Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 108

Postby Rydog » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 11:52pm

Adam Fitch and Geekbox forum member tnitnetny join us for this week's show. Apologies in advance for any wonky audio levels; I believe I got it all ironed out, but our crappy sixth mic was a little bit low. Anyway, enjoy!

And if you see Karen Chu or Alice Liang at PAX East this weekend, be sure to say hi!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 108

Postby LiQuid » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 12:14am

The liner notes for this week's show is a veritable laundry list of shit I want to hear you guys talk about.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 1:29am

Rydog wrote:Adam Fitch and Geekbox forum member tnitnetny join us for this week's show. Apologies in advance for any wonky audio levels; I believe I got it all ironed out, but our crappy sixth mic was a little bit low. Anyway, enjoy!

And if you see Karen Chu or Alice Liang at PAX East this weekend, be sure to say hi!

Please let this be a trend...
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 2:12am

Oh, hold on a second here... Did somebody troll me in the letters section this week? A guy named Eric (Movie Monk?), who is 30 from Wisconsin wrote looking for tips on how to learn Japanese... That is totally not me... It's even more suspicious cause I'm playing my second Japanese-ass RPG in the last month after spending the better part of the last decade disowning the country. :lol:

Who is this other, mysterious, 30-year-old Eric from Wisconsin???
LiQuid

Postby indieinsd » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 2:21am

LiQuid wrote:Oh, hold on a second here... Did somebody troll me in the letters section this week? A guy named Eric (Movie Monk?), who is 30 from Wisconsin wrote looking for tips on how to learn Japanese... That is totally not me... It's even more suspicious cause I'm playing my second Japanese-ass RPG in the last month after spending the better part of the last decade disowning the country. :lol:

Note to everyone sending in letters to the Geekbox: You are all 30 year olds from Wisconsin.

Also, Heads will come..... off.
indieinsd

Postby GhaleonQ » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 4:45am

No Alexander O. Smith knowledge? FOR SHAME. He does a lot of interviews, too.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422794 (1/2 of the topic's about how my serious Internet tone doesn't match my appearance. Sorry!)
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3300 ... s_Ogre.php
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=25985
http://squarehaven.com/news/2007/04/27/ ... er-O-Smith

He'd make for a great interview, Ryan, as he's genuinely funny and interesting in a way that video game nerds tend not to be.
GhaleonQ

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 7:15am

I think this is going to be a good one.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby IMLabman » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 7:43am

Pleeeeeeease let there be no more localization talk...pleeeeeeeeease! Downloading it now, so I'll see soon enough. :?
IMLabman

Postby Konanda » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 7:50am

LiQuid wrote:Oh, hold on a second here... Did somebody troll me in the letters section this week? A guy named Eric (Movie Monk?), who is 30 from Wisconsin wrote looking for tips on how to learn Japanese... That is totally not me... It's even more suspicious cause I'm playing my second Japanese-ass RPG in the last month after spending the better part of the last decade disowning the country. :lol:

It would be hilarious if that is the email kenzo decided to send in. Also listening now.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Lord-Audie » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 9:31am

Why don't just create the feedback thread?

Or are we waiting for ryan to create it?

Also listening now. Surprised about the Ms. Pac Man americaness.

Sup. Namco... we make them better pacmens. 8-)
Please join the #geekbox IRC channel at irc.rizon.net

for a quick browser way use http://webchat.rizon.net/

Just put a nick and #geekbox and GO! join the pHuN
Lord-Audie

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 9:34am

Crazy Otto! That was the original name of Ms Pac-Man. I couldn't remember it and it has been bugging me since Monday. I knew the original name wasn't Ms Pac-Man.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 10:41am

Toni I like how you gave Ryan crap for not using the forums for listener questions. I don't get why they don't just use both the forums and email.

I still say the Ghostbusters theme is more iconic/recognizable than any other movie or TV show.

I have Ryans and Higgins steam IDs but I need Karen, Adam and Justins so I can make them admins on the new TF2 server(they didn't even mention that we have a new server).

Ryan's dad sounds like he's a bigger gamer than Ryan, they should have him on the podcast.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 10:58am

Mr_eX wrote:I still say the Ghostbusters theme is more iconic/recognizable than any other movie or TV show.

Wrong. Oh so very wrong.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Konanda » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 11:00am

Mr_eX wrote:Toni I like how you gave Ryan crap for not using the forums for listener questions. I don't get why they don't just use both the forums and email.

I still say the Ghostbusters theme is more iconic/recognizable than any other movie or TV show.
I have Ryans and Higgins steam IDs but I need Karen, Adam and Justins so I can make them admins on the new TF2 server(they didn't even mention that we have a new server).

Ryan's dad sounds like he's a bigger gamer than Ryan, they should have him on the podcast.

You are insane good sir. Unless you are talking about just to Ghostubsters fans. Also did you email them about there being a new server? I mean I wouldn't expect Ryan to be reading that thread.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 11:16am

Hey, tnitnetny, remember this?

jinpei05 wrote:
tnitnetny wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Ha ha, if you're visiting on a Monday, maybe you'll be the first guest podcaster for 2011! You get my vote of confidence. ;)

Trust me, you wouldn't want that to happen. I would be one of those people that would sit and listen to everyone else and probably wouldn't contribute a whole lot. I am extremely outgoing and talkative, but always listen and defer to people who have a greater knowledge. Just want to give Master Higgins my money and deliver a present.

Hey, if I can do it, you can DEFINITELY do it. I'm just an ordinary dood who talked about stuff I liked with people of similar interests. Plus, you got the whole sexy redhead thing going for you, and the podcast can always use more female perspective. You still have my vote of confidence.

Looks like I was right: You did a terrific job. ;)
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 11:37am

How could anyone hear the Ghostbusters theme and not know what it's from instantly?

Konanda wrote:Also did you email them about there being a new server? I mean I wouldn't expect Ryan to be reading that thread.

Higgins updated the OP of the game night thread for me.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby tnitnetny » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 11:40am

jinpei05 wrote:Looks like I was right: You did a terrific job. ;)

Thanks, I was just planning on sitting and listening and watching, but was told "nope, you are participating". Had a LOT of fun and everyone is pretty awesome and welcoming in person.
tnitnetny
Geekbox VIP

Postby Coctopus » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 11:43am

I wonder if this means that tnitnetny gets to be bumped up to a Geekbox VIP.
Coctopus

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 11:44am

Mr_eX wrote:How could anyone hear the Ghostbusters theme and not know what it's from instantly?

Your claim is that the Ghostbusters theme is more iconic/recognizable than any other movie or TV show. The Star Wars theme is easily more iconic and recognizable. And that's just one of many more recognizable/iconic music themes.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 11:45am

tnitnetny wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Looks like I was right: You did a terrific job. ;)

Thanks, I was just planning on sitting and listening and watching, but was told "nope, you are participating". Had a LOT of fun and everyone is pretty awesome and welcoming in person.

You did a good job but the mic they gave you was terrible.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby GiantAsianMan » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 11:48am

Mr_eX wrote:How could anyone hear the Ghostbusters theme and not know what it's from instantly?

Going back to last episode's thread, because its I Want A New Drug.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 11:48am

jinpei05 wrote:

Your claim is that the Ghostbusters theme is more iconic/recognizable than any other movie or TV show. The Star Wars theme is easily more iconic and recognizable. And that's just one of many more recognizable/iconic music themes.

Sorry but nope, Ghostbusters theme is way more recognizable because the song it self is pretty popular and THEY SAY THE NAME OF THE MOVIE IN THE SONG TWENTY THOUSAND TIMES.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 11:49am

Mr_eX wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:

Sorry but nope, Ghostbusters theme is way more recognizable because the song it self is pretty popular and THEY SAY THE NAME OF THE MOVIE IN THE SONG TWENTY THOUSAND TIMES.

You're wrong. Deal with it.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Lord-Audie » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 11:54am

I wonder if the TF2 request is actually going work.
Please join the #geekbox IRC channel at irc.rizon.net

for a quick browser way use http://webchat.rizon.net/

Just put a nick and #geekbox and GO! join the pHuN
Lord-Audie

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 12:03pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:

So you think if 10,000 random people listened to the star wars and ghostbusters themes, more people would know what movie the star wars theme was from than ghostbusters?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby achickenchaser » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 12:05pm

Note to Ryan Scott: Us Final Fantasy 7 fans aren't falling for the troll bait. Give it up already.

and I don't get the problem with Hard Corps. It's nowhere near as hard as old-school Contra games.
achickenchaser

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 12:06pm

Mr_eX wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:

So you think if 10,000 random people listened to the star wars and ghostbusters themes, more people would know what movie the star wars theme was from than ghostbusters?

Yeah, because Star Wars is 10,000 times more iconic/prevalent in the world today. Are the Ghostbusters films getting a 3D release next year?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 12:11pm

jinpei05 wrote:Yeah, because Star Wars is 10,000 times more iconic/prevalent in the world today. Are the Ghostbusters films getting a 3D release next year?

I'm not saying the Ghostbusters movies are more popular than Star Wars I'm saying the song is more well known. What does milking a franchise have to do with how recognizable a theme song is?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 12:13pm

Mr_eX wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Yeah, because Star Wars is 10,000 times more iconic/prevalent in the world today. Are the Ghostbusters films getting a 3D release next year?

I'm not saying the Ghostbusters movies are more popular than Star Wars I'm saying the song is more well known. What does milking a franchise have to do with how recognizable a theme song is?

If a movie is being re-released in theaters and and home video, that repeated viewing of the source material as well as repeated listenings of the theme music is being jammed into your consciousness, thereby making it more recognizable and further cementing its iconic status.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 12:16pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:

If a movie is being re-released in theaters and and home video, that repeated viewing of the source material as well as repeated listenings of the theme music is being jammed into your consciousness, thereby making it more recognizable and further cementing its iconic status.

You'd be surprised how dumb people are though. A lot of people will hear the Star Wars theme and they'll realize they know it from somewhere but wont be able to remember what its from. No one can have that problem with the Ghostbusters theme.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Next
Forum Statistics