Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 179

Postby Rydog » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 12:18am

Ryan Higgins' girlfriend Leann fills in for Karen and Adam on this week's episode to tell us all about their nerdy life together.

Subscribe on iTunes!
Subscribe on Stitcher! (Make sure to use the promo code "GEEKBOX")
Subscribe on Zune Marketplace!
Follow me on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
Send us some email!
Throw us free money if you're so inclined!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 179

Postby Roadie Brock » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 12:58am

Rydog wrote:Ryan Higgins' girlfriend Leann fills in for Karen and Adam on this week's episode to tell us all about their nerdy life together.

I'm definitely going to have to listen to this episode!
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby kenzo » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 2:04am

Wherein we discuss the Hobbit trilogy, literal book-to-movie translations, Naruto nerds, World of Warcraft, Star Wars: The Old Republic’s free-to-play future, old sci-fi movies without the nostalgia glasses, way-too-nerdy Indiana Jones facts, freemium MMOs, Final Fantasy XIV, Final Fantasy Dimensions, mobile games, collector’s editions, nerd hoarders, and the Potter Puppet Pals.
I hope you guys relentlessly mock every single one of these subjects, because otherwise this stands the chance of being the worst episode in Geekbox history.
kenzo

Postby Rydog » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 3:27am

kenzo wrote:
Wherein we discuss the Hobbit trilogy, literal book-to-movie translations, Naruto nerds, World of Warcraft, Star Wars: The Old Republic’s free-to-play future, old sci-fi movies without the nostalgia glasses, way-too-nerdy Indiana Jones facts, freemium MMOs, Final Fantasy XIV, Final Fantasy Dimensions, mobile games, collector’s editions, nerd hoarders, and the Potter Puppet Pals.
I hope you guys relentlessly mock every single one of these subjects, because otherwise this stands the chance of being the worst episode in Geekbox history.

HEY KENZO, guess what musical cues Final Fantasy Dimensions includes? Answer: Every single one that matters.

REAL FINAL FANTASY FOR ONCE, THANK GOD.

;)
Ryan Scott
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby LiQuid » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 5:44am

I don't even want to know what Final Fantasy Dimensions is. It's probably too desperate for even my jaded mind to comprehend.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 6:51am

How a guy who owns a small business in one of the most fragile retail sectors can afford the level of conspicuous consumption Higgins displays on a regular basis is fucking beyond me.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 7:13am

Even though I like it, I can handle shit talking Star Wars since it's the single most overrated film franchise of all time, but I can't abide calling Logan's Run bad. Logan's Run is so damn good.

Probably the MOST 70s sci fi movie in existence. Looking forward to the Gosling reboot, but it won't have the same feel as the OG. That 70s sci fi BGM is sooooo good.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 7:42am

"You know a lot about Short Round!"

:lol:
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 8:51am

And now my avatar just makes me look silly.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Konanda » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 9:46am

LiQuid wrote:I don't even want to know what Final Fantasy Dimensions is. It's probably too desperate for even my jaded mind to comprehend.

It's an episodic RPG for Japanese mobile phones and soon iOS and Android that has a job system similar to FFV. Wikipedia

Rydog wrote:
kenzo wrote:

HEY KENZO, guess what musical cues Final Fantasy Dimensions includes? Answer: Every single one that matters.

;)

Last edited by Konanda on Aug 1st, 2012 @ 9:51am, edited 1 time in total.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 9:51am

LiQuid wrote:How a guy who owns a small business in one of the most fragile retail sectors can afford the level of conspicuous consumption Higgins displays on a regular basis is fucking beyond me.

Honestly, the last few years have been very good at the store, with this lining up to be the best year in the store's history. I'm not gonna retire in 5 years or anything, but I'm paying all my bills, and putting some money aside, as well as having a bit extra to spend. It's the best financial position I've been in my entire life.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 10:04am

I think that means it's time for the dozenth trip to the IMAX to see TDKR!!!!
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 10:08am

LiQuid wrote:I think that means it's time for the dozenth trip to the IMAX to see TDKR!!!!

It's like you've read my mind...
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby karubah » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 10:30am

The problem I had with Logans Run was that viewing it now it has not aged well with its use of matte paintings and cheesy costumes. With regards to older "far out" Sci-fi, than I would recommend watching Barbarella. Saw it as a young teen and Jane Fonda left an impression. :oops:

Listening to Ryan describe his geek room in his apartment reminds me why I got rid of so many of my statues and action figures once I got my own place. Besides weirding out women the stuff tends to alienate friends as well. I think I still have a box or two of Spawn and Matrix figures that need to go and their discussion on the podcast is pushing me to head to the nearest Goodwill store.
karubah

Postby Robobear » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 10:52am

Leann's comments regarding MMOs are spot on. Without an actual end they just linger and get stale... Serialized interactive content anyone?

Could we get a triple date on the podcast at some point? Ryan Scott, April, Ryan Higgins, Leann, Karen and her fella? (Sorry, forgot his name, but know his Star Wars prowess is impressive.)
Robobear

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 11:21am

Higgins needs to learn about Sturgeon's Law.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby seamus2389 » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 12:23pm

Only in anime is 52 episodes in not very far.
seamus2389

Postby kenzo » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 12:41pm

Rydog wrote:HEY KENZO, guess what musical cues Final Fantasy Dimensions includes? Answer: Every single one that matters.

;)
So, even though you covet Nobuo Uematu's music... you don't really care that he had nothing to do with this project? Just so long as the game's music is a pale imitation rather than attempting to do something original and interesting? Gotcha. Enjoy your baby-games.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 12:43pm

seamus2389 wrote:Only in anime is 52 episodes in not very far.
Yep. ONLY in anime.
kenzo

Postby Rydog » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 2:17pm

kenzo wrote:
Rydog wrote:HEY KENZO, guess what musical cues Final Fantasy Dimensions includes? Answer: Every single one that matters.

;)
So, even though you covet Nobuo Uematu's music... you don't really care that he had nothing to do with this project? Just so long as the game's music is a pale imitation rather than attempting to do something original and interesting? Gotcha. Enjoy your baby-games.

Original and interesting can coexist with the property's established audio touchstones. Look at John Ottman, he knew that with Superman Returns -- and he made a better version of the Superman theme than John Williams did, in my opinion. I don't care who's actually doing the music, as long as the music that is supposed to be there is there. But we had this argument already.
Ryan Scott
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 2:30pm

Ugh. No.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby kenzo » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 3:24pm

Rydog wrote:Original and interesting can coexist with the property's established audio touchstones. Look at John Ottman, he knew that with Superman Returns -- and he made a better version of the Superman theme than John Williams did, in my opinion. I don't care who's actually doing the music, as long as the music that is supposed to be there is there. But we had this argument already.
Guillermo_DudeL wrote:Ugh. No.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 4:33pm

karubah wrote:The problem I had with Logans Run was that viewing it now it has not aged well with its use of matte paintings and cheesy costumes.

That's why it has aged well. It's a product of its time. Why would you even want it to look or sound like a modern sci fi movie? It's so distinctly 70s dystopia and it's awesome for it.
LiQuid

Postby Olympia » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 6:45pm

Let's play a game, listen to the podcast, you rage, you lose

post your time
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby Lopsidedown » Aug 1st, 2012 @ 10:49pm

Olympia wrote:Let's play a game, listen to the podcast, you rage, you lose

post your time

5min-ish?

I saw Logan's Run so long ago, but I think it may be worth going back to for Box, alone. "Fish! Plankton! Sea-greens! And protein from the sea!"
Lopsidedown

Postby Fade2Black » Aug 2nd, 2012 @ 4:49pm

Mark your calendars.

Fade2Black

Postby LiQuid » Aug 2nd, 2012 @ 5:02pm

C'mon man...
LiQuid

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Aug 2nd, 2012 @ 5:05pm

I was thinking more Weekend at Burnie's-y.
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 3rd, 2012 @ 8:13am

Is it sleepwalking if you know what your doing and remember doing it? One time in high school I woke up at like 3:00am looked at the clock and for some reason though I was going to be late for school and started getting ready to go. My parents were still up and in the living room for some reason so I went and asked them why they weren't getting ready to leave and they just looked at me like I was crazy. Then when I was getting ready I suddenly realize what I was doing and went back to sleep.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Konanda » Aug 3rd, 2012 @ 2:07pm

Master Higgins wrote:I mean they cut so much stuff out of the Lord of the... Well I didn't say so much from what I understand, have not read the books

:lol: <3
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Next
Forum Statistics