Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 42

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 23rd, 2012 @ 10:21pm

It's new episode time! Hooray!

That is all.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 42

Postby LiQuid » Jan 23rd, 2012 @ 10:31pm

Really looking forward to seeing Comic Book Men. I'm surprise Kevin Smith hasn't used his ever-diminishing clout to push some fanboy agenda sooner. Hope it stays away from negative tropes though.
LiQuid

Postby Roadie Brock » Jan 23rd, 2012 @ 11:45pm

LiQuid wrote:Really looking forward to seeing Comic Book Men. I'm surprise Kevin Smith hasn't used his ever-diminishing clout to push some fanboy agenda sooner. Hope it stays away from negative tropes though.

Because a show with positive tropes will get good ratings and stay on the air, right?
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby LiQuid » Jan 23rd, 2012 @ 11:55pm

Since it's Kevin Smith, who has been vocal about his love of comic books all his life, I imagine he would try and shed some positive light on fandom. Not that I don't think there will be a fair amount of negative stereotypes (in the trailer one of the guys, while holding the first appearance of Wonder Woman makes a comment about a comic collector "holding a woman"), but the blame on that needs to be pointed directly at comic book fan just for being gigantic fucking nerds in general. I imagine there are times in Higgins' shop where just turning on a camera and pointing it at people would provide for some entertaining television, but would it always paint you guys in a positive light?
LiQuid

Postby Roadie Brock » Jan 24th, 2012 @ 12:29am

LiQuid wrote:Since it's Kevin Smith, who has been vocal about his love of comic books all his life, I imagine he would try and shed some positive light on fandom. Not that I don't think there will be a fair amount of negative stereotypes (in the trailer one of the guys, while holding the first appearance of Wonder Woman makes a comment about a comic collector "holding a woman"), but the blame on that needs to be pointed directly at comic book fan just for being gigantic fucking nerds in general. I imagine there are times in Higgins' shop where just turning on a camera and pointing it at people would provide for some entertaining television, but would it always paint you guys in a positive light?

Who would watch that shit? You need some "Nerd Rage" to get the people going!

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby LiQuid » Jan 24th, 2012 @ 1:15am

I sent in a question about recap pages while I was downloading this episode, wherein you guys talk pretty extensively about recap pages. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby Roadie Brock » Jan 24th, 2012 @ 3:40am

LiQuid wrote:I sent in a question about recap pages while I was downloading this episode, wherein you guys talk pretty extensively about recap pages. :lol:

Recap pages are a helpful thing when it comes to getting a feel for what you read a month+ before. They just can't be to boring or static.

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Jan 24th, 2012 @ 4:11am

Haha Higgins and Brock are White and don't get references to A Tribe Called Quest.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 24th, 2012 @ 7:26am

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:Haha Higgins and Brock are White and don't get references to A Tribe Called Quest.

Of course we don't.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 24th, 2012 @ 2:11pm

No mention of Batman #5? For shame.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby bitblockader » Jan 24th, 2012 @ 3:55pm

Great show guys. The biz talk was good - sobering for anyone considering opening of shop, even under the best of circumstances.

As for Kevin "Jean Skorts" Smith - I wonder when this goodwill free ride off of his earliest films will wear off. I guess even directors can enjoy genre life support in perpetuity.
bitblockader

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 24th, 2012 @ 4:00pm

bitblockader wrote:Great show guys. The biz talk was good - sobering for anyone considering opening of shop, even under the best of circumstances.

The industry really needs another 1000 shops in the US alone, so I'd love to see people open up shops, but they need to know what they're getting into. We don't need more poorly run shops that close after 12 months.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Roadie Brock » Jan 24th, 2012 @ 11:32pm

Master Higgins wrote:
bitblockader wrote:Great show guys. The biz talk was good - sobering for anyone considering opening of shop, even under the best of circumstances.

The industry really needs another 1000 shops in the US alone, so I'd love to see people open up shops, but they need to know what they're getting into. We don't need more poorly run shops that close after 12 months.

Thanks bitblockader, and I can only wish one day that I will be one of those people. :P

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Jan 25th, 2012 @ 3:40am

Master Higgins wrote:
Guillermo_DudeL wrote:Haha Higgins and Brock are White and don't get references to A Tribe Called Quest.

Of course we don't.

How is your third chair guy cooler than both of you?
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 25th, 2012 @ 7:10am

ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Of course we don't.

Easy. He's part AZN.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 25th, 2012 @ 9:54am

jinpei05 wrote:
ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Of course we don't.

Easy. He's part AZN.

Jinpei's got yellow fever.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 25th, 2012 @ 9:55am

Master Higgins wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:
ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Of course we don't.

Easy. He's part AZN.

Jinpei's got yellow fever.

Nah, I'm just a carrier.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jan 25th, 2012 @ 5:49pm

I've seen Asian people with yellow fever. Yellow fever does not discriminate.

That said, I'd sooner attribute Toby's coolness to having much more broad life experiences and perspectives, but yeah - let's just reduce everything to simple matters of race. =P
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 26th, 2012 @ 8:27am

kenzo wrote:I've seen Asian people with yellow fever. Yellow fever does not discriminate.

Yeah, they're called carriers. Kind of hard for an person of a particular ethnicity or culture to have their own ethnic fever when they may simply prefer to date within their own race or culture. Would you say black people who only date black people have jungle fever?
kenzo wrote:That said, I'd sooner attribute Toby's coolness to having much more broad life experiences and perspectives, but yeah - let's just reduce everything to simple matters of race. =P

Why not? It's worked so well so far. /sarcasm

(Also, ITT: kenzo cannot detect my sarcastic joking in my previous posts, hence the addition of the /sarcasm above.)

So, Higgins, is owning your own business where you get to nerd the fuck out as awesome as it sounds?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jan 26th, 2012 @ 1:55pm

jinpei05 wrote:
kenzo wrote:I've seen Asian people with yellow fever. Yellow fever does not discriminate.
Yeah, they're called carriers. Kind of hard for an person of a particular ethnicity or culture to have their own ethnic fever when they may simply prefer to date within their own race or culture. Would you say black people who only date black people have jungle fever?
Not to sound condemning or overly-critical, but Asians who "simply prefer to date within their own race or culture" are fetishing "their own race and culture". Maybe not to the degree that some sick white people do when they're looking for demure, submissive, exotic, and dutiful partners, but it's still there. Valuing your own culture heritage is great; wanting to pass on your cultural heritage is great too. You can still do that while married to someone from a different cultural background. Conscientiously choosing someone within your race over someone who isn't is putting a premium on the superficial, genetic components of a culture/ethnicity over the more meaningful aspects (the actual cultural values, traditions, knowledge of history and language, etc). Are you more likely to share perspectives and cultural values if you opt to date within your 'race'? Probably. But are you also automatically disqualifying a lot of perfectly awesome and open minded people from other backgrounds simply based on some superficial matters? Absolutely - especially in this day and age where newer generations are much more open minded, curious, and accepting of different cultures.

So in short, yeah - Asians who only date Asians have yellow fever. Black people who only date black people have jungle fever. Labeling something with a "fever" implies an irrational attraction and preference for one 'race' over all the others, it doesn't necessarily say anything about who has the fever or their reasons for feeling the way they do. Lemmie ask you this, if you're interested in a hot white chick, and she dismissively turns you down by honestly but respectfully telling you, "sorry, I only like to date white guys," what do you think of her? Is that alright? Maybe she simply prefers to date within her own race and culture. It is alright for her to wish to promote and preserve her own cultural legacy?
kenzo

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Jan 26th, 2012 @ 2:25pm

Asian-on-Asian fighting must end.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 26th, 2012 @ 2:37pm

kenzo wrote:Not to sound condemning or overly-critical, but Asians who "simply prefer to date within their own race or culture" are fetishing "their own race and culture". Maybe not to the degree that some sick white people do when they're looking for demure, submissive, exotic, and dutiful partners, but it's still there. Valuing your own culture heritage is great; wanting to pass on your cultural heritage is great too. You can still do that while married to someone from a different cultural background. Conscientiously choosing someone within your race over someone who isn't is putting a premium on the superficial, genetic components of a culture/ethnicity over the more meaningful aspects (the actual cultural values, traditions, knowledge of history and language, etc). Are you more likely to share perspectives and cultural values if you opt to date within your 'race'? Probably. But are you also automatically disqualifying a lot of perfectly awesome and open minded people from other backgrounds simply based on some superficial matters? Absolutely - especially in this day and age where newer generations are much more open minded, curious, and accepting of different cultures.

So in short, yeah - Asians who only date Asians have yellow fever. Black people who only date black people have jungle fever. Labeling something with a "fever" implies an irrational attraction and preference for one 'race' over all the others, it doesn't necessarily say anything about who has the fever or their reasons for feeling the way they do. Lemmie ask you this, if you're interested in a hot white chick, and she dismissively turns you down by honestly but respectfully telling you, "sorry, I only like to date white guys," what do you think of her? Is that alright? Maybe she simply prefers to date within her own race and culture. It is alright for her to wish to promote and preserve her own cultural legacy?

Guess we can diagose the majority of the population of Korea with yellow fever, along with the majority of the population in Ghana with jungle fever.

And I don't think anythying of a hot white chick who turns me down, it's her loss. Yeah, it is alright for her to wish to promote and preserve her own cultural legacy if that's what she wants. I don't judge.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Roadie Brock » Jan 26th, 2012 @ 2:53pm

Can't we all just be happy our dicks get used at all by someone else?

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 26th, 2012 @ 3:04pm

Roadie Brock wrote:Can't we all just be happy our dicks get used at all by someone else?

That's what I'm about. kenzo just wanted to get retardedly academic and derail this thread.

So getting back on track, is Justice League Generation Lost out in softcover yet? I was thinking of checking that out.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jan 26th, 2012 @ 3:13pm

jinpei05 wrote:Guess we can diagose the majority of the population of Korea with yellow fever, along with the majority of the population in Ghana with jungle fever.
Can we? You clearly weren't paying much attention to what I was writing.
kenzo wrote:Conscientiously choosing someone within your race over someone who isn't is putting a premium on the superficial, genetic components of a culture/ethnicity over the more meaningful aspects (the actual cultural values, traditions, knowledge of history and language, etc).
When random African guy in random rural Ghana-village hits it with another black African woman, I doubt he's thinking "must preserve cultural heritage!" He's surrounded and inundated with his culture. He hits it with random African lady because he doesn't have a lot of other options. Homogenized Korea is a completely different scenario from epic melting pot USA. Asians in this country, no matter how cloistered they may or may not attempt to be, are still inundated and constantly exposed to different cultures with plenty of opportunities to date outside their ethnic group. Koreans living in Korea or Ghanans living in Ghana don't have the same societal pressures, or worry in the same ways about their culture being diluted or forgotten that ethnic minorities in the USA do. Someone who dates only Koreans in Korea probably doesn't do so conscientiously. A Korean guy in America who only dates other Koreans however, is passing up the vast majority of the eligible bachelorettes/manorettes available. Korean guy in America puts an increased emphasis and fetishises 'his own people' - Korean guy in Korea probably just working the spread. Comparing the two situations is completely different.

jinpei05 wrote:And I don't think anythying of a hot white chick who turns me down, it's her loss. Yeah, it is alright for her to wish to promote and preserve her own cultural legacy if that's what she wants. I don't judge.
By saying that, you've already judged on some level. So you might as well go all out and judge her judgments for what they are - close minded and kinda racist.

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:Asian-on-Asian fighting must end.
DudeL-on-minorities fighting must end. Just say no to bigotry and discrimination, DudeL.

Roadie Brock wrote:Can't we all just be happy our dicks get used at all by someone else?
That's all I advocate.

jinpei05 wrote:kenzo just wanted to get retardedly academic and derail this thread.
I wasn't the one insisting on a distinction between "carriers". :lol:
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 26th, 2012 @ 3:20pm

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Guess we can diagose the majority of the population of Korea with yellow fever, along with the majority of the population in Ghana with jungle fever.
Can we? You clearly weren't paying much attention to what I was writing.
kenzo wrote:Conscientiously choosing someone within your race over someone who isn't is putting a premium on the superficial, genetic components of a culture/ethnicity over the more meaningful aspects (the actual cultural values, traditions, knowledge of history and language, etc).
When random African guy in random rural Ghana-village hits it with another black African woman, I doubt he's thinking "must preserve cultural heritage!" He's surrounded and inundated with his culture. He hits it with random African lady because he doesn't have a lot of other options. Homogenized Korea is a completely different scenario from epic melting pot USA. Asians in this country, no matter how cloistered they may or may not attempt to be, are still inundated and constantly exposed to different cultures with plenty of opportunities to date outside their ethnic group. Koreans living in Korea or Ghanans living in Ghana don't have the same societal pressures, or worry in the same ways about their culture being diluted or forgotten that ethnic minorities in the USA do. Someone who dates only Koreans in Korea probably doesn't do so conscientiously. A Korean guy in America who only dates other Koreans however, is passing up the vast majority of the eligible bachelorettes/manorettes available. Korean guy in America puts an increased emphasis and fetishises 'his own people' - Korean guy in Korea probably just working the spread. Comparing the two situations is completely different.

You clearly made no mention of context of countries before.

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:And I don't think anythying of a hot white chick who turns me down, it's her loss. Yeah, it is alright for her to wish to promote and preserve her own cultural legacy if that's what she wants. I don't judge.
By saying that, you've already judged on some level. So you might as well go all out and judge her judgments for what they are - close minded and kinda racist.

No, I really haven't. I really don't give a shit. But hey, you obviously know more about me and my values than I do.

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:kenzo just wanted to get retardedly academic and derail this thread.
I wasn't the one insisting on a distinction between "carriers". :lol:

No. You're the one who made a completely unrelated diatribe over an innocuous joke that wasn't meant to be taken seriously AT ALL, in addition to once again derailing this thead. Way to go, Pointdexter.

So, again, is Justice League Generation Lost in softcover?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Jan 26th, 2012 @ 3:23pm

The Geekbox Forums.
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Roadie Brock » Jan 26th, 2012 @ 3:29pm

jinpei05 wrote:

That's what I'm about. kenzo just wanted to get retardedly academic and derail this thread.

So getting back on track, is Justice League Generation Lost out in softcover yet? I was thinking of checking that out.

Don't know. Was cancelled but then I saw that DC had a listing up on the browse books section, but now it is no longer there. So...might have to get the hardcovers, read single issue or download them digitally.

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 26th, 2012 @ 3:30pm

Thanks, Brock.

Additionally, I just read you latest blog post and I agree completely with you.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Roadie Brock » Jan 26th, 2012 @ 3:31pm

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:The Geekbox Forums.

...are a great place

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Next
Forum Statistics