Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 84

Postby Master Higgins » Nov 19th, 2012 @ 11:23pm

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 84

Postby Roadie Brock » Nov 20th, 2012 @ 9:29am

Master Higgins wrote:I read the worst comic I've ever read in my life, and we talk about it.

Of course it was a Marvel book. :P
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby comicsanddakine » Nov 20th, 2012 @ 12:41pm

So the paper was USA Today...
comicsanddakine

Postby DerBonk » Nov 20th, 2012 @ 12:59pm

Nice episode, as always. I'm regretting not picking up a Marvel book for the first time now. Thor sounds like a really cool book. May pick up the trade, if it keeps up.

On the topic of the whole Superman being all Jesusy in the 90s media storm, it never reached our shores (outside of super hero comic readers, who are few and far between, importing US issues is even rarer, esp. at that time I would guess). You can bet that it was not reported on the news, super heroes do not have the best reputation in Germany anyway and few people really care (the impressions being that they are too violent, promote solving problems with force only, are part of American cultural imperialism etc.). From what I can gather now, there was no single issue, but only the trade "Der Tag, an dem Superman starb."
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby Insanityinchaos » Nov 20th, 2012 @ 2:05pm

So I compare a lot of comic single issues to being like a segment on TV between commercial breaks. I just realized I see the thor comic more as a movie trailer. It jumps around and shows you just enough to go hey I want to see that movie.
Insanityinchaos

Postby kenzo » Nov 20th, 2012 @ 2:23pm

Good episode. I'll try to condense my experience of the Death of Superman (hard for a guy like me who likes to be wordy):

I was a little kid when this event happened, and I didn't give two shits about Superman at the time. I as all about Batman, Spiderman, X-Men, and TMNT in '92-'93. I think even as a little kid, I saw him as boring and antiquated. I also rarely bought comics, but the ones I did were stupid/uber-nerd shit like Star Trek. But I know all about what happened because pop culture absolutely lost its shit. I don't really blame Higgins for being 'jaded' as a kid, because TBH that was the prevailing sentiment at the time (it's how I felt and I was in grade school):

This was a big deal not to people like us who were kids at the time, but to old people who grew up maybe reading Superman, or watching the old TV show, it was crazy. For people like my parents, this was a shocking event. My dad grew up reading Golden/Silver age comics, and my parents first date was to go see Superman in theaters, so they love the guy. I remember seeing on the news back then all kinds of stories like the one I posted above. But more than people being jaded, there was also a lot of angry sentiment among the old fossils of the journalism world. This was the same time that now classic shows like the Simpsons and Married with Children were coming under fire for being un-American and undermining family values, and people lost their friggin' minds because killing Superman was like killing the soul of America - everything good and wholesome and virtuous. As a little kid who watched/read a lot of news, all this stuff was fascinating to just sit back and gawk at.
kenzo

Postby Jaebird » Nov 20th, 2012 @ 10:35pm

I read Avengers Assemble #9, digitally (because I couldn't make it to the store this past weekend), and I didn't find it to be as bad as Higgins believed it to be. Neither was it a great, or even good, issue. It was just okay, in my opinion. And the only other Kelly Sue stuff I've read were those two issues of Avenging Spider-Man, which felt on par with this. If I had to complain about something with the issue, it would be the competition between Tony and Bruce. Gambling with the lives of innocents just to see who's more sciencier? What a bunch of douche-bags.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby LiQuid » Nov 20th, 2012 @ 11:23pm

DeConnick has been writing Captain Marvel. I don't like her at all. Can't wait to hear why Higgins hated Assemble so bad. I don't hear anything good about it, but it doesn't sound like worst comic ever material. Also it's a shitty movie tie in comic, are expectations really that high for it?
LiQuid

Postby Jaebird » Nov 21st, 2012 @ 7:24am

I know a lot of people responded positively to it and told DeConnick on her Tumblr blog that they liked it, if not loved it, or, "ZOMG!! Best thing, EVARRR!!"
Jaebird

Postby LiQuid » Nov 21st, 2012 @ 7:30am

These are people that care enough about Kelly Sue DeConnick to go to Kelly Sue DeConnick's blog...
LiQuid

Postby Jaebird » Nov 21st, 2012 @ 7:38am

I follow her, too, and have told her that I simply dug it. Side note, but did you know Neil Gaiman has a Tumblr? Unlike Bendis's blog, he'll post more substance than random comic artwork.
Jaebird

Postby karubah » Nov 21st, 2012 @ 12:29pm

kenzo wrote:Good episode. I'll try to condense my experience of the Death of Superman ...

I had pretty much the same experience during the death of Superman saga. I was a preteen at the time and adults around me really thought that buying that issue would be a serious collectors item. Little did they know that years later they would be lucky to sell it at face value.
karubah

Postby LiQuid » Nov 23rd, 2012 @ 10:50pm

Can't believe there are MULTIPLE people on this podcast that like that lifeless, talentless hack Greg Land. I know art is subjective, but saying that you like Land makes your opinion on sequential art invalidated in my eyes. Any knob with an expensive art set can trace and photo reference and make art looks semi-attractive but Land does it at the expense of being able to tell a story with art which is a big part of what sets comics apart from prose. Take a guy like Quitely (that's QUITE-LEE, not QUIET-LEE, Higgins you fucking ignoramus) a guy whose style I'm really not that into because I don't like my comics to look like I accidentally dumped my oatmeal on them but I still acknowledge that he's a GREAT artist and he has a talent for sequential storytelling that these high-output, commercial hacks like Land who trace their way to meeting deadlines so Marvel can shit out dozens of $3.99 books a month simply don't possess. Imagine a "Nuff Said" issue with Greg Land on art? Yeah, fuck all you people who even tolerate his art. He's awful.
LiQuid

Postby Jaebird » Nov 23rd, 2012 @ 11:23pm

Sorry, but I can't not love this:

Jaebird

Postby LiQuid » Nov 23rd, 2012 @ 11:28pm

Jaebird wrote:Sorry, but I can't not love this:

[img]http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/141986-18293-111121-1-she-hulk_super.jpg[img]

Wrong Greg, bro.
LiQuid

Postby Jaebird » Nov 23rd, 2012 @ 11:33pm

Man... I really feel stupid, now. Did I even get this and the other issue signed by the right guy?! D:

Did I accidentally troll someone?!!
Jaebird

Postby LiQuid » Nov 23rd, 2012 @ 11:37pm

Jaebird wrote:Man... I really feel stupid, now. Did I even get this and the other issue signed by the right guy?! D:

Did I accidentally troll someone?!!

Holy shit! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post pics of your copy or at least find out which Greg's signature is on it and report back! I'm dying right now! :lol:
LiQuid

Postby Jaebird » Nov 23rd, 2012 @ 11:43pm

Oh man... Talk about a false alarm! I nearly had a panic attack.

After Googling around for any site that had the list of guests from January's Wizard World, the only Greg listed was Horn. And then I double-checked my issues, and they definitely have "GH" signed on them:

Jesus H. Christ, I scared myself stupid. Literally.

What is it with Gregs?
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » Nov 23rd, 2012 @ 11:51pm

I really must be losing my mind. Stupid Alzheimer's >_>
Jaebird

Postby LiQuid » Nov 23rd, 2012 @ 11:54pm

Hahahaha, I'm actually very happy for you that you didn't fuck up but at the same time that shit's still MEGA hilarious and I haven't been able to stop laughing for like 20 minutes!
LiQuid

Postby Jaebird » Nov 24th, 2012 @ 12:05am

I'm pretty sure if I did hand Land a Greg Horn cover, he would have politely corrected me while giving me the "Are you fucking kidding me?" look. Speaking of mistakes, when I went to Mike McKone's table, there was a guy sitting there who really did look like him. I was halfway taking out my Avengers Academy issues when he told me he wasn't McKone.
Jaebird

Forum Statistics