Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 90

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 8th, 2013 @ 12:06am

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Re: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 90

Postby LiQuid » Jan 8th, 2013 @ 2:38am

I'm really glad I stopped watching GL. I would NOT have been able to handle that shit, like for real.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 8th, 2013 @ 3:21am

Wut. Higgins, why do you hate fun? Steam Lantern was awesome.
kenzo

Postby Jaebird » Jan 8th, 2013 @ 3:54pm

Despite missing the Green Lantern episode, I did manage to catch the Amethyst short. Why couldn't that be the comic?
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby darfox8 » Jan 8th, 2013 @ 4:31pm

I like all of Higgns' Star Trek references.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby LiQuid » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 6:00am

I went and sought out the sales chart articles Higgins mentioned:

http://comicsbeat.com/dc-comics-month-t ... ober-2012/
http://comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-to-m ... ober-2012/

And yeah, the dude that does the DC writes ups is a little snarky but Higgins of course severely overreacted. The guy has every right to be a doomsayer with as badly as a lot of DC's sales drop off. They barely have any books that can even manage to stay level, much less make any kind of positive climb, outside of event tie ins (I now see why DC was so keen on that bad Night of the Owls crossover. It basically boosted their Bat-family sales across the board by ~25%). A lot of the mid-low tier DC titles are barely doing 1/3rd of some of what I consider downright bad titles from Marvel.

I'm really glad that as a fan I can detach myself from that shit and just read what I like from any company and not have to beat my chest like a fanboy.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 6:50am

Holy shit @ your guys' sales numbers... What did you do to ostracize Marvel readers from your shop?
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 6:57am

LiQuid wrote:Holy shit @ your guys' sales numbers... What did you do to ostracize Marvel readers from your shop?
Have you been listening to this podcast or years or not? Seems like a question that answers itself.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 7:02am

I understand they are all fanboys but I honestly bought all the claims to neutrality. Higgins claims that he has no problem selling Marvel comics to Marvel readers, and I believe that, but why are there no Marvel readers in his store? I think I was underestimating how much the fanboyism on display from the owner and employees permeates the store itself. Maybe it's because there are only 2 options for comics here in MKE but I don't see that kind of divisive, fanboy shit in either of the shops I go to.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 7:10am

Way to oversell the Amethyst short guys.

The current comic is better than this.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 7:29am

LiQuid wrote:Way to oversell the Amethyst short guys.
They have routinely oversold every single DC short so far. At best, they are mildly amusing, but nowhere deserving the praise they get.

Also, I think that short is done by real anime dudes.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 9:12am

LiQuid wrote:Holy shit @ your guys' sales numbers... What did you do to ostracize Marvel readers from your shop?

In general, and I've been told this by our regional rep at Diamond, Bay Area stores tend to skew heavier to DC than Marvel, so we're not alone in this. If you're talking about tpbs, Marvel trades have never sold well, anywhere.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 9:13am

Captain N! Sailor Moon!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 9:30am

Master Higgins wrote:

In general, and I've been told this by our regional rep at Diamond, Bay Area stores tend to skew heavier to DC than Marvel, so we're not alone in this. If you're talking about tpbs, Marvel trades have never sold well, anywhere.

Hmm, it might be something to do with DC comics being for hipsters. Bay area is full of hipsters.
LiQuid

Postby comicsanddakine » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 2:14pm

The only way the comic could be better than this is if Amethyst gets tittie-effed. If so, please lmk so I can add it to my pull-list.
comicsanddakine

Postby kenzo » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 5:29pm

comicsanddakine wrote:The only way the comic could be better than this is if Amethyst gets tittie-effed. If so, please lmk so I can add it to my pull-list.

Haha, no.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 5:39pm

Omar pulls Tarot, confirmed.
LiQuid

Postby rjmontie » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 12:56pm

So, as much as I hate to be the dude that complains about a free podcast, is there any way Omar can tone down his reverse racism and sexist shit? It can get pretty damn grating to hear him refer to every girl as a bitch and say "whities" god only knows how many times over the course of the show.

I'm a latin dude that has been known to love the ladies and be a lil misogynistic from time to time, but his fraternity bro antics tend to outshine what are usually worthwhile thoughts. I actually like the fact that there's a different voice on the cast, but I wish it wasn't drown out by the locker room type bullshit.
rjmontie

Postby LiQuid » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 12:59pm

I vote for the opposite of everything rjmontie just said. Omar's the closest thing to a dudebro I'm ever going to get on a comic podcast. Don't let the h8rs get you down bro!
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 3:27pm

Omar is only slightly edged out of "best guy on a Geekbox-branded podcast" by Toby. If you think he's dumb/lame, you need to get your priorities and shit in life examined. Also...

rjmontie wrote:reverse racism
LOLOLOLOLOL
kenzo

Postby rjmontie » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 6:41pm

Didn't say he wasn't a good guy or dumb/lame. I actually complimented him on having a voice that was different than the rest of the cast. What I did mention was racism and the constant bitch comments.

Disagree, nothing wrong with that. Just don't be a bitch about it :)
rjmontie

Postby kenzo » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 6:52pm

There's a big difference between misogyny and what Omar does, which is just being a horn-dog. Also, LOL @ the entire concept of 'reverse racism'.
kenzo

Postby rjmontie » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 7:27pm

Feeling it's OK to call women bitches has nothing to do with being horny. Wanting to stick your dick in something does mean you're a horny - See the difference? It's not the liking of tits, ass, and women in general that's the problem...it's the term bitch constantly being thrown around even when referring to mundane things like costumes or characters.

Reverse racism is the same concept as calling women bitches. "White people are already in the majority so we can call them bullshit names like whitey or cracka." It's justifying a derogatory term due to being horny or a minority. Referring to a whole part of society by a bullshit name that is usually used to degrade them is just fucked up.

I am not saying that Omar is either a racist or misogynistic, but the shit he says constantly does make it seem like both would be correct.
rjmontie

Postby rjmontie » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 7:39pm

^^^^Also, this shit got way too serious. It was a request to tone down, not an attack on him or a reason for me to get on a soapbox.
rjmontie

Postby LiQuid » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 7:42pm

Omar has mad respect for the ladies. Ironically calling chicks bitches is like black people using the word "nigga," it's a term of endearment.

And fuck off "request to tone down." You want people to not be themselves because you're getting offended and that shit offends me. YOU need to tone it down. If I told you to stop being so damn offended about trivial bullshit would you pay me heed? I doubt it.
LiQuid

Postby rjmontie » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 8:06pm

It's not the same. A woman calling women bitches would be the same. Loving something doesn't give you an excuse to shit on it. I'd love to hear a gal on the show and see if Omar has the same loose use of bitch with her. Don't make excuses for him that he doesn't need.

I never said offended, I love a good dick, sexual, racist, pedophile, or dead baby joke. But, I've donated to these podcasts and followed them from the beginning. I'd like for them to continue being good. So yea, I have every right to say something about a product I support. So please wash Omar's ball smell off your chin before you come back at me with that bullshit. :)
rjmontie

Postby LiQuid » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 8:12pm

Shit you're clearly more entitled to request a change in a participants behavior than I am to defend his right to not listen to you. I apologize. How much do I have to donate to get my say in the matter back?
LiQuid

Postby rjmontie » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 8:19pm

Good come back bro...have fun.
rjmontie

Postby kenzo » Jan 12th, 2013 @ 8:58pm

rjmontie wrote:So yea, I have every right to say something about a product I support.
Everyone has a right to say what they want, you don't have to qualify it. But saying it like this makes it sound like you're entitled by some other reason than just natural human rights, and that's retarded. You don't 'support' a 'product'. You listen to a free podcast that would exist whether you listen to it or not.
kenzo

Postby crimson8199 » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 11:00pm

Ah, I've missed forum wars. ... continue.

Also, what happened to Joseph Gordon-Levitt being Batman rumor? I think my vote for Batman would be Tahmoh Penikett and Harry Lennix as Cyborg (going with a Dollhouse reunion). Maybe Bradly Cooper or Logan Marshall-Green as Aquaman.
crimson8199

Next
Forum Statistics