Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 23

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 6:04am

New episode is up, go have a listen!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 23

Postby LiQuid » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 6:14am

You're lucky you snuck Animal Man in there at the end. I was about to have a hissy fit.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 7:42am

Really glad Brock hasn't read Animal Man yet cause if you had started dropping spoilers on the podcast right as the reboot has brought on the the opportunity to get more people like me into Morrison's run I might have cried. Everybody who reads this thread: go buy, borrow or steal Animal Man #1. Wait for the second print if you have to, but make sure you get it. Then get all 3 of Morrison's books. The art (and holy shit the haircuts) are dated as all hell, and you have to put up with a lot of Morrison's hilarious bullshittery (oh noes, the madmans are stabbing babby dolphins!!! stop eating meat U murdarars!!!), but some of the shit that happens in the book defies what should be possible in a book like this. I'm almost done with it and I don't wanna be.
LiQuid

Postby TheAngryBanana » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 8:03am

Good on the other Comic Conspiracy owner for standing up for his beliefs.
TheAngryBanana

Postby rchapoteau » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 11:31am

I'm listening now. So far so good.

Just dropping my 2 cents on the digital discussion. I've been in and out of comics for over 25 years now. I have boxes and boxes of books, but I really don't want to have physical books anymore. I'm totally interested in moving over to digital. The only thing that is stopping me is that its more expensive then buying physical media when you factor in discounts and incentives (digital distribution as a whole not just for comics but also games and other things is really pissing me off because of this).

Its kind of funny that the only reason I'm still buying physical books is because the digital price is to high.
rchapoteau

Postby IRL_Troll » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 11:43am

TheAngryBanana wrote:Good on the other Comic Conspiracy owner for standing up for his beliefs.

I smell a troll. However, I'll pretend you're not. The goatee sporting comics conspiracy at best is misguided in standing up for his beliefs, because I'm going to bet he's got plenty of comics that have witch-craft, heathens at the center of the story, or exist in a world where Yahweh can not exist (IE, the main Marvel or DC universes) and so on, or is a complete hypocrite. I'll be generous and assume the former
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby LiQuid » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 12:06pm

Hey Higgins, by the way, I always appreciate hearing my nickname spoken on the internet but next time maybe try a little harder not to vocalize my hyperbole? Or at least maybe try and deadpan it more like I do? The way you were doing it sounded so desperately nerdy. I feel a little misrepresented. :(
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 1:52pm

LiQuid wrote:Hey Higgins, by the way, I always appreciate hearing my nickname spoken on the internet but next time maybe try a little harder not to vocalize my hyperbole? Or at least maybe try and deadpan it more like I do? The way you were doing it sounded so desperately nerdy. I feel a little misrepresented. :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll tell the world how much you hate everything next week.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Atomike » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 6:50pm

Just listened to the latest episode, and I must say that I was really surprised at the reaction to the guy who boycotted Action Comics. Granted, it's a little weird for this guy complain, while saying nothing about the other immoralities in modern comics - but still. Although you may not have intended to do so, the episode made it sound like you couldn't believe someone would be upset about this. It was almost as if you were discounting any opinion that is religious in nature - and I found this intellectually frustrating.

I believe in God for many reasons - at least partially because of my study of modern astro, quantum, and theoretical physics. Based on decades of study in many fields, I simply can't understand anyone dismissing ideas solely because the speaker takes God or religion seriously.

Perhaps I am overly sensitive in this area, however, I often run across people who have never studied religion or physics (or have any real grasp of the first and second laws of thermodynamics) trying to tell me that they "know" God doesn't exist. I can't very well cram 30 years of study into a single conversation. But regardless, I think you can see my point, and I appreciate any good conversation on the matter.

Again, this was perhaps not your meaning or intention in any way, and if so, please disregard.
Last edited by Atomike on Sep 13th, 2011 @ 8:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atomike

Postby LiQuid » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 6:55pm

No one is dismissing his religious point of views (except maybe me, because I think zealots in general are fucking morons). They're dismissing the fact that the guy took a grunt and turned it into a personal affront to his sensibilities. It was a bullshit, knee jerk reaction that made NO sense whatsoever, from any standpoint, religious or otherwise.
LiQuid

Postby rchapoteau » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 10:36pm

That was the case up until Ryan said something along the lines of, Even if he did say God Damn that it shouldn't have mattered.

Note, I don't think it should have mattered, but if someone wants to get all uppity about it because of their beliefs more power to them. The fact that this person carries cross in their store is insane though.
rchapoteau

Postby LiQuid » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 11:01pm

I don't know how long you've been listening, but you can't really take most of what Higgins and Brock say in relation to these hot button topics at 100% face value. Half the time every time something like this comes up it's all they can do to stop themselves from going off on borderline tangents. It's pretty clear that they both just thought that his reaction was ridiculous, which it was, regardless of Morrison's intent with "GD"
LiQuid

Postby SerpentineZERO » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 11:05pm

A Suicide Squad episode? Sweet.
SerpentineZERO

Postby LiQuid » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 11:10pm

Yeah seriously. I don't feel like sending in an E-mail, but my question for the Suicide Squad episode is:

Seriously, what the fuck is the Suicide Squad...?

I've heard Ryan Scott mention it a billion times on Geekbox and I tried Wiki searching it and haven't been able to get a simple answer.
LiQuid

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Sep 14th, 2011 @ 12:00am

If you could get a simple answer there wouldn't be a reboot and an entire episode devoted to it.

I thought it was a slightly silly when you talk about the high cost of trades and then help a listener pare down his pull list to an amount still more expensive. Comic publishers like the floppies and trades because they get to sell you a story twice, complete with ads better suited to your younger sibling or in some cases your kids. That's why they promoted Geoff Johns so high; Sinestro Corps War teased Blackest Night and that hinted at War of the Green Lanterns. His single issues collect well in trades and tease next years' stories.

But I'm the guy who thinks they should keep a couple OGN's worth of Hawkman (or whatever property you like) stocked at your local B&N instead of trying to figure out a hook for the character that'll sustain it until a movie franchise happens.
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby rchapoteau » Sep 14th, 2011 @ 6:28am

LiQuid wrote:I don't know how long you've been listening, but you can't really take most of what Higgins and Brock say in relation to these hot button topics at 100% face value. Half the time every time something like this comes up it's all they can do to stop themselves from going off on borderline tangents. It's pretty clear that they both just thought that his reaction was ridiculous, which it was, regardless of Morrison's intent with "GD"

I've been listening since Geekbox episode 1 and Comic Conspiray #1. I know they usually bury themselves by continuing to talk about a topic when they should just stop.

That being said I don't think this was the case. I was wondering a minute or 2 before Higgins said it, about their thoughts on what it would be if he actually did say God damn, and he gave it.

Personally I don't care one way or another. I say God damn all the time. If I got hit by what superman did I'd probably say a lot worse :-)
rchapoteau

Postby Roadie Brock » Sep 14th, 2011 @ 12:21pm

I believe in a higher power. Not a god or many gods. And I definitely don't believe or respect organized religions that try to change the world to their viewpoint, or loud mouthed crazy people who blow something way out of proportion before getting all the facts. Nuf' Said. :P
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby mcbrid55 » Sep 14th, 2011 @ 2:47pm

Loved the episode especially where they read my question!

Other than that
Not carrying a, i'm assuming, very popular writer during an important time in a reboot over a translation of a two letter acronym or grunt of a character is absolutely ridiculous. I manage a business and if I only carried what I liked or even agreed in practices I would be broke! You always have to focus on the crowd your aimed at and nothing else. Your customer base decides what you sell not you and anyone in business will tell you the same thing.

LiQuid wrote:Yeah seriously. I don't feel like sending in an E-mail, but my question for the Suicide Squad episode is:

Seriously, what the fuck is the Suicide Squad...?

I've heard Ryan Scott mention it a billion times on Geekbox and I tried Wiki searching it and haven't been able to get a simple answer.

I'm still kinda new to the comic scene but I did pick up suicide squad mainly because ryan keeps mentioning it on the geekbox. The comic features death row villans like harliquin (sp sorry) that are used by a group to go on suicide missions that most certainly will end in death. The first comic was awesome imo, kind of dark and violent but had really cool art.
Jack of all trades; Master of none
http://www.facebook.com/ryanmcb123
Hookah/Shisha Consultant
mcbrid55

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 14th, 2011 @ 4:08pm

So I just flipped through Hawk & Dove to see if Rob Liefeld decided to learn how to draw hands and feet better. Not so much. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Sep 14th, 2011 @ 4:33pm

jinpei05 wrote:So I just flipped through Hawk & Dove to see if Rob Liefeld decided to learn how to draw hands and feet better. Not so much. :lol:

Dude they are SO BAD! That's when you can actually see them. He still does that old Liefeldian trick where he goes out of his way to hide them behind whatever he can, even if it doesn't make anatomical sense.

I was reading a story on either Bleeding Cool or CBR last week where they showed new 52 books to brand new comic readers and the person they showed H&D to made a comment along the lines of "Are they all Asian or is that just how they're drawn?" and I laughed. Oh, Liefeld... :lol:
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 14th, 2011 @ 4:42pm

Honestly, I think he's gotten worse. I swear there's a woman on the first page whose face is assymetrical...
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Fade2Black » Sep 14th, 2011 @ 9:43pm

jinpei05 wrote:So I just flipped through Hawk & Dove to see if Rob Liefeld decided to learn how to draw hands and feet better. Not so much. :lol:

Your mention of "Rob Liefeld" and whether or not he's learned to draw reminds me of this old Levi's 501 jeans commercial. During the commercial, he fully admits to having no formal art training.

[youtube]LJhoa2SVGNA&rel=0&showinfo=0[/youtube]
Fade2Black

Postby bitblockader » Sep 15th, 2011 @ 12:02pm

"This guy's a....I'm going to go out on a limb and say... probably not a fan of all those foreigners coming into this country".

This is the best damn podcast on geekbox.net
bitblockader

Postby LiQuid » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 7:50pm

No podcast this week? :cry:
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 9:42pm

LiQuid wrote:No podcast this week? :cry:

Uploading now... :mrgreen:

Next week will be Tues night, too. I'm not even gonna try and stick to that Tues morning schedule anymore, because when I try, something always happens.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 9:49pm

LiQuid

Postby crimson8199 » Sep 24th, 2011 @ 10:16pm

Hey, I just got around to listening to episode 23. Loved it as per usual. Just wanted to comment regarding you guys thinking that religious people don't read comics. Not that I'm pumping my chest or anything but I'm catholic and love comics. I'm also a youth minister and this summer I held a comic book study to discuss all things comics. Anywho just wanted you to know that not all Christian people are insane and over react to simple two-letter words. But just to play devil's advocate, what kind of sound is "gd". I've never seen it in a comic before. Anyways love the cast and I'm loving the most of the new 52 so far. Really liked Swamp Thing, Green Lantern, Batgirl, Supergirl, Detective Comics, and Batman! It's almost a chore to keep up with them. Thanks for your addictive podcast you guys. I love hearing James Woods defending the Green Lantern movie. Also Ryan, haven't heard your opinion on the Fight for the Light DLC for DCUO?

God bless,
Ryan C.
crimson8199

Postby LiQuid » Sep 24th, 2011 @ 11:22pm

But just to play devil's advocate, what kind of sound is "gd"

It's guttural. What kind of sound is "Hh?" Morrison does all kinds of weird, unpronounceable onomatopoeia in his writing.
LiQuid

Postby Roadie Brock » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 2:13am

crimson8199 wrote:Anywho just wanted you to know that not all Christian people are insane and over react to simple two-letter words.

I know. It is just a shame we live in a world where those people get the media attention and I have personally dealt with Christian comic book readers like the North Carolina guy. Very frustrating.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Forum Statistics