Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 80

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 22nd, 2012 @ 10:01pm

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 80

Postby comicsanddakine » Oct 22nd, 2012 @ 10:18pm

Bryce saying to Higgins "I don't know what your penis looks like!".

Hilarity ensues!!!!
comicsanddakine

Postby kenzo » Oct 22nd, 2012 @ 11:11pm

I have the feeling that you guys are gonna rag on N52Supes, but I dig it. The actual Superman comic blows (except issue 0 and 13 was boss), but I like his portrayal in Action and JL. In action he's doing some soul-searching and figuring out what what a hero should even be and how he should affect the world with his powers. And in JL he's kinda hangin' out in the background as a bunch of inflated egos bicker about him (even though he could murder everyone in the room if he wanted to) because he's trying to figure out how to fit into a team. I have a feeling that over the next year or so, Supes will undergo some character development by gaining some self-confidence and learning how to be a leader/hero and applying that. I think a big failing of the JL and Superman books is simply that both of those books has Superman not being the Superman we know - and if he does indeed grow into that role like I think he will, we'll look back on year1 with N52Supes fondly as his new humble beginnings into something greater.

Or, the stories of a God Among Men could continue to blow, who knows.
kenzo

Postby comicsanddakine » Oct 23rd, 2012 @ 12:02pm

Dope insights on the making of a Supes Kenzo!! Besides, Azzarello and Johns run with Kal-El I havent been as amped as I have been in reading a book centered on the big guy. Like, Spidey (in FF)-- I agree that Supes character does wonders in the background of a team and his legend grows more as all of the more vocal JL act like starry-eyed groupies around him.

kenzo wrote:I have the feeling that you guys are gonna rag on N52Supes, but I dig it. The actual Superman comic blows (except issue 0 and 13 was boss), but I like his portrayal in Action and JL. In action he's doing some soul-searching and figuring out what what a hero should even be and how he should affect the world with his powers. And in JL he's kinda hangin' out in the background as a bunch of inflated egos bicker about him (even though he could murder everyone in the room if he wanted to) because he's trying to figure out how to fit into a team. I have a feeling that over the next year or so, Supes will undergo some character development by gaining some self-confidence and learning how to be a leader/hero and applying that. I think a big failing of the JL and Superman books is simply that both of those books has Superman not being the Superman we know - and if he does indeed grow into that role like I think he will, we'll look back on year1 with N52Supes fondly as his new humble beginnings into something greater.

comicsanddakine

Postby Roadie Brock » Oct 23rd, 2012 @ 9:18pm

kenzo wrote:I have the feeling that you guys are gonna rag on N52Supes, but I dig it. The actual Superman comic blows (except issue 0 and 13 was boss), but I like his portrayal in Action and JL. In action he's doing some soul-searching and figuring out what what a hero should even be and how he should affect the world with his powers. And in JL he's kinda hangin' out in the background as a bunch of inflated egos bicker about him (even though he could murder everyone in the room if he wanted to) because he's trying to figure out how to fit into a team. I have a feeling that over the next year or so, Supes will undergo some character development by gaining some self-confidence and learning how to be a leader/hero and applying that. I think a big failing of the JL and Superman books is simply that both of those books has Superman not being the Superman we know - and if he does indeed grow into that role like I think he will, we'll look back on year1 with N52Supes fondly as his new humble beginnings into something greater.

I'm hopeful for some good Superman titles this year. Morrison off Action is a the best thing for that title right now. A new creative team on the main book is needed, and as for the Scott Snyder/Jim Lee Super title I'm overjoyed. Man of Steel comes out this year and DC better have some good Superman titles to back that up.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Quillon » Nov 9th, 2012 @ 11:36am

I'm not sure how you got through the "worst costume changes" segment without mentioning the white outfits in Hickman's Fantastic Four series. They're godawful.

I was laughing my ass off at the nostalgia for 90s uniforms. I thought the 90s X-Men outfits were terrible, especially the Jim Lee Cyclops and Marvel Girl ones. Of course, I had dropped the X-Men books years earlier - I think Uncanny #230 was my last issue, when I realized I neither remembered nor cared what had happened in the previous 2 years.

(Sorry Toby, I don't think I've ever read a single comic with Gambit in it.)
Quillon

Postby LiQuid » Nov 9th, 2012 @ 11:50am

90s X-Men were MY X-Men and thus the ONLY X-Men and I won't hear otherwise.
LiQuid

Postby Quillon » Nov 14th, 2012 @ 1:44pm

I went to APE this year too and pretty much felt the same as Toby: A lot of vendors are selling stuff that isn't comic books or graphic novels, such as arts & crafts, or artists who are selling their sketchbooks or prints or portfolio books. The last two years I found a lot of great graphic novels at APE - often webcomics vendors selling collections of their webcomics, but not always - but it seemed like the pickings were slimmer this year for new material that was telling stories.

The biggest vendors at APE are Slave Labor, Fantagraphics, Last Gasp and Top Shelf.

Yes, there are a few guys there selling back issues. One guy emphasizes the undergrounds, and the other ones carry graphic novels and some back issues from Vertigo and the non-superhero independents.

There are usually a few vendors selling art supplies or drawing reference materials.

Before I first went to APE in 2010, Ryan told me he hadn't been for a while because a lot of the same guys come each year selling the same stuff, and he wasn't getting much out of it anymore. After this year, I can see what he meant. I might skip it next year.
Quillon

Forum Statistics