Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 31

Postby Master Higgins » Nov 8th, 2011 @ 7:17am

New episode is up! Go have a listen, and discuss.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 31

Postby DerBonk » Nov 8th, 2011 @ 11:01am

Not living in the US, the whole trade paperback discussion was kind of frightening. For the most part, US issues are hard to come by, while trades are easily available at LCS and Amazon. There are some specialty stores for US comics (I only know of a single actual specialty store that also does mail-order and another online shop that allow subscriptions, I bet there are more, but I haven't come across them), but the issues are expensive and if you don't live in a big city with such a store the monthly shipping costs add up on top of that. So, basically everything I read is in trades and if they would give way to digital comics, that'd be terrible. Print-to-order wouldn't solve the problem either as I'd have to import those and couldn't get them on Amazon as easily.

On the other hand I totally agree with Ryan. Most titles simply don't have to be collected. Most of the stuff I read is Vertigo and Image, the two exceptions you mentioned, and I feel like their trades are definitely worth it. But even stuff like Demon Knights, I just can't see too many people who don't already have the issues being interested.

One of the trade paperback problems I have run into is the scheduling though. I would love to read The Unwritten in issues for example, but I stumbled upon it too late and now I would have to buy so many issues to get current from the last trade, that I just can't get myself to commit that much money. It'd be great if at some point (once a new trade comes out, or every other trade) was a good "jumping off" point, so you only had to buy a handful of issues to get current. I guess that could potentially weaken issue sales on the flip side though, with people "waiting for the trade."

In any case, just be glad the situation is better with the US market than the German market (at least when it comes to super hero comics).
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby LiQuid » Nov 8th, 2011 @ 1:28pm

Haven't listen to the episode yet, but have DC and/or Marvel ever tried moving to a direct distribution system? It seems really silly to pay Diamond such a gigantic cut when they can just basically copy their distribution model and probably pass savings on to the shop as well as cut their own costs. Also with a direct distribution model, they could do something like a mail order service directly to customers who didn't live near a LCS, so like a mail order customer could have a pull directly with the comic company and for a fee they would get bundled and shipped stacks of single issues every Wednesday, or maybe the week after to further incentivise going to your LCS to get them if you have one.

I'm really just kind of clueless about comic distro in general, but I hear a LOT of comic fans and comic store workers bitching about Diamond and it doesn't sound like they do anything to help the publisher either.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 8th, 2011 @ 1:46pm

Diamond's pretty much a monopoly, but thanks to a few legal loopholes, they've avoided litigation over it.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Nov 8th, 2011 @ 1:56pm

LiQuid wrote:Haven't listen to the episode yet, but have DC and/or Marvel ever tried moving to a direct distribution system? It seems really silly to pay Diamond such a gigantic cut when they can just basically copy their distribution model and probably pass savings on to the shop as well as cut their own costs. Also with a direct distribution model, they could do something like a mail order service directly to customers who didn't live near a LCS, so like a mail order customer could have a pull directly with the comic company and for a fee they would get bundled and shipped stacks of single issues every Wednesday, or maybe the week after to further incentivise going to your LCS to get them if you have one.

I'm really just kind of clueless about comic distro in general, but I hear a LOT of comic fans and comic store workers bitching about Diamond and it doesn't sound like they do anything to help the publisher either.

Marvel tried, and it almost destroyed the comic book industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_World_Distribution

Diamond doesn't take a big cut from Marvel, DC, etc, because they're just a middle-man. They get the bigger cuts from the small press and toys, since they're actually buying them from the publishers. Diamond is actually perfectly fine, in most regards. People just like to bitch. There's issues, don't get me wrong, but they're no worse than any other distributor out there for any other product.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Cris » Nov 8th, 2011 @ 5:06pm

Just watched my first episode of CC (the Thor one) and loved it. Do I ask questions here or is there an email?
Cris

Postby kenzo » Nov 8th, 2011 @ 5:21pm

Cris wrote:Just watched my first episode of CC (the Thor one) and loved it. Do I ask questions here or is there an email?
Hehehe.

You can axe questions here - both the podcasters are pretty engaging when it comes to the specific episode-posts. But if you want your crap read on the podcast, you'll probably have write into the show using the same system for writing into the Geekbox.
kenzo

Postby SerpentineZERO » Nov 8th, 2011 @ 6:25pm

Man, i was so disappointed when i noticed the Suicide Squad Vol. 2 trade was cancelled. It just quietly faded away, too, with no word on the cancellation.
SerpentineZERO

Postby Roadie Brock » Nov 8th, 2011 @ 9:44pm

SerpentineZERO wrote:Man, i was so disappointed when i noticed the Suicide Squad Vol. 2 trade was cancelled. It just quietly faded away, too, with no word on the cancellation.

I was pissed. Then Ryan told me that the last R.E.B.E.L.S. trade was canceled too. I almost lost it. I now have a little hate aimed at DC.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Nov 9th, 2011 @ 10:08am

I still believe that we'll eventually go trade-only or OGN-only however you want to refer to them, and that digital will help this, because we get the singles on our digital devices and we get the more easily carried and less attractive to theft TPB later. My reasoning for this however is that this is how the modern novel came to be; Huckleberry Finn and Heart of Darkness were actually both released periodically and then collected into what we have now. But comics are a different beast, who knows?

Hey, since there's always like four minutes of mumbling and UM, UM, (Higgins going "No it's not Regenesis, let me look...oh yes it is.") when you guys realize you're not ready for Pick of the Week, why not pick a favorite book from last week's releases? If you include that week's trades you get a wide selection.
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby hey look » Nov 9th, 2011 @ 3:23pm

As far as characters I wish were in the New 52, with the increased focus on horror & magic, I would love to see Dr. Fate and Blue Devil, and neither tied to JSA or anything like that.
hey look

Postby LiQuid » Nov 9th, 2011 @ 3:28pm

Klarion would have made a good fit in Demon Knights IMO. I love DC's sorcerors.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 10th, 2011 @ 8:43am

ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:I still believe that we'll eventually go trade-only or OGN-only however you want to refer to them, and that digital will help this, because we get the singles on our digital devices and we get the more easily carried and less attractive to theft TPB later. My reasoning for this however is that this is how the modern novel came to be; Huckleberry Finn and Heart of Darkness were actually both released periodically and then collected into what we have now. But comics are a different beast, who knows?

If the industry goes trade-only, that's going to kill local comic book stores. Big book stores and online retailers are already cornering that market. The only advantage LCS have is monthly books.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Nov 10th, 2011 @ 9:44am

jinpei05 wrote:
ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:I still believe that we'll eventually go trade-only or OGN-only however you want to refer to them, and that digital will help this, because we get the singles on our digital devices and we get the more easily carried and less attractive to theft TPB later. My reasoning for this however is that this is how the modern novel came to be; Huckleberry Finn and Heart of Darkness were actually both released periodically and then collected into what we have now. But comics are a different beast, who knows?

If the industry goes trade-only, that's going to kill local comic book stores. Big book stores and online retailers are already cornering that market. The only advantage LCS have is monthly books.

Stores will have to diversify to survive. It's kind of silly that I go to my LCS to buy Green Lantern, then I go to the mall to get a GL t-shirt and then Best Buy for the Blu-Ray. My store already does Heroclix nights every Friday to bring new kids in; they even had X-Men Arcade set up for a while.
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 10th, 2011 @ 9:53am

ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:

Stores will have to diversify to survive. It's kind of silly that I go to my LCS to buy Green Lantern, then I go to the mall to get a GL t-shirt and then Best Buy for the Blu-Ray. My store already does Heroclix nights every Friday to bring new kids in; they even had X-Men Arcade set up for a while.

I don't know what your local store is like, but mine has monthly books and t-shirts. If there's something I want really bad, I'll flip through Previews and have it special ordered. Sure, it costs more, but supporting local business is more important than saving five bucks on a DVD.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Nov 10th, 2011 @ 2:05pm

I know it would probably kill comic shops, but I wonder why DC or Marvel haven't done the Japanese-model of weekly "Jump" magazines that have all their comics in it. I'd be much more willing to buy comics if I could get the entire week's comics for like, $10-15 in a thick book, and you could distribute that very easily to stores across the nation and have a home-subscription service too.

I know a barrier for that would be the fact that American comics like to be in color, but I still think it could work.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Nov 10th, 2011 @ 6:37pm

Anthologies don't sell in the US.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Nov 10th, 2011 @ 6:49pm

Anthologies here are done super dumb. Like that recent My Greatest Adventure mini DC put out. It's the same size as a regular ass comic and it's 3 separate stories over 6 issues, so by the end of it, you're only getting what amounts to 2 issues of each story. (Going off my experience of subscribing to the first year of the American Shonen Jump) Japanese Jump style anthologies are much thicker, contain many more stories and are ongoing. The format has merit it just hasn't been tried here.
LiQuid

Postby SerpentineZERO » Nov 10th, 2011 @ 7:39pm

I checked Diamond's list of recent cancellations, and it turns out a Teen Titans by Geoff Johns omnibus was cancelled, which sucks because i just found out about this even existing a few days ago. At least the run is still in print, though.
SerpentineZERO

Postby LiQuid » Nov 10th, 2011 @ 10:54pm

Master Higgins wrote:Anthologies don't sell in the US.

How many copies of Point One did you sell this week?
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Nov 11th, 2011 @ 11:36am

LiQuid wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:Anthologies don't sell in the US.

How many copies of Point One did you sell this week?

Not very many!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Nov 11th, 2011 @ 11:39am

Haha, that's too bad. I heard it sucks. Hope you don't get stuck with too many.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 11th, 2011 @ 12:33pm

A Marvel book that sucks? What are the chances?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Cris » Nov 11th, 2011 @ 1:38pm

Cris

Forum Statistics