Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 116

Postby Rydog » May 5th, 2011 @ 12:00am

This week's episode includes some quick Bin Laden talk (we don't yammer on for too long, don't worry!), and some Portal 2 chatter. Spoiler warning for the very end (we warn ahead of time, so no worries).
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 116

Postby oof46 » May 5th, 2011 @ 4:37am

Was somewhat disappointed that you guys didn't talk about Day of the Moon until...plaque pot. If it isn't in the dictionary yet, it should be. D'oh! and truthiness made it. Why not plaque pot?
oof46

Postby Raine » May 5th, 2011 @ 9:21am

oof46 wrote:Was somewhat disappointed that you guys didn't talk about Day of the Moon until...plaque pot. If it isn't in the dictionary yet, it should be. D'oh! and truthiness made it. Why not plaque pot?

. . . was that English?
Raine

Postby tenudin » May 5th, 2011 @ 10:16am

Listening to the wow discussion now. Tanks don't queue for randoms because they don't want to deal with dumb dps. When I still played during wrath, I refused to run with anyone other than my guild as a tank. Tanks were (and I'm assuming still are) highly valued. So why not just wait a few and run with your own pre-made crew?
tenudin

Postby flufflogic » May 5th, 2011 @ 10:51am

I think he may have been reaching for a common British phrase, "plant pot". It indeed means useless, disposable.

The thing I'm hating about the Bin Laden crap is the amount of people passing that crappy "Obama deserves no credit, our soldiers did it" crap. He's their Commander in Chief, and without him saying so it wouldn't have happened. It's like saying directors and writers do nothing films, it's the actors.
flufflogic

Postby Bobloblaw » May 5th, 2011 @ 11:02am

Foul! I was excited to hear about the promised Portal 2 talk only to have my hopes dashed by Ryan's relentless timekeeping.
Bobloblaw

Postby Adam Fitch » May 5th, 2011 @ 11:20am

flufflogic wrote:I think he may have been reaching for a common British phrase, "plant pot". It indeed means useless, disposable.

You're actually right! I stole it from Noel Gallagher, who described the rest of the members of Oasis besides him and Liam as "plant pots." Because of his accent, though, I heard it as "plack pots." I thought it was a great phrase, and me and my brother have been using it ever since as kind of an inside joke. This was ages ago, by the way, like 1995. It's only now that I know what the correct term is. Thanks!
Adam Fitch
The Evil Twin

Postby Mr_eX » May 5th, 2011 @ 11:25am

During the Portal 2 spoiler talk(I'm trying not to give away any spoilers), Brock singling out that movie was really dumb because that happens in 3 of the 4 movies in the franchise.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby oof46 » May 5th, 2011 @ 12:47pm

You're actually right! I stole it from Noel Gallagher, who described the rest of the members of Oasis besides him and Liam as "plant pots."

Damn I was way off. Oh well, maybe people on the forums will start using it.

Example: Oof46 thinks he's so important on the forums, but everyone else thinks he's a plant pot.
oof46

Postby flufflogic » May 5th, 2011 @ 12:47pm

Adam Fitch wrote:
flufflogic wrote:I think he may have been reaching for a common British phrase, "plant pot". It indeed means useless, disposable.

You're actually right! I stole it from Noel Gallagher, who described the rest of the members of Oasis besides him and Liam as "plant pots." Because of his accent, though, I heard it as "plack pots." I thought it was a great phrase, and me and my brother have been using it ever since as kind of an inside joke. This was ages ago, by the way, like 1995. It's only now that I know what the correct term is. Thanks!

*Bows*

Oasis and cricket, eh? You'll be joining Alice over here next!
flufflogic

Postby jinpei05 » May 5th, 2011 @ 2:34pm

Ha ha ha, Ryan sharing the Robert Coffey - Star Wars Galaxies Twi'lek dancer story from the CGW Radio podcast, 6/13/2006. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert Coffey: Oh, I got to get back, I've got clients waiting for me.

Jeff Green: Dude. Inside voice. :roll:

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... php?t=6501
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Adam Fitch » May 5th, 2011 @ 5:12pm

flufflogic wrote:
Adam Fitch wrote:

*Bows*

I'm actually a huge Anglophile... I'm a huge soccer nerd, most of my favorite bands are British, and I love UK television. Hence why Doctor Who was a natural fit for me. :-)

If you want, you can follow me on twitter, but I mostly talk about Japanese soccer, so, it might be kind of boring...

http://twitter.com/vegalta_gaijin
Adam Fitch
The Evil Twin

Postby oof46 » May 5th, 2011 @ 7:14pm

Since they didn't discuss the Doctor Who episode...anyone got any new theories or ideas on who the little girl is?
Last edited by oof46 on May 5th, 2011 @ 11:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
oof46

Postby Konanda » May 5th, 2011 @ 7:34pm

Adam Fitch wrote:
flufflogic wrote:
Adam Fitch wrote:

*Bows*

I'm actually a huge Anglophile... I'm a huge soccer nerd, most of my favorite bands are British, and I love UK television. Hence why Doctor Who was a natural fit for me. :-)

If you want, you can follow me on twitter, but I mostly talk about Japanese soccer, so, it might be kind of boring...

http://twitter.com/vegalta_gaijin

Adam I'm imagining you listening to this
with your headphones on in bed and silently swooning. Is this an accurate potrayal? I mean they are pretty dreamy. :oops:
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby flufflogic » May 6th, 2011 @ 4:24am

I'm just hoping Adam listens to the likes of Pulp, Arctic Monkeys, Blur and Radiohead too. Oh, and the Editors. And Muse. And, shit, I could do this all day.
flufflogic

Postby LiQuid » May 6th, 2011 @ 10:17am

So... every shitty, popular band Britain has ever shat out?
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 6th, 2011 @ 11:52am

British music is overrated.
kenzo

Postby Lord-Audie » May 6th, 2011 @ 12:13pm

kenzo wrote:British music is overrated.

How come I'm not surprised to read this... :?
Please join the #geekbox IRC channel at irc.rizon.net

for a quick browser way use http://webchat.rizon.net/

Just put a nick and #geekbox and GO! join the pHuN
Lord-Audie

Postby jinpei05 » May 6th, 2011 @ 12:17pm

Lord-Audie wrote:
kenzo wrote:British music is overrated.

How come I'm not surprised to read this... :?

:lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » May 6th, 2011 @ 12:19pm

I like British music just fine (loved Oasis back in the day), but it's overrated. But then and again, most music is overrated. Except Bossa Nova. That shit is rad.
kenzo

Postby Adam Fitch » May 6th, 2011 @ 1:15pm

Konanda wrote:Adam I'm imagining you listening to this
with your headphones on in bed and silently swooning. Is this an accurate potrayal? I mean they are pretty dreamy. :oops:

Actually, the only music I usually listen to in bed is stuff like Doves, Sigur Rós, AIR, etc... Kind of ethereal stuff that makes me think/relax.
Adam Fitch
The Evil Twin

Postby Adam Fitch » May 6th, 2011 @ 1:25pm

flufflogic wrote:I'm just hoping Adam listens to the likes of Pulp, Arctic Monkeys, Blur and Radiohead too. Oh, and the Editors. And Muse. And, shit, I could do this all day.

Pulp = Hell yes. Got into them back in '95.

Arctic Monkeys = Some girl made me listen to them when I was dating her. They weren't bad, but I didn't fall in love with them. I haven't listened to them in awhile, though.

Blur = My second favorite band ever behind Depeche Mode. Saw them at Hyde Park 2 years ago with my brother.

Editors = Same girl made me listen to them. Again, not bad, but I don't really remember them.

Radiohead = OK Computer is my favorite album ever.

Muse = Been a fan of them since "Showbiz". A Japanese girl introduced them to me, funnily enough.

You left off Doves. They're one of my favorite bands, too.
Adam Fitch
The Evil Twin

Postby Lord-Audie » May 6th, 2011 @ 4:49pm

Adam Fitch wrote:
flufflogic wrote:I'm just hoping Adam listens to the likes of Pulp, Arctic Monkeys, Blur and Radiohead too. Oh, and the Editors. And Muse. And, shit, I could do this all day.

Pulp = Hell yes. Got into them back in '95.

Arctic Monkeys = Some girl made me listen to them when I was dating her. They weren't bad, but I didn't fall in love with them. I haven't listened to them in awhile, though.

Blur = My second favorite band ever behind Depeche Mode. Saw them at Hyde Park 2 years ago with my brother.

Editors = Same girl made me listen to them. Again, not bad, but I don't really remember them.

Radiohead = OK Computer is my favorite album ever.

Muse = Been a fan of them since "Showbiz". A Japanese girl introduced them to me, funnily enough.

You left off Doves. They're one of my favorite bands, too.

Pulp = I do love "different Class".

Artic Monkeys: "Whatever people say I am..."

Don't listen that much of Muse, Blur, Editor and You left off Doves

As for Radiohead, is unhealthy the love i have for this band. Not to say I love all their albums. I have yet to sit down and listen king of limbs. I consider their finest work to be "In Raibows".
Please join the #geekbox IRC channel at irc.rizon.net

for a quick browser way use http://webchat.rizon.net/

Just put a nick and #geekbox and GO! join the pHuN
Lord-Audie

Postby kenzo » May 6th, 2011 @ 5:59pm

I think it's funny that the same people who complain that this or that MMO isn't as good as WoW and they just want to play WoW or a game just like WoW instead, and that WoW is "perfect." But now, these same guys are complaining that the genre is stagnant or uninspired? I wonder why. :lol:
kenzo

Postby hadododo » May 6th, 2011 @ 6:59pm

hadododo

Postby flufflogic » May 7th, 2011 @ 1:25am

I missed off Elbow as well. Still! I do love my music.
flufflogic

Postby WickedCobra03 » May 7th, 2011 @ 3:39pm

First, I miss Karen (you can eat whatever you want... some of the funniest moments when you were eating while reading that super sexualized comic book that you hated and gave us updates throughout the podcast, haha). But also, I love the fact that one of the Fitch's can make it.

I totally agree with Higgens about the Mass Effect thing! I loved the first and just got done playing the 2nd this weekend and was less than impressed. Okay, so the Giant Bombcast was actually the thing that got me into playing Mass Effect after their glowing 5 day GotY discussion on Mass Effect 2. Compared to the first, I was much less impressed. The story was nowhere near as awesome as Mass Effect 1. The 2nd turned the series into a full on shooter and n00b'd any real choice in how you upgrade your character or weapons. I felt like Mass Effect 2 was made for the "Fischer Price" crowd in that there was one "easy" button that just did everything. I felt that the rover sequences in the first were not as bad as everyone said; but also note that I went in knowing those sections were not the shining gems of the game.

Oh, and I play as girls in games... not to look at their butts either, but more just that I have been gaming since I was a kid in the late 80's and 90's where there were ONLY male characters really minus Samus. So whenever I have gotten a chance, I will play as a female character. And I know I am going to sound like a "old man, get off my lawn" type, but I wish the dude 'bros would stay out of my hobby! I am not at all a nerd, but I hate dude 'bros with a passion. They are probably one of the lower common denominators of humanity...

Oh, and thank you at least for the Portal 2 warnings. I have not gotten to the game yet with exams coming up, but I was riding my Ninja on my way home with 1 earbud in my ear under my helmet and I start freaking out when you were talking about the end, but couldn't do anything because I was getting off the freeway onto an off-ramp while turning so I really couldn't go and hit the pause button with the iPod sitting on the inside of my riding jacket. So I just started a mild yelling session in my helmet to block out the podcast talking for the 20 seconds until I could hit the pause button, lol! :lol:
WickedCobra03

Postby LiQuid » May 7th, 2011 @ 3:55pm

Wicked Cobra, your user name is rad as fuck, but were there really two Wicked Cobras before you?
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 7th, 2011 @ 5:12pm

LiQuid wrote:Wicked Cobra, your user name is rad as fuck, but were there really two Wicked Cobras before you?
I'mma say it's probably the year he graduated from hs or something.
kenzo

Postby WickedCobra03 » May 8th, 2011 @ 8:03am

kenzo wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Wicked Cobra, your user name is rad as fuck, but were there really two Wicked Cobras before you?
I'mma say it's probably the year he graduated from hs or something.
Haha, thanks. Okay, so I used to go by Just WickedCobra in all my PC games back in the day like CS, quake and whatever else. Then I started using the 03, one because I didn't want to deal with anyone else having that name, and two, it was the year of my Mustang... Cobra Mustangs... so yeah... that is why I decided to put the 03 in there.

Thanks though. It is actually pretty tough coming up with a name that you will want to use forever, but also a name that no one else has already taken.
WickedCobra03

Next
Forum Statistics