Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 161

Postby Rydog » Mar 13th, 2012 @ 11:37pm

On this week's Geekbox, it's time to talk John Carter (...of Mars, apparently), and the best movies nobody's ever watched. And don't forget to check out our t-shirt giveaway thread!

Subscribe on iTunes!
Subscribe on Stitcher! (Make sure to use the promo code "GEEKBOX")
Subscribe on Zune Marketplace!
Follow me on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
Send us some email!
Throw us free money if you're so inclined!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 161

Postby puppybox » Mar 14th, 2012 @ 7:08am

I didn't realize how much I missed the Fitch Hitch until I read those words

Geekbox nostalgia
puppybox

Postby BeowolfSchaefer » Mar 15th, 2012 @ 6:11am

Who wouldn't go see John Carter Does his Taxes?
BeowolfSchaefer

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 15th, 2012 @ 9:11am

Prince of Persia made $335 million, it wasn't a flop. John Carter is doing better overseas, it had the 5th biggest opening ever in Russia.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby dabeast0976 » Mar 16th, 2012 @ 10:34am

i posted this in the CC Ep 48 thread, but since no one goes there..

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 48

Postby dabeast0976 » Mar 15th, 2012 @ 7:44am
The person who changed the name from John Carter of Mars to just John Carter was MT Carney. she had absolutely no business in the entertainment industry. There is a huge difference from Madison Ave marketing exec to head of marketing for the largest entertainment operation in the world. By the time she was gone it was too late to change the name back.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/m-t-car ... y-studios/
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby Bboy_Izilla » Mar 16th, 2012 @ 5:54pm

Good stuff Rydog

lol @ Fitch considering himself to be well-read. Though I'm glad Karen called you on your weirdo-ness when talking about women, I'm happy you've found a lady. It gives assholes like me hope.

lol @ liking The Artist ... sorry, not feeling the triteness of the relationship between the lady and Frenchy McWeepy Pants. Though I could make a not-so-funny analogical joke about how the movie's "old to new" take is similar to games journalism [print/web, long-form vs ADHD quick posts, etc] I'll just say...

no sir. I don't like it.

lol @ valuing Forest Gump. I'm with Eddie Murphy in Bowfinger on this one. "Find me a job as a retarded slave."
The only roles black people are liable for still revolve around stereotypes implanted in Hollywood since cinema's inception [place an inception horn here].

also Expendables is fun. Masturbatory fun, that deserves to be made fun of, but still fun.
Bboy_Izilla

Postby LiQuid » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 7:03am

Holy shit Higgins just watch the damn trailer before you blow a fucking nerd gasket next time.

LiQuid

Postby Bboy_Izilla » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 8:38am

I got a friend like Higgins. Always running off at the mouth about stuff he hasn't read, watched or heard. Then when he watches, listens or reads whatever he blanket judges, he either pretends like he "really doesn't like that stuff" or quietly recants ... hoping no one remembers the ignorant and uninformed things he said initially.

Hold strong Higgins
Bboy_Izilla

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 11:50am

LiQuid wrote:Holy shit Higgins just watch the damn trailer before you blow a fucking nerd gasket next time.

Eh? I love Game of Thrones. What did I do this time?
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 11:54am

Bboy_Izilla wrote:I got a friend like Higgins. Always running off at the mouth about stuff he hasn't read, watched or heard. Then when he watches, listens or reads whatever he blanket judges, he either pretends like he "really doesn't like that stuff" or quietly recants ... hoping no one remembers the ignorant and uninformed things he said initially.

Hold strong Higgins

I don't usually say something is bad without seeing it/reading it, but I'll gladly give my opinion of why I'm just not interested in something. I don't even remember what I said in this episode. If something is good, than cool...I'm might be eating my words about the Hunger Game movie right here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3129
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 11:55am

You were bitching up a blue streak about Florence and the Machine being used in the trailer.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 11:56am

LiQuid wrote:You were bitching up a blue streak about Florence and the Machine being used in the trailer.

Oh yeah. Did I bitch about the modern music in the John Carter trailer, too? I hate that shit.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 11:58am

Master Higgins wrote:
LiQuid wrote:You were bitching up a blue streak about Florence and the Machine being used in the trailer.

Oh yeah. Did I bitch about the modern music in the John Carter trailer, too? I hate that shit.

Yeah you did. Did you realize that these movies and shows are also scored using all kinds of modern instruments and music making techniques that were completely anachronistic for their time anyways? Unless you thought they had synthesizers in whatever time Game of Thrones takes place in, shut your nerd hole and just embrace it!
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 12:05pm

LiQuid wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Yeah you did. Did you realize that these movies and shows are also scored using all kinds of modern instruments and music making techniques that were completely anachronistic for their time anyways? Unless you thought they had synthesizers in whatever time Game of Thrones takes place in, shut your nerd hole and just embrace it!

Yeah, no kidding, but I just wish the music would stay close to the ideas of the source material. I go back and forth on Baz Luhrmann stuff, I don't know how I feel about "modern" music in Moulin Rouge despite liking the movie, and Romeo and Juliet is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Same with A Knight's Tale.

But funny enough, I kinda want to see Marie Antoinette, but mostly because of the soundtrack: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Anto ... ndtrack%29

New Wave > accurate portrayal of music for the time
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 12:10pm

Master Higgins wrote:Yeah, no kidding, but I just wish the music would stay close to the ideas of the source material. I go back and forth on Baz Luhrmann stuff, I don't know how I feel about "modern" music in Moulin Rouge despite liking the movie, and Romeo and Juliet is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Same with A Knight's Tale.

But funny enough, I kinda want to see Marie Antoinette, but mostly because of the soundtrack: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Anto ... ndtrack%29

This isn't about a song being featured in the show proper. It's a song used in the trailer to invoke an emotional response. Say what you will about those movies you listed and their interpretation or reimagining of aged material with the use of modern music (of which I think Baz Luhrmann's movies stand in a totally different class as Knights Tale), but all of those examples have nothing to do with this.

Look at stuff like the original Gears of War's "Mad World" trailer, where they used that song to brilliant effect evoking a sense of sadness amidst violent imagery. I imagine not many Tears for Fears albums survived the Locust invasion...
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 12:38pm

Master Higgins wrote:
LiQuid wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Yeah, no kidding, but I just wish the music would stay close to the ideas of the source material. I go back and forth on Baz Luhrmann stuff, I don't know how I feel about "modern" music in Moulin Rouge despite liking the movie, and Romeo and Juliet is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Same with A Knight's Tale.

You should watch Boardwalk Empire because that show is ill and besides the awful opening credits (which I just fast forwards through every time), the show only uses period-music that's completely honest to the times.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 2:22pm

Master Higgins wrote:
LiQuid wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

You do realise it's a trailer? Music in trailers is not necessarily the same music used in the end product.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Bboy_Izilla » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 2:31pm

Ya'll don't understand...

Higgins just wants all this stuff to be like he wants it to be. When it isn't, he finds it uninteresting. It's how his world works
Bboy_Izilla

Postby kevinep3 » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 4:04pm

kenzo wrote:]You should watch Boardwalk Empire because that show is ill and besides the awful opening credits (which I just fast forwards through every time), the show only uses period-music that's completely honest to the times.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby achickenchaser » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 5:22pm

Nobody should take IMDB ratings seriously.

I could go there right now and give every movie in the top 20 one star, even if I haven't seen any of them.
achickenchaser

Forum Statistics