Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 167

Postby Rydog » May 1st, 2012 @ 11:50pm

After a week-long hiatus, we're finally back! I hope you didn't unsubscribe already! :)

Reminder: Don't forget to check out our t-shirt giveaway thread!

Subscribe on iTunes!
Subscribe on Stitcher! (Make sure to use the promo code "GEEKBOX")
Subscribe on Zune Marketplace!
Follow me on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
Send us some email!
Throw us free money if you're so inclined!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 167

Postby LiQuid » May 2nd, 2012 @ 12:03am

Glad it wasn't too much trouble for you guys to sit on your butts and talk for an hour this week, jeez. jklol
LiQuid

Postby McP » May 2nd, 2012 @ 7:30am

Karen, please please please just watch Raiders. Wikipedia will not do it justice. It's one of the best films ever made, in any genre.
McP

Postby LiQuid » May 2nd, 2012 @ 7:42am

Karen's complacency towards just reading the synopsis of a movie on Wikipedia versus actually watching it is vastly more infuriating than all the stupid shit Ryan Higgins has anti'd over the years.
LiQuid

Postby Karen » May 2nd, 2012 @ 8:17am

LiQuid wrote:Karen's complacency towards just reading the synopsis of a movie on Wikipedia versus actually watching it is vastly more infuriating than all the stupid shit Ryan Higgins has anti'd over the years.

Screw you.

How many years has it been that you guys know this about me? That I cannot watch horror/violence/thriller movies of any kind because of my heart will either act up or I will either throw up involuntarily? Blood makes me extremely sick, and surprise jumps sometimes makes me vomit. And also did you not hear about my active nightmares?

Even though I can't watch said movies, at least I try to read up and learn about them.

Fucking deal with it.
THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI

http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
White Dudes Only

Postby Master Higgins » May 2nd, 2012 @ 8:20am

Trust me, I'll always be the worst person on the podcast :(
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Mr_eX » May 2nd, 2012 @ 8:59am

Master Higgins wrote:Trust me, I'll always be the worst person on the podcast :(

Brock is WAY worse than you
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » May 2nd, 2012 @ 11:34am

Higgins' terrible talk about superhero movies and adventure games this episode cements him as the worst person to me.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby BeowolfSchaefer » May 2nd, 2012 @ 11:57am

I read somewhere that Spielberg's desire to make a haunted house movie was what became Poltergeist. Not sure if that was mentioned and I just missed it. Also on the Poltergeist thread, Spielberg wasn't able to be credited as the director because of contractual obligations with ET which was being filmed at the same time even though it seems like he wanted to do it. It sounds like Nolan want's to get away and do different things rather than the superhero stuff so I would be surprised if we saw the same kind of situation.

Higgins is the worst for not being interested in Guild Wars 2. Actually neither was I til the hype from some coworkers convinced me to check it out. The Beta was a ton of fun. They seem to have done a great job of trimming some of the tedium of the usual questing systems.The combat and very large environments also stood out to me.
BeowolfSchaefer

Postby puppybox » May 2nd, 2012 @ 12:47pm

Higgins is right smack in the middle of the geekbox bell curve. Adam is both the best and worst person on the podcast

Speaking of, serious lack of Adam these past few weeks. Whats up? And don't try to tell me he is busy, Rune Factory 4 isn't even out in Japan for months!
puppybox

Postby LiQuid » May 2nd, 2012 @ 1:54pm

Karen wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Karen's complacency towards just reading the synopsis of a movie on Wikipedia versus actually watching it is vastly more infuriating than all the stupid shit Ryan Higgins has anti'd over the years.

Screw you.

How many years has it been that you guys know this about me? That I cannot watch horror/violence/thriller movies of any kind because of my heart will either act up or I will either throw up involuntarily? Blood makes me extremely sick, and surprise jumps sometimes makes me vomit. And also did you not hear about my active nightmares?

Even though I can't watch said movies, at least I try to read up and learn about them.

Fucking deal with it.

LiQuid

Postby Olympia » May 2nd, 2012 @ 2:40pm

Karen wrote:

Screw you.

Fucking deal with it.

izzowned

-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby kenzo » May 2nd, 2012 @ 4:00pm

I think I have to agree with LiQuid. I wouldn't say any one person is "the worst" though - everyone has their own quirks and brings different ish to the table. I think I can handle when Higgins does crazy stuff though - it's usually at least informed by his personal preferences. Karen however, just shuts down and irrationally ignores things at the slightest whiff of something and doesn't even hear people out. I still can't fathom how she hasn't played Ghost Trick yet - that game was made for her, and yet - oh no! Poor doggy! :?
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 2nd, 2012 @ 4:23pm

I don't know where that "the worst" shit came from, but I wasn't implying anything about Karen or anybody else when I said that, just that it's maddening to hear someone talk about an amazing movie that they refuse to watch because of a 2 minute sequence in the middle of it. That said, I don't know what it's like to be Karen Chu and am not trying to tell anybody how to live their life.

And there is nothing overly bloody or gory about Raiders of the Lost Arc, especially if you've seen Temple of Doom. There's no one eating chilled monkey brains, or dudes getting their still-beating hearts ripped out of their chests. It's just a fun adventure movie. Probably the best adventure movie ever made. There's definitely nothing in that movie that would justify skipping it on the basis of a weak heart for violence or jump scares...
LiQuid

Postby Konanda » May 2nd, 2012 @ 4:54pm

Problem with FFXIII story wise is that if you read about the lore it's actually an interesting world it's just that the game focuses on mostly not so interesting characters and assumes that the player either knows about the world or is reading the datalog and later on the lore.

As for mechanics it's actually pretty interesting once you get further in the game, particularly when you get to Gran Pulse. Just going through the main story doesn't offer that much challenge to the combat if you don't care about efficiency and finishing a battle with top scores. However, if you do care than there is as suprising amount of strategy involved with mixing and matching the right paradigms for a situation and such especially when doing the optional Cie'th Stone missions (akin to FFXII's Mark Hunts) which can become quite challenging. Additionally those Cie'th Stone missions are how you unlock the lore about the world that I was talking about.

FFXIII-2 improves on this by offering greater incentive for being efficient at combat in giving greater drops/rewards for finishing a battle with top scores and introducing an additional battle mechanic in the form of Wound Damage. Wound Damage is similar to how in many fighting games the character recieves permanent damage along with recoverable damage. In FFXIII this manifests in the form of Wound Damage as an Max HP debuff until the character either dies and is revived or through special items and Feral Links.* So if you let a battle drag on and on by just doing the auto-battle the whole time (with maybe the occasional paradigm shift) you'll find it a much tougher fight, since you use up more items (that you'll have to buy) and not get the best rewards so it becomes a much less viable strategy and requires more active participation from the player.

Additionally FFXIII-2 is more demanding in general with combat in comparison to FFXIII where that was mostly reserved for the optional fights. Also as Higgins mentioned it's got a sense of humor (particularly with some of the Live Trigger events) and does some neat things with how time travel works.

Overall the problems with FFXIII where greatly exaggerated by a very vocal minority of gamers that post on message boards, most of which have never played it or possess only tangential knowledge about the game. It's not the best in the series but it's far from the worst, overall it's pretty average when compared to the rest of the series. It also has some great music in it, it's main battle theme alone is one of the top 4 of the series.

*kind of like an overdrive for your 3rd party character which is a rotating set of three monsters.

Master Higgins wrote:Trust me, I'll always be the worst person on the podcast :(

Brock has you beat on inciting madness when listening him go on about something. That said I wouldn't say anyone is the worst on the show. Everyone has their strong and weak points just like any other human being.
Last edited by Konanda on May 2nd, 2012 @ 4:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby LiQuid » May 2nd, 2012 @ 4:57pm

God fucking damn it, Konanda.
LiQuid

Postby Konanda » May 2nd, 2012 @ 4:59pm

LiQuid wrote:God fucking damn it, Konanda.

What's up sugar?
Konanda

Postby kenzo » May 2nd, 2012 @ 5:07pm

LiQuid wrote:I don't know where that "the worst" shit came from
Not from you, from these schmucks:
puppybox wrote:Higgins is right smack in the middle of the geekbox bell curve. Adam is both the best and worst person on the podcast
BeowolfSchaefer wrote:Higgins is the worst...
Guillermo_DudeL wrote:Higgins' terrible talk about superhero movies and adventure games this episode cements him as the worst person to me.
Mr_eX wrote:Brock is WAY worse than you
Y'all are terrible, judgmental people. Except you Higgins.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » May 2nd, 2012 @ 5:32pm

For the TES V dlc talk, I wonder if the DLC will have it's quest line be around Dawnstar, could be interesting seeing as aside from a Dark Brotherhood and Daedric Quest there is really nothing that happens there or much of a reason to go there. (Morthal also doesn't have much going on either) It also the closest settlement to Blackreach which is a giant underground Dwemer ruin that is connected to several other Dwemer ruins and infested with Falmer. (snow elves) Which would tie in to the Falmer stuff that people have supposedly been finding when looking through the latest patch.
Konanda

Postby LiQuid » May 2nd, 2012 @ 5:55pm

Dawnstar sucks. I loved all the Giant Bomb talk from around when that game came out and everybody was like "I beat the game but I didn't even visit all the major cities yet!" and the one city they didn't visit was Dawnstar because IT SUCKS!
LiQuid

Postby Konanda » May 2nd, 2012 @ 5:59pm

LiQuid wrote:Dawnstar sucks. I loved all the Giant Bomb talk from around when that game came out and everybody was like "I beat the game but I didn't even visit all the major cities yet!" and the one city they didn't visit was Dawnstar because IT SUCKS!

At least it had the start of that Daedric Quest, Morthal was pretty much bullshit, there is the thing with the ghost but that's it. Such a boring place.
Konanda

Postby Konanda » May 2nd, 2012 @ 6:25pm

Dream talk was interesting. I wonder if anyone on the podcast or on the forums here have ever lucid dreamed? I tried training myself to do it one time but it was somewhat of a passing interest so I don't think it really took effect.

For the uninformed, lucid dreaming is dreaming while being fully aware that you are dreaming. By being aware the dreamer is able to exert some control over the dream and the dream environment and usually the dream is incredibly vivid. It's a quite old concept that has only been recognized in the past couple decades by the psycological researchers as an actual phenomenon and methods devised for trying to achieve lucid dreaming. The most effective being to frequently question whether you are dreaming or not throughout the day (leading to you doing so in your dream), keep a dream journal, doing reality checks throughout the day*, and waking up and than going back to sleep almost immediately for a short nap as it's believed most lucid dreaming happens when you are in that semi-awake state.

Also I've totally had sex dreams myself almost exclusively when I was a teenager though, haven't had one (or at least one I remember) in 3 or 4 years.

*activities that when done in a dream often are more nebulous and distorted, staring at a clock to see if time is progressing at the correct rate, look at a section of text looking away and looking back to see if it is the same, looking at a mirror, checking if you have five fingers on each hand, etc.
Konanda

Postby Olympia » May 2nd, 2012 @ 9:19pm

ryan h, you stepped incorrect in the movie talk, sorry :(

also ryan scott, is your psn handle ryanscottryan?
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby Karen » May 3rd, 2012 @ 12:08am

Olympia wrote:izzowned

Fun fact: Stephen Tobolowsky, who plays Ned, was one of my all-time favorite characters in the movie Sneakers. And Sneakers is one of my favorite/impactful movies - though it's not the best movie of all time, it meant a lot to me. It made me want to study math/computer science and most importantly, it made me want to come to America and have a life here.

For my birthday, an internet friend recorded this from me. I totally cried at the end.
http://www.karenchu.net/storage/misc/sneakers.mp3

So it's funny that you had that gif up :)
THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI

http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
White Dudes Only

Postby LiQuid » May 3rd, 2012 @ 12:10am

I just saw Sneakers for the first time recently. Like within the last couple months. Prior to watching it I had no clue that "phreaks" were a real thing and I find them absolutely fascinating now.

You guys should do a spy/caper themed episode of GJB.
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 3rd, 2012 @ 6:07am

LiQuid wrote:You guys should do a spy/caper themed episode of GJB.

Second. That'd be awesome.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Mr_eX » May 3rd, 2012 @ 6:12am

Higgins was spot on with the Cabin in the Woods/Matrix comparison

Raiders might not be my favorite movie but I would say it's the only movie I think everyone on Earth should see at least once.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby flufflogic » May 3rd, 2012 @ 11:44am

Skyrim's DLC won't have shit on Saint Row the Third's newly announced Enter the Dominatrix expansion. Yup, it's no longer a joke!
flufflogic

Postby fuxthesenerds » May 3rd, 2012 @ 12:30pm

Hey Ryan Scott you don't have to make a nerd voice when you already have a nerd voice. And calling people dumb that feel angst about Aeris dying in FFVII? Uh you like comics. Eat a dick, bitch.

Karen's rant is probably the best part of this show. Having back to back nerd voices arguing about stupid shit? This shit is the worse. I'd rather go on xbox live.
fuxthesenerds

Postby Konanda » May 3rd, 2012 @ 12:44pm

fuxthesenerds wrote:Hey Ryan Scott you don't have to make a nerd voice when you already have a nerd voice. And calling people dumb that feel angst about Aeris dying in FFVII? Uh you like comics. Eat a dick, bitch.

Karen's rant is probably the best part of this show. Having back to back nerd voices arguing about stupid shit? This shit is the worse. I'd rather go on xbox live.

Oh snap, a dude from the comments page on the main site that just registered today purely to whine, haven't seen one of those in a couple weeks.
Konanda

Next
Forum Statistics