Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Jaebird » Sep 18th, 2013 @ 9:55am

I can only guess one of two possibilities as to why Fialkov is writing Ultimate stuff: a) either he was given the task of ending the Ultimate universe, or b) he wanted to write the end of the Ultimate universe when Marvel decided they're going to end it. And, he's going to be writing the Ult. X-Men and Ultimates Cataclysm tie-in minis, while Bendis handles Ult. Spider-Man and Cataclysm proper.

And, unless it just the fact that he's writing Ultimate-related stuff, I can't see what's so special about his writing. If anything, his Ultimates arc was just okay while Hunger is lackluster.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby kenzo » Sep 18th, 2013 @ 3:34pm

karubah wrote:The thing about Vin Diesel that not a lot of people know (or should care about really) is that he is a shameless self-promoter.
I'm failing to see how this is an issue worth mentioning. He's an ACTOR. He makes a living selling his abilities and skills to the public for people to watch. Would you rather he... toils away in obscurity? That's counterintuitive to his job. Any good actor worth their chops pay agents and other people MILLIONS of dollars to promote for them... why is it a bad thing that Vin Diesel promotes himself then?

Also, I'd like to point out that you're posting on a message board that only exists for the sole purpose of self-promoting a self-employed writer and his friends/co-workers after they were laid off of their jobs.
kenzo

Postby Wally » Sep 19th, 2013 @ 11:35am

Hey Sidler thanks for answering my question, I used to doodle on everything too.

If you guys want another question:

What was the worst mistake you guys made involving comic books?

I used to buy Dreamwave's Transformers Armada comic book series, Venom vs Carnage, and I bought a book or two of Spider-man Legend of the Spider Clan. The best purchase I had in this timespan was Jae Lee's artwork in the GI Joe & Transformers crossover series.
Wally

Postby kenzo » Sep 20th, 2013 @ 5:00pm

"What the hell is Vin Diesel... what nationality is he... is he just white?"

Yeah Ryan, white is a nationality. The dude is AMERICAN you racist fuck.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 21st, 2013 @ 8:34am

kenzo wrote:"What the hell is Vin Diesel... what nationality is he... is he just white?"

Yeah Ryan, white is a nationality. The dude is AMERICAN you racist fuck.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

For some reason I thought he was mixed something, I dunno.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Sep 21st, 2013 @ 9:34am

His last name is DIESEL. You can't get more American than that!
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Sep 21st, 2013 @ 11:50am

Master Higgins wrote:For some reason I thought he was mixed something, I dunno.
There's a big difference between ethnicity and nationality, Higgins.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 23rd, 2013 @ 9:53pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 125 (2013-09-23)
This week, Ryan re-reads Infinity, and we talk about DC sales, raging against blogs, Jupiter’s Legacy, liquidating comics, proper comic storage, favorite sidekicks, the best of BKV, Injustice tie-in comic, TV comic seasons, and memorable comic deaths. Starring Ryan Higgins, Omar Brodrick, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 20m 22s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jw_6179 » Sep 24th, 2013 @ 10:57am

Complaining about blogspam stirring up SJW for page clicks? You're gonna enrabble the Tumblrites. Mah feels! I can't...!

As a side note, it's way worse in games right now. I read the best, most self-righteously angry SJW review of a game I've read in a while. Europa Universalis might have a Eurocentric perspective?! Nawwwww.
jw_6179

Postby Vyria » Sep 26th, 2013 @ 9:58am

Higgins, serious question and I want you to consider this without trolling or vitriol (I know it will be difficult, it's ComicsAlliance.)

How do you feel about this Andrew Wheeler article? http://comicsalliance.com/dc-comics-new ... editorial/

Specifically, the idea that DC has such laser focus on the "core comic fan"* that it's shutting off potential new readership. I think you're right about the fact that 95% of comics readers don't care at all about the controversies and creative team shuffles, and out of that 5% who do, even fewer will drop books over it. That being said, the fact stuff like this is happening is driving off potential readers, no matter how much you say "they wouldn't have ever picked up a Batwoman comic." Between the fact the preponderance of their line right now does boil down to the male power fantasy as Wheeler characterizes it, and the media face of the comics line is a steady string of embarrassing PR blunders, they aren't luring in new readership. I understand you like a lot of DC's output right now (I can't agree with you,) but how would you go about improving the line and would you address the issue of broadening the appeal?

Corollary to this: Do you get a lot of kids in your shop? Do the kids that are coming in buy a lot of KaBOOM! stuff or is it lots of DC/Marvel? Do you feel like the upcoming generation of tiny baby comic book fans is enough to support the big 2 in the future?

*I think Wheeler mischaracterizes DiDio's quote. I think DiDio did mean as many people as possible, not the biggest demographic. In practice though I think it's clear they doubled down on the core demographic with the New 52 forward.
Vyria

Postby kenzo » Sep 27th, 2013 @ 1:19am

Toby, I'm glad you put CrossXhunteR in his place about Korra. It's an amazing show! It's so progressive for Nickelodeon to make a cartoon with a mentally handicapped main character.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 30th, 2013 @ 10:31pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 126 (2013-09-30)
This week, we attempt to eat at local taco cart, discuss Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., All-New Marvel Now teases, Comic Conspiracy Book Club pick JLA: Earth 2, Villains Month wrap-up, Rat Queens, Ninjabot Origin kickstarter, and American cheese on burritos. Starring Ryan Higgins, Omar Brodrick, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 27m 53s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby darfox8 » Oct 1st, 2013 @ 1:14pm

:lol: Holy Shit! Toby vomiting the whole cast, poor guy.

Also Hanamichi Sakuragi from Slam Dunk is the maaaaaan, your the maaan man.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby jw_6179 » Oct 1st, 2013 @ 3:03pm

Actually, the S.H.I.E.L.D. flying car popped up in the movies already too. If you recall, in Captain America, Mr. Rogers was touring the Stark Industry's World's Fair thing, and Howard Stark was prototyping a 1940s version of the same technology.

jw_6179

Postby comicsanddakine » Oct 2nd, 2013 @ 1:57pm

Nice catch!! I forgot about that...
jw_6179 wrote:Actually, the S.H.I.E.L.D. flying car popped up in the movies already too. If you recall, in Captain America, Mr. Rogers was touring the Stark Industry's World's Fair thing, and Howard Stark was prototyping a 1940s version of the same technology.

comicsanddakine

Postby Roadie Brock » Oct 2nd, 2013 @ 11:48pm

Wally wrote:Image
What was the worst mistake you guys made involving comic books?

Paying to much for modern books (80's through the 90's). They aren't worth very much. I know there are random key issues, but overall they aren't worth a whole lot, because everyone kept them in nice shape expecting them to buy a new car or house. Lesson I learned; you should never shell out good money for something that shouldn't cost more than a dollar.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Jaebird » Oct 3rd, 2013 @ 6:29am

Roadie Brock wrote:Paying to much for modern books (80's through the 90's). They aren't worth very much. I know there are random key issues, but overall they aren't worth a whole lot, because everyone kept them in nice shape expecting them to buy a new car or house. Lesson I learned; you should never shell out good money for something that shouldn't cost more than a dollar.

Out of curiosity, did these comics have an obnoxious cover price, or did you pay more than what was required?
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 7th, 2013 @ 10:01pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 127 (2013-10-07)
This weeks, the Red Sox lose to the Rays in Game 3, but we also discuss Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episodes 1 and 2, possible new DC books and creative teams, sales charts for September, 2013, the Gotham TV show, and some more JLA: Earth-2 reviews. Starring Ryan Higgins, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 27m 53s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby JEKKI » Oct 10th, 2013 @ 8:07pm

man I love burritos and mexican food! I love getting my burritos with cheese in them!!

queso!!

but the town I've been living in for this past year doesn't have any good mexican, I gotta drive out to neighboring areas...

one local place I thought was authentic, a fresh juice spot, but they got food too!

so I was checkin it out, ordered a lengua burrito and asked for cheese, to which the lady replied

"oh, they already come with swiss cheese in them"

and I was like "swiss?? uhh ok."

yeay... it was nasty lol.

anywayz, I updated my comixology bookmark to the comics conspiracy link...

I hope there's a good sale tonite!!! ^_^
JEKKI

Postby LiQuid » Oct 10th, 2013 @ 9:04pm

Swiss cheese is great. I would eat a Swiss cheese burrito with Swiss cheese taking the place of the tortilla.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 14th, 2013 @ 10:03pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 128 (2013-10-14)
Tons and tons of New York Comic Con 2013 news this week, including the return of Miracleman, why this might not be a good thing, All-New Marvel NOW! creative teams, a new New Warriors comic, Robert Kirkman's Outcast, Batman: Eternal, Detective Comics #27, and a bunch of listener questions. Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 20m 15s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby karubah » Oct 15th, 2013 @ 5:25am

The big news at the Voltron panel at NYCC? Voltron + Robotech crossover comic book http://www.japanculture-nyc.com/2013/10/12/makers-of-voltron-robotech-preview-crossover-series-at-new-york-comic-con/

Troy Baker is the new voice of the Joker. ASI Batman:Arkham Origins - http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/13/troy-baker-kills-it-with-joker-monologue-from-the-killing-joke/ Kind of scary how much he sounds like Mark Hamill.
karubah

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 15th, 2013 @ 10:19am

karubah wrote:The big news at the Voltron panel at NYCC? Voltron + Robotech crossover comic book http://www.japanculture-nyc.com/2013/10/12/makers-of-voltron-robotech-preview-crossover-series-at-new-york-comic-con/

Sweet! Passed it on to my friend.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 21st, 2013 @ 10:01pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 129 (2013-10-21)
Toby channels Machete this week, as we discuss starting to read manga, Halloween Comicfest, DC's Five Years Later, new Marvel crossover, Rick Remender books we like (or don't), talking about talking about Image, Beware the Batman, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Arrow Season 2, and Walking Dead Season 4. Starring Ryan Higgins, Omar Brodrick, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 15m 13s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby CrossXhunteR » Oct 22nd, 2013 @ 6:32am

I can't find the perfect gif of some giving the middle finger to express my distaste for Higgins and the Crew after them discussing Beware the Batman. Especially with them lauding Korra earlier in the episode.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Oct 22nd, 2013 @ 6:38am

CrossXhunteR wrote:I can't find the perfect gif of some giving the middle finger to express my distaste for Higgins and the Crew after them discussing Beware the Batman. Especially with them lauding Korra earlier in the episode.

Here you can use this oldie but goodie.

LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Oct 22nd, 2013 @ 7:18am

Bakuman might get really good, I dunno. But I watched the first few episodes and found the entire premise infuriating. The show starts out with this guy who is infatuated with this girl, and it turns out visa versa. They both want to bone each other extraordinarily hard, and they both have compatible interests, and they're both ambitious with their career goals. But instead of, you know, doing the natural thing by talking to each other and hooking up, they do the most anime thing ever and declare that they'll never talk to each other again until they both achieve their extraordinarily ambitious life-goals and then they promise to marry each other. It's fucking retarded. I think I threw my computer across the room that day. It's also one of a myriad of shows that somewhat glamorize and normalize 'otaku' - and I find most of those kinds of shows tedious, unrealistic, obnoxious, and self-congratulating.

Toby, you would like "Kuroko's Basketball". It's basically Slam Dunk: The Next Generation. The MC might not be as good, but the rest of the cast is better, the pacing is better, the animation is better, and the basketball is better.
kenzo

Postby jw_6179 » Oct 22nd, 2013 @ 9:28am

I swear to God I heard Higgins say that Toby loves manko.
jw_6179

Postby CrossXhunteR » Oct 22nd, 2013 @ 9:42am

No, he loves mangoes.
CrossXhunteR

Postby comicsanddakine » Oct 22nd, 2013 @ 3:16pm

Thank you. Let me join you on that bird action!!
CrossXhunteR wrote:I can't find the perfect gif of some giving the middle finger to express my distaste for Higgins and the Crew after them discussing Beware the Batman. Especially with them lauding Korra earlier in the episode.
comicsanddakine

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics