Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 137

Postby Rydog » Sep 27th, 2011 @ 11:03pm

Ray Barnholt joins us in this week's episode to talk about Scroll, Scrolls, and The Elder Scrolls. And I'm still playing this Chrono Trigger game. And Dark Souls!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 137

Postby LiQuid » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 12:11am

I started playing Chrono Trigger DS after listening to last weeks episode. Almost done with it, kinda. Forgot how good the music in that game is. Still not Chrono Cross good, but SNES good for sure.
LiQuid

Postby PolyphonicBoy » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 12:15am

Ryan, why would you quit your job if you don't have another job to go to? :? Guess I should listen to the podcast to hear if you explain your decision!
PolyphonicBoy

Postby PolyphonicBoy » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 1:12am

Started to listen to the podcast. I recommend everyone read this article about Tim Langdell's Edge copyright nonsense... http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/16/tim-langdell-loses-in-future-edge-trial/#more-62378

It really is an amazing must read.
PolyphonicBoy

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 1:44am

Always love Ray's sultry voice on podcasts. His and Justin's interactions are as adorable as ever. And REM's breaking up saddens me. I'm glad they dissipated without bad blood but I was hoping that they would be one of those old bands I would finally see live when I grow up and enter my college years.

Adam Fitch, the shaggiest dog of them all.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby LiQuid » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 2:10am

Man I really, really, really, really, really want to play Chrono Cross again by my PS2 is a piece of shit and it's one of the only PSX games I can't get to work on my awesome ass PSP. :(
LiQuid

Postby IRL_Troll » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 2:44am

LiQuid wrote:Man I really, really, really, really, really want to play Chrono Cross again by my PS2 is a piece of shit and it's one of the only PSX games I can't get to work on my awesome ass PSP. :(

Then play it on the N64 like a real man
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby LiQuid » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 2:47am

What are you talking about, you crazy person.
LiQuid

Postby IRL_Troll » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 3:29am

Did I make that up? The internet as a whole seems to think so. I could've sworn it was on the N64 as well as PS.

Oh, and it's good to hear Jesus back on the show
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby IRL_Troll » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 3:42am

Though, listening to the show more: Justin, Jesus, neither of you are James Adomian. Stop the Huell Howser impersonations
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby Lombaszko » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 5:13am

Just bought the first issue of Scroll! $11.99 shipped doesn't seem too bad.
Lombaszko

Postby kenzo » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 5:18am

OMG - HUELL HOWSER IS AMAZING! There was an episode where he came to my hometown, and proceeded to flip his shit in our zoo that's the most ghetto, podunk zoo ever. Because there were three old ass seals (one of which has died since the episode was filmed) he loudly proclaimed "OH MY GOODNESS, THIS IS BETTER THAN SEAWORLD!" :lol:

Also, Chrono Cross is better than Chrono Trigger by leaps and bounds. It's absolutely baffling to me why anyone could possibly think Trigger is better. It's not just a matter of having better music. It's a much prettier game, the world has so much more character and feels much more original. The (main) characters are much more interesting and expressive. The story is :lol: -BONKERS, which I'll take any day over Trigger's cute but dumbness. And the battle system is much more interesting and engaging.
kenzo

Postby MrRed » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 9:16am

PolyphonicBoy wrote:Started to listen to the podcast. I recommend everyone read this article about Tim Langdell's Edge copyright nonsense... http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/16/tim-langdell-loses-in-future-edge-trial/#more-62378

It really is an amazing must read.

It's because of this guy that Mobigames had to remove their game Edge from the AppStore. Several times. He was basically going against everyone on the game industry that had had the misfortune to choose to use the word "Edge" to name something.

His downfall started when he went against EA for Mirror's Edge.
MrRed

Postby compellinggameplay » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 1:11pm

kenzo wrote:OMG - HUELL HOWSER IS AMAZING! There was an episode where he came to my hometown, and proceeded to flip his shit in our zoo that's the most ghetto, podunk zoo ever. Because there were three old ass seals (one of which has died since the episode was filmed) he loudly proclaimed "OH MY GOODNESS, THIS IS BETTER THAN SEAWORLD!" :lol:

Also, Chrono Cross is better than Chrono Trigger by leaps and bounds. It's absolutely baffling to me why anyone could possibly think Trigger is better. It's not just a matter of having better music. It's a much prettier game, the world has so much more character and feels much more original. The (main) characters are much more interesting and expressive. The story is :lol: -BONKERS, which I'll take any day over Trigger's cute but dumbness. And the battle system is much more interesting and engaging.

I'll have to try Chrono Cross again. I remember loving the soundtrack, but I didn't like the battle system or the endless number of possible characters. But then, I guess I prefer more linearity. Or if not linearity, than at least more of a limit to your potential companions (like Dragon Age).
compellinggameplay
Super Intern

Postby LiQuid » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 1:25pm

Battle system in Cross was sooo good. One of my favorite JRPG's ever. That game totally gets a bum rap from Chrono Trigger fanboys.
LiQuid

Postby Konanda » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 1:41pm

Ray calling the forums a film negative was funny.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 3:03pm

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:Always love Ray's sultry voice on podcasts. His and Justin's interactions are as adorable as ever. And REM's breaking up saddens me. I'm glad they dissipated without bad blood but I was hoping that they would be one of those old bands I would finally see live when I grow up and enter my college years.

Why? They haven't put out a studio album, much less a noteworthy studio album, in over seven years. Their best days were definitely behind them, and this just makes it official what everyone's who's been a fan has known for years.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 3:07pm

compellinggameplay wrote:I'll have to try Chrono Cross again. I remember loving the soundtrack, but I didn't like the battle system or the endless number of possible characters. But then, I guess I prefer more linearity. Or if not linearity, than at least more of a limit to your potential companions (like Dragon Age).
Like LiQuid said, Chrono Cross gets a bum rap from Chrono Trigger fans. If you look at Chrono Cross by itself as a game rather than heaping on the bullshit expectations that fans have for sequels, then it's amazing. If you're looking to play the exact same game with a number 2 attached to the end, then you're SOL.

Regarding the battle system, a lot of people hated it simply because it wasn't Chrono Trigger's. But subtract those expectations and it's probably one of the more engaging and interesting battle systems in the PSOne era. And as for its plethora of characters (I think there were like 52 total you could have?) you do realize that the vast majority of those are completely optional, right? I mean, you can play through the entire game without actually recruiting the female lead into your party. If you want a more tight, less meandering RPG experience, Chrono Cross can be that - just exercise some self-control over your OCD and don't go recruit the dumbass skeleton, or the little alien dude. I view those guys more as nifty easter eggs rather than diluting the narrative/experience.

Chrono Cross is an amazing game. It has issues (what game doesn't) but they're mostly technical ones that most games from that era had (choppy framerates at times, poor loading times) that can be somewhat mittigated playing the game on a PS2/PS3/PSP/emulator.

Konanda wrote:Ray calling the forums a film negative was funny.
WE LOVE YOU RAY-RAY!!!
Last edited by kenzo on Sep 28th, 2011 @ 4:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby IRL_Troll » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 3:43pm

I can't believe none of you are addressing Jesus appropriately
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby trippingmartian » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 9:13am

Ray stepped on all the humour and seemed like a bit of a hater throughout.
trippingmartian

Postby LiQuid » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 9:26am

trippingmartian wrote:Ray stepped on all the humour and seemed like a bit of a hater throughout.

Ray provided all the humor and seemed like a bit of a genius throughout.

What the fuck is up with all the flyby listeners that register just so they can come to the forum and shittalk a guest they don't like? We had to deal with this shit en masse when Patrick was around.
LiQuid

Postby Lovely » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 9:34am

Ray got on my nerves a bit in the begining of this podcast, but at the end I liked him. I especially like how Adam got all fanboyish with him randomly :lol: .

Anyways, that said, to be honest, I never really got that into Chrono Cross either. I mean, it was alright and all, but... Also, and this is just a personal thing, but I generally dislike mute main characters. Gets on my nerves. The only jrpg's with mutes that I liked/tolerated were the Suikoden games (1,2,5). Well, except for 4. where I eventually called the kid, "ANGRY GLARE" because that was his only facial expression.

As a side note, Suikoden 5 is the only game where I really LIKED the mute main. Mostly because that kid had a TON of body language and a good amount of dialog options. ...well, basically, I thought he was cute. *cough*

.....Also, I'm sorry I'm bringing up Suikoden again. It makes me seem one note, but it was relevant to the conversation :oops: !
----------------

Rose Spinoza http://twitter.com/#!/LVLYsan
Lovely

Postby kenzo » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 12:28pm

It might be one note Lovely, but it certainly is the best note.

Ray is the best, and I will not tolerate people shit talking him because they don't understand when he's joking.
kenzo

Postby bitblockader » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 2:07pm

That bit where they were talking like an Obvious Interviewer "is this how comic shops were always like?", I could have listened to that forever.
bitblockader

Postby ribkicker4 » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 2:21pm

I just want to add to the Ray Barnholt love. I LOVE YOU MAN.

Everyone else is pretty solid, too.

P.S. Ray. I miss that video game soundtrack podcast you did (I forget the name). Maybe someday you can do that again?
ribkicker4

Postby trippingmartian » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 2:53pm

I don't mean to hate on Ray, but the way he kept cutting off Adam was annoying. You have to just let Adam go off on his weird tangents. He's one of the funniest people on the podcast, both intentionally and otherwise. I understand Ray may have been sarcastic. I can't help that I didn't laugh once at anything he said.

As for Patrick, I can see why he got a lot of hate with his first appearance. Like Ray, he seemed to be totally aggro. Luckily he seemed to mellow out with subsequent appearances.
trippingmartian

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 2:55pm

Ray is right about this being the anti-forum. Everyone likes everything bad, hates everything good and they don't even like it when people post things. I'm pretty sure there are people here that don't want Ryan making a new thread for every episode of the podcast.

Also Ray was great, he needs to be on every episode
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 3:01pm

trippingmartian wrote:I don't mean to hate on Ray, but the way he kept cutting off Adam was annoying.
You clearly don't understand the obviously intentional meta-implications of him doing that. It's Ray's kind of thing to do what Adam does right back at him - and it's clearly for giggles, not to be a dickbag.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 5:43pm

Mr_eX wrote:Ray is right about this being the anti-forum. Everyone likes everything bad, hates everything good and they don't even like it when people post things. I'm pretty sure there are people here that don't want Ryan making a new thread for every episode of the podcast.

Also Ray was great, he needs to be on every episode

You are still going on about people pointing out that mrladiesman69 keeps making up redundant threads constantly because dude doesn't search?

It makes sense why Ryan makes a new thread for every episode as the content from episode to episode is quite different and possibly the guests.

Also bad and good is all subjective when it comes to entertainment, which is pretty much all that is really talked about on these forums, aside from a few of the topics in the Other Geekery board.

As for Ray being great, I endorse that statement.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby ribkicker4 » Sep 29th, 2011 @ 9:08pm

trippingmartian wrote:I don't mean to hate on Ray, but the way he kept cutting off Adam was annoying. You have to just let Adam go off on his weird tangents. He's one of the funniest people on the podcast, both intentionally and otherwise. I understand Ray may have been sarcastic. I can't help that I didn't laugh once at anything he said.

As for Patrick, I can see why he got a lot of hate with his first appearance. Like Ray, he seemed to be totally aggro. Luckily he seemed to mellow out with subsequent appearances.

Adam interrupts everyone all the time. I'm confused how you have never noticed that.

Kenzo puts it more eloquently.
ribkicker4

Next
Forum Statistics