Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 7:47pm

Master Higgins wrote:Yeah, but BBT is bad...

Right. Just like "The Batman" and "Transformers: Animated" are bad too. What do this shows all have in common? Oh, that's right, you never gave them a chance.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 7:47pm

"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 7:53pm

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:

That noise at the end is all I hear when I watch this show.

Which is almost never.

Thank Superman.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 7:57pm

Remember that funny joke that one time in Big Bang Theory?

Neither do I!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 7:58pm

jinpei05 wrote:

Right. Just like "The Batman" and "Transformers: Animated" are bad too. What do this shows all have in common? Oh, that's right, you never gave them a chance.

I gave them both a few episodes. They were bad. When the basic animation makes me want to vomit, I can't continue.

Funny enough, I was just having a conversation about getting through the first two seasons of TNG to hit the good stuff but, ya know, it's Star Trek.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Creep » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 8:03pm

My rule of thumb is to attempt to encourage someone to try something they might like once. If they don't get in into it, wait. Try one more time. If they still don't get into it, stop. Then I give up. Higgins will never like something he has his mind set on. Just like i'll never give jrpg's a chance. Well, maybe I will again next generation. But, I'm open minded. Long pig is tasty.
Last edited by Creep on Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 8:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creep

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 8:08pm

Master Higgins wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:

I gave them both a few episodes. They were bad. When the basic animation makes me want to vomit, I can't continue.

So how do you explain your love for Avengers: Earth's Mightest Heroes? That shit should make you anorexic. :lol:

If you're referring to Jeff Matsuda's art and character designs, yeah, they were a little rough, especially considering this was the successor to JLU. And yet, the creators showed great reverence to the original source material, and managed to still make them completely their own in fresh and original ways. By the time the fourth season started, the character designs really softened, and the writing really hit its stride.

The same with Transformers: Animated. Having Optimus Prime grow into the leader he was destined to be instead of just making him a badass out of the gate and having
Spoiler: show
Omega Supreme be the ship that brought them to earth
was a great twist on the formula and was the biggest surprise out of season two.

Green Lantern was complete and utter shit from both a design and story viewpoint, yet you give that a slide.

Master Higgins wrote:Funny enough, I was just having a conversation about getting through the first two seasons of TNG to hit the good stuff but, ya know, it's Star Trek.

TNG is another example of a show that took some time to get really good. And I'm not even a big Trek fan.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 8:43pm

The Batman was okaaaaaaaay but I think it tried too hard to make itself different from BTAS in order to be another "serious" Batman show. I especially loathe its version of Mr. Freeze who is just a jewel thief who stumbled into an ice machine instead of a really cool tragic villain. But I did enjoy Kevin Michael Richardson as The Joker even if he should have put some shoes on. What makes Brave and the Bold so great is because it is unapologetically Silver Age and driven by fun so it has its own identity separate from BTAS. That's why I'm worried about the new CGI show coming up. If there is to be another serious Batman show I think it should focus on having more "Bat Family" characters from the start like The Outsiders or the Birds of Prey. Then again it could be good since it's focusing more on the Morrison-made villains than the regulars like Joker and Penguin.

Transformers Animated is AMAZING. I admit the animation is kind of primitive but it makes up for it with clever and funny episodes and memorable characters. And it's filled with shout outs to the entire history of the Transformers franchise, like the Witwicky family being reoccurring gags. AND WEIRD AL IS WRECK-GAR!

"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 8:47pm

Guillermo_DudeL, you just gained a lifelong ally with that post.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 8:57pm

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:The Batman was okaaaaaaaay but I think it tried too hard to make itself different from BTAS in order to be another "serious" Batman show. I especially loathe its version of Mr. Freeze who is just a jewel thief who stumbled into an ice machine instead of a really cool tragic villain. But I did enjoy Kevin Michael Richardson as The Joker even if he should have put some shoes on. What makes Brave and the Bold so great is because it is unapologetically Silver Age and driven by fun so it has its own identity separate from BTAS. That's why I'm worried about the new CGI show coming up. If there is to be another serious Batman show I think it should focus on having more "Bat Family" characters from the start like The Outsiders or the Birds of Prey. Then again it could be good since it's focusing more on the Morrison-made villains than the regulars like Joker and Penguin.

I'll give you that their version of Mr. Freeze is a bit weaker than the classic tragic Victor Fries, but it's still far from irredeemable. Besides, having not one but TWO Clayfaces was pretty slick, along with the first animated version of Black Mask.

Having Ming-Na Wen as Detective Ellen Yin was really awesome. I wish she didn't just disappear after season two. There were some really great castings, like Gina Gershon as Catwoman, Robert Englund as an AWESOME Riddler, and Rino Romano earned his stripes as Batman after the first episode.

"Beware the Batman" does seem to have an uphill battle ahead of it to win over fans (why does Batman not use guns, but his butler does?), but considering its pedigree (Glen Murakami and Sam Register as executive producers), I'm a little less worried. And yeah, seeing Professor Pyg on screen is going to be awesome!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 9:33pm

jinpei05 wrote:Guillermo_DudeL, you just gained a lifelong ally with that post.

You feel a faint bond between you and Jinpei...

You have established the jinpei05 Social Link!
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 9:33pm

I actually did prefer the beginning of the series when I thought it was going in a Batman Begins/Year One direction where it was about a younger Batman and the closest thing he had to sidekicks was the two detectives. Later on when it started to incorporate traditional elements like Batgirl, Robin, and the Justice League and dropped the two detectives in favor of Commissioner Gordon was when it started to lose me. Also the crappy Marilyn Manson Riddler.

Alfred does use guns in the comics, which makes sense since he's an ex-soldier. However it's usually only in self-defense since he's not a crime fighter. It seems strange that Alfred will apparently fight along Batman when he's better as his mentor and medic. Maybe it's just bad marketing in order to make the show look more "edgy".
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Konanda » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 10:01pm

kenzo wrote:Konanda, applying stereotypes is wrong in that you can't assume an individual will fit the stereotypical mold. But before you jump to the defense of hillbillies everywhere, you should probably spend some time with hillbillies in rural areas here in the United States and not just your isolated, completely different hometown. There's a reason why large swaths of the country are called 'flyover states', or why every kid growing up in small-town USA wants to get the fuck out of there ASAP - rural areas suck, and largely because of the people who live in them.

It's more the implication that they are white so it's perfectly ok if he hates them that I facepalmed at.

I can recognise that Higgins is just a despicable bigot but the idea that he believes his bigotry is justified by being the same skin colour of the stereotype he has in his mind is the part that is absolute, hypocritical, lunacy and deeply disturbing.

Also the U.S.A must be a really, really, really shitty place if all the rural areas suck. I can't speak much to the rest of it but I've visited a good chunk of Michigan, parts of Indiana and Ohio and I never saw anything to the likes that you people make it out to be. In fact I would say that Sault St. Marie (U.S. side) and the nearby Native American reserve is probably one of the nicest areas I've visited in Michigan. I've also visited said areas with some friends of Asian descent and no awful things happened at all.

BTW, totally knew this was going to happen.
Last edited by Konanda on Feb 4th, 2012 @ 10:38am, edited 1 time in total.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Rydog » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 12:27am

I think Higgins believes anyone with a southern accent is a hick.

Also: This thread is awesome.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 12:48am

I love how so many people are united in the common goal of telling Higgins that he is wrong.
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Rydog » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 1:03am

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:I love how so many people are united in the common goal of telling Higgins that he is wrong.

Try explaining to him that he's dumb for not using his smart phone for email. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE.
Ryan Scott
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 10:22am

I CHECK MY 16 EMAIL ACCOUNTS ON MY PC BECAUSE THATS WHERE YOU READ EMAIL
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Jaebird » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 11:05am

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:I love how so many people are united in the common goal of telling Higgins that he is wrong.

I think everyone's just fed up with his Bizarro-Bizarro logic. Logic so bizarre, even Bizzaro would say, "What the fuck?"
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 11:12am

I think this is the point where after 2000 years of doing good deeds and 2000 years of being a trickster he's decided to be evil.
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Karen » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 11:29am

<3

THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI

http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
White Dudes Only

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 11:47am

Karen just won this thread.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 12:08pm

Never saw that movie, but that should be obvious by now. :twisted:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 2:00pm

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:I actually did prefer the beginning of the series when I thought it was going in a Batman Begins/Year One direction where it was about a younger Batman and the closest thing he had to sidekicks was the two detectives. Later on when it started to incorporate traditional elements like Batgirl, Robin, and the Justice League and dropped the two detectives in favor of Commissioner Gordon was when it started to lose me. Also the crappy Marilyn Manson Riddler.

I feel the same way. Having Ethan Bennett and Ellen Yin made for some very interesting dynamics. By the time Ethan fell from grace and Ellen was forced to ally with Batman, I was a solid fan. Season 2 continued with some really great ideas, including shades of romance between Bruce, Ellen, and Selina.

Season 3 was a complete tangent to what was previously established. It's probably their weakest season, but still pretty solid. And Season 4 was a grand slam, with some of the strongest episodes to date. Season 5 was ok I guess. Introducing the Justice League did give us some pretty cool episodes, but they just abandoned all the groundwork from Season 4.

And I don't care what anyone says. Freddy Krueger as a very creepy and sadistic Ridller is awesome.

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:Alfred does use guns in the comics, which makes sense since he's an ex-soldier. However it's usually only in self-defense since he's not a crime fighter. It seems strange that Alfred will apparently fight along Batman when he's better as his mentor and medic. Maybe it's just bad marketing in order to make the show look more "edgy".

Rubber bullets. Honest.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 3:04pm

Jaebird wrote:

I think everyone's just fed up with his Bizarro-Bizarro logic. Logic so bizarre, even Bizzaro would say, "What the fuck?"
If you're really fed up, you could always quit listening to the podcast.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 3:08pm

Full disclosure: Sometimes I'm just trolling it up, but there's usually a kernel of truth in my reasoning. I like what I like, and I don't really have any reasoning for it other than "it interests me".
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Rydog » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 3:36pm

Master Higgins wrote:Full disclosure: Sometimes I'm just trolling it up, but there's usually a kernel of truth in my reasoning. I like what I like, and I don't really have any reasoning for it other than "it interests me".

(I'm kidding. Mostly. You know I love you!)
Ryan Scott
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby Konanda » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 3:46pm

Master Higgins wrote:Full disclosure: Sometimes I'm just trolling it up, but there's usually a kernel of truth in my reasoning. I like what I like, and I don't really have any reasoning for it other than "it interests me".

Ya, for the most part I don't think anyone here is really that upset or irritated, it's just that this episode was so boring otherwise that pretty much the only thing to talk about was some of the crazier things you said or whatever.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 3:56pm

Konanda wrote:Ya, for the most part I don't think anyone here is really that upset or irritated

Konanda wrote:Higgins is just a despicable bigot
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 4:00pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 4th, 2012 @ 4:02pm

Ryan Scott has never posted more in one thread than this. He updated the About page on the site. He pimped the Comic Conspiracy podcast on Twitter. What's going on?!?
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics