Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 146

Postby kenzo » Dec 1st, 2011 @ 2:20pm

Begaria wrote:On the discussion of the Zelda timeline:

I also look at *most* of the Zelda series as a "this legend is being retold from different perspectives". However, there are a lot of direct references in some of the games that does suggest their is a timeline. I'm not going to go full in to that, but as a quick example: Majora's Mask is obviously a sequel to Ocarina of Time from young Link while Wind Waker seems to be a sequel to Ocarina of Time from the time where Adult Link was sent back. Phantom Hourglass is clearly what happens after the events in Wind Waker since it uses the same characters and picks up almost right after Wind Waker. Regardless, the other Zelda games are a bit more ambiguous of whether they fall into a "timeline" or a "retelling". I know Nintendo has straight up said that there *is* a timeline and that Skyward Sword is the "earliest point" in the Zelda timeline. I haven't finished the game yet, but I have seen some people who have finished the game say that the ending does suggest that there IS a timeline.
Zelda's mythology isn't so expansive and complicated that it necessitates a timeline. All that's important is that there's a sense here that history continually repeats itself.

Nintendo may have somewhere an idea of which games proceed each other in a fictional chronological order, but the notion that there's an actual "timeline" is bullshit. For starters, timelines require time - you know, dates or a rough idea of how much time has passed between events. And there's nothing to suggest there's anything remotely close to that's happening. These games could take place a few generations after each other, or thousands of years, or even tens of thousands of years (hell, in Wind Waker, they imply that some of these species of people evolved from older ones, which would take forever). Modern Zelda games purposefully drop hints and connections, not to imply that there's any real meaningful connection between games, but to be like, "hey, remember Ocarina of Time? That game was great, right?" The purposefully vague connections are not meant to be meaningful, but to obfuscate and tantalize gamers without having to provide anything of substance. Arguing about a Zelda timeline is probably the least productive thing you could possibly ever do.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Dec 1st, 2011 @ 8:05pm

I LOVE San Luis Obispo. It's like Monterey, but less foggy, more shit to do, things are more affordable, and there's a lot more younger people walking around (what with it being a big university-town with Cal Poly). It's a great place to visit for a weekend. And north of the city there's Morro Bay and Cambria that are both very picturesque little towns with amazing beaches, good restaurants, and the surrounding hills/forests are great for fishing or camping or hiking. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, Adam.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Dec 1st, 2011 @ 8:11pm

kenzo wrote:Coke Zero isn't horrible. It's better than getting fat(ter). Then and again, I'm not really a fan of dark colas either, but I'll drink almost any diet soda.

Up until late 2008 the European version of Coke Zero was artifically sweetned with a carcinogen.

I also don't trust artifical sweetners and avoid them. I remember 3 years ago I was in a diner with my dad and while waiting for our food I decided to see what was in all the artifical sugar packets they had at the table. Ended up seeing that the two main ingredients in Sweet'n Low are that same carcinogen (Sodium Cyclamate) and good old sand. (Silicon Dioxide) Which to be fair there is small amounts of silicon dioxide in the plants we eat and small amounts of silicon are normal and good for your health and growth/development, but salts that are known to cause cancer aren't.

Also Sucralose, which is a sweetner found to be very safe in consumtion has me disagree with the use of it due to the very way it works. Namely that your body doesn't actually consume it, so it just goes straight into wastewater treatment, and an increasing number of studies are finding that it is just re-entering into drinking water as is. Which any build up of artificially produced compounds in the natural environment has me uneasy. The increasing number of kids (particularly girls) younger than 10 having precocious puberty and the increasing number of studies linking it to phytoestrogens in the drinking water from all manner of products (makeup, contraceptives, plastics, etc.) is quite disturbing as it is already.

Like any living organism a human is just a collection of chemical compounds that undergo processes that allow what we call life to go and is thus subject to the compounds they ingest for better or worse.

That said I don't drink that much pop anyway, although I'll get down on some Cranberry Canada Dry. It's kind of my festive winter beverage, much like Karen and Master Higgins' adoration for eggnog but quite likely to a lesser extent.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Dec 1st, 2011 @ 9:32pm

Your opinion on sodas are null and void, because you call them "pop". Cranberry Ginger Ale is pretty tasty though, but then and again, Ginger Ale is the greatest beverage ever crafted by man.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Dec 1st, 2011 @ 9:42pm

kenzo wrote:Your opinion on sodas are null and void, because you call them "pop". Cranberry Ginger Ale is pretty tasty though, but then and again, Ginger Ale is the greatest beverage ever crafted by man.

Would you prefer cabonated, flavoured, sugar water? I sometimes also refer to them as soft drinks but mostly pop like everyone else.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Dec 1st, 2011 @ 10:39pm

I would prefer you call them "soda" like a normal human being.
kenzo

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Dec 1st, 2011 @ 10:56pm

Adam's at his best this episode.

Also sadness for Gamepro.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby kenzo » Dec 1st, 2011 @ 10:59pm

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:Adam's at his best this episode.
IT'S UNCANNY
kenzo

Postby compellinggameplay » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 12:04am

totoro wrote:
kenzo wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:
Coctopus wrote:Uh-oh, looks like Karen lost her job. Poopies to that, but hopefully she'll land on her feet quickly.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/gamepro-is-dead/

Oh yeah, and also Justin, but who cares about him? He doesn't even have boobs.

Oooooooh shit.

Hope everyone gets something new relatively quickly. From the way they both talked about it on the podcast, it really sounded like the whole staff busted their collective asses to get the first quarterly edition out and now this. It definitely sucks that this happened at all, but during this time of year when there are so many other financial demands on the average household, that makes it even worse. I really hope they land on their feet soon.

My friends and family are each getting a can of pop for Xmas this year.

The really good ones will get a six-pack.
compellinggameplay
Super Intern

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 1:51am

Can't believe Adam mentioned Bill Brasky. I just saw that for the first time getting out my girlfriend's Best of Will Ferrell DVD. That is an OLDIE.

Also Karen needs to shut the fuck up and let Adam talk for God's sake.
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby jinpei05 » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 8:58am

kenzo wrote:I would prefer you call them "soda" like a normal human being.

That's some great tolerance for cultural differences you got there. Also, can't believe the whole soda/pop/cola debate has been brought up yet again.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby oof46 » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 12:13pm

R.I.P Gamepro. I was always an EGM kid growing up, but its really sad to see these staples of my childhood going belly up. I'm old enough to remember reading the first issues of both magazines...yeah, I'm old. Hope Karen and Justin find employment soon!

Oh, and on a side note, they forgot to mention Ramen noodles as poor food. When money was tight that's all we would eat. Most times we would just smash the noodles in the bag, pour in the sauce, shake and eat.
Last edited by oof46 on Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 12:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
oof46

Postby oof46 » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 12:15pm

ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:Can't believe Adam mentioned Bill Brasky. I just saw that for the first time getting out my girlfriend's Best of Will Ferrell DVD. That is an OLDIE.

Also Karen needs to shut the fuck up and let Adam talk for God's sake.

True, but he does tend to ramble. For example, it takes me about 15 minutes to commute to work. In that time span, he did NOT get to the point of his story.
oof46

Postby manta173 » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 1:43pm

jinpei05 wrote:

That's some great tolerance for cultural differences you got there. Also, can't believe the whole soda/pop/cola debate has been brought up yet again.

You forgot "Coke" meaning any non-alcoholic carbonated bevereage... instead of Coca-Cola ...gotta love the south.
manta173

Postby kenzo » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 1:49pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Shut the fuck up Jinpei.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 1:50pm

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:
Shut the fuck up Jinpei.

That's some great tolerance of other people's intolerance of your cultural intolerance you got there.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 5:22pm

LiQuid wrote:
kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:
Shut the fuck up Jinpei.

That's some great tolerance of other people's intolerance of your cultural intolerance you got there.

Oh look, it's kenzo who can't detect sarcasm or good-natured ribbing and LiQuid who can't come up with an original or funny response.

*SIGH* I love it here... :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 6:06pm

I can detect sarcasm and good-natured ribbing - which is why I first gave Konanda a good natured ribbing, then gave you a good-natured ribbing. Maybe I should have appended everything with lil rolly eyes so people know that I'm just joking.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 6:07pm

Right, because "shut the fuck up" just drips with sarcasm and good natured ribbing...

(FYI, that was sarcastic.)
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 6:26pm

jinpei05 wrote:Right, because "shut the fuck up" just drips with sarcasm and good natured ribbing...
You always claim that's what your venom actually is, so Imma just start playing by your rules and maybe we'll both be on the same page and get along better. :roll: :lol: 8-) :ugeek: :mrgreen: :| :arrow: :idea:
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 6:28pm

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Right, because "shut the fuck up" just drips with sarcasm and good natured ribbing...
You always claim that's what your venom actually is, so Imma just start playing by your rules and maybe we'll both be on the same page and get along better. :roll: :lol: 8-) :ugeek: :mrgreen: :| :arrow: :idea:

Yeah, that's not what I'm about at all, but nice work at being a hypersensitive baby yet again.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 6:31pm

That's rich, Jinpei. Remember that time a few days ago where you were crying about LiQuid being insensitive towards your feelings? You're so full of shit! ROFLCOPTER ;) ;) :roll: ;)
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 6:36pm

kenzo wrote:That's rich, Jinpei. Remember that time a few days ago where you were crying about LiQuid being insensitive towards your feelings? You're so full of shit! ROFLCOPTER ;) ;) :roll: ;)

Cool story, bro.

Hey, remember that time you told me you didn't give two shits about my mom being dead? That was so playful and good-natured.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 7:00pm

Uh, Jinpei I was kind of establishing "cool story bro" as my thing here. Can you not use it too please?
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 7:01pm

Sorry, LiQuid, I think the internet beat you to that a few years back.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 7:02pm

I understand that, but I was specifically employing it as a counter-trolling measure against you as a direct reference to Ryan Scott messaging it back to gamer kiddies that talk shit to him via private messages.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 7:04pm

What's the matter, can't come up with anything original on your own? Give it some thought, I'm sure you'll come up with something good.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 7:09pm

Awesome posts everyone.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby jinpei05 » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 7:09pm

Thanks, Guillermo.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Dec 2nd, 2011 @ 7:16pm

DudeL - why are you so racist???
kenzo

PreviousNext