Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 28th, 2015 @ 2:28pm

Nice! Those came out end of last year, I think? I've got a few of the other sets, they're great.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Vyria » Mar 30th, 2015 @ 9:58pm

Following up from my other post, last week's Flash and Arrow were both big course corrections. Golden Glider's gold gun is the dumbest thing, and the set-up for the new status quo with the rogues is kind of weird, but I like the situation. The conversation with Flash and Cold was so good.

Arrow wasn't great, but it was fun, with a minimum of overwraught soap drama and the conflict with Ray was resolved within an episode instead of dragging it out. Still amused by the Atom suit being nearly identical to the Ant-Man movie concept.

Ollie continues his streak of really bizarre/inappropriate exits.
Vyria

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 31st, 2015 @ 9:52pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 203 (2015-03-31)
This week, we discuss Kevin Eastman, Deadpool's movie costume, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Daredevil posters, Punisher on Netflix, Convergence #0, Roger Slifer, Batman '66 animated movie, DCTV casting, Dawn of the Walking Dead, the Walking Dead Season 5 finale, and our 4th anniversary. Starring Ryan Higgins, Jim Jokisch, Brock Sager, and Toby Sidler.
Running Time: 1h 17m 00s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby slinkdickens » Apr 1st, 2015 @ 11:21am

Following up from my other post, last week's Flash and Arrow were both big course corrections. Golden Glider's gold gun is the dumbest thing, and the set-up for the new status quo with the rogues is kind of weird, but I like the situation. The conversation with Flash and Cold was so good.

Yeah, I didn't get the golden gun either. Why would anyone even ask for that from an engineer unless they thought engineers were magical genies? If you thought someone could make something that would transmute things into gold, is the first application really going to be a gun? A GUN? Look, I realize I'm talking about a show that has dude running so fast he can go back in time, but this doesn't even make comic book sense. Even Ducktales had the courtesy of explaining the how and the why someone is making an alchemy weapon. I don't know, maybe there's a deleted scene where Cisco had access to the Number One Dime, but I think that's giving the genius writer behind the golden gun too much credit.
slinkdickens

Postby Vyria » Apr 1st, 2015 @ 12:57pm

I'm assuming a throwaway line was cut, or will exist about it being pyrite or anything about it just looking like gold.

Also, was Brock suggesting that I was the guy who left a bad iTunes review? Because lol. That did prompt me to go on a spree reviewing all the stuff I listen to.

Finally, Higgins. Is there any chance of you guys discussing Morrison's Multiversity once it's done or is anyone but you even reading it?
Vyria

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 1st, 2015 @ 6:13pm

Vyria wrote:I'm assuming a throwaway line was cut, or will exist about it being pyrite or anything about it just looking like gold.

Also, was Brock suggesting that I was the guy who left a bad iTunes review? Because lol. That did prompt me to go on a spree reviewing all the stuff I listen to.

Finally, Higgins. Is there any chance of you guys discussing Morrison's Multiversity once it's done or is anyone but you even reading it?

I don't know about the iTunes review.

And hell yes, once the last issue is out I'm gonna reread them all and talk about it. It's been just so fucking good.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 7th, 2015 @ 10:38pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 204 (2015-04-07)
This week, we discuss Emerald City Comiccon, WonderCon, Convergence vs Secret Wars, Bryce’s Cable Quiz, and the Comic Conspiracy Book Club Pick of the Month, Authority Volume 1. Starring Ryan Higgins, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, Lane Terasaki, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 49m 41s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Vyria » Apr 8th, 2015 @ 12:59pm

Master Higgins wrote:LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 204 (2015-04-07)
This week, we discuss Emerald City Comiccon, WonderCon, Convergence vs Secret Wars, Bryce’s Cable Quiz, and the Comic Conspiracy Book Club Pick of the Month, Authority Volume 1. Starring Ryan Higgins, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, Lane Terasaki, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 49m 41s

Higgins, you absolutely nailed it when talking about the Authority, and highlighted why I have such a love/hate relationship with that book. It's an amazing comic and is a masterful examination of what superhumans would do when not shackled by comic book morality. I also think it still holds up as a fun read even without the historical context. The reason I hate The Authority is, as you eloquently pointed out, this is what comics are now, and that problem to me is twofold.

As I said, I think it's a masterful examination of a theme, but that's all I want. It was excited when Ultimates came out because it was rehashing The Authority with some beloved characters. It was also a great book and when it was done and I was ready to move on, but due to popularity, everything went in that direction. I like The Authority for what it is, but I don't want every series to be about a bunch of crass, anti-heroes dealing with for s6erious real world problems with superpowers. Sometimes I just want heroes to be goddamn heroes and blow up an doomsday machine without hurting anyone and save the day. There are still books like that out there, but they are not the big focus of the publishers. I personally wish the stands were dominated by books copying All-Star Superman instead of Ultimates.

My other big problem with The Authority is the advent of "Widescreen Storytelling" or whatever Ellis, Hitch, and Lee coined to describe the book. Once again, it's great, unique at the time, and it works for the book, but it has become ubiquitous. It's a cool style and has it's place, but at this point I just find it tired and boring most of the time. While I feel like it originated with Ellis and Hitch wanting to do something new and unique, I feel like Millar especially and a lot of other people who latched on to using that style do it just because they want to be film writers but happen to be in comics. Millar realizing he could make comics into movie pitches is probably the worst thing to come out of The Authority but it's just a symptom of a bigger trend. I'm tired of comics (and also video games) trying to be movies. Comics can do so many crazy things as a medium that movies can't and I feel like the entire trend of books looking like storyboards with splash pages in the middle, is actively bringing down the medium. Combined with Bendis introducing the trend of decompressed storytelling, those storyboards are frequently just boring panels of people talking on either side of that splash.

I know it's not Ellis and Hitch's fault that their book became such an archetype of the industry, but it's hard to think about it and not be frustrated. It's such a trend driven business that it's hard to not happen, but I'm tired of companies and creators taking the wrong lessons from things like Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, and The Authority.

Unrelated to that mess: I have a bunch of friends and acquaintances who are comic creators and Emerald City Comic Con is consistently their favorite big con both for selling stuff and for seeing new work from other creators.
Vyria

Postby LiQuid » Apr 9th, 2015 @ 3:15pm

I approve of Toby's BotM pick! This is literally the only time you will EVER hear me approve of a manga pick. He managed to pick the one. The only one. I still have all my old Tokyopop GTO trades, I might dig them out and have a re-read. It's been a long ass time.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Apr 9th, 2015 @ 3:36pm

Oh fuck, he picked GTO. Even having watched some of the anime recently, I might read some of the manga for this.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Apr 9th, 2015 @ 3:59pm

How much story does the first volume of GTO cover? I imagine it can't be much. I'm going to bet Brock loves it. GTO is like the best kind of wish fulfillment for educators. I'd be great to be able to beat the crap out of your students and get away with it. ;) But really though, GTO deals with real school issues better than most mangos I've ever seen, it's very relateable. I dunno how Higgins will deal though. It's hard to tell with that guy. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll love it the way he ought to, but who knows.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Apr 9th, 2015 @ 4:10pm

Does Higgins like good shit? Usually not. So Higgins will hate this.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 9th, 2015 @ 4:17pm

Vyria, glad to see we're on the same page with Authority. I was surprised Bryce had the same reaction. It's still a good comic, just not as good as I remembered.

And yeah, I know nothing about GTO, I'm curious to check it out.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Apr 9th, 2015 @ 4:30pm

Dude, Higgins, you should skip all that weeb anime kenzo tells you to watch and watch the GTO anime after you fall in love with this manga. MY SEAL OF APPROVAL SHOULD MEAN EVERYTHING TO YOU.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Apr 9th, 2015 @ 5:02pm

I tell Higgins to watch the least weeb shit out there, but he still won't watch that stuff. How's that JoJo watch going, Higgins?

Still, I fully endorse moving GTO to the top of whatever stupid queue you've got Higgins. 11/10 life changing animu.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 10th, 2015 @ 8:00am

It's not "won't watch", it's "don't have time to watch". I'd burn the store down and sit around and watch anime and play video games all day if I could.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Apr 10th, 2015 @ 3:23pm

I know, buddy. Its nbd. But I won't stop breaking your balls as long as WoW keeps being a thing that is higher up on your priorities list, keeping you from doing other things with your limited spare time. :)
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 11th, 2015 @ 8:09am

kenzo wrote:I know, buddy. Its nbd. But I won't stop breaking your balls as long as WoW keeps being a thing that is higher up on your priorities list, keeping you from doing other things with your limited spare time. :)

Eh, I've barely played this past month, really.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Apr 11th, 2015 @ 3:03pm

Master Higgins wrote:Implying you've still spent any time on WoW at all

Still failing the priorities litmus test, dawg. :mrgreen:
kenzo

Postby Vyria » Apr 14th, 2015 @ 2:11pm

To get out ahead of this: I really hope none of you say dumb stuff about this new Frank Cho debacle. I love Frank and Robbi's art. Robbi is dumb for getting mad about what is essentially a high profile piece of fan art. I think it's well known Frank can be an antagonistic ass about things, and so something that even I (for once) consider a non-story has blown up.

It has become a proxy for the ongoing discussion about how women characters are treated though, and Robbi does say some good things in his Facebook response about out of place T&A to promote comics, but I've gone over that plenty here. I find Liefeld chiming in as if he's an industry luminary hilarious, and his and Campbell's back and forth of "hey man they're just healthy, dynamic ladies!" gross.

Also, Frank's Facebook post linked a trashy article on a misogynist website that concluded with a nightmare scenario of future comics looking like The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. The art in that book is fantastic, and I wish more books were like it in both tone and style. God forbid a female comic character be a normal looking, non-sexualized girl.

In less divisive news. I'm really sad to hear Herb Trimpe died yesterday. His art in Hulk is some of my favorite for the character, and "Trimpe Teeth" became a loving in-joke with me and some friends after one of them immediately identified the artist of this panel by teeth alone (though I guess Paul Neary is credited with this issue? I guess Trimpe re-did some panels.)
He was a great artist and, by all accounts, a really nice guy to his fans. He will be missed.
Vyria

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 14th, 2015 @ 9:40pm

Don't worry, we don't bring it up! :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 14th, 2015 @ 9:41pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 205 (2015-04-14)
This week, we discuss the passing of Herb Trimpe, the Wonder Woman movie loses its director, Batman v Superman teaser incoming, Secret Wars ordering, event fatigue, Brightest Day, favorite Batman villain not named The Joker, Black Vortex, and an Avengers: Age of Ultron VIP ticket giveaway! Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 14m 16s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Apr 15th, 2015 @ 12:29am

God is the WW movie already in development hell? Fucking come on Warner Brothers.
LiQuid

Postby Vyria » Apr 15th, 2015 @ 2:13pm

Master Higgins wrote:Don't worry, we don't bring it up! :lol:

I don't understand how anyone can like Identity Crisis. It's the book that got me back into comics since I was so hyped over the premise, but that ending completely shits the bed. Meltzer is a hack of a mystery writer.

LiQuid wrote:God is the WW movie already in development hell? Fucking come on Warner Brothers.

I wouldn't call this development hell. I'm sure there's already so much of the production apparatus underway at this point that they'll get this sorted in short order.
Vyria

Postby slinkdickens » Apr 16th, 2015 @ 2:37pm

A lot of talk about the Batman v Superman trailer. Did no one anticipate the Star Wars trailer coming out at the big Star Wars fan fest?
slinkdickens

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 21st, 2015 @ 10:40pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 206 (2015-04-21)
This week, we discuss the Batman v Superman IMAX teaser event, Avengers: Age of Ultron movie ticket giveaway, attempt to discuss the Fantastic Four trailer, start talking about the Batman v Superman trailer again, finally talk about the FF trailer for a few minutes, and answer listener questions. Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 24m 26s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 28th, 2015 @ 10:52pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 207 (2015-04-28)
This week, we discuss Avengers: Age of Ultron. Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 39m 09s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby meDotJS » Apr 28th, 2015 @ 11:14pm

Since Higgins said on Twitter that he saw it early I assume that means you all saw it early. Which means spoiler talk.

So congrats on putting out a podcast that most of us can't listen to until Friday. I mean I'll enjoy it then but come on, no need to rub in how you guys saw it early.

Basically I'm just jealous.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 28th, 2015 @ 11:18pm

meDotJS wrote:Since Higgins said on Twitter that he saw it early I assume that means you all saw it early. Which means spoiler talk.

So congrats on putting out a podcast that most of us can't listen to until Friday. I mean I'll enjoy it then but come on, no need to rub in how you guys saw it early.

Basically I'm just jealous.

:lol: :lol:

We're literally the last place on Earth to get this movie, it sucks. I've got friends that saw it 3 weeks ago.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Apr 29th, 2015 @ 12:04am

Master Higgins wrote:figuratively the last place on Earth to get this movie
FTFY, since you know, most of us aren't as plugged into the comic/movie industry as you guys are and just watch whatever comes to local theaters.

And yeah, I will change your literal to figurative. Because if you're using the word for its opposite intended purpose, then it has no purpose. It's become a fluff word and a verbal pause. You've taken a word with a very clear meaning, and then reduced it to simply being a word to generically emphasize something. You might as well say "like... totally" instead.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics