Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 198

Postby JJBro1 » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 12:17am

meDotJS wrote:I'm just going to chime in on the spoiler discussion by saying that if you haven't seen/read/played something, it is YOUR duty to remove yourself from the discussion. It's not their duty to avoid spoilers, because all that does is hinder their discussion. If someone happens to start talking about something you haven't seen/read/played yet, then YOU should stop listening. The only thing avoiding spoilers does is hinder any meaningful discussion because you're forced to avoid major chunks of the work of fiction.

I say go for it, spoil at your leisure. I'm sick of listening to a podcast and hearing "we can't really discuss this movie/tv show/game/book because it just came out and we don't want to spoil it." Just talk about it, you're only limiting yourself by avoiding it.

If they give a warning before they spoil it fine. If it's out the blue then that's just wrong to the people that haven't experienced it yet.
JJBro1

Postby JJBro1 » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 12:22am

etherwing wrote:
meDotJS wrote:I'm just going to chime in on the spoiler discussion by saying that if you haven't seen/read/played something, it is YOUR duty to remove yourself from the discussion. It's not their duty to avoid spoilers, because all that does is hinder their discussion. If someone happens to start talking about something you haven't seen/read/played yet, then YOU should stop listening. The only thing avoiding spoilers does is hinder any meaningful discussion because you're forced to avoid major chunks of the work of fiction.

I say go for it, spoil at your leisure. I'm sick of listening to a podcast and hearing "we can't really discuss this movie/tv show/game/book because it just came out and we don't want to spoil it." Just talk about it, you're only limiting yourself by avoiding it.

Yes, this. You're robbing everyone else of a meaningful discussion if you force others to keep silent for fear of spoiling. If I haven't seen something and I know the podcast is discussing the topic, then I'll avoid the episode until I've seen the title in question. And then when I go back to the podcast, I fully expect and want them to spoil the shit because I want to listen to a more insightful, deeper conversation about what I just saw. If you haven't seen/experienced something for months, or years but still expect others to shut up about spoilers, well, it's your own problem, not others. Maybe you shouldn't care, because you sure don't seem that interested in watching/finishing whatever it is you don't want spoiled. Either catch up, or don't listen. It's not really that hard.

So the people that haven't had the time or are working their way through a game/movie/book they deserve to be punished by getting it spoiled just because they "should've" finished it? So I should spoil a classic book to someone reading it for the first time just because it's their problem that they've haven't finished reading when they were supposed to? That's just ruining the experience for them and preventing from having the experience that everyone else had.
JJBro1

Postby darfox8 » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 12:48am

Yep. Just warn us a few seconds before hand. And try not to be so pissy about it.

Remember the rhyme "If they warned, no one mourns; if they didn't, 'Oh no they didint!'"
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby etherwing » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 1:12am

JJBro1 wrote:So the people that haven't had the time or are working their way through a game/movie/book they deserve to be punished by getting it spoiled just because they "should've" finished it? So I should spoil a classic book to someone reading it for the first time just because it's their problem that they've haven't finished reading when they were supposed to? That's just ruining the experience for them and preventing from having the experience that everyone else had.

So what is the statute of limitations here? Should we flag a big spoiler marker before talking about Romeo and Juliet? Spoilers! They both die! The point is, if you're that concerned about getting something spoiled and someone starts talking about it in a podcast, then stop listening until you're through with whatever they're talking about. They're not beholden to live by what you've finished or not.

Of course, I understand that if it's something recent, then yeah, some people can't catch the latest movie or play the latest game in the same week or even a couple of months and spoilers should adequately be marked. But yeah, if they're talking about a classic book, I think they can have a reasonable expectation that their audience either knows what they're talking about, or doesn't care enough to bother at that point.

No one is forcing you to listen to these podcasts. If they start talking about something which you haven't finished and you're afraid they're gonna spoil shit, you can stop listening and if you want, pick it up after you're done with the game/movie/book. Simple as that.
"You're like the square root of 2... irrational!"
-http://etherwing.net
etherwing

Postby JJBro1 » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 1:48am

etherwing wrote:
JJBro1 wrote:So the people that haven't had the time or are working their way through a game/movie/book they deserve to be punished by getting it spoiled just because they "should've" finished it? So I should spoil a classic book to someone reading it for the first time just because it's their problem that they've haven't finished reading when they were supposed to? That's just ruining the experience for them and preventing from having the experience that everyone else had.

So what is the statute of limitations here? Should we flag a big spoiler marker before talking about Romeo and Juliet? Spoilers! They both die! The point is, if you're that concerned about getting something spoiled and someone starts talking about it in a podcast, then stop listening until you're through with whatever they're talking about. They're not beholden to live by what you've finished or not.

Of course, I understand that if it's something recent, then yeah, some people can't catch the latest movie or play the latest game in the same week or even a couple of months and spoilers should adequately be marked. But yeah, if they're talking about a classic book, I think they can have a reasonable expectation that their audience either knows what they're talking about, or doesn't care enough to bother at that point.

No one is forcing you to listen to these podcasts. If they start talking about something which you haven't finished and you're afraid they're gonna spoil shit, you can stop listening and if you want, pick it up after you're done with the game/movie/book. Simple as that.
If you ask me everything should have a spoiler tag. You can't assume that everyone has experienced everything you think they should have. Hell, I still haven't finished watching Lord of the Rings, does that give someone the right say a quick out of context spoiler? As long as you warn me before hand then it's fine, other than that it's being inconsiderate.
JJBro1

Postby LiQuid » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 2:03am

Sam dies.
LiQuid

Postby JJBro1 » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 2:08am

LiQuid wrote:Sam dies.

Jesus Christ dude...
JJBro1

Postby LiQuid » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 2:56am

Haha, I was just fucking with you bro, Frodo dies. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 5:36am

This is my favorite thing LiQuid has done.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby LiQuid » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 6:50am

My art, so oft unappreciated. :(
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 7:06am

I'm fine with spoilers as long as they give a proper warning. Saying "lite spoilers", implying minor spoiler talk, and then dropping spoiler bombs is not cool.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 7:20am

Instead of thinking of spoilers as a negative thing you should consider them a boon. Now you're in the know! It's an exclusive club.
LiQuid

Postby meDotJS » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 9:06am

I think that when someone talks about a movie/show/game that has come out that there should be an assumption of spoiler talk.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby puppybox » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 9:27am

I love spoiler talk on podcasts and I've advocated for it many times in the past. The bombcast this week was the best its been in awhile in my opinion. But spoilers are almost always wasted on the geekbox. Throwing out "Skip 30 seconds - So _______ died, pretty shocking right guys - Spoiler over" isn't interesting discussion. Its incredibly lazy. Rehashing the plot does nothing for your audience. If we've seen it then we already know and if we haven't seen it then we skip it. If you aren't going to have a good discussion around a particular plot point then don't bother
puppybox

Postby kenzo » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 4:59pm

This thread is hilarious.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 5:14pm

JJBro1 wrote:Ironic in this episode with the discussion about spoilers, Ryan Higgins (I think) spoiled the end of skyward sword without warning. I'm tired of people justifying spoiling something because of the time it came out. I don't care if it came out years ago, that does not give you the right to ruin it for me just because I didn't experience it at the time. Also 4 months is long enough to spoil something?! What if I was busy with something else or I was waiting for the game to go on sale? That's just ridiculous. Everything no matter what should be marked with a spoiler. Hell, I just recently found out about you know who died in FFVII a few years ago.

This comment is relevant to your interests:

LiQuid wrote:Holy shit did you just spoiler tag that Ganon was the FINAL BOSS of a ZELDA game???? I'm hoping against hope that you did that ironically for the lulz but I know you and I think that would be giving you too much credit. :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 5:25pm

Ganon IS going to be the final boss of every Zelda game. Frodo IS going to die at the end of every Hobbit movie. These are universal truths and crying about people spoiling them makes you ignorant and a shitty person.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Dec 14th, 2012 @ 6:25pm

etherwing wrote:I don't understand. Star Trek 2 was pretty good, but I definitely don't think it should be number one. It's also pretty dated at this point.
Wut.

Mr_eX wrote:Wrath of Khan is super overrated
You're a retard.
kenzo

Postby jw_6179 » Dec 15th, 2012 @ 7:41pm

It's a pop culture podcast. They're going to discuss recent shows/games/comics/whatever. Enjoy at your own "risk".

Also, Ganon is not the final boss of Zelda 2.
jw_6179

Postby kenzo » Dec 15th, 2012 @ 7:47pm

jw_6179 wrote:Also, Ganon is not the final boss of Zelda 2.
To be fair, they're attempting to revive Ganon, and if you don't beat the final boss of that game (or just die in general)...
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Dec 17th, 2012 @ 1:19am

The VGA and Phantom Pain were kinda glazed over on the podcast. You should look at your own forums for crazy conspiracy theories or more in-depth discussion.
dakazu

Postby deadairis » Dec 21st, 2012 @ 1:23am

LiQuid wrote:
darfox8 wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Enterprise is the best Star Trek series

Says the dude who hasn't seen Deep Space 9. I finally finished it a few weeks ago and it might be my favorite TV series ever. It's definitely up there.

You should watch Babylon 5, it's literally the exact same show but good.

BUT AMAZING
deadairis
The Reimpaler

Postby LiQuid » Dec 21st, 2012 @ 1:38am

None of the rubes here will even humor me by watching B5 by declaring all Trek better.
LiQuid

Postby darfox8 » Dec 21st, 2012 @ 8:37am

I told you, I'm on a trek train. And There ain't no getting off this train I'm on, until the last stop!

For what it's worth, I'd probably watch Baby the 5th before I'd watch any Stargate STDs 1.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Dec 21st, 2012 @ 8:49am

Stargate is a fun pulpy series but you can go through your entire life without watching it and be fine.

Meanwhile I'm on a far away planet watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby kenzo » Dec 25th, 2012 @ 3:43am

Everything Higgins said in this episode about Star Trek was true, and I felt like he was channeling myself when talking to Ryan Scott. I can get and respect that people don't like Star Trek, if they've seen it for themselves and can say it wasn't for them from first hand experience. But there's nothing more infuriating than people like R.S. being dumbasses/assholes and writing the entire thing off without having seen a single thing of it (and sorry for the name calling, but this is what it is). It's absolutely ridiculous and you make yourself look like a jackass and a moron for espousing completely uninformed and ignorant things. Like Higgins said, I wouldn't even ask that people go out and see entire seasons/series in order to make an informed judgement, just hand-pick a few of the best episodes or movies and if your interest isn't peaked by that, then OK. But good lord, man.

/endrant-deepbreaths
kenzo

Postby Omegazero » Jan 1st, 2013 @ 5:36pm

kenzo wrote:...But there's nothing more infuriating than people like R.S. being dumbasses/assholes...

...(and sorry for the name calling, but this is what it is)...

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Wrath of Khan is super overrated
You're a retard.

I guess it is what it is what it is what it is...
Omegazero

Previous
Forum Statistics