Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 21

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 6th, 2011 @ 12:29pm

LiQuid wrote:Seriously, I'm not even trying to be mean but how do you function?
LiQuid wrote:You're clearly unfamiliar with the concept and kind of a dumbass.

LiQuid wrote:Are you a native English speaker? How old are you? I feel like I'm having a conversation with a doorknob.

:roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

To clarify again, Flashpoint wasn't as much a failure as it was a disappointment. Johns played it too safe with the final resolution and the overall story suffered as a result. Anyone could predicat that either Barry or Thawne was going to die, and the universe was going to be corrected at some great cost.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Sep 6th, 2011 @ 2:46pm

You guys are calling me out for being a dick, and that's fine, I'm used to it. But did you guys honestly read both sides of that conversation? I might as well have literally been smashing my head into a wall for all the comprehension that guy had over what I was saying.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Sep 6th, 2011 @ 2:50pm

The guy actually used the phrase "plausible and interesting MacGuffin!!" I don't even have the words to quantify the stupidity!
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 6th, 2011 @ 4:04pm

Prometheum5 wrote:
LiQuid wrote:It's really not convoluted at all. The best I can figure is the majority of comic fans are just real stupid.

I certainly wouldn't disagree with you there. I would have to assume that, moving forward, the DC universe will be much cleaner and more streamlined, and that's probably a very good thing. Whatt amazes me is that they could run the entire continuity into such a point that it needed the hardest reset comics have ever seen. Listening to some of the past episodes of CC where Ryan describes things like Superboy Prime is the most mind-boggling shit I have ever heard. How can people even put up with that nonsense? For frame of reference, I enjoyed Heroes Reborn, and even I thought that Infinite Crisis stuff sounded absurd.

Really? You're going to give Heroes Reborn a pass, but not Infinite Crisis? They're equally mind-boggling, but at least Infinite Crisis had the benefit of not having Rob Liefeld as one of its artists.

And let's be clear: they didn't NEED to reset their universe. Comics have always been harshly unapologetic to new readers, and DC is no exception. I had to learn character histories, track down back issues, and become acquainted with the writers and artists on their payroll. They did this to bring in new readers on a massive scale because their readership is way down compared to Marvel, and frankly, Warner Brothers is sick of it and calling them to task on the matter.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Prometheum5 » Sep 6th, 2011 @ 4:40pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Prometheum5 wrote:
LiQuid wrote:It's really not convoluted at all. The best I can figure is the majority of comic fans are just real stupid.

I certainly wouldn't disagree with you there. I would have to assume that, moving forward, the DC universe will be much cleaner and more streamlined, and that's probably a very good thing. Whatt amazes me is that they could run the entire continuity into such a point that it needed the hardest reset comics have ever seen. Listening to some of the past episodes of CC where Ryan describes things like Superboy Prime is the most mind-boggling shit I have ever heard. How can people even put up with that nonsense? For frame of reference, I enjoyed Heroes Reborn, and even I thought that Infinite Crisis stuff sounded absurd.

Really? You're going to give Heroes Reborn a pass, but not Infinite Crisis? They're equally mind-boggling, but at least Infinite Crisis had the benefit of not having Rob Liefeld as one of its artists.

And let's be clear: they didn't NEED to reset their universe. Comics have always been harshly unapologetic to new readers, and DC is no exception. I had to learn character histories, track down back issues, and become acquainted with the writers and artists on their payroll. They did this to bring in new readers on a massive scale because their readership is way down compared to Marvel, and frankly, Warner Brothers is sick of it and calling them to task on the matter.

Oh, I absolutely understand the sales reasoning for the new 52, and I am genuinely interested to see how it fares. To the other point, I am not a super-read guy, but Higgins' description of stuff like Crisis, or Superboy make them sound way sillier than Heroes Reborn ever got. As for the art, I'm an Iron Man guy, and we got Portacio, and then Lee if I'm remembering right, so it was all gravy.
Prometheus Rising Studios
Follow my Twitter for in progress shots of whatever I'm working on.
Prometheum5

Postby LiQuid » Sep 6th, 2011 @ 4:43pm

The sad part is, past the initial surge that should last a few months (with the adult holdouts like me jumping on the bandwagon) where there will be healthier than normal sales, unless there is a drastic overhaul to the way comics are distributed this is hardly going to spearhead a great resurgence of the modern comic book. Higgins said it before. Kids don't read comic books anymore. And until comic books get to places where they are already spending their allowance (my local corner store growing up is solely responsible for my interest in comics) or are with their parents, like a grocery or department store, kids won't start.

I'm smart cause I read an article. :)
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 6th, 2011 @ 4:46pm

Prometheum5 wrote:Oh, I absolutely understand the sales reasoning for the new 52, and I am genuinely interested to see how it fares. To the other point, I am not a super-read guy, but Higgins' description of stuff like Crisis, or Superboy make them sound way sillier than Heroes Reborn ever got. As for the art, I'm an Iron Man guy, and we got Portacio, and then Lee if I'm remembering right, so it was all gravy.

Really? Franklin Richards saves the Avengers, Fantastic Four, and Doctor Doom from Onslaught by putting them in his ball, and that's LESS silly???

And it's a good thing Jim Lee decided to throw Marvel a bone with his work; otherwise, this would be the lasting image of Heroes Reborn:

jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Previous
Forum Statistics