Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 200

Postby Rydog » Dec 26th, 2012 @ 2:56am

Sheesh -- 200 episodes! That's insane. I hope you enjoy this extra-long 200th episode Geekbox spectacular, where we've got a couple of special guests, and some nice closure for one of the Geekbox's early recurring segments. Happy holidays, and thanks for getting us this far!

Subscribe on iTunes!
Subscribe on Stitcher! (Make sure to use the promo code "GEEKBOX")
Subscribe on Zune Marketplace!
Follow me on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
Send us some email!
Throw us free money if you're so inclined!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 200

Postby darfox8 » Dec 26th, 2012 @ 12:59pm

This is exciting.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby darfox8 » Dec 26th, 2012 @ 6:58pm

Hoooly shit this episode was amazing levels of awkwardness(mostly in a good way imo) between Brock being an asshole and Adam being a creeper it was like constant bombs dropping.

Andrew's gf seems cool and definitely geeky, I though it was funny how everyone was constantly surprised when she knew something obscure about geekdom. It's like full stop, "Really?" and she's like "Yeah, I played/watched that."
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby harrypowers » Dec 26th, 2012 @ 7:17pm

Wow, 200 episodes. Those guys must be pulling in huge dollars from residuals. I bet they're raking in the dollars, maybe even tens of dollars per month. :P
Congratulations Geekbox!
harrypowers

Postby Master Higgins » Dec 26th, 2012 @ 7:36pm

darfox8 wrote:Hoooly shit this episode was amazing levels of awkwardness(mostly in a good way imo) between Brock being an asshole and Adam being a creeper it was like constant bombs dropping.

Andrew's gf seems cool and definitely geeky, I though it was funny how everyone was constantly surprised when she knew something obscure about geekdom. It's like full stop, "Really?" and she's like "Yeah, I played/watched that."

I'm just surprised other people heard this before, outside my club people.

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby leebenningfield » Dec 26th, 2012 @ 9:18pm

darfox8 wrote:Andrew's gf seems cool and definitely geeky, I though it was funny how everyone was constantly surprised when she knew something obscure about geekdom.

Mary busting out the Tolkien facts was my favorite part of the episode.
leebenningfield

Postby juventuz » Dec 27th, 2012 @ 6:58am

The Sopranos theme song, Woke Up This Morning, was by A3 (aka Alabama 3).

Sorry if it was clarifiedin the podcast, I only got up to that part and now
I'm stuck at work with no way to listen to the podcast.
juventuz

Postby TtotheING » Dec 27th, 2012 @ 7:11am

I was hoping for some more Geekbox alumni(e.g. Alice, Mike, Greg, Justin). Nonetheless, grats on 200 episodes Geekbox!

I'd like to hear an all female Geekbox with Karen, Mary, April, and Higgins's girlfriend(sorry, I forgot her name).
"Can see things no one else can see. Do things no one else can do. "
TtotheING

Postby harrypowers » Dec 27th, 2012 @ 9:26am

I'd like to hear an all female Geekbox with Karen, Mary, April, and Higgins's girlfriend(sorry, I forgot her name).[/quote]
I'd like to hear an episode of Geek Girl Box too. Maybe Jade Kraus will make a guest appearance? :idea:
harrypowers

Postby LiQuid » Dec 27th, 2012 @ 9:34am

Was worth it to have to suffer through the Brock parts in order to get to Karen not putting up with his bullshit! Karen should go on the Comic Conspiracy and tell Brock about how wrong he is all the time!
LiQuid

Postby puppybox » Dec 27th, 2012 @ 10:18am

I'll echo what others have said and say this was an amusingly awkward episode :lol:

Adam was spot on about songs in books. Luckily they are usually in italics making them easy to skip. I can't remember how Hobbit/LOTR did it though. I just finish a book with a number of songs and I skipped every one
puppybox

Postby MegabusterLegends3 » Dec 27th, 2012 @ 2:06pm

Awwww, c'mon, I was really looking forward to some Doctor Who talk, that Special has me SO psyched for this next half-season!
Yoshi rules all. I will shoot all who argue otherwise.
MegabusterLegends3

Postby LiQuid » Dec 27th, 2012 @ 2:09pm

MegabusterLegends3 wrote:Awwww, c'mon, I was really looking forward to some Doctor Who talk, that Special has me SO psyched for this next half-season!

This was recorded on the 21st and even uploaded before the special aired. Regardless of what you see when you close your eyes and dream a happy dream, the Geekbox cast does not have a TARDIS.
LiQuid

Postby Quillon » Dec 28th, 2012 @ 7:31pm

I sympathize with Brock over the others not having read The Lord of the Rings. I agree that it's not an easy book to read (and it is about 1800 pages in mass market paperback), but it gets much easier to read once you get past Rivendell. And more importantly, it's about fifty times better than the movies. There is some argument for it being the most important and/or best work of fiction (at least, English-language fiction) of the 20th century. Given how much influence it's had on many things talked about on The Geekbox, I was pretty astonished too that the others hadn't read it.

(To be fair, I doubt we will ever see a better film adaptation of LotR than Peter Jackson's, unless there's a significant shift in filmmaking ethos in our lifetimes. But the time constraints and the demands of popular cinema really caused it to be dumbed down a lot from the book.)

If you get all the way through Fellowship of the Ring and just can't stand it, then I understand bailing on it (it took me several tries to get past the barrow-wights and that damned Tom Bombadil, but I was completely won over by the trip through Khazad-dum), but I think anyone who is interested in modern western popular fantasy owes it to themselves to give it a serious try.
Quillon

Postby jw_6179 » Dec 29th, 2012 @ 10:27am

I'm surprised to hear Karen's favorite media is television, I always figured it was Wikipedia recaps.
jw_6179

Postby Candle » Dec 29th, 2012 @ 9:17pm

Don't make fun of crazy women who can't watch dog violence and/or gratuitous scenes of violence.
Candle

Postby Karen » Dec 30th, 2012 @ 11:12pm

Candle wrote:Don't make fun of crazy women who can't watch dog violence and/or gratuitous scenes of violence.

...thanks?
THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI

http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
White Dudes Only

Postby darfox8 » Dec 31st, 2012 @ 12:29am

This is actually the first geekbox that I've listened to more than once in a long while.

Also to defend Brock's point alittle bit... it definitely is always better to experience stuff in it's original format. There's always too much lost in the adaptations, sure there's some stuff gained but not alot. I think Karen can relate with the Harry Potter books/movies. Still, Brock was being a poopy head in the way he was expressing this. Brock... were you born this way?
darfox8

Postby Roadie Brock » Dec 31st, 2012 @ 2:45am

darfox8 wrote:This is actually the first geekbox that I've listened to more than once in a long while.

Also to defend Brock's point alittle bit... it definitely is always better to experience stuff in it's original format. There's always too much lost in the adaptations, sure there's some stuff gained but not alot. I think Karen can relate with the Harry Potter books/movies. Still, Brock was being a poopy head in the way he was expressing this. Brock... were you born this way?

Thank you for bringing up the "original format" point. When one media is adapted to another you do lose something for whatever was gained.

As for me being born a shit head. Some would say yes. Some would say no. When it comes to the openness to read or general lack of reading in America I am just disturbed by the whole thing. This is only intensified by the fact that I work with teenagers who won't read anything longer than a text, tweet or Facebook post. So, if I come across as a shit head about it all I can say to that is that this shit head tries to read, and actually enjoys reading.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Konanda » Dec 31st, 2012 @ 9:36am

Hearing Adam's mind blown about crossplay was hilarious although also sad.

Also, speaking of the Geekboxies is there going to be a submission thread again?

Roadie Brock wrote:When it comes to the openness to read or general lack of reading in America I am just disturbed by the whole thing. This is only intensified by the fact that I work with teenagers who won't read anything longer than a text, tweet or Facebook post. So, if I come across as a shit head about it all I can say to that is that this shit head tries to read, and actually enjoys reading.

That's great and all Brock but you are breaking a fairly simple rule, that being correlation does not necessarily imply causation. Just because the other hosts/guests had not read some prominent piece of fantasy fiction does not mean they don't read at all or don't like reading. While it's great to appreciate the classics there are constantly new literature being written and released and maybe not all of it is terribly interesting but there are the odd gems who may in time become classics like The Lord of the Rings.

I mean what's next are you going to get after them for not having read say, Lolita, another highly regarded novel from around the same time, (published 1 year later than Fellowship of the Ring) which has had quite the splash in pop culture to the point that the title is a term used for a sexually precocious young girl. Furthermore being another novel that is difficult to read, although more for a different reason than style which can still be similarly obtuse. (the main character is despicable and pathetic)

Personally I think with The Lord of the Rings if you didn't read them in the child to young adult phase you probably aren't going to read them ever because by that point the number of other things vying for your time (including other books) are more worthwhile than trying to parse through a very dense set of novels, which go into far too much detail on even the smallest of events. As a kid you have more free time and are still figuring out what you like and don't like so tackling The Lord of the Rings isn't as much of an ordeal because you don't know any better and you have less activities/responsibilities to keep you preoccupied.

Anyway, it is really not in the whole spirit of encouraging more people to read to assume people don't read because they haven't read some literature that you believe they should read. Something like trying to establish a bookclub would be more constructive although I must say an idea like that seems out of the scope of the Geekbox podcast. Although it could be fun.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby LiQuid » Dec 31st, 2012 @ 10:30am

ITT: Brock taking the moral high ground for consuming bland, old, nerd fiction. Go read Finnegan's Wake and come back and talk shit.
LiQuid

Postby harrypowers » Dec 31st, 2012 @ 10:13pm

Candle wrote:Don't make fun of crazy women who can't watch dog violence and/or gratuitous scenes of violence.

I'm with that. I certainly don't want horrible images in my mind. A lot of movie violence is created just to make us viewers hate the antagonist. So, the movie can just tell me who to hate, and I'm good with that. :geek:
harrypowers

Postby harrypowers » Dec 31st, 2012 @ 10:37pm

LiQuid wrote:ITT: Brock taking the moral high ground for consuming bland, old, nerd fiction. Go read Finnegan's Wake and come back and talk shit.

Brock, my man, being well read begins by developing the skill to pick and choose the right books for you. There are literally too many books to read, so be glad you're surrounded by those who read different books than you read. You know what I'm getting at, the whole variety is the spice of life or all thing in moderation blah blah.
My book choice for you is "A Prayer for Owen Meany," John Irving. It's modern literature that is easily accessible. It will change your life.
harrypowers

Postby jw_6179 » Jan 1st, 2013 @ 12:09am

LiQuid wrote:ITT: Brock taking the moral high ground for consuming bland, old, nerd fiction. Go read Finnegan's Wake and come back and talk shit.

Joyce? What pop garbage. The only reason you know him is because it was hip to read Ulysses after Modern Library ranked it as the supposed "greatest English-language novel". I'll get back to my third reading of Gravity's Rainbow. I'm sorry you haven't been told to read it by some blog or MTV or whatever.

[/snob]
jw_6179

Postby Omegazero » Jan 1st, 2013 @ 5:45pm

jw_6179 wrote:

Joyce? What pop garbage. The only reason you know him is because it was hip to read Ulysses after Modern Library ranked it as the supposed "greatest English-language novel". I'll get back to my third reading of Gravity's Rainbow. I'm sorry you haven't been told to read it by some blog or MTV or whatever.

[/snob]

This is all humorous
Omegazero

Postby deadairis » Jan 4th, 2013 @ 2:52am

I don't even know who I'm angry with here but I'm pretty sure it's someone.
deadairis
The Reimpaler

Postby kenzo » Jan 7th, 2013 @ 3:59am

You know what, I really liked this episode. There was lots of enthusiasm, people were laughing, double the Fitches friggin' 1000x the fun, lots of topics, I barely even raged while listening, great stuff!

I also have to LOL @ Brock for saying FF1 was hard. I guess if you're a little kid who is totally unaccustomed to RPGs, and that game doesn't even attempt to hold your hand. But that game is super easy, especially since it's super easy to break it. It's actually amazing how broken that game is.

Ryan's top-whatever lists of each year are totally whack, but I can absolutely respect them. Especially since if I did the same thing, I'd probably get drawn and quartered.
kenzo

Postby Roadie Brock » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 12:29am

harrypowers wrote:

Brock, my man, being well read begins by developing the skill to pick and choose the right books for you. There are literally too many books to read, so be glad you're surrounded by those who read different books than you read. You know what I'm getting at, the whole variety is the spice of life or all thing in moderation blah blah.
My book choice for you is "A Prayer for Owen Meany," John Irving. It's modern literature that is easily accessible. It will change your life.

John Irving is an amazing author. I've read "World According to Garp", "Cider House Rules", "A Door In the Floor", and "Until I Find You". All really great books. Tough reads at times. "A Prayer for Owen Meany" is on my list of books to read.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Forum Statistics