Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 190

Postby Rydog » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 3:59am

We finally get around to talking about that last big Doctor Who episode on this week's Geekbox. Spoilers ahead!

Subscribe on iTunes!
Subscribe on Stitcher! (Make sure to use the promo code "GEEKBOX")
Subscribe on Zune Marketplace!
Follow me on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
Send us some email!
Throw us free money if you're so inclined!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 190

Postby geekahedron » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 5:16am

I still do not understand what's up with the Doctor spoilers in every freaking episode now -- and now in the first ten minutes. A recap of your impressions is one thing, but people who have seen it don't need to hear your synopsis, and people who haven't will just hate you for it. Bad, bad, form, come on guys.
geekahedron

Postby LiQuid » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 6:02am

geekahedron wrote:I still do not understand what's up with the Doctor spoilers in every freaking episode now -- and now in the first ten minutes. A recap of your impressions is one thing, but people who have seen it don't need to hear your synopsis, and people who haven't will just hate you for it. Bad, bad, form, come on guys.

How about if you just watch the episode and not cry about it? It's been weeks since it aired...
LiQuid

Postby geekahedron » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 6:23am

LiQuid wrote:How about if you just watch the episode and not cry about it? It's been weeks since it aired...

That is so far from the point. Many people are relatively new to the show and are catching up on seven years of back episodes. I myself am now caught up, but I was only partway into series six when they started talking about the beginning of series seven. Which was mostly fine, actually, because nothing important was actually spoiled. This weeks' discussion went way over the top for no discernible reason. Like I mentioned above, if people have seen it, we don't need to hear it retold, and we haven't, we don't want to hear it.

It's funny to joke about "spoilers" from something like, I don't know, Back to the Future. But to delve into spoilers for the most recent Doctor Who episode from a few weeks (that is not a significant amout of time) is a different matter entirely. I have friends who are still catching up on the Doctor, and some I'm still trying to get into it. Should I have to choose between introducing my friends to my favorite TV shows or my favorite podcast?
geekahedron

Postby LiQuid » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 6:29am

That's the funny thing about serial media. It happens and people want to talk about it with other people. You can't have an interesting discussion about something without recapping what happened. If you were listening to a podcast that was solely about Dr. Who would you expect them to just "recap their impressions" without outlining what it is they are talking about? The shit aired a month ago. If you're so sensitive about spoilers, don't listen to any podcasts that are talking about the shit. It's not like you weren't warned.
LiQuid

Postby geekahedron » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 6:46am

You can totally have a discussion about something that you watched without giving a five minute summary, and until recently Ryan has been really good about that sort of thing. He would say "spoilers" once or twice an episode in joking reference to something that was twenty years old, not twenty days. If I was still a year behind on Doctor Who, I obviously wouldn't listen to a podcast that was solely about that show -- but this isn't that.
geekahedron

Postby LiQuid » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 6:56am

Sorry but grow up. You're wrong. Ryan's not wrong. You have so many opportunities to not listen if you don't want spoilers without someone shouting SPOILARZ SPOILARZ before the conversation happens.
LiQuid

Postby geekahedron » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 7:30am

Speaking of growing up, plugging your ears and shouting "SHUT UP YOU'RE WRONG" when we're talking about something that is plainly subjective is rather juvenile.

I'm not saying "OMG the spoilers caught me so off guard and now my life is ruined wah wah wah." I'm proffering that the audience of the podcast might intersect the set of people who have not been watching Doctor Who for years, and there maybe shouldn't have to be a hard choice between not listening to the podcast at all or hearing a full summary of the not-quite-three-weeks old episode of one of the fastest-growing (read: lots of new viewers) shows on TV.

I'm not trolling. I have appreciated in the past how the Geekbox cast have avoided spoilers, and was disappointed at the opposite turn of events in recent podcasts, that's all.
geekahedron

Postby LiQuid » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 9:11am

There's no win for you here. The spoilers were plainly broadcast to anyone who's sensitive ears might have been exposed to the awful, awful spoilers. If you personally weren't affected by them than you're crusading for a cause that doesn't exist. If you were, then you need to stop listening to geek podcasts that cover shows you care about until after you watch them. It's very simple and we've both spent more time discussing this than it deserves.
LiQuid

Postby geekahedron » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 10:10am

You keep dragging this on by repeatedly straw-manning a point I haven't been trying to make. In the next breath you make the same point I have -- that it has come to a decision between listening to the podcast and watching the show -- while insinuating that it's somehow the listeners' fault for wanting to enjoy both. I have been opining that we shouldn't have to make that choice.
geekahedron

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 11:02am

I just fast forward when a podcast is talking about something I don't want spoiled.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 11:25am

geekahedron wrote:You keep dragging this on by repeatedly straw-manning a point I haven't been trying to make. In the next breath you make the same point I have -- that it has come to a decision between listening to the podcast and watching the show -- while insinuating that it's somehow the listeners' fault for wanting to enjoy both. I have been opining that we shouldn't have to make that choice.

You don't have to make that choice. You just have to not be butthurt if something gets spoiled for you. We live in the age of the internet where shit can get spoiled the instant it happens if you're not careful. Some guys on a podcast a month after the fact should be free to spoil whatever they want without fear of being chastised by lame asses.

If I'm strawmanning your bullshit then try and explain to me what you're hoping to accomplish here? Are you trying to shame Ryan into going back and re-editing the podcast to remove the offending banter? Are you trying to get them to never spoil anything again in future episodes? It's not going to happen. Vaguely referencing events limits the discussion, whether you think it does or not. And I'm sure the number of people that aren't caught up on Dr. Who and who ignored all the warning signs that the show could be spoiled during the hour long podcast they chose to download and listen to even though they weren't caught up is vastly outnumbered by the people who are caught up and have been waiting for them to talk about that shit for the past month...
LiQuid

Postby darfox8 » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 12:12pm

I haven't read any of this back and forth but for me. As long as they warn a few second before they actually go into spoilers then it's all good. I hate the attitude of "Reservoir Dogs came out a billion years ago" I don't care how old it is just say spoiler warning three seconds before you actually spoil it. I understand people complaining about spoilers can be annoying but to me it's even more annoying when people like Ryan Scott feign butt-hurtness after a spoilers backlash. It's not the end of the world just don't do it next time.

It's funny I'm saying this when our own community cast just put up an episode where we randomly spoiled alot of things with no warning.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby LiQuid » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 12:32pm

With Reservoir Dogs I can see people getting PO'd cause it literally came out of nowhere. In the case of this Doctor Who shit, 1. they have talked about EVERY episode of the show since they started watching it, 2. they have been announcing EVERY week that they were waiting to talk about it, 3. it's in the show notes, and 4. while I haven't listened to the episode yet I'm sure there was at least SOME build up to the discussion and not just an instant blurt out of who all died and what happened... There's normally plenty of time to turn the podcast off once you recognize there is going to be spoilers for something. Just fucking cope with it and keep that bullshit off the forum because literally nobody cares.
LiQuid

Postby puppybox » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 1:55pm

Master Higgins wrote:I just fast forward when a podcast is talking about something I don't want spoiled.

This is what I do as well. Either way, Ryan should stop slacking and give us some time stamps so fast forwarding isn't such a pain
puppybox

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 2:14pm

The movie Jack Kirby was working on was an adaptation of Lord of Light, which happens to be one of my favorite books and I would actually enjoy a movie based on it.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 2:18pm

Snape kills Dumbledore
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 3:43pm

Mr_eX wrote:Snape kills Dumbledore
Bruce Willis was dead all along.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 17th, 2012 @ 3:46pm

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Snape kills Dumbledore
Bruce Willis was dead all along.

Hudson Hawk makes way more sense now.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby TtotheING » Oct 18th, 2012 @ 7:11am

Fitch's annoying mispronunciation aside, here's the rap battle he was talking about. Skip to the 8 minute mark for "the work."

"Can see things no one else can see. Do things no one else can do. "
TtotheING

Postby kenzo » Oct 18th, 2012 @ 10:48pm

kenzo wrote:It's funny you guys mention the Dixon Hill episode of TNG because as I recall, that actually won a lot of awards at the time and was pretty groundbreaking for a sci-fi show.

There actually are a number of Holodeck episodes in TNG where they're just hangin' out and nothing bad happens. However that doesn't end up being a good thing - the one that sticks out in my memory is with Lwaxana Troi (which I guess is a different kind of holodeck-disaster):
Spoiler: show
:o
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 19th, 2012 @ 3:24pm

Just got this email:

Hi Geekbox crew,

I am a man of my word. I said, I would buy you pizza, because of a spoiler free show. 25 dollar donation a couple of weeks ago.

In keeping, with being a man of my word, I said, that I would bail, and give you a one star rating for the continuous spoilers. Here is what I wrote:

"If you like a podcast with movie spoilers, if you like a podcast with video game spoilers, if you like a podcast with tv show spoilers, then this is the podcast for you. I'm done. If they would use common sense, and put the spoilers at the end of the show, or even time stamp them, then is would be doable. They're savvy enough to add a audible commercial during the show. You would think they would be savvy enough on how to handle spoilers. After all they're geeks."

I sorry, but, I must be true to my word.

I really like you guys. I just can't handle the spoilers.

If you fix the issue, drop me a line, and I will re-subscribe, and give you a better rating.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Oct 19th, 2012 @ 3:33pm

Dang. Entitled much?

This guy can't be bothered to go out and actually consume the shit he's anxious over being spoiled (you know, so it won't be spoiled for you, and you can partake in meaningful conversation about that thing), but he expects everyone around him to bend to his needs and demands. Too funny!
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Oct 19th, 2012 @ 3:41pm

Master Higgins wrote:Just got this email:

Hi Geekbox crew,

I am a man of my word. I said, I would buy you pizza, because of a spoiler free show. 25 dollar donation a couple of weeks ago.

In keeping, with being a man of my word, I said, that I would bail, and give you a one star rating for the continuous spoilers. Here is what I wrote:

"If you like a podcast with movie spoilers, if you like a podcast with video game spoilers, if you like a podcast with tv show spoilers, then this is the podcast for you. I'm done. If they would use common sense, and put the spoilers at the end of the show, or even time stamp them, then is would be doable. They're savvy enough to add a audible commercial during the show. You would think they would be savvy enough on how to handle spoilers. After all they're geeks."

I sorry, but, I must be true to my word.

I really like you guys. I just can't handle the spoilers.

If you fix the issue, drop me a line, and I will re-subscribe, and give you a better rating.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the single funniest thing I've read all month and I can't thank you enough for bringing it to me to enjoy Master Higgins.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 19th, 2012 @ 3:49pm

I mean, look. I hate spoilers, too, for stuff I really want to see. But like, let's say on Alltalk, when they start talking Dr Who spoilers, I just fastforward. I really don't get what the big deal is.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Oct 19th, 2012 @ 3:52pm

If you guys start adding spoiler timestamps to this podcast or start putting spoilers at the end of the show I'm going to stop listening and give you a 1 star review on iTunes. I'm not even joking or being LiQuid here. I will do both of those things.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Oct 19th, 2012 @ 4:05pm

Master Higgins wrote:I mean, look. I hate spoilers, too, for stuff I really want to see. But like, let's say on Alltalk, when they start talking Dr Who spoilers, I just fastforward. I really don't get what the big deal is.
It's so cute that you listen to alltalk. Thanks! And thanks for pimping it at the end of your most recent cast too.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 19th, 2012 @ 4:15pm

kenzo wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:I mean, look. I hate spoilers, too, for stuff I really want to see. But like, let's say on Alltalk, when they start talking Dr Who spoilers, I just fastforward. I really don't get what the big deal is.
It's so cute that you listen to alltalk. Thanks! And thanks for pimping it at the end of your most recent cast too.

Hey, you guys do a good job, I listen every week.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Rodney » Oct 19th, 2012 @ 6:17pm

Whenever I would watch an episode of TNG, DS9 or Voyager on TV and it started out on the holodeck before the opening crawl, I already knew it was going to be a good one. I like Fitch's impression of Q being Q in James Bond. That "Nanook of the North" line Vic says to Odo had me cracking up, I watched that fairly recently. I didn't know Adam was such a fan with how he pulled that one out of thin air, I think he out trekkied Higgins there. I don't get why Ryan Scott hates Star Trek and only likes Star Wars.
Rodney

Postby darfox8 » Oct 19th, 2012 @ 7:54pm

Rodney wrote:Whenever I would watch an episode of TNG, DS9 or Voyager on TV and it started out on the holodeck before the opening crawl, I already knew it was going to be a good one. I like Fitch's impression of Q being Q in James Bond. That "Nanook of the North" line Vic says to Odo had me cracking up, I watched that fairly recently. I didn't know Adam was such a fan with how he pulled that one out of thin air, I think he out trekkied Higgins there. I don't get why Ryan Scott hates Star Trek and only likes Star Wars.

My only guess is that Ryan Scott is a baby. Babies like Star Wars over Trek.

The Q thing made be crack up because he followed it up with his Captain Picard. Except he fumbled by not calling him "Mon Capitaine". 99% of the time he addresses Picard it's as that.

I haven't seen that Nanook of the North of the line yet. I'm only in Season 4. Last night I saw three episode and I think all of them were really sad ones. There was the one that Jake looses his dad and you see him through out the years, the one where you discover Gul Dukat's Bijoran Mistress and Daughter, and one about the Jem Hadar trying to break their addiction to the white. So far Worf is completely superfluous... I want him to contribute greatly to non Klingon plotlines.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Next
Forum Statistics