Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 192

Postby Rydog » Oct 31st, 2012 @ 12:47am

Big surprise here, this week's episode of the Geekbox is all about Disney and Lucasfilm. Thank goodness for a hopefully-not-terrible future Star Wars film trilogy!

Subscribe on iTunes!
Subscribe on Stitcher! (Make sure to use the promo code "GEEKBOX")
Subscribe on Zune Marketplace!
Follow me on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
Send us some email!
Throw us free money if you're so inclined!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 192

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Oct 31st, 2012 @ 1:12am

"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Oct 31st, 2012 @ 1:38am

In all seriousness I think John Ostrander's Star Wars: Legacy series would be an ideal candidate for being adapted into a new trilogy. It's a new setting hundreds of years in the future but it's still similar in spirit to the original trilogy.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby puppybox » Nov 1st, 2012 @ 7:14pm

Its nice to hear Ryan Scott excited about something. Feels like its been awhile

Count me in on a Kingdom Hearts 3 with Star Wars. Disney, Final Fantasy and Star Wars. Pretty much my childhood right there
puppybox

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 1st, 2012 @ 8:00pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby oof46 » Nov 6th, 2012 @ 1:53pm

oof46

Postby Quillon » Nov 8th, 2012 @ 12:06pm

I can't get too excited about the Star Wars news. The original film was great, Empire was arguably even better, but after the Jabba sequence, Jedi plummeted pretty quickly (and not just due to the Ewoks - all the damned silly-looking aliens were gratuitous, and storywise making Luke and Leia siblings was just plain stupid). Episodes 1, 2 and 3 were basically unwatchable (other than Ewan McGregor's uncanny impersonation of Alec Guinness). And I've never given a damn about any of the novels, games, or whatever. Best case is that Disney releases some fun action flicks. Worst case is that they get caught up in the continuity, which has always been the worst part of Star Wars (because little of it makes any sense) and the films end up being some combination of fanservice and muddled angst.

That said, I predict (as Ryan Scott did in the episode) that Disney will basically ignore the "expanded universe" BS, because the vast majority of people who will go to see new Star Wars films ignore all of that stuff.

On another note, I would totally watch a "Ryan Brothers" animated series.
Quillon

Postby kenzo » Nov 10th, 2012 @ 3:19pm

Higgins is 100% right about the Venture Bros. 100%. Imagine if, instead of making Return of the Jedi a story that revolved around Luke, Leia, Han, and Darth Vader, they made the whole movie about Dengar, Max Rebo, Bossk, Bib Fortuna, and Mon Mothma as the major characters. That's what Venture Brothers season 4 was like. I'm not going to say it wasn't entertaining, because it was. But it was also like, "What's the fucking point of this?" They dove so far out of the realm of what the show was originally supposed to be about, and spent so much time developing completely minor and previously one dimensional characters that they might as well have made a brand new show with brand new characters and not saddled themselves with the "Venture Brothers" name or mythos - because that would have been a lot better than what we got. Because what we got was basically "Tales from the Mos Eisely Cantina" but branded like a full, numbered, feature film.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Nov 10th, 2012 @ 3:37pm

What you proposed would have been better than Return of the Jedi tho.
LiQuid

Forum Statistics