Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 138

Postby Rydog » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 12:01am

We spend this week's episode babbling about camera controls and web browsers. This is what happens when there's no girls on the show.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 138

Postby Cris » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 12:09am

Chrome very innovative especially with security. I'm pretty sure they started sandboxing. I could be wrong.

The Macbook Air is amazing.
High resale value, 1440x900 13" screen (higher resolution than any other 13" screen other than the $2000 Sony Vaio Z), SSD is standard, by far the best trackpad, backlit keyboard, super thin and light

There actually is news on the new Star Trek movie. The news is they started making it :)
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-2-up ... adow-film/

I HAVE to play inverted for FPS or 3rd person shooter but I can deal with it in 3rd person non shooters. Final Fantasy 12 didn't have an option for inverted either >_<

I totally agree with Ryan with the final FF9 boss. It pretty much is a joke about JRPGs with my friends.
Last edited by Cris on Oct 5th, 2011 @ 3:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Cris

Postby kenzo » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 1:11am

"Windows vs Star Trek"? Why do I get the foreboding feeling that I won't enjoy that conversation? :lol:
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 3:29pm

IE is basically Chrome but with hardware acceleration and some other interesting optional features now just so you know Justin.

It also has 64-bit builds, where as Chrome only has recently just released a 64-bit build for Linux only.

Also fun trivia fact, one of my colleagues at school in the ECE (Electrical and Computer Engineering) department who graduated last year is the sister of Mike Shaver who is one of the founders of the Mozilla Organization and was VP Engineering and VP Technical Strategy until he left Mozilla just last month to go work at Facebook.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby LiQuid » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 4:43pm

Why I stopped using FireFox: I keep my browser open practically 24/7 with up to dozens of tabs open all at once. With FireFox after a couple hours of using it, it would be hogging so much of my system's resources that it would bog down my entire computer. I would try to restart it to clear it out of memory but the process would hang and the only way I could fully close it was to open up the task manager and manually end the process.

In Chrome every tab is it's own process and it has its own task manager so that if you have a crash or an issue with a specific tab (I get flash crashes occasionally cause my laptop is garbage), you can go into it and nuke that tab while keeping your session active.

Another thing I love in Chrome is tab pinning (so I have all my google apps like gmail, music and reader open in mini tabs at all times without taking up a bunch of other tab space. Chrome has a sleeker profile. There isn't as much screen real estate wasted at the top of the screen when the window is maximized.
LiQuid

Postby Konanda » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 6:08pm

Inverted Y-axis is always the way to go.
Konanda

Postby no51 » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 6:10pm

I find no reason to move away from Opera.
no51

Postby LiQuid » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 6:17pm

Konanda wrote:Inverted Y-axis is always the way to go.

Any axis inversion means that you're brain doesn't function properly and you're probably stupid because of your backwards brain.

Up is up. Down is down. Fucking get it right, retards.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 6:37pm

-I have beef with the "every other Star Trek film sucks" perspective. Star Trek V is underrated and overly criticized. In terms of tone and subject matter, it's probably the most faithful and honest Star Trek film to the Original Series. I don't understand how you can be a fan of Star Trek (especially TOS) and not like "The Final Frontier" for the same reasons. It's hilariously bad and cares more about being goofy than keeping its canon straight. And that's always been part of the TOS charm. "The Motion Picture" was also a pretty interesting and good film, if you watch the Director's Cut - that makes it an infinitely more watchable film. And while I think all the TNG movies sucked - that's only if you heap on unreasonable expectations that movies tend to have. If you view them instead as long-form, two-part episodes they're actually pretty good/interesting.

-I used to complain about controls not being inverted. Then I grew a pair and stopped being a baby.

-I don't know what Ryan Scott is talking about: the final boss in Chrono Trigger is totally cray-cray! It's easily better than every single FF boss ever. I found it pretty refreshing to have a final boss that's not being some retarded, narcissistic, psychopath with family-issues. You aren't fighting some kind of ultimate evil bent on destroying the world for no good reason. You're fighting a force of nature - a creature whose only transgression is that it's simply higher up on the food chain than you are. It's a total reversal of the stereotypical final boss, and Lavos tricking you by having the humanoid pod not actually being its core is another inversion of the expectations of the player that was brilliant at the time.

Also, I don't know what Ryan Scott is talking about: Chrono Trigger is pretty well known and revered in general by geekdom. It was Ico/SotC before there was an Ico/SotC. The Suikoden series - now that's an underrated, under-appreciated, under the radar JRPG franchise that doesn't get the love it deserves. ;)

-FF9's final boss is a microcosm that demonstrates how retarded that entire game was.

-I use Chrome for the same reasons LiQuid elaborates on. When it first came out, Chrome was awful. But it very quickly became much more stable and usable than other web browsers. It's also nice that when things like Flash break - that would normally crash the entirety of IE or Firefox, it doesn't force Chrome to lockup and quit, because that too is its own process.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 6:48pm

LiQuid wrote:Any axis inversion means that you're brain doesn't function properly and you're probably stupid because of your backwards brain.

Wrong, it's all about perspective. You aren't pressing "up," you're pressing "forward." Think of it like you're sitting in the middle of a balancing seesaw - if you lean "forward," your weight shifts forward, and your perspective shifts downward. If you lean backwards, your weight shifts backwards and your perspective shifts upwards. IMO, it's a much more natural way to control things - especially if you're looking from a first person perspective.

That said, the brain is an incredible and malleable thing. You can get used to inverted or visa versa pretty easily if you just give it a little effort. If you're willing to forego a potentially awesome gaming experience just because you're unwilling to make that simple adjustment, you're being a baby.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 7:07pm

Since kenzo is the reigning stupidest person on the forum, everything he just said further supports what I posted.
LiQuid

Postby DarthChris4 » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 7:15pm

Geek/Nerd band Ozma did their own version of Korobeiniki (Tetris Song)

http://youtu.be/eYvlGZlzkjk

I can only play inverted controls in flight games. Anything else is standard.
Last edited by DarthChris4 on Oct 5th, 2011 @ 8:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarthChris4

Postby kenzo » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 7:15pm

kenzo

Postby Konanda » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 7:27pm

Never buy used comics from Adam.

Also, Adam have you ever watched the CFL? I was just wondering with your interest in non-U.S. football rules. I've never been a fan of football but I've seen a Hamilton Tiger-Cats game with an ex of mine since she was into football. It was alright.

I had heard the rules are different from American rules but never really knew how (I should note my knowledge of football is pretty much, run the ball to the goaline/kick it between the posts) and when I asked her she said the main differences is 12 players instead of 11 one less down, the field is larger and the lines are different, there is less time to run a play after the whistle is blown and penalties for not doing so are more severe, some of the positions are different and some other smaller differences.
Konanda

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 11:46pm

Higgins, I'm glad that you finally brought up the Starfire hullabaloo so I can have an excuse to go Kenzo on you and explain why your opinions on these debacles are flawed.

First off, the problem is not that this version of Starfire is different than the one the little girl is used to. It's totally fine to have different interpretations of the same character, as fun versions of Batman like in the 60s show and Brave and the Bold can be just as enjoyable as serious versions like in TAS and the Nolan films. The problem lies with this version of Starfire being a negative and degrading depiction of the character. I know Starfire is regarded as a bombshell in the comics but there is a difference between a sexy character and a character that is designed to be nothing but titillation. Female characters can be really sexy looking as long as they are strong characters like Zatanna, Black Canary, and (when done right) Wonder Woman and Catwoman. Starfire used to be a strong character because, as a Tamaranean, she was highly emotional and thus valued her relationships and seeked love, which sometimes came physically. This new Starfire is not a strong character because she is designed just for fanservice. Her promiscuity is not due to her being highly empathetic and wanting to express love via sex but because she views sex as just "meaningless fun" and it doesn't matter who it's with. The amnesiac angle might have made this more acceptable if she interacted with characters who are more shocked at her out-of-character behavior but instead she's teamed up with Jason Todd and Roy Harper(already two unlikable characters, especially sad for Roy Harper since he's gone through his own derailment in Cry For Justice/Rise of Arsenal) who aside from Roy's initial confusion over Starfire's proposition for sex they act like a pair of frat boys bragging about how awesome it is that they get to tag team this Orange-Skinned Space Babe. It may get better for her further down the line but that's like saying Star Wars get's better after the prequels, it won't forgive the mess that the beginning was. It's not that this Starfire wasn't the little girl's Starfire but that this Starfire can't be a role model to her and is not a positive reflection of women in comic books. To further the Batman comparison it's like if you were to grow up watching Batman: TAS and you decided to start getting into comics via your favorite character, only to discover the creepy, arrogant, reckless asshole depicted in All-Star Batman & Robin.

As to comics mostly being for adults I agree on the statistic truth. However once again I think you are confusing the mere inclusion of graphic violence and sex with maturity. Compare comics to television. The majority of tv shows are for adults but that doesn't mean most of them have graphic violence and sex. Most of them are TV-PG or TV-14 because it's just not always necessary for every story to include graphic content to be mature and because there is also a viable "family demographic" for shows. Shows like Doctor Who and Star Trek can be enjoyed by adults and the entire family so that the kids can pass on the interest to their kids and shows like Game of Thrones and The Wire are also enjoyable but you certainly wouldn't watch that with the kids until they are old enough. I do enjoy mature stories in comics but I believe they shouldn't make up the majority so that the "family demographic" is still left open.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby uppi17 » Oct 6th, 2011 @ 12:43am

LiQuid wrote:
Konanda wrote:Inverted Y-axis is always the way to go.

Any axis inversion means that you're brain doesn't function properly and you're probably stupid because of your backwards brain.

I see it as when I move my head down I'm sort-of pushing it forwards if you were to look at it from above. Which is why I generally use inverted Y-axis. But obviously whatever you think is correct Liquid :)

The worst game for Y-axis controls I've played is Shadows of the Damned. During the normal sections I'd inverted the Y-axis and all was fine. However, during the horizontal shooter sections it kept the inverted option on so trying to fire in the bottom-right hand corner meant I needed the right joystick to be pointed diagonally up-right, so I had to keep changing it at the beginning and end of those levels.
uppi17

Postby harrisben » Oct 6th, 2011 @ 4:39am

I particularly enjoyed the addendum of this weeks show where Adam randomly started talking about AFL and then you all began pronouncing the names of Australian cities wrong.

I'm trying to understand the relationship Adam has with you guys because, with all due respect, he seems like the village idiot and you all do nothing to dissuade us of this by constantly mocking him. Don't take this as my support for him either, I'm just stating the facts.
harrisben

Postby LiQuid » Oct 6th, 2011 @ 5:27am

harrisben wrote:I'm trying to understand the relationship Adam has with you guys because, with all due respect, he seems like the village idiot and you all do nothing to dissuade us of this by constantly mocking him. Don't take this as my support for him either, I'm just stating the facts.

It's called joking around. If you had friends you'd be familiar with the concept.
LiQuid

Postby Willbo » Oct 6th, 2011 @ 11:21pm

Most of the footy teams are central around Melbourne because the sport was a Victorian only sport for quiet a while. I really love hearing about the podcast guys slowly getting exposed to sports from our side of the globe. Football was originally used as a way of keeping the cricket players fit in the off season. They are both played a lot around here and it still freaks me out to hear that other countries haven't even heard of the most popular sport in our country, small country though I guess. Might I add I was shattered that the pies lost nearly broke my damn bogan heart. Also the names for most of the teams come from suburbs but there is a lot of repetition because each team have teams playing in various leages so there are the AFL magpies and the VFL magpies etc. Also one last note it's pronounced G - long, so the letter "g" followed by long.

Great podcast guys you don't need no ladies.
Willbo

Postby ribkicker4 » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 12:04am

It's okay Ryan. I think SotC sucks too.
ribkicker4

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 7:45am

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:The problem lies with this version of Starfire being a negative and degrading depiction of the character.

Dude. She was always bordering on too sexy.

Her hook-ups with Nightwing are commonplace.

All the new book did was change her focus to Roy. Don't act like this is completely out of left field.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 4:01pm

Jinpei is absoutely right about Starfire. But I can understand where other people are coming from. For better or worse, this is what Starfire now is in a lot of people's minds:

ImageImage
kenzo

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 4:32pm

You mistook what I meant. I have no problem with her being sexy, it's why she's sexy that bothers me. It was okay that she was fanservicey in the past because she was still a hero and her frequent hook-ups with Dick was because she was in love with him. In Red Hood and the Outlaws her hooking with Roy is because she's bored and he's closest. This not only goes against her previous characterization but the very nature of her species, and if it's a change made by the reboot can you honestly say it's a positive one? Starfire was not a slut, she was more a "free love" type due to her emotional nature. Now without the very hat of her species to give reason for her fanservice she's just a slut. It's like how the Spiderman musical fucked up Spidey's origin by having Uncle Ben being killed by a random car instead of the guy Spidey let go. If you remove the element that was vital to the characterization, WHAT'S THE POINT?

But let's not pretend Starfire was the only problem with the book. Roy Harper was fucked up because he's a antihero still but they've retcon out his daughter's existence so she doesn't die and he doesn't go through all the stupidness of Rise of Arsenal, which is why he became an antihero in the first place! And Jason Todd should never be the starring character in anything.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby kenzo » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 4:45pm

Woah now, DudeL... I was following you until you called her a slut. When you start characterizing women that way - fictional or not - you basically their away your entire argument.
kenzo

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 4:55pm

kenzo wrote:Woah now, DudeL... I was following you until you called her a slut. When you start characterizing women that way - fictional or not - you basically their away your entire argument.

Don't try and spin my words to make me sound like a hypocrite. It's a negative portrayal of a female character that is negative because of her exploitative sexuality, slut is a word commonly used to describe such things.
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby kenzo » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 5:43pm

I'm not spinning your words. Slut is an insulting and demeaning epitaph, and has no place in a serious discussion of gender roles and sexuality.
kenzo

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 5:50pm

Now you're just frivolous. Don't be so Kenzo.
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby kenzo » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 6:08pm

DudeL - you should try joining the 21st Century. It's pretty great over here.
kenzo

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 7:19pm

kenzo wrote:DudeL - you should try joining the 21st Century. It's pretty great over here.

I like how you're accusing the guy who believes a character's portrayal is sexist of being insensitive.
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby LiQuid » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 7:22pm

kenzo wrote:Slut is an insulting and demeaning epitaph, and has no place in a serious discussion of gender roles and sexuality.

It sure as fuck does, as long as you're talking about sluts...

What the fuck is wrong with you lately, kenzo?
LiQuid

Next
Forum Statistics