Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 1st, 2013 @ 12:53pm

The comments of that are hilarious. Fanboys in fucking denial at every turn. Listen, I'm glad so many people collectively loved a shitty movie, that's what collectives of people do. They like shitty shit. But trying to deny that it's a flawed disaster of a film is more hilarious to me than some dude actually listing 99 flaws from a movie.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 1st, 2013 @ 1:00pm

Stopped after

1.Pacing of the story was horrible. It felt like watching a 3-hour long trailer where dialogue is delivered at a snap pace and given no time to sink in.


Total hater comment. Every Nolan film is like this.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 1st, 2013 @ 1:02pm

It's like THE most viable complaint of the whole movie!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Feb 1st, 2013 @ 2:32pm

No matter if it wasn't terrible, DKR wasn't MOTY 2012, nor was it one of the top 3 comic book movies made.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby DukeTogo » Feb 1st, 2013 @ 9:31pm

Master Higgins wrote:Stopped after

1.Pacing of the story was horrible. It felt like watching a 3-hour long trailer where dialogue is delivered at a snap pace and given no time to sink in.


Total hater comment. Every Nolan film is like this.[/quote

I have to love the hyperbole on display here. TDKR is the weakest of the Nolan films, but it's not exactly horrible. Then again, it's nowhere near as good as Cabin in the Woods, Looper or Django Unchained.
DukeTogo
 
Posts: 33
Joined: May 6th, 2012 @ 6:37pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Quillon » Feb 2nd, 2013 @ 9:25pm

DukeTogo wrote:I have to love the hyperbole on display here. TDKR is the weakest of the Nolan films, but it's not exactly horrible. Then again, it's nowhere near as good as Cabin in the Woods, Looper or Django Unchained.

I have no opinion on whether it's the best movie of the year (I didn't see enough movies) - I'd rate it about on par with Skyfall, I think. I enjoyed both of them tremendously.

However, I did like The Dark Knight Rises the best of the Nolan Batman films. I liked The Dark Knight the worst. What makes TDK my least favorite is its nihilistic theme and unsatisfying ending. By contrast, both Batman Begins and TDKR have satisfying, even thrilling, endings.
Quillon
User avatar
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Dec 16th, 2011 @ 11:25am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Feb 3rd, 2013 @ 11:15am

Ryan just tweeted that he is buying 0 Marvel Books. Why, Why, WHY.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 3rd, 2013 @ 11:25am

I don't know how much more I can be unsurprised by the fanboy behaviors of Higgins or Brock.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 3rd, 2013 @ 11:25am

Brock is actively buying Superman, a book he hates, and yet he doesn't buy Thor which he likes.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2013 @ 11:40am

LiQuid wrote:Brock is actively buying Superman, a book he hates, and yet he doesn't buy Thor which he likes.
On a side note, Superman is super gorgeous right now.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 3rd, 2013 @ 11:56am

Yeah, seems like a total waste of Rocafort. I heard he draws the sexiest Wonder Woman. I might have a flip thru for that alone.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2013 @ 12:25pm

LiQuid wrote:Yeah, seems like a total waste of Rocafort. I heard he draws the sexiest Wonder Woman. I might have a flip thru for that alone.
Dude, he's pretty bananas.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 3rd, 2013 @ 12:55pm

Walzo wrote:Ryan just tweeted that he is buying 0 Marvel Books. Why, Why, WHY.


I haven't been buying many Marvel books since about 1994, honestly. I got back into a lot of Marvel around the time JoeQ came in, but left by the time Morrison left New X-Men. I've been buying a good number of DC books since Morrison's JLA started, and started buying more around Identity Crisis. The only Marvel books I was buying in the last decade were Avengers (dropped after Disassembled), Captain America (started when Bru started, dropped when he left), and Daredevil (dropped after the terrible Shadowland xover...should have stuck with it, but oh well).
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Feb 3rd, 2013 @ 3:08pm

Master Higgins wrote:
Walzo wrote:Ryan just tweeted that he is buying 0 Marvel Books. Why, Why, WHY.


I haven't been buying many Marvel books since about 1994, honestly. I got back into a lot of Marvel around the time JoeQ came in, but left by the time Morrison left New X-Men. I've been buying a good number of DC books since Morrison's JLA started, and started buying more around Identity Crisis. The only Marvel books I was buying in the last decade were Avengers (dropped after Disassembled), Captain America (started when Bru started, dropped when he left), and Daredevil (dropped after the terrible Shadowland xover...should have stuck with it, but oh well).


So how are you reading anything from Marvel Now? Are you just reading them at the store?

What books are you reading from DC, that are some how better quality than Thor, or Indestructible Hulk, or anything else?

This is actually making me frustrated.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby bitblockader » Feb 4th, 2013 @ 5:41pm

Throwing around the word fanboy is like Fox News constantly reminding everyone how they're Fair and Balanced.
bitblockader
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Jul 25th, 2009 @ 8:05pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 4th, 2013 @ 6:06pm

bitblockader wrote:Throwing around the word fanboy is like Fox News constantly reminding everyone how they're Fair and Balanced.

1. That analogy sucks.
2. In the case of Ryan and Brock it's completely justified.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 4th, 2013 @ 6:18pm

Walzo wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:
Walzo wrote:Ryan just tweeted that he is buying 0 Marvel Books. Why, Why, WHY.


I haven't been buying many Marvel books since about 1994, honestly. I got back into a lot of Marvel around the time JoeQ came in, but left by the time Morrison left New X-Men. I've been buying a good number of DC books since Morrison's JLA started, and started buying more around Identity Crisis. The only Marvel books I was buying in the last decade were Avengers (dropped after Disassembled), Captain America (started when Bru started, dropped when he left), and Daredevil (dropped after the terrible Shadowland xover...should have stuck with it, but oh well).


So how are you reading anything from Marvel Now? Are you just reading them at the store?

What books are you reading from DC, that are some how better quality than Thor, or Indestructible Hulk, or anything else?

This is actually making me frustrated.


Oh! I was totally replying to this yesterday, and I guess I never actually hit submit. Lemme try this again.

I keep up on as many books as I possibly can. I read ~30 Marvel books and a good handful of indie stuff at the store, yeah. Perks of owning everything in the store :lol: While Thor is good (and Indestructible Hulk is ok, not on my top list, but I do like it), there's a bunch of DC stuff I like as much, or better: almost all the Batman titles, JL, all the Green Lantern stuff, JL Dark, I Vampire, Animal Man/Swamp Thing, Red Hood, etc etc. Part of it is, I just like DC's characters better than Marvel. Part of it is, I'm just sick of a lot of Marvel's creators (Fraction, Bendis). My interest in Marvel died 2 decades ago, and it's probably not coming back unless Johns or Morrison start working for Marvel again, or Garth Ennis comes back on Punisher ongoing.

I want to love Marvel. I want to love their books. It's just been so long, and I just don't care about their titles anymore, when it comes to actually building a collection. I enjoy most of the books I read, or else I'd stop reading them. I legitimately enjoy a lot of what Bendis does, but it's not the Marvel I liked. I totally get why people love Hawkeye, it's just not for me.

With DC, I have a lot of love for the characters, regardless of creative teams. For Marvel, it's almost all 100% creative driven. They just don't have the creators I like working there.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 4th, 2013 @ 6:24pm

Another thing I just thought of.

Years ago, I decided I was just into too much shit. I cut a lot of stuff out that I enjoyed, but just wasn't giving the attention to I wanted. Card games, role-playing games, some video games, lots of comics (I've purged about 30-40 long boxes in my time collecting), things like that. Marvel was a clear part of that purging. You can joke I still need to do it (hello anime/video game "list"), but it could be a lot worse, I could still be trying to get Ryan Scott to play D&D with me.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 4th, 2013 @ 11:00pm

Image

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 94 (2013-02-04)
Join most of the regular crew this week as we fake knowing sportsball stuff, making terrible Super Bowl jokes, Super Bowl commercials, lots of listener questions, Ryan's annual discussion of not actually hating Marvel, Young Avengers #1, Star Wars #1 shortages, DC's WTF month, Marvel's Hulk movie plans, and updates on Green Lantern TAS and Young Justice. Starring Ryan Higgins, Omar Brodrick, Brock Sager, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 14m 21s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 4th, 2013 @ 11:29pm

If you didn't actually hate Marvel you wouldn't have to defend yourself from constant accusations to the contrary. If you just embraced comics books as a medium without all the snark and facetious dismissal you'd never get accused of favoritism.

Regardless of what your argument du jour is, tho, the fact that you somehow manage to purchase zero Marvel books, like Brock, speaks louder than anything you could say in your defense. You can't allay the severity of the favoritism that implies.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby comicsanddakine » Feb 5th, 2013 @ 12:29am

LiQuid wrote:If you didn't actually hate Marvel you wouldn't have to defend yourself from constant accusations to the contrary. If you just embraced comics books as a medium without all the snark and facetious dismissal you'd never get accused of favoritism.

Regardless of what your argument du jour is, tho, the fact that you somehow manage to purchase zero Marvel books, like Brock, speaks louder than anything you could say in your defense. You can't allay the severity of the favoritism that implies.


Sitting back eating popcorn...
comicsanddakine
User avatar
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Feb 27th, 2012 @ 9:59pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Feb 5th, 2013 @ 1:18am

Higgins hating on the superbowl ads - most of them sucked this year, but god fucking damnit. The Joe Montana stain commercial was the best fucking shit ever.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Feb 5th, 2013 @ 1:11pm

Master Higgins wrote:
Walzo wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:
Walzo wrote:Ryan just tweeted that he is buying 0 Marvel Books. Why, Why, WHY.


I haven't been buying many Marvel books since about 1994, honestly. I got back into a lot of Marvel around the time JoeQ came in, but left by the time Morrison left New X-Men. I've been buying a good number of DC books since Morrison's JLA started, and started buying more around Identity Crisis. The only Marvel books I was buying in the last decade were Avengers (dropped after Disassembled), Captain America (started when Bru started, dropped when he left), and Daredevil (dropped after the terrible Shadowland xover...should have stuck with it, but oh well).


So how are you reading anything from Marvel Now? Are you just reading them at the store?

What books are you reading from DC, that are some how better quality than Thor, or Indestructible Hulk, or anything else?

This is actually making me frustrated.


Oh! I was totally replying to this yesterday, and I guess I never actually hit submit. Lemme try this again.

I keep up on as many books as I possibly can. I read ~30 Marvel books and a good handful of indie stuff at the store, yeah. Perks of owning everything in the store :lol: While Thor is good (and Indestructible Hulk is ok, not on my top list, but I do like it), there's a bunch of DC stuff I like as much, or better: almost all the Batman titles, JL, all the Green Lantern stuff, JL Dark, I Vampire, Animal Man/Swamp Thing, Red Hood, etc etc. Part of it is, I just like DC's characters better than Marvel. Part of it is, I'm just sick of a lot of Marvel's creators (Fraction, Bendis). My interest in Marvel died 2 decades ago, and it's probably not coming back unless Johns or Morrison start working for Marvel again, or Garth Ennis comes back on Punisher ongoing.

I want to love Marvel. I want to love their books. It's just been so long, and I just don't care about their titles anymore, when it comes to actually building a collection. I enjoy most of the books I read, or else I'd stop reading them. I legitimately enjoy a lot of what Bendis does, but it's not the Marvel I liked. I totally get why people love Hawkeye, it's just not for me.

With DC, I have a lot of love for the characters, regardless of creative teams. For Marvel, it's almost all 100% creative driven. They just don't have the creators I like working there.


I just want you to BUY Marvel books.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 5th, 2013 @ 2:16pm

I buy like $2000 worth of Marvel books a week, how much more do you want? :lol: :lol: :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Quillon » Feb 5th, 2013 @ 2:37pm

Master Higgins wrote:
Walzo wrote:Ryan just tweeted that he is buying 0 Marvel Books. Why, Why, WHY.


I haven't been buying many Marvel books since about 1994, honestly. I got back into a lot of Marvel around the time JoeQ came in, but left by the time Morrison left New X-Men. I've been buying a good number of DC books since Morrison's JLA started, and started buying more around Identity Crisis. The only Marvel books I was buying in the last decade were Avengers (dropped after Disassembled), Captain America (started when Bru started, dropped when he left), and Daredevil (dropped after the terrible Shadowland xover...should have stuck with it, but oh well).

Filling out my order form this week I realize I may be buying fewer DC titles today that at any time since before Crisis On Infinite Earths. I really feel like DC is just going through the motions and doing the same old things over and over again. For example, I know the new Suicide Squad makes Conspirator Brock moist, but it felt terribly ho-hum to me.

DC books I'm buying: Batgirl, Batman Inc. (will drop when Morrison leaves), Earth 2, Green Lantern, Threshold (not optimistic about this one), The Whistling Skull (limited), World's Finest. Plus some Vertigo titles.

I'm buying a smattering of Marvel books. I don't know how much longer I'll stick with Captain America, but I am reading and enjoying Thor, Daredevil, and Indestructible Hulk. But I pretty much stay away from the Avengers/X-Men/Spider-Man titles, unless it's by a creator I really like. (I care way more about creators than characters these days.)

I might be buying more Image titles than DC and Marvel titles combined.
Quillon
User avatar
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Dec 16th, 2011 @ 11:25am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Quillon » Feb 5th, 2013 @ 2:45pm

Master Higgins wrote:I keep up on as many books as I possibly can. I read ~30 Marvel books and a good handful of indie stuff at the store, yeah. Perks of owning everything in the store :lol: While Thor is good (and Indestructible Hulk is ok, not on my top list, but I do like it), there's a bunch of DC stuff I like as much, or better: almost all the Batman titles, JL, all the Green Lantern stuff, JL Dark, I Vampire, Animal Man/Swamp Thing, Red Hood, etc etc. Part of it is, I just like DC's characters better than Marvel. Part of it is, I'm just sick of a lot of Marvel's creators (Fraction, Bendis). My interest in Marvel died 2 decades ago, and it's probably not coming back unless Johns or Morrison start working for Marvel again, or Garth Ennis comes back on Punisher ongoing.

I want to love Marvel. I want to love their books. It's just been so long, and I just don't care about their titles anymore, when it comes to actually building a collection. I enjoy most of the books I read, or else I'd stop reading them. I legitimately enjoy a lot of what Bendis does, but it's not the Marvel I liked. I totally get why people love Hawkeye, it's just not for me.

With DC, I have a lot of love for the characters, regardless of creative teams. For Marvel, it's almost all 100% creative driven. They just don't have the creators I like working there.

Marvel and DC both basically beat any care I had for their characters out of me by the mid-1990s. Marvel because most of their stuff in the 90s just plain sucked, and DC because they so totally flubbed their books after Crisis on Infinite Earths (and eviscerated the JSA). I realized that the companies don't care about the characters, so why should I? More to the point, I realized that most of the comics I really loved were by specific creators who were just really good (or really in tune with stories I liked to read).

This was driven home when Marvel's Heroes Reborn brought together Busiek and Perez on Avengers, which might be the best run of that title ever.

So now I follow creators, not characters. If a book is getting really good word of mouth I'll sometimes try it (though I don't think anything could get me to buy an issue of Deadpool), but I'm more interested in whether the creators are doing something worthwhile and different, in their own voices, than the latest editorial-driven permutation of age-old storylines.

And really, both DC and Marvel have a lot of trouble hiring good creative talent and turning them loose to create something cool. The editorial reins are just too tight, and the result is usually pablum.
Quillon
User avatar
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Dec 16th, 2011 @ 11:25am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Feb 5th, 2013 @ 3:44pm

Quillon, I dunno how you are buying GL but not GLC. GLC has been the better book by a mile.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 5th, 2013 @ 3:49pm

There's absolutely nothing going on in GLC that makes me think anybody should read it over GL.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Feb 5th, 2013 @ 3:57pm

Wut. GLC has Guy Gardner doing Guy Gardner things. Automatically > all other GL stuff.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 5th, 2013 @ 4:00pm

I normally like Guy but this story hasn't been good since John's trial. Guy got stripped, sent back to earth and then it's been all his dumb family shit since. I see enough cartoon, Irish families in all the shitty shows and movies I watch, I don't need them in my comics too. I find them super tiring.

That said, go watch Showtime's Brotherhood, the best show that has ever existed ever.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron