Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 140

Postby Rydog » Oct 18th, 2011 @ 11:42pm

Karen Chu finally rejoins us for this week's episode, where we finally get around to talking about the Doctor Who season finale (among other things).
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 140

Postby LiQuid » Oct 18th, 2011 @ 11:46pm

Oh boy, Doctor Who! I honestly can't remember if I even watched it or not. Oh well, hope there's lots of spoilers.
LiQuid

Postby uppi17 » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 12:11am

Karen Who?
uppi17

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 12:32am

"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby LiQuid » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 12:33am

Yo dudes, I hate to burst your bubbles, but I'm 99.9% sure that Dark Souls 12-minute speed run video is only part 1 of multiple videos. I loaded it up in YouTube and it said #1 with other #x videos from the same guy in the related videos. Also I looked at the end of the video and the dude kills a couple gargoyles on a roof and then rings a bell, which Brad Shoemaker mentions he did in this week's Bombcast and apparently that's not that far into the game.

It's still sick how fast he's moving through the game, but I'm pretty sure it took him much longer than 12 minutes to get through the whole thing.
LiQuid

Postby Cris » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 12:52am

Thank you
Cris

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 1:47am

I love that Adam is self-aware in how much he rambles while still giving us an excellent ramble during the Doctor Who talk. Otta to silence a few of those "I think he has a problem" folks.

And just to clarify Adam the reason why the Cybermen conversion was different is because they were meant to be the classic Cybermen. The new series reintroduced the Cybermen by creating a different race originating from the parallel universe and we were meant to assume any modern appearance of Cybermen were the new ones. However Steven Moffat has stated that the Cybermen seen in this series were the Cybermen from the original run and thus their method of conversion is different. New Cybermen would cut you open and use just your brain while the classic Cybermen would encase your entire body in a suit.

Overall I enjoyed this series. I like how the bonds between family was a strong theme throughout the run.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 8:28am

LiQuid wrote:Yo dudes, I hate to burst your bubbles, but I'm 99.9% sure that Dark Souls 12-minute speed run video is only part 1 of multiple videos. I loaded it up in YouTube and it said #1 with other #x videos from the same guy in the related videos. Also I looked at the end of the video and the dude kills a couple gargoyles on a roof and then rings a bell, which Brad Shoemaker mentions he did in this week's Bombcast and apparently that's not that far into the game.

It's still sick how fast he's moving through the game, but I'm pretty sure it took him much longer than 12 minutes to get through the whole thing.

Yeah, it's a 90 minute speed run. I don't think we said it was 12?
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Konanda » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 6:41pm

This is probably a case of over-reacting on people watering down the meaning of some words, but I don't think the word industry is really appropriate for classifying the collective business of people talking and writing about videogames. I always found it strange and kind of presumptuous that people in that business refer to it as an industy. The actual activity involved in producing and selling videogames I can see as being classified as it's own industry but I find it to be a huge stretch to call people writing about games an industry.

Although, I'm sure kenzo will come in here and give a breakdown on the historical evolution of the word industry and say I'm just being silly and/or pretentious.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 6:56pm

Konanda wrote:This is probably a case of over-reacting on people watering down the meaning of some words, but I don't think the word industry is really appropriate for classifying the collective business of people talking and writing about videogames. I always found it strange and kind of presumptuous that people in that business refer to it as an industy. The actual activity involved in producing and selling videogames I can see as being classified as it's own industry but I find it to be a huge stretch to call people writing about games an industry.

Although, I'm sure kenzo will come in here and give a breakdown on the historical evolution of the word industry and say I'm just being silly and/or pretentious.

Slut.
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Bboy_Izilla » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 7:42pm

I can honestly say...after this previous weekend at a major fighting game tourney.

No one cares about Mortal Kombat.
Bboy_Izilla

Postby Konanda » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 7:54pm

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:Slut.

Old reference is old.
Konanda

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 8:18pm

Bboy_Izilla wrote:I can honestly say...after this previous weekend at a major fighting game tourney.

-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Konanda » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 9:11pm

Torchwood just has a sex agenda in general. Gay, bi, hetero, all that stuff.

Dorium is the blue fellow.
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 10:04pm

The Doctor's name has been revealed to companions in previous series of Doctor Who.

The 8th Doctor's companion as well along with the 5th/6th Doctor's companion had The Doctor's true name revealed to them and both found it very difficult to pronounce. The 10th Doctor also met an alien race that knew his true name. More recently though, River Song also confirmed she knows it towards the end of her life, when she was first introduced.

So on the one hand previous Doctor Who canon, shows that The Doctor revealing his true name to someone is not catastrophic and also it's alluded to that at least River Song will end up knowing The Doctor's name sometime in the Doctor's future.

The fall of the Eleventh is fairly heavy handed forshadowing of the end of this current regeneration of The Doctor and would probably be a nice way to wrap up his stay.

Also keep in mind that this does not necessarily mean they will reveal The Doctor's true name to the viewer.
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 10:10pm

The reason why it's supposedly special for this event is because at the time The Question is asked on the fields of Trenzalore at the fall of the Eleventh, no creature could speak falsely or fail to answer. Implying that The Doctor would have no choice but to truthfully reveal his name.

However, like I've stated earlier the assertion that The Doctor's true name is some great universe ending mystery is pretty much bullshit according to Doctor Who canon. But seeing as Doctor Who canon is as air-tight as a sieve, this probably doesn't mean much. Even more so when you consider the convienient The Doctor lies bit they've thrown in during the past couple seasons, which can make the story interesting. As well as being one of the laziest cop-outs for the writers to explain away parts of the canon involving something The Doctor said that doesn't fit into their new story.

Edit: Here is the scene that Adam is referring to about how River knows The Doctor's name when he first meets her. The particular moment is 1:24, later in the episode is where he confirms that what she told him is his name and he's perplexed at how she knew it. Thus forshadowing the whole crux of this season and what appears to be the next.

Last edited by Konanda on Oct 19th, 2011 @ 10:39pm, edited 2 times in total.
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 10:22pm

Konanda wrote:The fall of the Eleventh is fairly heavy handed forshadowing of the end of this current regeneration of The Doctor and would probably be a nice way to wrap up his stay.
I think this is why I didn't like this season as much as previous ones. It's so heavy handed in everything it does. This season of Doctor Who has taken foreshadowing to a new extreme. And the repetition of names ("The Girl Who Waited," "The Last Centurion," "The Question," The Madman With a Box," etc.) is almost nauseating at times.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 10:31pm

Holy shit are people starting to agree with what LiQuid has been saying all goddamned year?!

This season has been the worst since the show started in 2005.
LiQuid

Postby Konanda » Oct 19th, 2011 @ 10:33pm

kenzo wrote:
Konanda wrote:The fall of the Eleventh is fairly heavy handed forshadowing of the end of this current regeneration of The Doctor and would probably be a nice way to wrap up his stay.
I think this is why I didn't like this season as much as previous ones. It's so heavy handed in everything it does. This season of Doctor Who has taken foreshadowing to a new extreme. And the repetition of names ("The Girl Who Waited," "The Last Centurion," "The Question," The Madman With a Box," etc.) is almost nauseating at times.

Ya there wasn't much mystery to this season. I just find it annoying that they are constantly ignoring their canon to fit whatever story it is they want to tell this year. Like the whole being a fetus in a Tardis makes you part Timelord and revealing The Doctor's true name is apocalyptic being two recent events that cause errors in their canon. Although it's not entirely unexpected especially since there is no real official ruling on the canon at all, allowing the overall story to be as disjoint as they like.

Which is why it's kind of silly to speculate about Doctor Who in general since it doesn't really follow it's own logic or series of events.
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Oct 20th, 2011 @ 12:21am

The Christmas Special is going to be some kind of Doctor Who take on The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe set in a Blitzkreig'd England.
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Oct 20th, 2011 @ 12:30am

Konanda wrote:The Christmas Special is going to be some kind of Doctor Who take on The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe set in a Blitzkreig'd England.
I know the London Blitz was a huge, defining moment for that country... but it feels overused in this show.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Oct 20th, 2011 @ 2:28am

kenzo wrote:
Konanda wrote:The Christmas Special is going to be some kind of Doctor Who take on The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe set in a Blitzkreig'd England.
I know the London Blitz was a huge, defining moment for that country... but it feels overused in this show.

Uhh, the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was set during the London Blitz, soooo I think we should give them a pass on this one.
LiQuid

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Oct 20th, 2011 @ 3:36am

Higgin's dance moves.

-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby darfox8 » Oct 20th, 2011 @ 4:18am

Bboy_Izilla wrote:I can honestly say...after this previous weekend at a major fighting game tourney.

I care about it... you Bummer-face Mcgee.

Did Adam drop a Star Trek reference during the Prof. Layton talk. "There are four Lights"?

Neat episodes guy.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Oct 20th, 2011 @ 12:40pm

darfox8 wrote:Did Adam drop a Star Trek reference during the Prof. Layton talk. "There are four Lights"?
Yep. I lol'd, not when he said that, but when you could faintly hear Master Higgins chortle off-mic.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 20th, 2011 @ 12:46pm

I actually managed to solve that Professor Layton riddle about the streetlamps before the answer was given. When Higgins mentioned cheap, cop-out answers, I immediately stopped doing math and thought about the context of the problem. Like that whole where-do-you-bury-the-survivors-of-a-plane-crash riddle. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby manta173 » Oct 20th, 2011 @ 1:05pm

kenzo wrote:
darfox8 wrote:Did Adam drop a Star Trek reference during the Prof. Layton talk. "There are four Lights"?
Yep. I lol'd, not when he said that, but when you could faintly hear Master Higgins chortle off-mic.

Its gems like this that make the podcast great.
manta173

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 20th, 2011 @ 2:31pm

First 2 seasons of Torchwood are bad

Portal 2 is higher on gamerankings than Arkham City

When The Doctor first met River she commented on how young he was and I believe she said she had seen all of his regenerations.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Oct 20th, 2011 @ 2:49pm

Mr_eX wrote:First 2 seasons of Torchwood are bad
I'd say that only the first half of Torchwood season 1 was bad. The rest of it is about on par with the RTD Doctor Who stuff. It just isn't as whimsical and often rather dark.

Mr_eX wrote:Portal 2 is higher on gamerankings than Arkham City
But is it higher ranked in your heart?

[quote="Mr_eX']When The Doctor first met River she commented on how young he was and I believe she said she had seen all of his regenerations.[/quote]There's no reason to expect that The Doctor can't periodically drop in on her for the rest of his existence. In fact, I would assume that she shows up for at least one episode next season, just to say hi.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 20th, 2011 @ 3:06pm

If she knew all of them then The Doctor would have to really be dead wouldn't he?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Next
Forum Statistics