Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Konanda » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 2:23pm

Master Higgins wrote:
Guillermo_DudeL wrote:HIGGINS Y U SO RACIST?


They're all white, so it's perfectly fine for me to hate them.


Image
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda
User avatar
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 3:52pm
Location: Midwestern Ontario, Canada

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Creep » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 2:33pm

I've always had an aversion to rednecks and anything that glamorized that lifestyle. I never got into Justified partially for that reason. Then I caught an episode and realized how cool Timothy Olyphant was in this role. He's just a cool character. Remember, it's based on an Elmore Leonard book. He wrote Jackie Brown, 3:10 to Yuma, and Out of Sight.
Creep
User avatar
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Dec 13th, 2009 @ 1:46am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 2:45pm

Look, just because something is deemed good by society doesn't mean I'm going to want to watch it, or have any interest in watching it. When the base concept does nothing for me, why would I watch it? Society has deemed fucking Big Bang Theory and Lady Gaga "good", and I just had to listen to the last 30 seconds of Poker Face over at the liquor store as I was checking out, and I wanted to put a shotgun through my face, so obviously what society and myself deem as good are not always going to be the same thing. I'm just not interested in watching the show, and in fact, it's now taken on the The Big Lebowski level of "jesus fucking christ people won't leave me alone about this fucking show that I'm now never going to watch it out of spite".
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby LiQuid » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 3:13pm

I don't think anybody ever considered Lady Gaga good. She's awesome, but probably not good per se.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 3:15pm

Konanda, applying stereotypes is wrong in that you can't assume an individual will fit the stereotypical mold. But before you jump to the defense of hillbillies everywhere, you should probably spend some time with hillbillies in rural areas here in the United States and not just your isolated, completely different hometown. There's a reason why large swaths of the country are called 'flyover states', or why every kid growing up in small-town USA wants to get the fuck out of there ASAP - rural areas suck, and largely because of the people who live in them. It takes a special kind of idiot to welcome wal-mart into their small town of 1,000 people, praise it as a champion of industry and capitalism, then wonder six months later why he's lost his job and why every other store in town is now out of business, and then blame the whole thing on Obama/Liberals.

Creep wrote:I've always had an aversion to rednecks and anything that glamorized that lifestyle. I never got into Justified partially for that reason.
This is one of the things I have against Breaking Bad. The setting, the characters, the scenario, it's all disturbingly similar to my hometown. I grew up surrounded by that shit. I don't want to see a show glamorizing or dramatizing it.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 3:15pm

Master Higgins wrote:Look, just because something is deemed good by society doesn't mean I'm going to want to watch it, or have any interest in watching it. When the base concept does nothing for me, why would I watch it? Society has deemed fucking Big Bang Theory and Lady Gaga "good", and I just had to listen to the last 30 seconds of Poker Face over at the liquor store as I was checking out, and I wanted to put a shotgun through my face, so obviously what society and myself deem as good are not always going to be the same thing. I'm just not interested in watching the show, and in fact, it's now taken on the The Big Lebowski level of "jesus fucking christ people won't leave me alone about this fucking show that I'm now never going to watch it out of spite".
NO U!
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 3:28pm

Higgins is the college kids from Tucker and Dale vs Evil
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 3:46pm

Master Higgins wrote:
Guillermo_DudeL wrote:HIGGINS Y U SO RACIST?


They're all white, so it's perfectly fine for me to hate them.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BoomerangBigot
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 3:48pm

Mr_eX wrote:Higgins is the college kids from Tucker and Dale vs Evil

And yet he won't watch that because the protagonists are rednecks.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 3:53pm

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:
Guillermo_DudeL wrote:HIGGINS Y U SO RACIST?


They're all white, so it's perfectly fine for me to hate them.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BoomerangBigot


I refuse to read anything on tvtropes.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 4:03pm

ITT: DudeL is a waste of breathable air (like always).
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby LiQuid » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 4:07pm

It's funny how ever since I ignored Jinpei kenzo is evolving into the new Jinpei. Maybe it's just a perception thing on my behalf...
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 4:08pm

I wonder if Higgins knows Big Trouble in Little China and Star Wars feature rednecks as the main character.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Creep » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 4:17pm

Lady Gaga is bad. Like Nicky Minaj, and other try-to-hard trends. You may never watch Justified, which is fine. I get it. I don't like Boondock Saints, because it's the kind of thing that frat boys think is awesome. I just can't get around to it's obviousness pseudo cool-factor of crime and guns. Plus, it's just not that good. Anyway, some stuff I try to expose people to because they might like it. But, in this case, I get it it. Most anime is annoying because of all the obvious reasons. But I still try to find the good stuff in it.
Creep
User avatar
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Dec 13th, 2009 @ 1:46am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 4:19pm

Mr_eX wrote:I wonder if Higgins knows Big Trouble in Little China and Star Wars feature rednecks as the main character.
That's not the same thing at all.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby LiQuid » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 4:31pm

ITT: People have a hard time liking things ironically. It's practically the only way I find enjoyment in life.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 4:38pm

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:I wonder if Higgins knows Big Trouble in Little China and Star Wars feature rednecks as the main character.
That's not the same thing at all.


Sure it is.

Also Sawyer from Lost and Woody Harrelson in Zombieland
Last edited by Mr_eX on Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 4:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby LiQuid » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 4:39pm

Bangarang eX!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 4:59pm

Mr_eX wrote:
kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:I wonder if Higgins knows Big Trouble in Little China and Star Wars feature rednecks as the main character.
That's not the same thing at all.
Sure it is.

Also Sawyer from Lost and Woody Harrelson in Zombieland
Having one character among an entire ensemble cast that's a hick in a show/film that has nothing to do with hicks is completely different from having an entire cast of hicks in a show entirely about hicks. Unless I was missing something where Cloud City is secretly a metaphor for the Bayou, or where all those Chinese people running around were secretly white people in makeup and they were secretly in the sewers of Macon and not San Francisco.

I get the point you're trying to make, but it's an extremely flawed one. You would have been better served by saying something about The Walking Dead (which is a show/comic entirely about hicks doing hick-things - there just happens to be zombies everywhere).
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 5:01pm

I also don't watch shows about various Housewives, people from some Shore in New Jersey, any of the various rap-based programs on (Not)M(usic)TV, women who weren't aware they were pregnant, or anything else that shows up on The Soup.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 5:01pm

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:
kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:I wonder if Higgins knows Big Trouble in Little China and Star Wars feature rednecks as the main character.
That's not the same thing at all.
Sure it is.

Also Sawyer from Lost and Woody Harrelson in Zombieland
Having one character among an entire ensemble cast that's a hick in a show/film that has nothing to do with hicks is completely different from having an entire cast of hicks in a show entirely about hicks. Unless I was missing something where Cloud City is secretly a metaphor for the Bayou, or where all those Chinese people running around were secretly white people in makeup and they were secretly in the sewers of Macon and not San Francisco.

I get the point you're trying to make, but it's an extremely flawed one. You would have been better served by saying something about The Walking Dead (which is a show/comic entirely about hicks doing hick-things - there just happens to be zombies everywhere).


The Walking Dead has exactly one hick among the entire main cast. And he's pretty bad ass!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Jaebird » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 5:13pm

Master Higgins wrote:I also don't watch shows about various Housewives, people from some Shore in New Jersey, any of the various rap-based programs on (Not)M(usic)TV, women who weren't aware they were pregnant, or anything else that shows up on The Soup.

The only people who watch those shows are teenage girls. I know, because my sister is one of them.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird
User avatar
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Jun 6th, 2009 @ 7:37am
Location: New Iberia, LA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 5:13pm

Everyone in the Walking Dead is a hick. They all come from the south, they're all retarded people who do retarded things and make retarded choices. How much more hick does it get than the dude who beat his wife, or the main character's bff who sleeps with his wife? It's one of the big reasons why I hate that show, honestly. Or hey, Zombies in the shed? The only answer is obviously to UNLOAD ALL YOUR AMMO INDISCRIMINATELY into the zombies. Everyone is a fucking idiot and deserves to die in that show.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 5:22pm

kenzo wrote:Everyone in the Walking Dead is a hick. They all come from the south, they're all retarded people who do retarded things and make retarded choices. How much more hick does it get than the dude who beat his wife, or the main character's bff who sleeps with his wife? It's one of the big reasons why I hate that show, honestly. Or hey, Zombies in the shed? The only answer is obviously to UNLOAD ALL YOUR AMMO INDISCRIMINATELY into the zombies. Everyone is a fucking idiot and deserves to die in that show.


Well, either way, take a show like Walking Dead and compare it to True Blood. Zombies and Vampires, check. I'll check out these shows because of these base concepts. The hick factor is Walking Dead is much lower than True Blood, where the hickness has eclipsed the Vampires, making it uninteresting for me.

[edit] Oops, hit Submit too early. With a show like Justified, you don't have a base concept I'm interested in, and the hick factor takes main priority, putting it automatically into a "no-watch" zone. I try to avoid cop/law-enforcement/lawyer/doctor shows as often as possible, with the exception of shows where another factor overrides that as the "main" point of the show; ie. Psych, Burn Notice.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby LiQuid » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 5:33pm

Dude. There are no hicks in True Blood. Aside from maybe the werepanthers, but they don't show up until like a season ago.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 5:35pm

LiQuid wrote:Dude. There are no hicks in True Blood. Aside from maybe the werepanthers, but they don't show up until like a season ago.


What the what?
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby achickenchaser » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 5:53pm

Jesus fucking Christ.

It's so painfully obvious some of you have never lived around so-called hicks and rednecks it's funny. If you're attributing every negative adjective you can think of to someone you deem a hick, then yeah, fuck them. We call those people white trash or ghetto trash around here, not hicks or hillbillies.

and fuck Sons of Anarchy. I'm sick of these shows and movies that try soooooo hard to be all badass and manly, but end up coming across as pathetic and silly (to me anyways).
achickenchaser
User avatar
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Jul 2nd, 2009 @ 10:14pm
Location: Texas

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 5:56pm

I get what you're saying about True Blood, but that show started out being more about hicks, and has progressively gotten even more insane and whackier, contrary to your assertion. Werepanthers? Fairy Godmothers? Witches? In the first season, you could somewhat take the character drama seriously, and there wasn't someone exploding into a flurry of guts every ten minutes. But nowadays this show is out of its god damned mind, and it's hilarious. You're not asked to sympathize with these idiotic hicks - just to LOL at their collective misery (unlike The Walking Dead, where they're continually trying to play on your sympathizes, and it doesn't work because fuck all those people).

Also, no, The Walking Dead has almost nothing to do with Zombies. Like you've even acknowledged many times, they're simply a setting for a bunch of character drama. YOU'VE BEEN TRICKED INTO WATCHING A HICK-SOAP OPERA AND YOU'RE ACTUALLY ENJOYING IT.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 7:35pm

Master Higgins wrote:Look, just because something is deemed good by society doesn't mean I'm going to want to watch it, or have any interest in watching it. When the base concept does nothing for me, why would I watch it? Society has deemed fucking Big Bang Theory and Lady Gaga "good", and I just had to listen to the last 30 seconds of Poker Face over at the liquor store as I was checking out, and I wanted to put a shotgun through my face, so obviously what society and myself deem as good are not always going to be the same thing. I'm just not interested in watching the show, and in fact, it's now taken on the The Big Lebowski level of "jesus fucking christ people won't leave me alone about this fucking show that I'm now never going to watch it out of spite".

I'd like to point out that you are on record as saying you've only seen the pilot and assorted clips of BBT. I'd have less of an objection to your dislike of the show if you actually watched more than the 23 minutes and change that that adds up to and came up with legitimate reasons as opposed to your suppositions of what you think the show is. I at least gave LOST the entire first season before dismissing it.

LiQuid wrote:It's funny how ever since I ignored Jinpei kenzo is evolving into the new Jinpei. Maybe it's just a perception thing on my behalf...

Yeah, probably, you stupid prick.

Konanda wrote:BTW this episode was pretty terrible, you guys need to get Karen back.

Congrats, you've discovered the secret to the podcast's longevity and popularity.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 155

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 7:38pm

Yeah, but BBT is bad...
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron