Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 119

Postby Rydog » May 26th, 2011 @ 9:16am

Oops, this week's podcast is late because I am bad. Hopefully our six-hour reflection on the life and times of the Macho Man makes up for it!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 119

Postby LiQuid » May 26th, 2011 @ 9:44am

This podcast is not 6 hours. :evil:

But Ape makes an appearance! :o
LiQuid

Postby jw_6179 » May 26th, 2011 @ 10:52am

Rydog wrote:Oops, this week's podcast is late because I am bad. Hopefully our six-hour reflection on the life and times of the Macho Man makes up for it!
jw_6179

Postby TAYREL713 » May 26th, 2011 @ 11:11am

So I had to go and look up Mechanically separated chicken, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical ... rated_meat it makes since but is kind of gross in the product that comes out. :cry:
TAYREL713

Postby Lord-Audie » May 26th, 2011 @ 12:20pm

"I don't like INTERACTING with people"

- Adam Fitch
Please join the #geekbox IRC channel at irc.rizon.net

for a quick browser way use http://webchat.rizon.net/

Just put a nick and #geekbox and GO! join the pHuN
Lord-Audie

Postby kenzo » May 26th, 2011 @ 12:31pm

TAYREL713 wrote:So I had to go and look up Mechanically separated chicken, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical ... rated_meat it makes since but is kind of gross in the product that comes out. :cry:

Ya know, mechanically separated chicken meat is gross and all... but people who complain about it probably don't deal with a lot of raw meat anyways. Because any dead, uncooked flesh off an animal is inherently gross to begin with - especially when you have to skin, gut, and debone it yourself. IMO - if you've ever skinned a chicken before, then you have the right to complain about separated chicken meat. Otherwise, you're just being prissy without any actual context.
kenzo

Postby TAYREL713 » May 26th, 2011 @ 1:35pm

I'm just saying a chicken has a familiar look, mechanically separated chicken, kind of looks like play dough, though familiar as a play thing, not so much as a meal. We have an expectation when one says chicken and it ain't the version one would get from the machined variant.
TAYREL713

Postby flufflogic » May 26th, 2011 @ 3:12pm

Processed ham's basically the same. It's about making the most of the carcass, basically, and it's what happens when profit is the drive. Live under capitalism, expect this. It's like the cruelty of how Danish bacon comes to be.
flufflogic

Postby kenzo » May 26th, 2011 @ 4:05pm

flufflogic wrote:Processed ham's basically the same. It's about making the most of the carcass, basically, and it's what happens when profit is the drive. Live under capitalism, expect this. It's like the cruelty of how Danish bacon comes to be.
Look at these capitalist pigs!

kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » May 26th, 2011 @ 5:04pm

kenzo wrote:
flufflogic wrote:Processed ham's basically the same. It's about making the most of the carcass, basically, and it's what happens when profit is the drive. Live under capitalism, expect this. It's like the cruelty of how Danish bacon comes to be.

I didn't know Native Americans hunted pigs.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » May 26th, 2011 @ 5:19pm

That's exactly what I said and insinuated, jinpei. :roll:

Also, yeah, some did.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » May 26th, 2011 @ 5:19pm

TNG is my favorite Star Trek, just because of nostalgia. But DS9 is an objectively better show.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » May 26th, 2011 @ 5:27pm

kenzo wrote:That's exactly what I said and insinuated, jinpei. :roll:

Also, yeah, some did.

Specifically the ones in the photo you showed? Those look like Plains Indians, and I'm not sure how many pigs there were in the Plains.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » May 26th, 2011 @ 5:57pm

You're digressing and missing the point.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » May 26th, 2011 @ 6:36pm

kenzo wrote:
TAYREL713 wrote:So I had to go and look up Mechanically separated chicken, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical ... rated_meat it makes since but is kind of gross in the product that comes out. :cry:

Ya know, mechanically separated chicken meat is gross and all... but people who complain about it probably don't deal with a lot of raw meat anyways. Because any dead, uncooked flesh off an animal is inherently gross to begin with - especially when you have to skin, gut, and debone it yourself. IMO - if you've ever skinned a chicken before, then you have the right to complain about separated chicken meat. Otherwise, you're just being prissy without any actual context.

Never skinned one but I've dipped many in the boiling water, pulled their feathers off and than gut them.

Oh and for anyone that has never gutted a chicken you have to keep, cook and than eat the heart and the gizzard, they are delicious.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby flufflogic » May 27th, 2011 @ 12:49am

kenzo wrote:

No no no. They used every part of the animal for something - but the healthy parts. They didn't spray the carcass down with water, take the tiny pieces that fall off and press them together to make more food. There's a massive difference between finding a use for every part and mechanically separated meats.
flufflogic

Postby Raine » May 27th, 2011 @ 11:38am

Konanda wrote:Oh and for anyone that has never gutted a chicken you have to keep, cook and than eat the heart and the gizzard, they are delicious.

Deep fried gizzards and hearts are yummy. I think I'll make some tonight.
Raine

Postby kenzo » May 27th, 2011 @ 12:44pm

flufflogic wrote:No no no. They used every part of the animal for something - but the healthy parts. They didn't spray the carcass down with water, take the tiny pieces that fall off and press them together to make more food. There's a massive difference between finding a use for every part and mechanically separated meats.
Is there really a difference between someone scraping off as much meat as possible to make a chicken nugget, and just eating the whole bird - skin and all - when you eat a piece of chicken from KFC? It seems like irrational semantics to me.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » May 27th, 2011 @ 3:47pm

This was a really good episode.

The first two seasons of Torchwood are not worth watching. The Children of Earth miniseries is though.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » May 27th, 2011 @ 5:21pm

Yeah, I loved this episode. Fitch makes this show now. Easily the best.
kenzo

Postby dabeast0976 » May 27th, 2011 @ 5:33pm

Mr_eX wrote:This was a really good episode.

The first two seasons of Torchwood are not worth watching. The Children of Earth miniseries is though.

All of Torchwood was good. Stop being melodramatic.

And did anyone else catch Adam outing his age? Andrew must be having a panic attack that someone knows something about him.

Also, is "For its time" the new, "it is what it is"?
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby Mr_eX » May 27th, 2011 @ 8:22pm

dabeast0976 wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:This was a really good episode.

All of Torchwood was good. Stop being melodramatic.

And did anyone else catch Adam outing his age? Andrew must be having a panic attack that someone knows something about him.

Also, is "For its time" the new, "it is what it is"?

I'm not being melodramatic, I really disliked the show.

Adam watched 3.5 seasons of Doctor Who in like two weeks. It's taken Higgins over a year to watch 1.5 seasons. Adam is the best.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » May 27th, 2011 @ 8:46pm

Mr_eX wrote:Adam watched 3.5 seasons of Doctor Who in like two weeks. It's taken Higgins over a year to watch 1.5 seasons. Adam is the best.
kenzo

Postby Gonk » May 28th, 2011 @ 2:30am

My brother worked on the special effects of Doctor Who and was often complaining that the BBC was making constant cuts to the special effects budget and more and more of it was going towards CGI rather than the physical effects.
Gonk

Postby Mr_eX » May 28th, 2011 @ 7:23am

The werewolf CG was probably the best Doctor Who has ever had.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby flufflogic » May 28th, 2011 @ 7:38am

kenzo wrote:
flufflogic wrote:No no no. They used every part of the animal for something - but the healthy parts. They didn't spray the carcass down with water, take the tiny pieces that fall off and press them together to make more food. There's a massive difference between finding a use for every part and mechanically separated meats.
Is there really a difference between someone scraping off as much meat as possible to make a chicken nugget, and just eating the whole bird - skin and all - when you eat a piece of chicken from KFC? It seems like irrational semantics to me.

The difference is, when the Indians did it, they were people. McDonalds are doing it with machines, which don't discern between bits that clearly shouldn't be consumed or not. That's why in the past people have found all sorts of stuff in McNuggets...
flufflogic

Postby Raine » May 28th, 2011 @ 8:47am

flufflogic wrote:The difference is, when the Indians did it, they were people. McDonalds are doing it with machines, which don't discern between bits that clearly shouldn't be consumed or not. That's why in the past people have found all sorts of stuff in McNuggets...

Source? I usually hate when people do that in casual message board discussion, and I don't need links, but I would like to know when/where you heard this, if you can remember. People are so often "boo mass production, everything should be organic, let's get all our food from the local farm and local butcher and grow our own vegetables", but technology is a wonderful thing. Mass production keeps food prices low and makes stuff convenient. We should always be vigilant to make sure our food isn't unnecessarily unhealthy or dangerous, but we shouldn't act like all mass production is bad.
Raine

Postby Master Higgins » May 28th, 2011 @ 9:29am

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Adam watched 3.5 seasons of Doctor Who in like two weeks. It's taken Higgins over a year to watch 1.5 seasons. Adam is the best.

Hey, I'm back on the wagon! Should be done with the 1st Tennant season by next episode.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kingNOR » May 28th, 2011 @ 7:01pm

Hey guys, I was just listening to the talk about the board game movies and how you said "those won't get made"

Unfortunately I can vouch for one of them. A few months ago I was visiting Hawaii and I visited the USS Missouri.

There was film equipment every where and signs stating the site would be closed for filming soon. The shuttle bus driver said it was for the film "Battleship, based on the board game."

:(
kingNOR

Postby Tristessa » May 28th, 2011 @ 7:19pm

On Dr. Who...

The Dr.'s granddaughter Susan did return in the episode "The Five Doctors". Which was a Peter Davison episode, who, by the way, wasn't goofy (even if some of his stories' plots were).

And put me down in the column for Torchwood being a terrific show. After the first episode, it's goes through a few lesser quality ones, as it finds it's footing. Following that stretch, it's very much worth making time for.

After the miniseries approach of season three, Russel Davies had said Torchwood probably wouldn't go back to stand alone episodes. The new season is a ten episode story arc. I can't wait!

Great conversation this week folks - funny stuff! =)
Tristessa

Next
Forum Statistics