Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 4th, 2011 @ 10:40pm

Oh hey, look, Episode 2 is finally out! Already off format and schedule, two episodes in... I blame WonderCon.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby kenzo » Apr 4th, 2011 @ 11:12pm

Image
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 7:10am

That one has already been used.
BEARinaMANSUIT
User avatar
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Mar 14th, 2010 @ 12:06am
Location: Lakeside, California

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby Roadie Brock » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 8:07am

I'm definitely suffering from WonderCon exposure. I think I am getting it from being in close proximity to Higgins and his weak immune system.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
User avatar
Official Geekbox Roadie
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Nov 1st, 2009 @ 10:52pm
Location: Santa Clara, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 8:21am

Man, I sound terrible on this episode. Apologies in advanced. Next time I'm this sick, maybe we'll skip an episode.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby Roadie Brock » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 8:34am

Master Higgins wrote:Next time I'm think sick...


You are out of it today.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
User avatar
Official Geekbox Roadie
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Nov 1st, 2009 @ 10:52pm
Location: Santa Clara, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 8:40am

Roadie Brock wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:Next time I'm think sick...


You are out of it today.


No, I just can't type.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby Roadie Brock » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 8:47am

Master Higgins wrote:
Roadie Brock wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:Next time I'm think sick...


You are out of it today.


No, I just can't type.


This is true, because you know "every part of my aches" was this morning's status update.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
User avatar
Official Geekbox Roadie
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Nov 1st, 2009 @ 10:52pm
Location: Santa Clara, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 10:17am

Not surprised for the Frank Quitely love from Higgins, considering some of his best works paired him with Grant Morrison, including Batman & Robin.

Image
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby Roadie Brock » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 10:33am

jinpei05 wrote:Not surprised for the Frank Quitely love from Higgins, considering some of his best works paired him with Grant Morrison, including Batman & Robin.


So true! :)
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
User avatar
Official Geekbox Roadie
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Nov 1st, 2009 @ 10:52pm
Location: Santa Clara, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 10:36am

Roadie Brock wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Not surprised for the Frank Quitely love from Higgins, considering some of his best works paired him with Grant Morrison, including Batman & Robin.


So true! :)


BTW, Brock, make sure you check out the Wonder Woman DTV from DC Universe. It's the BEST one out of all the ones they made. And I don't even like Wonder Woman that much.

Another great podcast! Keep it up!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby kenzo » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 12:27pm

Great episode guys! I didn't really think Higgins sounded bad or anything... :? So far, I'm nerd-plague free.

This year's wondercon was also my first comic convention. It was interesting! I had to exercise a lot of self restraint to not waste a bunch of money there. Almost bought a bunch of animation cells that someone was selling. What I did walk away with was some lame swag from the Nintendo booth:

Image
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 12:30pm

kenzo wrote:This year's wondercon was also my first comic convention. It was interesting! I had to exercise a lot of self restraint to not waste a bunch of money there. Almost bought a bunch of animation cells that someone was selling. What I did walk away with was some lame swag from the Nintendo booth:


Smart move. Animation cels are practically worthless, unless they're from something like Steamboat Willie.

For me, cons are an opportunity to meet favorite writers and artists, like Sean Galloway:

Image
Last edited by jinpei05 on Apr 5th, 2011 @ 12:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 12:40pm

jinpei05 wrote:
kenzo wrote:This year's wondercon was also my first comic convention. It was interesting! I had to exercise a lot of self restraint to not waste a bunch of money there. Almost bought a bunch of animation cells that someone was selling. What I did walk away with was some lame swag from the Nintendo booth:


Smart move. Animation cels are practically worthless, unless they're from something like Steamboat Willie.


Yeah, I'm sure he only bought them for the future value.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby kenzo » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 12:52pm

Yeah, it's less the collector's mentality and more the "oh shit, that's fucking awesome that there's a physical part of my favorite cartoon on the wall of my room!" effect.

Some asshole was trying to sell cells to the 90s X-Men cartoon for like, 200 a pop. No thanks. But $10-20 for a badass original cell from the Star Trek animated show, or The Brave Little Toaster sounded much more reasonable and had me in a serious conundrum.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby kenzo » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 12:53pm

The original comic panel layouts were pretty sick to look through, but there's no way that shit is worth $1-10k per drawing. :roll:
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 12:57pm

kenzo wrote:The original comic panel layouts were pretty sick to look through, but there's no way that shit is worth $1-10k per drawing. :roll:


I know what booth you were looking at. Those guys pick up stuff hella cheap and take it to cons and price them like 20x what they paid for them.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 1:00pm

Master Higgins wrote:Yeah, I'm sure he only bought them for the future value.


There's also the fact that most of that stuff is sold by disreputable vendors who are selling fake production cels that weren't actually used, but are passable reproductions of said animation. Another reason I don't buy that kind of stuff at cons.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby kenzo » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 1:03pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:Yeah, I'm sure he only bought them for the future value.
There's also the fact that most of that stuff is sold by disreputable vendors who are selling fake production cels that weren't actually used, but are passable reproductions of said animation. Another reason I don't buy that kind of stuff at cons.
Yeah, but at $10 for a cell for a cartoon nobody has heard of, it's not really worth it to fake it by hand-painting that ish. They did have some reproductions though that were clearly fake and labeled so.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby kenzo » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 1:04pm

Master Higgins wrote:
kenzo wrote:The original comic panel layouts were pretty sick to look through, but there's no way that shit is worth $1-10k per drawing. :roll:
I know what booth you were looking at. Those guys pick up stuff hella cheap and take it to cons and price them like 20x what they paid for them.
Makes sense. You only need to sucker one guy into buying one and you've got rent for the next half a year.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 1:05pm

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:Yeah, I'm sure he only bought them for the future value.
There's also the fact that most of that stuff is sold by disreputable vendors who are selling fake production cels that weren't actually used, but are passable reproductions of said animation. Another reason I don't buy that kind of stuff at cons.
Yeah, but at $10 for a cell for a cartoon nobody has heard of, it's not really worth it to fake it by hand-painting that ish. They did have some reproductions though that were clearly fake and labeled so.


Just trying to look out for your bottom dollar, that's all.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 3:01pm

All Atlanta gets is Dragon-Con :(
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 3:07pm

Mr_eX wrote:All Atlanta gets is Dragon-Con :(


Does it suck?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 5:14pm

I've never been to it but it's clearly not as big as wonder con or comic con. Heres the guest list for this years dragon con
http://www.dragoncon.org/dc_guests_list.php
Last edited by Mr_eX on Apr 5th, 2011 @ 5:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 5:25pm

Mr_eX wrote:I've never been to it but it's clearly not as big as wonder con or comic con. Heres the guest list for this years though
http://www.dragoncon.org/dc_guests_list.php


You got Kirk, Spock, Freddy Krueger, AND Amy Okuda? That's not a terrible con...
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 5:27pm

Also Doc Brown, Stargate people, Xander from Buffy and Jayne from Firefly
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby kenzo » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 5:42pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:I've never been to it but it's clearly not as big as wonder con or comic con. Heres the guest list for this years though
http://www.dragoncon.org/dc_guests_list.php


You got Kirk, Spock, Freddy Krueger, AND Amy Okuda? That's not a terrible con...
Too bad Mr_eX thinks Star Trek is boring because all he's really seen is Seasons 1 & 2 of TNG. :roll:
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 5:53pm

I'm on season 3.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby kenzo » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 5:55pm

You should elaborate about that more in the Star Trek thread you made.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 2

Postby LiQuid » Apr 5th, 2011 @ 6:42pm

Mr_eX wrote:I've never been to it but it's clearly not as big as wonder con or comic con. Heres the guest list for this years dragon con
http://www.dragoncon.org/dc_guests_list.php


Authors:

Laurell K. Hamilton

GO! GET AUTOGRAPH! TELL HER LIQUID LOVES VAMPIRE PENIS AS MUCH AS SHE DOES!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Next
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron