Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comedy Button Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Layvee » Apr 29th, 2013 @ 5:48am

lately there are so many inventions
Layvee

Postby puppybox » May 8th, 2013 @ 11:32am

I was listening to some old GFW episodes and heard that KindGalaxy wrote the infamous Yaddle rap that Shawn sang. Hats off to you sir!

Shawn was teasing on neogaf that he wants to record some more episodes after his vacation. I sincerely hope that happens. You better start making room on the website Ryan!
puppybox

Postby kenzo » May 8th, 2013 @ 1:25pm

puppybox wrote:I was listening to some old GFW episodes and heard that KindGalaxy wrote the infamous Yaddle rap that Shawn sang. Hats off to you sir!
This revelation is the least surprising thing ever to me.
kenzo

Postby chronokinetic » May 18th, 2013 @ 1:46am

Love the energy in this episode. And Anthony you can still learn programming its really not hard. Use udacity, the trick is if one place is hard to understand, keep googling for others.
chronokinetic

Postby LiQuid » May 18th, 2013 @ 1:55am

I don't even have a general idea behind the theory of programming. It literally boggles my mind. I've always been curious to try but it seems like fucking sorcery to me that lines of nonsensical code can turn into something like a video game.
LiQuid

Postby chronokinetic » May 23rd, 2013 @ 12:59am

LiQuid wrote:I don't even have a general idea behind the theory of programming. It literally boggles my mind. I've always been curious to try but it seems like fucking sorcery to me that lines of nonsensical code can turn into something like a video game.

The general idea behind the theory of programming is writing instructions for a computer to do what it does and display stuff. It's actually a lot like when Ryan Scott says, hashtags, brackets. (The language is HTML, btw) Code can appear nonsensical even to programmers; they find it hard reading other people's code, because they weren't the ones who wrote it. It's like taking the time to skim over a 40 page essay someone else wrote because reading the first page won't give you the big picture, and only afterwards you go "oooh", but then again, you have to read 40 pages of something.

"Code" for a video game is not the graphics or explosions you see, Graphics Designers handle that. They can make it look cooler or bigger or different colors. Coders make the logic behind that, they build WHEN this explodes, which events trigger it, etc. which I assume would get boring. They have a prescribed logic to follow, most determined by the Game Designer, and they write "code" for the computer to "run". They look at screens and screens of text and sit in front of a computer, which is what I assume Anthony does all day too.

If printed out on paper, all the code that goes into one game I could say takes up 1000 pages (if not more, I'm not sure). But also remember that a lot of common code is re-used, and hardly any code is written from scratch. It's like having to write a 1000 page paper, but you can re-use anything you have written word for word, anything other people have written, and put them where it's necessary and voila.

Good thing about programming is that once you learn to program in one language, you can easily learn to program in another. It's like knowing English and trying to learn Greek, but luckily, there are only 10 words in the English language, and 10 words in Greek. How you use those words and combine them into computer logic follows through the same.

To Anthony reading this or anyone who wants to learn programming, like I said, a lot of easy tutorials are on the internet. When you want to make webpages and make things look EXACTLY as you want on a website, learn HTML. This could take you a few weekends or two when you follow tutorials. If you want to learn to program game explosions, work for Blizzard, or make android apps, learn Java or C++. This could take a summer or two. Programming is a growing industry, nobody is too stupid to start or too noob to learn. Start here: http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0 :)

As a listener and avid fan, I've been secretly rooting for Anthony to learn programming or something, and one day pack his bags, come back with a PhD in Plant Science or some shit, get pussy and do something crazy along those lines. It would make me so happy.
chronokinetic

Postby Creep » May 24th, 2013 @ 8:56am

I wonder when the next Alcoholocaust episode is. I'm not sure how widely this stuff is circulated, but I was thinking about sending a mason jar packed full of moonshine soaked maraschino cherries.
Creep

Postby chronokinetic » May 26th, 2013 @ 10:46pm

I cried my balls off this week...
chronokinetic

Postby harrypowers » May 31st, 2013 @ 7:01pm

Fatty Arbuckle, aborted babies, and a dead woman. How Avant-garde. :roll:
harrypowers

Postby TORPEDOJESUS » Jun 4th, 2013 @ 7:33pm

I haven't enjoyed the past 10 or so episodes, they're kind of depressing and unfunny. Whatever though, it'll get better in a few episodes.
penises.
TORPEDOJESUS

Postby chronokinetic » Jun 5th, 2013 @ 12:22am

Yeah i agree, they have been depressing.

oh, btw here's wat i think the guys look like (I've seen their pics, but I'll try to be as honest as I can and think back to before I saw them):

Ryan Scott (easiest one) - slouching skinny man with circle glasses and receding hairline. Like the kind of hairline with a protrusion in the middle and the sides bald. Ryan if you're
reading this: Oh boy!
chronokinetic

Postby chronokinetic » Jun 5th, 2013 @ 12:25am

Max: 5'6", definitely not 6'2". Your typical white guy anime nerd and has yellow fever and possibly an asian girlfriend. Wears rectangular sunglasses, reads comic books on free time. Has a job related to Manga and games, probably at low end comic book store, slowly improving the store in his vain attempt.

Anthony: a fucking good guy, fit and average builds. Has a stubble that he wears as a five o'clock stubble all the time. One of those good looking assholes who have no idea how good looking he is and gets ladies man. Wears dress shirts. I Generally happy go lucky and is only complaining about his depressed self just to gain more sympathy than he has and plays down his good looks. Judging from his wishes of getting a phd, he has secret potential to just quit his job one day, go and study some palentology, archeology, environmental science, or engineering. Comes back happy, having beat his depression, possibly with muff action but still single not because he couldn't get any but because he doesn't want to settle down. The guys hate him and gives him shit for this when he returns after missing them, which throws him back to his depressed self on the podcast again.
chronokinetic

Postby harrypowers » Jun 14th, 2013 @ 8:14pm

TORPEDOJESUS wrote:I haven't enjoyed the past 10 or so episodes, they're kind of depressing and unfunny. Whatever though, it'll get better in a few episodes.

It sure did get better. Jack was awesome this week. I look forward to his fuck, marry, and kill answers for the Out of the Game crew.
I'm going to guess that the frat-boy Jack would reform is Todd Zuniga.
harrypowers

Postby TORPEDOJESUS » Jul 1st, 2013 @ 8:35pm

harrypowers wrote:
TORPEDOJESUS wrote:I haven't enjoyed the past 10 or so episodes, they're kind of depressing and unfunny. Whatever though, it'll get better in a few episodes.

It sure did get better. Jack was awesome this week. I look forward to his fuck, marry, and kill answers for the Out of the Game crew.
I'm going to guess that the frat-boy Jack would reform is Todd Zuniga.

Ehh, I think it was a little better, but I still didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the early episodes. I guess I just like the older sense of humor from the Debriefings more.
penises.
TORPEDOJESUS

Postby Starwats » Jul 9th, 2013 @ 6:24am

That tweaked audio ad this week was pretty great
LiQuid wrote:I think secretly kenzo gets even madder about Dota than even Dakazu.

No trading.
Starwats

Postby harrypowers » Jul 12th, 2013 @ 2:16pm

Starwats wrote: "A tap is a zero-length swipe."

I just looked that up. Those lawyers must be out of work philosophers, and bad ones at that.
harrypowers

Postby Starwats » Jul 18th, 2013 @ 11:21pm

I thought it was hilarious. Lawsuits these days...
LiQuid wrote:I think secretly kenzo gets even madder about Dota than even Dakazu.

No trading.
Starwats

Postby harrypowers » Jul 19th, 2013 @ 4:08pm

In reference to Anthony being told to, "Go fuck a 40 year old." All you need to do is date her, and afterwards she will fuck you blind."
harrypowers

Postby Candle » Jul 29th, 2013 @ 9:52am

Brian didn't seem in the mood for the long winded, half-truth stories about the time Max or Scott pretended to do something that was actually from a movie instead. Scott tells stories like a vocal fry valley bitch and Max unfortunately sounds a lot like Scott, compounding the annoyances.

Wouldn't be surprised if Anthony doesnt pay attention through Skype like he would in person.
Candle

Postby LiQuid » Jul 29th, 2013 @ 10:13am

What?
LiQuid

Postby harrypowers » Aug 2nd, 2013 @ 4:07pm

harrypowers

Postby harrypowers » Aug 9th, 2013 @ 6:47pm

I am certain next week's episode will be less, "Depressing and unfunny," than this week's episode. It has too be.
harrypowers

Postby Starwats » Aug 10th, 2013 @ 5:16pm

Holy shit

No trading.
Starwats

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 10th, 2013 @ 5:28pm

I haven't listened yet, but Ryan came by the store today and told me what he talked about. Wasn't sure if he ever really talked about this publicly before, and I guess he hadn't, so yeah, this should be an amazing episode. I can only imagine the reactions.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Aug 10th, 2013 @ 9:17pm

Master Higgins wrote:I haven't listened yet, but Ryan came by the store today and told me what he talked about. Wasn't sure if he ever really talked about this publicly before, and I guess he hadn't, so yeah, this should be an amazing episode. I can only imagine the reactions.
Oh man, the reactions were utterly delicious. DAT moment when people realized they had their feet in their mouths for 4+ years and didn't realize it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kenzo

Postby chronokinetic » Aug 10th, 2013 @ 11:05pm

Fuck. I'm so angry for Ryan. Give me that guy's name, Ryan. I'm gonna fucking punish this guy. Somehow. Holy fuck. I'm gonna pummel this guy into bits.

Fuck this shit, Ryan Scott. Live your life to the fullest, man.

Why are you not a superhero.
chronokinetic

Postby chronokinetic » Aug 10th, 2013 @ 11:11pm

Oh my fucking god. I usually listen to the Comedy Button and jerk off at night. I can't even jerk off tonight. Oh my fucking god.
chronokinetic

Postby chronokinetic » Aug 10th, 2013 @ 11:13pm

I'm just saying, Ryan, if you become a vigilante superhero, I will not blame you. If you ride down the street with a mask on a black skateboard and take out your anger on muggers and break jaws for about two years, I will not blame you.
chronokinetic

Postby LiQuid » Aug 10th, 2013 @ 11:30pm

What the fuck? It happened before he was born. Just because you just learned about it now doesn't make it any more of a deal than it was a week or a year ago. It's shitty, but Ryan's obviously been able to learn to cope over the last 30+ years.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 11th, 2013 @ 12:27am

chronokinetic wrote:Why are you not a superhero.
But dude, he's an internet-hero.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics