Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby Rydog » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 3:45am

This week's episode of the Geekbox is extra-long, clocking in at over two hours. You're welcome and/or we're so sorry, as applicable.

Subscribe on iTunes!
Subscribe on Stitcher! (Make sure to use the promo code "GEEKBOX")
Subscribe on Zune Marketplace!
Follow me on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
Send us some email!
Throw us free money if you're so inclined!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby DarthEnder » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 6:02am

The Harry Turtledove series you guys were talking about is Alternate Generals.

And it's not really a "What if Hitler won WWII?" it's more of a "What if aliens invaded Earth during WWII and the Axis and Allies had to team up to fight the aliens?"
DarthEnder
User avatar
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Apr 27th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: NinjaPirate HQ

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby Adam Fitch » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 12:49pm

DarthEnder wrote:The Harry Turtledove series you guys were talking about is Alternate Generals.

And it's not really a "What if Hitler won WWII?" it's more of a "What if aliens invaded Earth during WWII and the Axis and Allies had to team up to fight the aliens?"


Isn't that kind of the plot to Strike Witches?
Adam Fitch
The Evil Twin
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Dec 27th, 2010 @ 10:42am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby LiQuid » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 1:48pm

Anybody got a time stamp for when they stop sucking dicks on the air in this episode? Otherwise I'm just skipping the whole fucking thing. Ridiculous.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 1:55pm

LiQuid wrote:Anybody got a time stamp for when they stop sucking dicks on the air in this episode? Otherwise I'm just skipping the whole fucking thing. Ridiculous.


-00:00:00, episode 1.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby LiQuid » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 4:47pm

ADAM FITCH WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT THE PERSONA GAMES BEING A TIME SINK WHEN YOU MANAGED TO PLAY MOTHERFUCKING ZELDA FOR 100 HOURS????

Seriously dude, what the literal fuck? Go play Persona 3 or 4 they are right up your alley. All kinds of weeaboo fanservice and inspiration from tons of wacky fucking world religions, demonology and shit. 100 hours of playing a Persona game will fly by compared to 100 hours of boring ass babygame Zelda. You're always meeting and interacting with new, crazy fucking characters and discovering new demons and shit to represent you in battle. As someone who actively wants nearly everything Japan has ever done to be expunged from the Earth's history, I still fucking love Persona games. It's fucking ridiculous that YOU of all people hasn't ever played them.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby leebenningfield » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 5:27pm

Is Ryan's #1 game of 1993 a 3-way tie between Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, and Gabriel Knight?
leebenningfield
User avatar
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Feb 26th, 2010 @ 3:53pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby kenzo » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 5:38pm

Adam Fitch wrote:Isn't that kind of the plot to Strike Witches?
LOL - it is. And I hate myself for knowing this. You should hate yourself for knowing this as well.

LiQuid wrote:ADAM FITCH WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT THE PERSONA GAMES BEING A TIME SINK WHEN YOU MANAGED TO PLAY MOTHERFUCKING ZELDA FOR 100 HOURS????
Because if he plays Zelda at that pace, he will never finish a single Persona game because it'll take him 450 hours to do so (I have been slowly playing Persona 3 - I haven't even gotten to the Persona 3 FES prologue/true ending shit yet, and my save file is >120 hrs long).

Also, I would seriously say to Fitch that he doesn't play Persona at all, especially not 3 and 4. Because:
1.) The games are hard (unless you're playing on easy) and you get one-shot killed all the time. That shit gets mad-annoying, especially when you've forgotten to save after 4-5 hours of playing.
2.) Because knowing Adam's completionist tendencies, Persona (especially 3&4) will drive him mad because you literally cannot do everything because there isn't enough time in the game's world for you to do every single thing (unless you follow a guide to perfectly budget every single second you play the game).
3.) He can just watch the Persona 4 anime and that'll be good enough/less of a time sink.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26705
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby puppybox » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 7:32pm

Adam shouldn't be playing anything until Rune Factory 4 is announced for North America
puppybox
User avatar
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Apr 21st, 2011 @ 9:12am
Location: A sunny hammock

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby Konanda » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 8:47pm

kenzo wrote:
LiQuid wrote:ADAM FITCH WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT THE PERSONA GAMES BEING A TIME SINK WHEN YOU MANAGED TO PLAY MOTHERFUCKING ZELDA FOR 100 HOURS????
Because if he plays Zelda at that pace, he will never finish a single Persona game because it'll take him 450 hours to do so (I have been slowly playing Persona 3 - I haven't even gotten to the Persona 3 FES prologue/true ending shit yet, and my save file is >120 hrs long).

Also, I would seriously say to Fitch that he doesn't play Persona at all, especially not 3 and 4. Because:
1.) The games are hard (unless you're playing on easy) and you get one-shot killed all the time. That shit gets mad-annoying, especially when you've forgotten to save after 4-5 hours of playing.
2.) Because knowing Adam's completionist tendencies, Persona (especially 3&4) will drive him mad because you literally cannot do everything because there isn't enough time in the game's world for you to do every single thing (unless you follow a guide to perfectly budget every single second you play the game).
3.) He can just watch the Persona 4 anime and that'll be good enough/less of a time sink.


1) With the exception of The Answer from P3:FES and P3P the games are only really hard at the beginning, after about getting 20% through or so. (around 15 to 25 hours) Also don't use a persona weak to Light or Dark if there are guys that cast it (although really you should never use a persona weak to anything dudes are casting in battle if you can help it) and save before going in to a dungeon and before a boss or when you are getting too low on SPs you should go back and recover/save. That last bit is harder to do in Persona 3 since when your party members get tired and you return to the central area they will bail on you, although P3P turned down how fast they got tired to the point where after the early game it really never becomes an issue. (and well you shouldn't really keep fighting if they are tired since they start screwing up bad, same with your character although you may want to get him/her sick so you can get the courage boost from the medicine the crazy teacher gives at school)

That said you really should just be beating a dungeon (in P4's case) or clearing a set of floors in Tartarus to w/e the next boss is, (in P3) in a single night. Especially after the early game since it's pretty easy to do so.

I will agree though that The Answer is ridiculously hard and I would not recommend playing through it. It does wrap up and explain some stuff from the end of P3 but it's pretty much just a dungeon crawl with story bits intermingled and while Aigis gains the ability to summon any persona she doesn't have a compendium so you are really just fusing what you find together to keep up in levels. For it I would just recommend watching some videos of the story bits on Youtube if you are just interested in what actually happens after the events of The Journey.


2) Time constraints on P3 are lessened in P3:FES and P3P, constraints in P4 are not as crazy although still high up there. Also on the New Game+ the time constraints are significantly less because you don't have to worry about building the stat requirements (either maxed them or have almost maxed them) so you can pass whatever checks are required in a Social Link. Futhermore while your level doesn't carry over your Persona Compendium and it's discounts, along with having max Persona slots and your money and any max social link items (Ultimate Persona of w/e Arcana fusing) carry over as well so it makes the game quicker and gives a substantial amount of free time to get your Social Linking on when you don't have to worry about studying or reading books so that you can be a more understanding person and such.

Oh and Persona 3 makes it even easier since your equipment also carries over so you can already have awesome gear making the beginning way easier.


3)P4 anime isn't as good as the game (although it's still a great show) and it's ending is not that great/is disjointed, which is probably because they decided to make the True Ending a seperate episode to be released with the last Blu-ray. However unlike the game they make it way more obvious something weird is up with the way it end, which leaves it with a bad cliffhanger. Also several of the Social Links are merely just glossed over like how a two parter just speeds through 3 of the social links, although really the actual social links themselves are only shown in the second episode of that two parter since the first episode is just from the perspective of other characters (mostly Nanako) and not Yu himself.
Edit: Although the fight scenes are really badass in the anime, to the point where the characters are seem really OP compared to the game.
Last edited by Konanda on Jan 9th, 2013 @ 9:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda
User avatar
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 3:52pm
Location: Midwestern Ontario, Canada

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby harrypowers » Jan 9th, 2013 @ 8:52pm

Happy belated birthday Adam.
harrypowers
User avatar
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2010 @ 7:54am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby karubah » Jan 10th, 2013 @ 11:37am

What Konanda said. *thumbs up*

I played through Persona 3 on normal and that took 110 hours without trying to do a lot of the sidequest stuff or maxing out every social link. I quit playing Devil Survivor after about 110 hours and still had probably 20 or 30 hours to go based on what I saw later on a guide.

I am playing through Persona 4 Golden on Vita on very easy just to see how easy a Shin Megami Tensei game can get and it still has moments where the characters are one shot killed or do not feel powerful enough against regular enemies. Right now I am at 52 hours of gameplay and can see the game going on for at least another 15 hours for this first playthrough. Once I go back for save game+ I am going to do what Konanda mentioned of maxing out the social links.

Adam, I think struck upon a big reason I at least stopped going to arcades in that there were too many people with attitudes(people who wanted to fight you for playing a particular arcade machine), hustlers, and gangs who hang out in arcades. Besides the rise in processing power of home consoles I would blame this for the fall of arcades in the U.S.

Ryan may not have liked that the episode ran longer than most, but I liked that the cast stayed on topic and talked through everything. I mean if you just consider how they were able to stay on topic, not interrupt each other, and not spend excessive amounts of time joking about each others' idiosyncrasies, then this was one of the best episodes ever. Oh and I liked that the guest on this week's show actually talked. Seems like most of them just introduce themselves and then vanish from the show.
karubah
User avatar
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Jul 17th, 2012 @ 5:42am
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby jesseewiak » Jan 10th, 2013 @ 3:19pm

There have been reasonable reactions to Django Unchained about race beyond Spike Lee's tweet. For example - here - http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood ... ce-in-2013. Also, you can personally think it's not that great a movie.

Second, with the Oscar nominations being out, I want to make odds on what movies the Geekboxers will complain most next week about being nominated instead of The Avengers/DKR/Skyfall/etc.

1. Armour - 1:5
2. Beasts of the Southern Wild - 1:2
3. Silver Linings Playbook - 3:1
4. Life of Pi - 5:1
5. Zero Dark Thirty - 10:1
6. Lincoln - 25:1
7. Argo - 25:1
8. Les Miserables - 30:1
9. Django Unchained - 100:1
jesseewiak
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Jan 13th, 2012 @ 2:07pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby LiQuid » Jan 10th, 2013 @ 3:51pm

The fact that Premium Rush didn't get nominated is a crime against cinema as an art form.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 10th, 2013 @ 10:21pm

Never heard of:
1. Armour - 1:5
2. Beasts of the Southern Wild - 1:2
3. Silver Lining Playbook - 3:1

No interest in seeing:
4. Life of Pi - 5:1
5. Zero Dark Thirty - 10:1
6. Lincoln - 25:1
8. Les Miserables - 30:1

Want to see:
7. Argo - 25:1

Saw, loved:
9. Django Unchained - 100:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby Stefan » Jan 11th, 2013 @ 11:58am

I don't buy Michael Sheen was trying to do Bowie in Tron Legacy. He's made his name by doing absolutely uncanny impersonations of real life figures - Tony Blair, Kenneth Williams, Brian Clough, David Frost. If he'd wanted to do Bowie it would have been indistinguishable from the actual Bowie, and to English ears, its nowhere near.
Stefan
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Feb 24th, 2012 @ 12:59am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby totoro » Jan 11th, 2013 @ 1:32pm

Stefan wrote:I don't buy Michael Sheen was trying to do Bowie in Tron Legacy. He's made his name by doing absolutely uncanny impersonations of real life figures - Tony Blair, Kenneth Williams, Brian Clough, David Frost. If he'd wanted to do Bowie it would have been indistinguishable from the actual Bowie, and to English ears, its nowhere near.


He wasn't trying to do an impression of David Bowie, but Michael Sheen has stated in interviews that the way that character looks and acts is a combination of several different inspirations one of which is David Bowie.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro
User avatar
 
Posts: 2225
Joined: Dec 28th, 2010 @ 10:32am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby Stefan » Jan 11th, 2013 @ 1:46pm

totoro wrote:
Stefan wrote:I don't buy Michael Sheen was trying to do Bowie in Tron Legacy. He's made his name by doing absolutely uncanny impersonations of real life figures - Tony Blair, Kenneth Williams, Brian Clough, David Frost. If he'd wanted to do Bowie it would have been indistinguishable from the actual Bowie, and to English ears, its nowhere near.


He wasn't trying to do an impression of David Bowie, but Michael Sheen has stated in interviews that the way that character looks and acts is a combination of several different inspirations one of which is David Bowie.


Sure, I can go along with that, there's certainly a bit of Bowie in there. Just saying that, being a fan of the guy, I know how well he can nail the voices/mannerisms of people when he's actually trying to "do" someone.
Stefan
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Feb 24th, 2012 @ 12:59am

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby Konanda » Jan 15th, 2013 @ 7:23pm

One of Adam's big reasons for getting a Wii U was to look at porn. For some reason this does not surprise me coming from him, same for his not having a PC.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda
User avatar
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 3:52pm
Location: Midwestern Ontario, Canada

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 7:46am

Someone needs to teach Adam how to use the internet
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 202

Postby Olympia » Feb 28th, 2013 @ 4:50pm

nevermind
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia
User avatar
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Aug 26th, 2010 @ 3:18am
Location: San Jose, CA

Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron