Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 54

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 23rd, 2012 @ 10:08pm

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 54

Postby Roadie Brock » Apr 24th, 2012 @ 9:40am

"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Insanityinchaos » Apr 24th, 2012 @ 10:24am

It's always crazy. Especially when we talk creator rights stuff.
Insanityinchaos

Postby kenzo » Apr 24th, 2012 @ 12:05pm

Insanityinchaos wrote:It's always crazy. Especially when we talk creator rights stuff.

Oh no, not again... :(
kenzo

Postby Fade2Black » Apr 24th, 2012 @ 12:07pm

I haven't listened to the episode yet on account my iPod's hard drive crapping out mid-way through the latest episode of The Infinite Long Box. :cry: :x :evil:
Fade2Black

Postby LiQuid » Apr 24th, 2012 @ 12:20pm

kenzo wrote:
Insanityinchaos wrote:It's always crazy. Especially when we talk creator rights stuff.

Damn it.
LiQuid

Postby red_shirt » Apr 24th, 2012 @ 1:02pm

Yeah... it went there again... sigh...

Brock, you need to stop using your idealized dream world as a basis for your legal viewpoints. As much as we'd all like the world to be that way, it just doesn't exist as such and it provides no acceptable grounds for any sort of argument whatsoever.

On the bright side, since its just an idea... it CAN'T BE COPYRIGHTED!!! :o
red_shirt

Postby comicsanddakine » Apr 24th, 2012 @ 3:07pm

Much love for you guys but happy I wasn't there to talk about the BIG EVIL CORP vs. POOR LIL' CREATOR. I will do what I can next week to keep things centered where it should be...COMICS, TITS & ASS !!
comicsanddakine

Postby Toby » Apr 24th, 2012 @ 3:16pm

comicsanddakine wrote:Much love for you guys but happy I wasn't there to talk about the BIG EVIL CORP vs. POOR LIL' CREATOR. I will do what I can next week to keep things centered where it should be...COMICS, TITS & ASS !!

Comics, Tits, and Ass? You mean the 90s? lol
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby SerpentineZERO » Apr 24th, 2012 @ 3:28pm

god dammit guys

Anyway, unrelated to that, I'd say the Suicide Squad is a bit of a new direction from the 80s series. I've read the first TP of the Ostrander run and it's more of a character driven black ops-style book; the new one is mostly action.
SerpentineZERO

Postby Konanda » Apr 24th, 2012 @ 6:00pm

LiQuid wrote:
kenzo wrote:

Damn it.

It's bad, really bad to listen to. I'd suggest just shutting it off at the half minute mark unless you want to loose your sanity points trying to comprehend just how Brock comes to his idealogical delusions. Especially with the guy who got canned for his disparging comments about DC. It almost seems like he doesn't understand how free speech or an employement contract works. Unless it's specified in your terms of employement that you are allowed to say whatever you want about them (which 99.99% of businesses would never allow this) you do not make public statements about them. The two exceptions to this rule is if the business is telling you to do something that is illegal or not safe, if this happens the rule (be it written or unwritten) is take it up with your supervisor or the appropriate department moving up the chain until the issue is dealt with. If this does not resolve the issue than you are left with either resigning or whistle blowing. For any other issue you should handle it internally or if that doesn't work than quit and look for a job elsewhere.

From what has been said about this guy his issue was an idelogical one with DC's relationship with people who have done contract work and their royalties. This neither has to do with them telling him to do something illegal or something that is not safe so he should not have made public comments about it while still under their employment. It's fine that he wanted to quit and his reasons for quitting are perfectly reasonable as well, however what he should have done is kept it internal instead of have it out there freely on the internet!
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby SerpentineZERO » Apr 24th, 2012 @ 8:16pm

Dude was quitting anyway so it's not really a big deal that he was fired, unless you were looking forward to reading his arc on Fairest. I'm not faulting his reasoning for leaving or anything but he should've known that it would lead to this.

Jim Lee and Dan Didio actually addressed this. EDIT: Nevermind, you actually brought this up.
SerpentineZERO

Postby SerpentineZERO » Apr 24th, 2012 @ 11:57pm

God, this is what happens when we complain about HeroClix. Please be back next week, Omar.
SerpentineZERO

Postby kenzo » Apr 25th, 2012 @ 2:35am

Attn: Toby

I'm guessing that the reason why nobody is uploading the most recent episodes of Young Justice and Avatar: Legend of Korra is that both of those shows are available for streaming on their respective websites. Here's a direct link to Episode 3 of Korra. I think you have to do some registering on the Cartoon Network website, but that's available for free too.
kenzo

Postby the1captain » Apr 25th, 2012 @ 5:44am

Great debate about creators and the industry. Few people ever consider the investment the company makes in a book and the fact that it is really them that takes all the risk. Like Toby said, if the new 52 bombed the creators still got paid. Yes, that might have hurt them towards future employment. But it was DC that threw their money into the risk.

DC and Marvel have been around so long now that people know what they are getting when they deal with them. They are work for hire. These are their characters.

Regarding Alan Moore and Watchmen. Saw this article from JMS awhile back. He really lays out how DC bent over backwards(more than they really were required to) to accommodate Moore. People think DC was sneaky with keeping Watchmen in trade and therefore keeping the rights from Moore. What people don't consider is that back in the 1980's reprinting comics in trade was nothing like it is now. It was a rare thing to do. If the trade didn't sell, DC would have stopped reprinting the book. Keeping the rights from Moore likely had nothing to do with the decision. And keep in mind that all this time DC offered Moore his share of the royalties this whole time and didn't just cut him off.
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... mparisons/
the1captain

Postby dabeast0976 » Apr 25th, 2012 @ 6:53am

Konanda wrote:

I can't believe i am saying this, but i agree with Konanda. The rise of social media has made people "loose lipped" and think they can say whatever they want without there being repercussions. The issue between DC and The Superman creator's families has been going on for years, and the Watchmen issue has been going on for longer. Did he all of a sudden grow a set of morals or did he have them when he signed his DC contract, which would make him a hypocrite in the first place?

Yes Mr. Roberson, you have an opinion and expressed your "moral outrage" publicly thinking that since you are leaving they could do nothing about it, except Dan Didio did do something about it. Now your fans will not be able to read your final works on the stories you have been building because you could not keep your opinions to yourself. Congratulations.

As Charles Durning said in Home for the Holidays, "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they think theirs doesn't stink."
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby Toby » Apr 25th, 2012 @ 10:45am

kenzo wrote:Attn: Toby

I'm guessing that the reason why nobody is uploading the most recent episodes of Young Justice and Avatar: Legend of Korra is that both of those shows are available for streaming on their respective websites. Here's a direct link to Episode 3 of Korra. I think you have to do some registering on the Cartoon Network website, but that's available for free too.

Thanks Kenzo! Yeah I realized that Korra was online later that night. As for the cartoon network link, it looks like you need a tv provider to sign up? I don't have live tv currently but I'll dig deeper into the site. At least for now YJ is still up on Youtube in mirror mode, but would much rather watch it legally. (Also I tend to buy all the cartoons I like once they come out DVD/Blu, hence why I don't really want to pay for current digital versions of them.)

Anyways I'm up to date on both shows currently, and both are super awesome!!

I'm trying to catch on some comics too! Reading the Hickman run on FF - great stuff, Scarlet Spider 3 & 4 were a lot of fun, and also trying to stay up to date on Ryan and Brock's much hated AvX!
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby kenzo » Apr 25th, 2012 @ 12:45pm

Yeah, you need a TV provider it seems. I personally don't purchase cable TV, but I know a family member or two that I can bum their Comcast login-info in order to get this working.
kenzo

Postby Toby » Apr 25th, 2012 @ 1:54pm

Ooooh I didn't even think about that, I'm sure I can bum the log in from one of my friends! Thanks a lot Kenzo!
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby SerpentineZERO » Apr 25th, 2012 @ 3:52pm

dabeast0976 wrote:Yes Mr. Roberson, you have an opinion and expressed your "moral outrage" publicly thinking that since you are leaving they could do nothing about it, except Dan Didio did do something about it. Now your fans will not be able to read your final works on the stories you have been building because you could not keep your opinions to yourself. Congratulations.

I'm pretty sure the last few issues of iZombie will be published, but not the Fairest arc. I don't know if he even wrote his Fairest arc yet.
SerpentineZERO

Postby kenzo » Apr 26th, 2012 @ 3:02am

Aww, you pimped the forum-cast, Higgins. That was very nice of you. It almost makes up for how terrible the IP-talk was. :lol:
kenzo

Postby dabeast0976 » Apr 26th, 2012 @ 6:15am

SerpentineZERO wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote:Yes Mr. Roberson, you have an opinion and expressed your "moral outrage" publicly thinking that since you are leaving they could do nothing about it, except Dan Didio did do something about it. Now your fans will not be able to read your final works on the stories you have been building because you could not keep your opinions to yourself. Congratulations.

I'm pretty sure the last few issues of iZombie will be published, but not the Fairest arc. I don't know if he even wrote his Fairest arc yet.

If i heard Higgins correctly, they shelved all his work. Sounds like they are bringing someone else in to finish it.
dabeast0976

Postby EW70 » Apr 26th, 2012 @ 7:55am

Totally agree with Konanda and dabeast0976, particularly in relation to dabeast0976's point about the Siegel and Shuster and Moore-Watchmen disputes pre-dating Roberson's work for DC. Roberson absolutely has the right to both hold and express his views, but personally I find it kind of hypocritical that when Roberson was a sci-fi writer with no profile in the comics industry, hey, working for DC was fine...after iZombie, Cinderella, Fairest and sufficient profile to launch some indy titles, DC sucks. It didn't suck when Roberson was a nobody? Or Roberson knew it sucked but looked the other way until he didn't need DC any more?

I'm probably being way too snarky - again, I don't dispute that Roberson has the right to his views. But to try to argue that he is some kind of creators' rights martyr is beyond a joke.
EW70

Postby SerpentineZERO » Apr 26th, 2012 @ 3:56pm

dabeast0976 wrote:
SerpentineZERO wrote:

If i heard Higgins correctly, they shelved all his work. Sounds like they are bringing someone else in to finish it.

Yeah, but he's already written the last few iZombie issues. It wouldn't make sense to hire someone else on to finish it. So i think Higgins is wrong.
SerpentineZERO

Postby SerpentineZERO » Apr 26th, 2012 @ 3:58pm

EW70 wrote:I find it kind of hypocritical that when Roberson was a sci-fi writer with no profile in the comics industry, hey, working for DC was fine...after iZombie, Cinderella, Fairest and sufficient profile to launch some indy titles, DC sucks. It didn't suck when Roberson was a nobody? Or Roberson knew it sucked but looked the other way until he didn't need DC any more?

Well, to be fair, his problems with the company stem from fairly recent actions, like Before Watchmen.
SerpentineZERO

Postby dabeast0976 » Apr 27th, 2012 @ 6:30am

SerpentineZERO wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote:
SerpentineZERO wrote:

Yeah, but he's already written the last few iZombie issues. It wouldn't make sense to hire someone else on to finish it. So i think Higgins is wrong.

DC is a big enough entity that, yes, they would pay someone else to finish it just to spite him. Why would you want someone's name on your books that just publicly embarrassed you?
dabeast0976

Postby dabeast0976 » Apr 27th, 2012 @ 6:33am

SerpentineZERO wrote:
EW70 wrote:I find it kind of hypocritical that when Roberson was a sci-fi writer with no profile in the comics industry, hey, working for DC was fine...after iZombie, Cinderella, Fairest and sufficient profile to launch some indy titles, DC sucks. It didn't suck when Roberson was a nobody? Or Roberson knew it sucked but looked the other way until he didn't need DC any more?

Well, to be fair, his problems with the company stem from fairly recent actions, like Before Watchmen.

Fairness has nothing to do with it. He knew about Watchmen when he got hired. Hell, everyone has known about Watchmen for years. The whole thing started again with the movie. He's either a hypocrite, a liar or both.
dabeast0976

Postby Roadie Brock » Apr 27th, 2012 @ 8:59am

"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Insanityinchaos » Apr 27th, 2012 @ 9:51am

Thanks for the link Brock I enjoyed the interview.
Insanityinchaos

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 27th, 2012 @ 9:58am

dabeast0976 wrote:
SerpentineZERO wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote:
SerpentineZERO wrote:

DC is a big enough entity that, yes, they would pay someone else to finish it just to spite him. Why would you want someone's name on your books that just publicly embarrassed you?

Well, iZombie is creator-owned, but those are all done. It's his run in Fairest that's being shelved.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Next
Forum Statistics