Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby Karen » Mar 6th, 2012 @ 2:57pm

Hello forum members! Our first episode of Good Job, Brain! is up.

Enjoy ;)

Image

Kanpai! Sláinte! Cheers!

It's our inaugural episode! So why not douse yourself in eccentric facts about liquor, spirits, and libations? Seagull wine, beer laws, cocktail origins, "alternative" imbibation methods, and more.

ALSO: Pop Quiz, Hot Shot!, Music Round, and how to memorize the provinces of Canada

RUNTIME: 44 minutes 30 seconds

http://goodjobbrain.com

> DIRECT DOWNLOAD: http://traffic.libsyn.com/goodjobbrain/ ... lcohol.mp3

> iTUNES SUB: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/good ... d507938401

> RSS FEED: http://goodjobbrain.libsyn.com/rss
THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI


http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
User avatar
White Dudes Only
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 1:16am
Location: Berkeley

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby totoro » Mar 6th, 2012 @ 3:07pm

Had a chance to give this a listen on my way down to a meeting and thought it was great (also while I've been working on the alltalk RSS feed). From one pub trivia junkie to another, keep it going!
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro
User avatar
 
Posts: 2226
Joined: Dec 28th, 2010 @ 10:32am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby LiQuid » Mar 6th, 2012 @ 3:08pm

This makes up for Higgins fucking up Comic Conspiracy this week. Can't wait!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby LiQuid » Mar 6th, 2012 @ 3:24pm

Poop, literally within the first two minutes of debuting. Poop.

Entire Geekbox network roster of podcasts dethroned as far as I'm concerned.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby IRL_Troll » Mar 6th, 2012 @ 5:34pm

I'm very giddy of all a sudden. I knew something was off in my world, but couldn't pin it down until now when I realized that I knew this was coming out, no idea when, so it made me anxious...and now its alleviated! Listening as I type this!
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll
User avatar
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Dec 3rd, 2009 @ 11:55am
Location: Southwest MO

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby LiQuid » Mar 6th, 2012 @ 5:52pm

One of the gentlemen on the podcast mentioned it, but you guys totally need buzzers for the pop quiz section. Great idea.

"Sometimes you wanna get eff'd up and all you have is a horse."

Man this is fun. Good job Karen & Co.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby LiQuid » Mar 6th, 2012 @ 6:05pm

Calling party foul for trying to teach me something about Canada. I'm ok with Canada being a black spot in my trivial learnings.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby letsbook » Mar 7th, 2012 @ 4:02am

Just registered to post some feedback on this. I enjoyed it... absolutely, good fun, the discussion was lively and the guests / co-hosts were fun. It might have been my iPhone but it seemed to loop back to an earlier point at the end of the podcast which was weird. I also felt that the musical interludes to announce a new section were a bit jarring, I'd like to hear the music and then hear the announcement of the segment, and as was mentioned, people definitely need buzzers.

A great first show though. Keep up the good work, and hope you don't feel I'm being a negative nancy... just wanted to leave you some feedback.
letsbook
User avatar
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 7th, 2012 @ 3:55am

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby kenzo » Mar 7th, 2012 @ 5:07am

Nobody told me Chris Kohler was on this podcast.

Spoiler: show
Image


Edit: People say buzzers are needed, but on an audio podcast, I don't see how that would benefit the listeners... unless everyone had distinct sounding buzzers... hmmm...
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby LiQuid » Mar 7th, 2012 @ 8:04am

It would benefit the listener by allowing us to not have to listen to a cacophony of answers being blurted out...
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby Stefan » Mar 7th, 2012 @ 8:18am

Loved the first episode. Some further facts to the booze talk -

Cider got its name from the variety of apples used to make it - Cider Apples.

Perry got its name from the variety of pears used to make it - Perry Pears.

The term "pear cider", although getting more commonly used, actually makes no sense.

Also - in England we call Gin & Tonic "mothers ruin" as it's the favoured drink of middle aged women!
Stefan
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Feb 24th, 2012 @ 12:59am

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby dabeast0976 » Mar 7th, 2012 @ 10:03am

LiQuid wrote:Calling party foul for trying to teach me something about Canada. I'm ok with Canada being a black spot in my trivial learnings.


Side note: had a meeting during Toy Fair with a Canadian rep, my boss and a rep from Texas. I said, "Canada, America's hat" with the most earnest look on my face. Guy from Canada was not amused, but my boss and the Texas rep couldn't stop laughing. Guy was still pissed three days later. Mission accomplished. :D :lol:
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby LiQuid » Mar 7th, 2012 @ 10:08am

Canadian patriotism is almost as cute as Texan patriotism.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby Konanda » Mar 7th, 2012 @ 10:46am

Oh snap it's Chris Kohler!

Damn, Chris Kohler saying some of the provinces sounded super foreign. Particularly Saskatchewan.

Anyway, neat show I like that it was fairly short.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda
User avatar
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 3:52pm
Location: Midwestern Ontario, Canada

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby Karen » Mar 7th, 2012 @ 1:30pm

letsbook wrote:A great first show though. Keep up the good work, and hope you don't feel I'm being a negative nancy... just wanted to leave you some feedback.


No worries. Feedback is feedback. I might have years of experience of being ON a podcast but I'm completely new to actually *make* a podcast. I'm learning as I go! Keeping time, preparing, moderating, editing, and setting up all of my producer tools. It's quite a lot. But luckily, it really helps when you have a cast with good chemistry. We actually do all talk and interact like that in real life too.

I'm thinking of making buzzer with cat noises. Like different "meows". Looking into it.
THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI


http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
User avatar
White Dudes Only
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 1:16am
Location: Berkeley

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby flufflogic » Mar 7th, 2012 @ 2:23pm

I got the music round :D Was quite proud of that. And yes, I was shouting as they all got Iron Man wrong.
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby TokingMonkey » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 5:44am

Karen wrote:
letsbook wrote:A great first show though. Keep up the good work, and hope you don't feel I'm being a negative nancy... just wanted to leave you some feedback.


No worries. Feedback is feedback. I might have years of experience of being ON a podcast but I'm completely new to actually *make* a podcast. I'm learning as I go! Keeping time, preparing, moderating, editing, and setting up all of my producer tools. It's quite a lot. But luckily, it really helps when you have a cast with good chemistry. We actually do all talk and interact like that in real life too.

I'm thinking of making buzzer with cat noises. Like different "meows". Looking into it.



The buzzer's idea is a good one. I think it's important that if you guys do incorporate buzzers, that each one is different and unique from each other, and that you state who is using which buzzer before the show. I think a cat sound would be good, but maybe just for one of them? It's up to you of course, keep up the good work.
TokingMonkey
User avatar
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Jun 22nd, 2011 @ 8:39am

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby kenzo » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 6:09am

TokingMonkey wrote:I think a cat sound would be good, but maybe just for one of them? It's up to you of course, keep up the good work.
Make one a cat, one a frog, one a sheep, one a dog.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby tardbasket » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 8:13am

TokingMonkey wrote:
Karen wrote:
letsbook wrote:A great first show though. Keep up the good work, and hope you don't feel I'm being a negative nancy... just wanted to leave you some feedback.


No worries. Feedback is feedback. I might have years of experience of being ON a podcast but I'm completely new to actually *make* a podcast. I'm learning as I go! Keeping time, preparing, moderating, editing, and setting up all of my producer tools. It's quite a lot. But luckily, it really helps when you have a cast with good chemistry. We actually do all talk and interact like that in real life too.

I'm thinking of making buzzer with cat noises. Like different "meows". Looking into it.



The buzzer's idea is a good one. I think it's important that if you guys do incorporate buzzers, that each one is different and unique from each other, and that you state who is using which buzzer before the show. I think a cat sound would be good, but maybe just for one of them? It's up to you of course, keep up the good work.


The buzzer is a good idea because you'll be able to slow it down to give the listeners a chance to process a question and think of an answer themselves.
tardbasket
User avatar
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Dec 6th, 2011 @ 9:24pm

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby gorm » Mar 9th, 2012 @ 7:16pm

Chris Kohler is god!
gorm
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 9th, 2012 @ 7:13pm

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby wtfpeople » Mar 11th, 2012 @ 9:13pm

Right now Good Job Brain's First Episode is number one on the Episodes List in the Hobbies section.

Also, Good Job Brain is number one Podcast in the Hobbies Section.
wtfpeople
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mar 12th, 2011 @ 10:55am

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby dabeast0976 » Mar 12th, 2012 @ 8:16am

flufflogic wrote:I got the music round :D Was quite proud of that. And yes, I was shouting as they all got Iron Man wrong.


I was on a crowded F train and was thisclose to screaming "BLACK SABBATH's IRON MAN YOU MORONS!!!" How the hell are two grown men going to get Peebo Bryson and Celine Dion but not Sabbath? My mind is bottled. :roll:
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby LiQuid » Mar 12th, 2012 @ 8:38am

LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Good Job, Brain! #1 Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker

Postby leebenningfield » Mar 15th, 2012 @ 8:00am

I finally listened to this, and rather enjoyed it. I find it hard to listen to podcasts that are too focused on one topic (e.g. video game podcasts that only talk about video games) and since "trivia" is usually the off-topic content on other shows, it sounds like this show will hold my interest longer than most.

Also, this was a perfect first episode to really grab my attention, because I love the booze trivia.
leebenningfield
User avatar
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Feb 26th, 2010 @ 3:53pm

Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron