Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 144

Postby Rydog » Nov 16th, 2011 @ 12:59am

On this week's episode, we talk about The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and can't resist going all Beavis & Butt-head over the title's dirty implications.

Subscribe on iTunes!
Subscribe on Zune Marketplace!
Follow me on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
Send us some email!
Throw us free money if you're so inclined!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 144

Postby LiQuid » Nov 16th, 2011 @ 1:13am

Haven't even listened to the Skyrim Bombcast yet. So much Skyrim talk!

Intro edit: :lol: Best intro in Geekbox history. When Karen found out it was recording the "Oh, no...." she let out was so perfect.
LiQuid

Postby manta173 » Nov 16th, 2011 @ 8:24am

I don't see why Karen called Skyrim boring... she said its a whole lot of nothing then described how she couldn't get to her goal because there was so much to do she keeps getting distracted.

I can understand that the little side quests here and there are not always exciting, but calling it boring when you aren't even working on the main part of the game (killing things) is a little harsh.

Also, I would never do my twin... two guys is just not my thing.
manta173

Postby kenzo » Nov 16th, 2011 @ 1:49pm

manta173 wrote:I don't see why Karen called Skyrim boring... she said its a whole lot of nothing then described how she couldn't get to her goal because there was so much to do she keeps getting distracted.

I can understand that the little side quests here and there are not always exciting, but calling it boring when you aren't even working on the main part of the game (killing things) is a little harsh.
Is it harsh, or is it just a perspective? Some people see an open world like Skyrim and are like "OMG LET'S GO EXPLORING!" and never get bored of the endless but mundane quests. But if you want a narrative or a strong story, TES games in general are boring and there's not a lot to do in that respect.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Nov 16th, 2011 @ 1:51pm

According to Karen all these cheesing of my skills in Skyrim is cheating. I wonder how long it would take to max out all your skills in Skyrim legit without any grinding or rubber banding the controller down... Really long is my guess.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Nov 16th, 2011 @ 4:03pm

LiQuid wrote:According to Karen all these cheesing of my skills in Skyrim is cheating. I wonder how long it would take to max out all your skills in Skyrim legit without any grinding or rubber banding the controller down... Really long is my guess.
It's not really cheating, and it's kind of dumb to use that term. Cheating is breaking the rules, and that's not what this is. But it's totally gaming the system and exploiting the hell out of a bug/oversight. It does defeat the purpose of the leveling system, but that's also why I find per-use leveling systems for core stats to be dumb and broken to begin with (Final Fantasy II says hello).
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Nov 16th, 2011 @ 4:50pm

Karen, the texture issue is a bug that has to do with installing the game on 360. Bethesda Softworks is working on a big patch for all systems (PC, 360, PS3) and hopefully it'll be one of the bugs that are fixed.

It actually looks much better than Oblivion does. See this example.

Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Nov 16th, 2011 @ 5:23pm

Adam Fitch wrote:I don't play Korean games I don't play White games... I'm not a weeabo.

Especially after talking about that anime girl Gradius clone a few episodes back for like 10 minutes.
Konanda

Postby Natto » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 1:31am

How can a game that has this be boring?
I like to draw stuff.
Natto

Postby LiQuid » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 4:28am

I'm pretty sure women are just hard wired to different tasks in games like this. There was a thread on gamefaqs from a guy who couldn't handle watching his wife play cause her roaming and picking flowers or whatever was boring. I thought it was pretty funny and it sounded like a lot of what Karen was up to.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 6:24am

LiQuid wrote:I'm pretty sure women are just hard wired to different tasks in games like this. There was a thread on gamefaqs from a guy who couldn't handle watching his wife play cause her roaming and picking flowers or whatever was boring. I thought it was pretty funny and it sounded like a lot of what Karen was up to.
^Very true. It's a biological imperative. The more fit Cavewomen that survived prehistory and passed their genes on did so because they played videogames differently than Cavemen. It's science.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 10:54am

With all the talk of not knowing where to go it sounds like Karen and Higgins don't know that you can select a quest, which then puts a marker on the map and then you can either fast travel to the nearest discovered area or hire a carriage to take you to the town closest to it and on top of that there's a spell that shows you which way you're suppose to be going at any given time.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Konanda » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 11:14am

kenzo wrote:
manta173 wrote:I don't see why Karen called Skyrim boring... she said its a whole lot of nothing then described how she couldn't get to her goal because there was so much to do she keeps getting distracted.

Is it harsh, or is it just a perspective? Some people see an open world like Skyrim and are like "OMG LET'S GO EXPLORING!" and never get bored of the endless but mundane quests. But if you want a narrative or a strong story, TES games in general are boring and there's not a lot to do in that respect.

If you dig into the lore in TES games than the story can be kind of interesting. I think this TES in particular actually is doing some much more interesting things than previous ones with the setting/lore.

Basically it's 200 years since the end events of TES IV: Oblivion and the Imperial Empire is a former shadow of itself that is now dealing with a strong Bosmer (Wood Elves) and Altmer (High Elves, although if you read even one of a series of books about a High Elf that fled his homeland you learn their land was hostilely and shadowly taken over by the Thalmor) bid for power that is being driven by the Thalmor a kind of government based in the land of the Bosmer. They also engaged in a great war with the Empire, which resulted in a treaty where the Empire seceded some land in southern Hammerfell and banned the worship of Talos, who is a great legendary man who established the Third Empire as Tiber Septim and was a Nord from the old homeland of man (except Redguard) in Atmora. (continent north of Tamriel)

On top of that Morrowind, one of the few lands still part of the Empire has been decimated by a volcanic erruption. Skyrim is pissed off about the religious oppression caused by the Empire's treaty with civil war brewing. Hammerfell has left the Empire due to the inhabitants, Redguards land being taken as part of the treaty, which they retook. Moreover, 200 years prior the land the Argonian (lizard people) inhabit have left the Empire (and even tried to invade Morrowind after the erruption) as did the land inhabited by Khajiit. (cat people) Who also have developed some friendly relations with the Aldmeri Dominion (the lands the Thalmor control) To add even more complication the Empire hasn't had a good Emporer for many years.

It makes for a neat setting in Skyrim with the Nords on the brink of civil war and also has me excited for what the next in the series might head to. It would be really cool if they jumped it ahead just a bit into some kind of all out war between the different lands of Tamriel or something like that because that's where it appears to be headed.

I haven't done too many quests so I can speak to them too much but the ones I have done have been fairly interesting with multiple ways to finish them.
Konanda

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 11:49am

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/j-pop-talk-show/1362560

Every time Adam says something Japanese it reminds me of this.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 1:01pm

Konanda wrote:If you dig into the lore in TES games than the story can be kind of interesting.

No, it really can't. I'm a huge fan of the games but have no care about most of the lore. I don't remember who said it but on this weeks Gamers with Jobs podcast while totally singing the praises of the game someone said something along the lines of "Skyrim, god bless it but it's fantasy 101. It's like a magazine George RR Martin would read on the toilet." It's true.

I do however very much appreciate how the lore is integrated into the game via the use of books and character interaction with NPC's as opposed to just sitting and sifting through a codex like a Bioware game (GWJ also brought this up) but don't fool yourself into thinking this series' lore is more special than the effort it takes to write so much schlock.
LiQuid

Postby totoro » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 1:06pm

Mr_eX wrote:http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/j-pop-talk-show/1362560

Every time Adam says something Japanese it reminds me of this.

I was thinking about posting the same thing when I heard the term "weeaboo" uttered. That's sketch was so funny.

The whole Frank Miller spouting off on the political stuff reminds me of the fact that I really don't want to know much more about someone if I admire their work for fear that they'll be some sort of major douchebag or support some cause that I don't agree with like it appears (at least for some) that Frank Miller has done here. I don't know how other people feel about that, but it's stuff like this that would make me hesitant about approaching someone in public or attempting to communicate with them in regards to Random Situation X. I didn't stop Justin Haywald at PAX Prime for this exact reason. </joke>
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro

Postby manta173 » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 3:07pm

Honestly I really hate hearing celebrities polictical opinions... or the gamer/ nerd people I follow on twitter... I don't follow Wil Wheaton because I think he has good ideas with polictics.
manta173

Postby compellinggameplay » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 5:09pm

I'm sad that we didn't start recording when we explained what a "devil's three-way" meant to Karen.
compellinggameplay
Super Intern

Postby Karen » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 5:17pm

compellinggameplay wrote:I'm sad that we didn't start recording when we explained what a "devil's three-way" meant to Karen.

It's in there, dude. :oops:

(that's what she said)
THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI

http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
White Dudes Only

Postby Konanda » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 6:07pm

LiQuid wrote:
Konanda wrote:If you dig into the lore in TES games than the story can be kind of interesting.

No, it really can't. I'm a huge fan of the games but have no care about most of the lore. I don't remember who said it but on this weeks Gamers with Jobs podcast while totally singing the praises of the game someone said something along the lines of "Skyrim, god bless it but it's fantasy 101. It's like a magazine George RR Martin would read on the toilet." It's true.

I do however very much appreciate how the lore is integrated into the game via the use of books and character interaction with NPC's as opposed to just sitting and sifting through a codex like a Bioware game (GWJ also brought this up) but don't fool yourself into thinking this series' lore is more special than the effort it takes to write so much schlock.

I said kind of interesting, not it's amazing or anything. Anyway different strokes for different folks. I also don't think any game is really that special narrative wise because there are so many books with better stories out there than any game.
Konanda

Postby Coctopus » Nov 18th, 2011 @ 4:33pm

Well, I guess we all know Karen's grooming habits now, you know, in the naughty bits area, from her innuendo in the beginning.

Also, it's pretty clear that everyone has not watched Encino Man enough when they didn't get Ryan's pull about Estonia. Samwise and Biodome say that George of the Jungle is from Estonia when they introduce him to people.
Coctopus

Postby kenzo » Nov 18th, 2011 @ 5:55pm

Encino Man is probably the greatest film of the early 90s.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Nov 18th, 2011 @ 6:55pm

kenzo wrote:Encino Man is probably the greatest film of the early 90s.

This is laughably untrue (the winner of that competition is indisputably Demolition Man). It is, however the most tolerable Pauly Shore movie, having just marathoned all of them within the last 6 months.
LiQuid

Postby SerpentineZERO » Nov 18th, 2011 @ 7:47pm

Of course, Higgins only likes SNL from the 70s and 80s.
SerpentineZERO

Postby kenzo » Nov 18th, 2011 @ 10:03pm

SerpentineZERO wrote:Of course, Higgins only likes SNL from the 70s and 80s.
You could justifiably make the argument that the early 80s SNL was its peak.

LiQuid wrote:
kenzo wrote:Encino Man is probably the greatest film of the early 90s.
This is laughably untrue (the winner of that competition is indisputably Demolition Man). It is, however the most tolerable Pauly Shore movie, having just marathoned all of them within the last 6 months.
Demoman needed more sexy.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Nov 18th, 2011 @ 10:44pm

What are you talking about, Sly and Sandra Bullock hardcore fuck in Demolition Man...
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Nov 19th, 2011 @ 12:06am

THAT'S SO HAWT
kenzo

Postby Coctopus » Nov 19th, 2011 @ 12:28am

The three shells continue to mystify me....
Coctopus

Postby LiQuid » Nov 19th, 2011 @ 1:47am

Coctopus wrote:The three shells continue to mystify me....

So does kenzo.
LiQuid

Postby lineman60 » Nov 19th, 2011 @ 10:50am

Guy', I am still listing to the the podcast but laughed at the twin's discussion.
You might want to interview these gals (its' gotta be weird, novelty screw?)

http://www.celebritydarling.com/conjoined-twin-engaged/
lineman60

Next
Forum Statistics