Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 29

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 25th, 2011 @ 6:34am

Hey guys, new episode is up! Enjoy!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 29

Postby LiQuid » Oct 25th, 2011 @ 11:01am

I like new episodes!
LiQuid

Postby uppi17 » Oct 25th, 2011 @ 2:07pm

Liquid, what do you suggest I do if I want to make this podcast longer than an hour? Is there a button on my mp3 player where I can go back and replay part of the podcast?

Ever in your debt,
Uppi17
uppi17

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 26th, 2011 @ 3:01pm

I don't know what the hell happened to Neal Adams, but it's a fucking travesty.

How do you go from this...

...to this???

jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Oct 26th, 2011 @ 3:12pm

2nd one's better. I would actually hang that on my wall.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 26th, 2011 @ 3:13pm

Of course you would.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Oct 26th, 2011 @ 4:02pm

Does Neal Adams do his own coloring? Because the actual line-art on the 2nd image isn't any worse than the first - it's just colored like the side of a shitty van.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Oct 26th, 2011 @ 4:36pm

kenzo wrote:it's just colored like the side of a shitty van.

You know, now that you say that, I think that might have played a subconscious role in its appealing to me.
LiQuid

Postby RandomReality » Oct 27th, 2011 @ 9:21pm

Hey there, short time listener, first time poster... I thought about sending this to the email box, but I figured some opinions from the forums couldn't hurt.
From what you guys are saying in the podcast, my comic reading past/story is pretty common… I read/collected mostly superhero books from about 1984 to 1997 or so. I read mainly Marvel (you name it, and I most likely read it at one time or another, but the X-men and Spiderman were pretty consistent over that time), but some DC (mostly Batman and Justice League), and some of the early Vertigo and Image titles. I was probably reading about 25 books a month, overall. The bottom line is that I became finally and completely burned out (thank the influx of X-books/Image/crossovers/etc.) and stopped reading/collecting cold turkey.
Over the years my friends who are still into comic books would send me the occasional graphic novel/trade that they thought was good, but I never got the bug to go back to monthly subscription reading again. So, recently, because of the graphic novels/tpb collections that are available now, I am back to reading comics after being gone a long time.
I have recently been enjoying trades such as Locke and Key, Scalped, The Unwritten, Chew, The Walking Dead (actually, these were all digital from your site… my first and only digital purchases… I have issues with Comixology), and a few of the collected Batman storylines (Hush, Long Halloween, Dark Victory). I have the first few DMZ, 100 Bullets, and Y: The Last Man lined up for some vacation reading next week. Most all of these were recommendations and I have really enjoyed them. Oh, and Daytripper was fantastic. Loved it.
I have also read a few superhero trades, but I haven't found any that I liked from the books recommended to me so far (outside of the Batman listed above). I was a huge X-men fan before, and read Whedon's Astonishing X-men because a friend said it was amazing. I don't agree, and thought it was only ok (they weren't the X-men I remember, and some of the differences grated on me… and yes, I know I missed a lot of events that changed things, but I haven't really liked the changes). I also had someone recommend the Power Girl Vol 1 and 2 (New Beginning, and the next), and I was bored silly… they felt like books I'd read 100 times before. As you can see, other than Batman, I haven't been impressed with any superhero books that have been recommended to me, and superhero was 90% of what I collected back in the day.
With that in mind, do any of you have recommendations for other superhero trades that I have missed that I shouldn't have missed? I am gun-shy of Green Lantern because of the scope and volume of books (I am warily eyeing Brock's list). I'm open to just about anything though.
Thanks,
Random
RandomReality

Postby LiQuid » Oct 27th, 2011 @ 9:53pm

Man, take the plunge on Green Lantern. I'm only 2 years into where Johns took over and it's pretty much the best thing I've ever read in comics.
LiQuid

Forum Statistics