Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Rydog » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 12:50am

Ray Barnholt and Brock Sager join us once again on this week's episode, to rile Higgins up by talking about how much the Simpsons suck and how much Super Bowl advertisements rule.

Subscribe on iTunes!
Subscribe on Stitcher! (Make sure to use the promo code "GEEKBOX")
Subscribe on Zune Marketplace!
Follow me on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
Send us some email!
Throw us free money if you're so inclined!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 2:36am

Rydog wrote:Ray Barnholt

:D
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 2:41am

Each time Ray Barnholt speaks it is like the warm embrace of a father returning from a long journey.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby kenzo » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 3:16am

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:
Rydog wrote:Ray Barnholt

:D
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 9:38am

I don't think Ray likes me very much.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby LiQuid » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 10:15am

Holy shit, Ray knew about VacMan! I had one of these as a kid and ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE SHIT OUT OF IT!!!



So tempted to track on down now just for shits and gigs.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 10:29am

Master Higgins wrote:I don't think Ray likes me very much.

Now I love Ray even more.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 10:32am

Also Higgins the company is called Weyland-Yutani, as recognized from the big WY logo. Prometheus is apperantly going to be more about what's the deal with the Space Jockeys.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby jesseewiak » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 11:33am

Despite the fact he wants to be Geoff John's boyfriend, I have to back up Higgins on Simpsons. Is it as good as it was at it's peak? Of course not, but it's still the best animated show on a major network. Family Guy and King of the Hill took the crown each for a couple of seasons but they digressed quickly.

On the other hand, not watching a show like Justified or Sons of Anarchy just shows you're stuck in a little nerd box where you don't want to watch good things, you just want to watch nerdy things. I mean, let's be honest here. The Big Bang Theory is basically a nerd minstrel show. Also, pretty much every show that has any laughter in the background has it sweetened by the network. You're not getting a raw feed of the audience. But, as showed by his later statements, Higgin's palate is that of a 10-year-old when it comes to entertainment.

As was pointed out in the show, the whole point of the X-Men : First Class is about what Xavier & Magneto was doing before Beast, Jean Grey, and all the rest. Cyclops wouldn't be born until like 1975 according to the movie continuity.

Actually, Taken 2 won't be that awesome. Right now, the current script floating around is that both Liam Neeson & old Jean Grey get kidnapped and their kid has to save them. The Grey is actually a good movie, but it's a different movie than the trailers show. In other words, it's too introspective and 'deep' for Higgins.
jesseewiak
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Jan 13th, 2012 @ 2:07pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 11:37am

And in one post, you've backhanded Higgins no less than three times. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby jesseewiak » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 11:45am

jinpei05 wrote:And in one post, you've backhanded Higgins no less than three times. :lol:


I'd make fun of Ryan for wanting Cyclops and Jean Grey in the next X-Men movie, but I've actually heard other people complaining about it. But, basically, everybody I know who likes nerdy shows also likes shows such as Justified or at least can acknowledge they're good shows because they're actually into good things, not just geeky things.
jesseewiak
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Jan 13th, 2012 @ 2:07pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby LiQuid » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 12:22pm

Higgins is very puerile in his tastes, but you can't really fault a guy for not wanting to watch something that is thematically outside his tastes. That said, his reason for dismissing Justified is RE-TARD-ED. The theme song, which is a weird mix of bluegrass and hip hop doesn't really represent the flavor of the show at all. There is no hip hop or hip hop influence in the show in even the slightest bit. I think that theme song was picked just to illustrated the modernization of the western lawman genre.

Sons of Anarchy is highly overrated and a huge disappointment, but Justified is one of the most entertaining shows I watch. I think if anybody generally likes well written characters and tough dudes (and sometimes chicks) kicking ass and taking no shit, there's really nothing to dislike in Justified.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby IRL_Troll » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 12:41pm

Jesus sounded upset the whole show, and I can understand why. You guys were saying very silly things
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll
User avatar
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Dec 3rd, 2009 @ 11:55am
Location: Southwest MO

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby kenzo » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 12:50pm

jesseewiak wrote:Despite the fact he wants to be Geoff John's boyfriend, I have to back up Higgins on Simpsons. Is it as good as it was at it's peak? Of course not, but it's still the best animated show on a major network. Family Guy and King of the Hill took the crown each for a couple of seasons but they digressed quickly.
That's not saying much. :lol:

Sons of Anarchy is a fucking terrible show. Having no interest in it doesn't make you a 10 year old, it makes you a normal human being that doesn't want to waste their time with shitty, aimless soap operas.

I've never seen Justified, but I have no interest in it. The show does nothing to grab me into its viewership - and that's an onus of the show's, not mine. And given that my free time is already taxed by the billion shows I already watch, on top of playing a billion different games I play, the sports I watch, trying to exercise on a regular basis, and my attempts to have a social life, I don't really feel bad for missing out on just one show you think is the tits. Does that make me 10 as well? I guess so. :roll:

IRL_Troll wrote:Jesus sounded upset the whole show, and I can understand why. You guys were saying very silly things
To be fair, I think he sounds upset in most podcasts he's on - even the ones where he's literally recording by himself.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby rdb » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 1:39pm

Master Higgins wrote:I don't think Ray likes me very much.

now that's just not true.
rdb
Full Hipster
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 28th, 2010 @ 11:40am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby jesseewiak » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 1:58pm

kenzo wrote:That's not saying much. :lol:


That may be true, but it's still not crap like Barnholdt and Brock were saying. It's still an average to above average show most weeks.

Sons of Anarchy is a fucking terrible show. Having no interest in it doesn't make you a 10 year old, it makes you a normal human being that doesn't want to waste their time with shitty, aimless soap operas.


There's a difference between just dismissing a show based on it's premise like Higgins did than not liking it for a variety of reasons.

I've never seen Justified, but I have no interest in it. The show does nothing to grab me into its viewership - and that's an onus of the show's, not mine. And given that my free time is already taxed by the billion shows I already watch, on top of playing a billion different games I play, the sports I watch, trying to exercise on a regular basis, and my attempts to have a social life, I don't really feel bad for missing out on just one show you think is the tits. Does that make me 10 as well? I guess so. :roll:


Not being interested in watching the show is fine. I'd say give it a shot or stop watching a worse show than Justified, than whatever. But, assuming it's crap because it involves hillbillies and has a silly theme is when you become a ten year old.
jesseewiak
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Jan 13th, 2012 @ 2:07pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby flufflogic » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 2:24pm

kenzo wrote:
jesseewiak wrote:Despite the fact he wants to be Geoff John's boyfriend, I have to back up Higgins on Simpsons. Is it as good as it was at it's peak? Of course not, but it's still the best animated show on a major network. Family Guy and King of the Hill took the crown each for a couple of seasons but they digressed quickly.
That's not saying much. :lol:


I would argue that South Park is still just as good, if not better, than those first seasons.
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby kenzo » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 3:10pm

jesseewiak wrote:
kenzo wrote:That's not saying much. :lol:
That may be true, but it's still not crap like Barnholdt and Brock were saying. It's still an average to above average show most weeks.
You might feel that way, but other people have different standards of what's entertaining or 'average'.

flufflogic wrote:I would argue that South Park is still just as good, if not better, than those first seasons.
I assumed by "major network" he meant broadcast TV, but if smaller cable networks count, then we can start adding all kinds of shows that are better like Futurama, or Young Justice, or Venture Brothers, or Avatar, etc.

jesseewiak wrote:There's a difference between just dismissing a show based on it's premise like Higgins did than not liking it for a variety of reasons.
Dismissing a show based on its premise isn't a crime. You probably dismiss shows based on premise all the time and just don't realize it. Unless you're gonna tell me you give every show on every channel a shot like Days of our Lives, or Pregnant in Heels, or The X Factor, or Kim's Fairytale Wedding: A Kardashian Event, then you're just as guilty as he is. The difference is, you're just pissy that he hates your favorite shows. And instead of formulating a well-reasoned explanation as to why he should give your shows a shot, you're shooting insults across the internet at people you don't know. And all that probably ends up doing is reinforces his beliefs. If I were Higgins, my response would be, "Look at the kinds of mouth-breathers that enjoy this show, why would I want anything to do with that again?"
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby jesseewiak » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 3:31pm

Dismissing a show based on its premise isn't a crime. You probably dismiss shows based on premise all the time and just don't realize it. Unless you're gonna tell me you give every show on every channel a shot like Days of our Lives, or Pregnant in Heels, or The X Factor, or Kim's Fairytale Wedding: A Kardashian Event, then you're just as guilty as he is. The difference is, you're just pissy that he hates your favorite shows. And instead of formulating a well-reasoned explanation as to why he should give your shows a shot, you're shooting insults across the internet at people you don't know. And all that probably ends up doing is reinforces his beliefs. If I were Higgins, my response would be, "Look at the kinds of mouth-breathers that enjoy this show, why would I want anything to do with that again?"


When those shows win Emmy's and our given wide acclaim by critics all over, then yeah, I'd give them a chance. Your argument that you don't have enough time is fine. I think you should give it a shot, but OK. Higgin's argument boils down to, "the theme sucks and I don't like cowboys. So, obviously it's no good." That's childish.
jesseewiak
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Jan 13th, 2012 @ 2:07pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 3:38pm

jesseewiak wrote:
Dismissing a show based on its premise isn't a crime. You probably dismiss shows based on premise all the time and just don't realize it. Unless you're gonna tell me you give every show on every channel a shot like Days of our Lives, or Pregnant in Heels, or The X Factor, or Kim's Fairytale Wedding: A Kardashian Event, then you're just as guilty as he is. The difference is, you're just pissy that he hates your favorite shows. And instead of formulating a well-reasoned explanation as to why he should give your shows a shot, you're shooting insults across the internet at people you don't know. And all that probably ends up doing is reinforces his beliefs. If I were Higgins, my response would be, "Look at the kinds of mouth-breathers that enjoy this show, why would I want anything to do with that again?"


When those shows win Emmy's and our given wide acclaim by critics all over, then yeah, I'd give them a chance. Your argument that you don't have enough time is fine. I think you should give it a shot, but OK. Higgin's argument boils down to, "the theme sucks and I don't like cowboys. So, obviously it's no good." That's childish.


But I have stacks and stacks of stuff that the base concept interests me. I'm not just going to watch something because "it's good".
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 3:39pm

rdb wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:I don't think Ray likes me very much.

now that's just not true.


You don't like me a whole bunch? :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby kenzo » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 3:55pm

jesseewiak wrote:When those shows win Emmy's and our given wide acclaim by critics all over, then yeah, I'd give them a chance. Your argument that you don't have enough time is fine. I think you should give it a shot, but OK. Higgin's argument boils down to, "the theme sucks and I don't like cowboys. So, obviously it's no good." That's childish.
There are a billion shows, movies, videogames, books, music albums, live performances, art exhibits, board games, and other stuff that are given wide acclaim by critics all over, and I try to give them a chance, but I don't have time for everything. It isn't childish to pick and choose what I'm going to use my spare time and money on - that's a very adult perspective and approach to life. And I know I speak for Higgins as well on this. We don't all have infinite time and money to throw away at something as frivolous as entertainment. So who is the bigger child - a guy who lives his life like an adult, or the guy who insults random people over the internet because they don't like what you like?

Also, LOL @ you putting stock into the Emmys and taking their awards seriously.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby jesseewiak » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 4:09pm

Master Higgins wrote:
jesseewiak wrote:
Dismissing a show based on its premise isn't a crime. You probably dismiss shows based on premise all the time and just don't realize it. Unless you're gonna tell me you give every show on every channel a shot like Days of our Lives, or Pregnant in Heels, or The X Factor, or Kim's Fairytale Wedding: A Kardashian Event, then you're just as guilty as he is. The difference is, you're just pissy that he hates your favorite shows. And instead of formulating a well-reasoned explanation as to why he should give your shows a shot, you're shooting insults across the internet at people you don't know. And all that probably ends up doing is reinforces his beliefs. If I were Higgins, my response would be, "Look at the kinds of mouth-breathers that enjoy this show, why would I want anything to do with that again?"


When those shows win Emmy's and our given wide acclaim by critics all over, then yeah, I'd give them a chance. Your argument that you don't have enough time is fine. I think you should give it a shot, but OK. Higgin's argument boils down to, "the theme sucks and I don't like cowboys. So, obviously it's no good." That's childish.


But I have stacks and stacks of stuff that the base concept interests me. I'm not just going to watch something because "it's good".


Great. Make that argument on the podcast instead of saying the theme music sucked.
jesseewiak
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Jan 13th, 2012 @ 2:07pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby jesseewiak » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 4:15pm

kenzo wrote:
jesseewiak wrote:When those shows win Emmy's and our given wide acclaim by critics all over, then yeah, I'd give them a chance. Your argument that you don't have enough time is fine. I think you should give it a shot, but OK. Higgin's argument boils down to, "the theme sucks and I don't like cowboys. So, obviously it's no good." That's childish.
There are a billion shows, movies, videogames, books, music albums, live performances, art exhibits, board games, and other stuff that are given wide acclaim by critics all over, and I try to give them a chance, but I don't have time for everything. It isn't childish to pick and choose what I'm going to use my spare time and money on - that's a very adult perspective and approach to life. And I know I speak for Higgins as well on this. We don't all have infinite time and money to throw away at something as frivolous as entertainment. So who is the bigger child - a guy who lives his life like an adult, or the guy who insults random people over the internet because they don't like what you like?

Also, LOL @ you putting stock into the Emmys and taking their awards seriously.


I was using the Emmy's as an example. When a show is on just about every single critics top ten list, then I think it's passed the "no good barrier." Like I said, if Higgins had made the argument that he had no time and didn't like concepts, I still would've snarked that he had time to watch Transformers multiple times. But, I would've been cool with it. But, by dismissing a quality show simply on basis of it's theme music and location means people might get upset with you.
jesseewiak
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Jan 13th, 2012 @ 2:07pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby LiQuid » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 4:17pm

Higgins has demonstrated on multiple occasions that he's completely incapable of being practical. You've sufficiently made your point but I think you need to let this one go now.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 4:36pm

I think the theme song of a show can be an instrumental part of the show, often showing the overall "themes" of the show. By choosing a combination of rap and country, this show is going for a certain feeling, one I have no interest in. For example, one of of the reason I didn't watch Enterprise was because of the theme song, despite being a major Star Trek fan.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby LiQuid » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 4:56pm

Master Higgins wrote:I think the theme song of a show can be an instrumental part of the show, often showing the overall "themes" of the show. By choosing a combination of rap and country, this show is going for a certain feeling, one I have no interest in. For example, one of of the reason I didn't watch Enterprise was because of the theme song, despite being a major Star Trek fan.

At least acknowledge that you are ridiculous. Please.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 5:03pm

Jesseewiak, meet Kenzo. He's a vengeful ghost that haunts the forums and escalates discussions and arguments into exercises in tedium and overreaction. Your logical replies cannot faze him. Also I am a racist and the Antichrist.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby kenzo » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 5:16pm

Not only is a theme song an integral part of the show, but it's how the show chooses to sell itself to prospective viewers. Is it kind of like judging a book by its cover? Not exactly. Most authors have no say in how a book's cover gets designed. Whereas making the opening theme is part of the regular production process of a show that show creators have some influence over. Also, in the world before DVRs, you'd frequently find yourself having to listen to a theme song every single episode. One of the reasons I HATED Friends back in the day was that obnoxious as fuck opening *clap clap clap clap*. Whereas a good show, the theme will help set the tone for what you're about to watch and actually make you anxious to continue watching, even after years of the same tune (like M.A.S.H. or Star Trek: TOS or Cheers or Cowboy Bebop). Is it right to judge a show strictly on its opening? It's probably not the wisest thing to do. But I can't fault someone for doing so at the same time.

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:Jesseewiak, meet Kenzo. He's a vengeful ghost that haunts the forums and escalates discussions and arguments into exercises in tedium and overreaction. Your logical replies cannot faze him.
Only in hateful racist DudeLand is pointless and uncalled for namecalling considered "logical".
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby kenzo » Feb 1st, 2012 @ 5:17pm

LiQuid wrote:At least acknowledge that you are ridiculous. Please.
I'm pretty sure he's admitted to that several several times.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Next
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron