Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » May 3rd, 2016 @ 10:35pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 259 (2016-05-03)
This week, we discuss a Star Wars wedding, May the 4th, Free Comic Book Day, Captain America: Civil War’s box office potential, DC’s Sophie’s Choice, YouTube comic personalities, $2.99 vs $3.99, and reading comic books on a budget. Starring Ryan Higgins, Chris Noyes, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 31m 52s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Tdknght » May 11th, 2016 @ 8:32am

I love this podcast but I think you missed a few things on Civil War.

Tony seemed to me to recruit Spider-Man and lead him into that Cap-ish dialogue because Tony was looking for a Cap replacement. Tony needs Steve's righteousness to ground him and he was hoping Spider-Man would offer that. Also, remember that Tony and Steve are in fact friends who's entire relationship has had resentment simmering in the background.

And this movie was better that BvS because of that simmering resentment and we are invested in these characters because this conflict between Steve and Tony has been building since The Avengers. The mistake DC made was starting the franchise off with a deeply emotional conflict without the characters having an emotional investment. Think about the Dark Knight Returns comic when Batman and Superman fight its an older version of both characters with tons history making the fight a more visceral experience for the audience. BvS should have been a Batman movie titled Dawn of Justice with Batman investigation of Lex Luther and entering an uneasy alliance with Superman to stop Luther and ultimately fighting Doomsday.

And I agree the font size was stupid.
Tdknght

Postby DukeTogo » May 11th, 2016 @ 1:07pm

I shouldn't be surprised, but I can hardly wrap my head around Higgins putting BvS above Civil War. It kind of seems like the defensiveness over BvS led him to underrate Civil War in a few areas. All of the plot bits in Civil War, including everything with Spider-Man, build and payoff in ways that the most of the first hour of BvS simply does not. Still, i really enjoyed the discussion and am excited to hear if Higgins changes his tune after a second viewing.

Spider-Man's inclusion in the movie shows that Tony, while often the smartest guy in the room, continues to make bad decisions. In this case, it's bringing a KID into a massive superhero battle. It also allows Spider-Man to plant seeds of doubt with his speech about how people who have power and don't do anything are part of the problem. Also, casting a visibly younger person as Spider-Man creates a contrast with the 30-50 year-olds who currently populate the MCU.

As for the CGI, it was a bit rough in a couple spots, but it never looked outright bad or cheap. I'm able to get past that since everything was so well conceived and designed, which I can't say about BvS.
DukeTogo

Postby paullam15 » May 12th, 2016 @ 1:34pm

Tdknght wrote:I love this podcast but I think you missed a few things on Civil War.

Tony seemed to me to recruit Spider-Man and lead him into that Cap-ish dialogue because Tony was looking for a Cap replacement. Tony needs Steve's righteousness to ground him and he was hoping Spider-Man would offer that. Also, remember that Tony and Steve are in fact friends who's entire relationship has had resentment simmering in the background.

And this movie was better that BvS because of that simmering resentment and we are invested in these characters because this conflict between Steve and Tony has been building since The Avengers. The mistake DC made was starting the franchise off with a deeply emotional conflict without the characters having an emotional investment. Think about the Dark Knight Returns comic when Batman and Superman fight its an older version of both characters with tons history making the fight a more visceral experience for the audience. BvS should have been a Batman movie titled Dawn of Justice with Batman investigation of Lex Luther and entering an uneasy alliance with Superman to stop Luther and ultimately fighting Doomsday.

And I agree the font size was stupid.
I completely agree with you regarding how important emotional investment with Cap and Tony is and why the hero vs hero concept works in Civil War and not BvS. If you have watched the Cap, Avengers and Iron Man movies you've built this emotional investment with these characters that you don't have with Snyder's incarnation of Batman or Superman. Without this emotional investment I don't care or feel anything when Superman is killed at the end of BvS. That is a huge problem if I'm suppose to care about this character, but don't. I'm emotionally invested in the whole conflict between Cap and Tony, It is like seeing your parents fight, and that's because you've invested some much into these characters over so many movies.

In response to Higgins not buying into Tony's reaction in the third act. Tony's reaction to the big reveal about his parents is justified and is in line with his character. Tony is still human no matter how much of a genius or futurist he is nothing can prepare someone with seeing your parents get brutally murdered by the man standing right next to you and compound that with the fact this his friend, Cap, knew and decided not to tell him. After Tony see's that video he isn't thinking because he is consumed with rage with what Bucky did. The whole point of the MIT young Tony scene was to show that Tony never did have closure over the death of his parents and so many years later is still a big sore spot in his life. As a human being if I was in Tony's shoes I'd probably react the same way.

I don't think there was any nefarious reason my Tony recruited Spider-man. He's been keeping an eye on him for a while and knew how strong this kid was. Tony needed to even the odds and Spider-man would give him an advantage over Caps team. Spider-man was able to take down Bucky and Falcon and go toe to toe with Cap and Giant Man.

I agree and understand the criticism with how convoluted and coincidental Zemo's plan came to be, but I did like the character's motivations. How Zemo's plan worked out did not bother me as much as some people.
paullam15

Postby Bakamanzz » May 28th, 2016 @ 2:30pm

On episode 262, yeah I got around the 40 minute mark then stopped with Bryce interrupting and yelling over everyone else, telling everyone not to interrupt him but constantly interrupting others... I'll just pass on this episode.
Bakamanzz

Postby LiQuid » May 28th, 2016 @ 10:03pm

Bryce haters sustain me.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » May 31st, 2016 @ 10:45pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 263 (2016-05-31)
This week, we discuss the store takeover, Ryan's European Vacation, and a proper DC Universe: Rebirth #1 conversation. Starring Ryan Higgins, Brian Ellison, Chris Noyes, Brock Sager, and Toby Sidler.
Running Time: 1h 48m 15s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby CeramicDragon » Jun 1st, 2016 @ 10:09pm

Hey, I love the podcast. I like how some guys like marvel and some (ryan) like DC. Get a little bit of both.

I can't stand the guy with the lisp. His voice is grating to my ears. I like what he says, but the voice! Arggggh.
CeramicDragon

Postby Toby » Jun 6th, 2016 @ 10:13am

Must be me, sorry! Plenty of people have voiced their discomfort with my voice, so nothing new.
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jun 6th, 2016 @ 10:35am

I honestly couldn't tell if he meant you or not. Also, Sakuragi has once again disappeared. Got to host that on imgur or something.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Toby » Jun 6th, 2016 @ 5:36pm

I'm pretty sure it is. I've been told to learn to speak, even been called that I have a speech impediment, but having a lisp - well that's a new one. lol

Honestly my personal friends get a big kick out of all the hate messages I get. They get very amused by it, so it makes someones day at least! =)

Ah yes, Sakuragi. He actually never made it back. I think you, or someone else was trying to host it for me even. I need to go back and check the messages. I really suck at social media in general. I'm making my way through the backlog on twitter right now.

I read everything, I'm just really bad at replying.

Any cool new anime these days? Hero academia or something? Sometimes I watch Naruto Ship on hulu, but man the problems I had towards the end of the just "naruto" show (with the dragon balling the eps) is sooooo in ship also. I wished someone would edit a Omnibus version so that I could watch everything w/out the repeating or unnecessary stuff. Cause I think there's only like 5-10 min of content in a 20 min ep.
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby kenzo » Jun 6th, 2016 @ 6:26pm

Toby wrote:I'm pretty sure it is. I've been told to learn to speak, even been called that I have a speech impediment, but having a lisp - well that's a new one. lol
The great thing about having a 'speech impediment' is that it probably helps you weed out who is and isn't worth your time. :lol: Anyone who tells you that is a POS and should probably be given a kick in the nuts. Especially since there's nothing actually wrong with how you talk.

Toby wrote:Any cool new anime these days? Hero academia or something?
My Hero Academia is a show everyone on the CC should be watching/reading. It's one giant, loving homage to American comicbook heroes. It's an easy recommendation for you guys. One Punch Man too; similar but a lot more hokey/doesn't take itself as seriously. OPM is basically, what if Superman was actually allowed to be OP and defeat everyone with one hit, and the show is about the hilarity and existential crises born from that ridiculousness. IMO, both of these are CC must-watch shows all you guys should be giving priority to watching, priority over whatever garbage-filth comic-show you guys religiously watch like Walking Dead or Agents of Shield. They do a better job of being about comic book heroes and adhering to the spirit of old Golden Age/Silver Age heroics than most modern stuff made by 'Western' folk.

Here's a few further pointless recommendations that I'll make despite the likelihood of you guys ever getting around to watching them being very very low:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - We're partway through Part 4, but you guys should start at the beginning. It's amazing, and it's kinda hard to encapsulate why. Higgins alone would cream his pants every episode with all the nonstop references to his favorite 80s music. It's half-DBZ, half-Fist of the North Star, half-Prince/Bowie. Seminal stuff, really.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - It's basically more Attack on Titan, and I know you guys loved that show so you'll love this one. It's made by the same people, and it's a similar story/scenario. Except instead of titans, they're essentially zombies. And instead of a European setting, it's a Japanese one. Really good stuff so far.

If you or anyone else on the CC watches any of these shows and hates them, I will personally drive down and buy you all pizzas and booze.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jun 6th, 2016 @ 6:35pm

I will second all of those shows.
CrossXhunteR

Postby CeramicDragon » Jun 7th, 2016 @ 9:22pm

Toby wrote:I'm pretty sure it is. I've been told to learn to speak, even been called that I have a speech impediment, but having a lisp - well that's a new one. lol

Honestly my personal friends get a big kick out of all the hate messages I get. They get very amused by it, so it makes someones day at least! =)

Is english your native language? If it isn't, that is why I can't understand you on the podcast. I need you to enunciate. Love the podcast. Thanks.
CeramicDragon

Postby kenzo » Jun 7th, 2016 @ 9:25pm

I've literally never had a problem understanding Toby. Maybe you should get more used to hearing people with accents, rather than trying to shame people for speaking poorly.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 7th, 2016 @ 10:38pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 264 (2016-06-07)
This week, we discuss the finale of Legends of Tomorrow, the Preacher pilot, Captain America #1, Diamond Comics sales charts for April 2016, the importance of swearing, JLA animated series, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice: Ultimate Edition, Rebirth sales, and being priced out of comics. Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 48m 49s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Toby » Jun 8th, 2016 @ 4:48pm

Kenzo/Cross

Thanks for the Anime list!!

My Hero Academia - Ok, really really excited about this one now, and it's on Hulu. I'll give it a shot.

One Punch Man - You know what, I actually tried first ep and it didn't click with w/ me. I know a ton of people love it. Maybe I'll revisit.

JoJo - JoJo's been around ever since I was a kid. I didn't get it or didn't like as a kid, I should give it a chance though.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - so funny, after reading your list I was thinking My Hero might be one I'll check out from your list. Cause (don't kill me) I never got into Titan. But since you so kindly linked everything, and thank you for that, I took a quick glance, and it might be something I'd like watch. So outta this list I'm definitely checking out My Hero Academia and Kabaneri - and I have access to amazon prime, so I'm good there. =)

Thanks for the list Kenzo!

I also recently got a hold of City Hunter the series, so I may revisit that one over the summer since the shows are off TV and bball is almost over.

CeramicDragon wrote:
Is english your native language? If it isn't, that is why I can't understand you on the podcast. I need you to enunciate. Love the podcast. Thanks.

It's my third, 4th if you count the Swiss dialect on its own. But yeah I'll keep trying.

kenzo wrote:
The great thing about having a 'speech impediment' is that it probably helps you weed out who is and isn't worth your time. :lol: Anyone who tells you that is a POS and should probably be given a kick in the nuts. Especially since there's nothing actually wrong with how you talk.

kenzo wrote:I've literally never had a problem understanding Toby. Maybe you should get more used to hearing people with accents, rather than trying to shame people for speaking poorly.

Appreciate it! :D And it's all good! When I'm tired or drunk it gets worse, my friends call it "talkin' toby".
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby kenzo » Jun 9th, 2016 @ 2:02am

Toby wrote:One Punch Man - You know what, I actually tried first ep and it didn't click with w/ me. I know a ton of people love it. Maybe I'll revisit.
I liked it from episode 1, but it does take a few episodes for the show to begin to find a rhythm and an identity. OPM is based on a comic, that's essentially a mangaka (the guy who did Eyeshield 21 IIRC) redrawing another comic from another mangaka. And that original comic started out as a really crude, silly webcomic that takes a while to actually build into something more coherent (imagine how different the first Homestar Runner web toons were versus the later stuff once that guy found his groove with Strongbad). So at first OPM is entirely nonsensical because of the baggage of its heritage, but after a few episodes it goes from being good to great. You don't need to rush to watch it or anything, or change your mind if you think it's not for you, but I just wanted to put that out there. It is also, far and away, the best Superman story in existence. OPM reads like a redemption of Superboy Prime.

Toby wrote:JoJo - JoJo's been around ever since I was a kid. I didn't get it or didn't like as a kid, I should give it a chance though.
JoJo is amazing, and I can't stress how amazing it is. I think it's easier to appreciate as an adult. But it's basically a throwback to everything that you and I grew up loving about anime/manga, and every moment drips with zany people/exploits. And the battles... soooooo good. Most anime battles boil down to who can hit the hardest, or for the longest, and they're really overdrawn and boring. And often the MC wins because of plot-armor, or pulling a new stupid secret power out of his ass... and that almost never happens in JoJo. Characters win with guile and smarts and using their environment. Almost no battle feels like an ass-pull, and a victory happens because the characters truly earn it. And the pacing is outstanding. Since this is going back in time and adapting decades old source material, there isn't the Naruto or Bleach problems of having to draw things out in fear of running out of source material to adapt, so every battle ends in an episode or less. JoJo is THE gold standard, IMO, for how battles should happen in anime. They're just so inventive, and concise, and smart. I don't want to be too insistent, but if you enjoy watching dudes punch things in your anime and being bad ass, you owe it to yourself to watch JoJo. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. JoJo is a miracle of the universe, and it's just amazing that we've gotten a show made for it after all this time.

Toby wrote:Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - so funny, after reading your list I was thinking My Hero might be one I'll check out from your list. Cause (don't kill me) I never got into Titan.
I liked AoT, but I think it's a vastly overrated show with a lot of problems, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone for not being able to get into it. Kabaneri is so far, a much more improved version of AoT without any of its problems or baggage.

Toby wrote:I also recently got a hold of City Hunter the series, so I may revisit that one over the summer since the shows are off TV and bball is almost over.
I actually quite recently finished watching all of City Hunter. It's a BIG time investment. There's some 150+ episodes, as well as a few movies for good measure. I loved City Hunter, but it's very YMMV. It's very formulaic. I never got tired of the formula, because I enjoyed the characters and the banter and the old 80s animation, but I can see it wearing thin. Every episode begins with Kaori nagging Ryo for some reason (being lazy, not bringing in enough work, or generally being a skeezy molester), Ryo tries to hit on some random girl who turns out to have a life or death problem that needs fixing, and Ryo spends a good 15 minutes trying to molest this new girl until the bad guy shows up - and when he does Ryo dispatches the guy with one bullet because he's literally Jesus with a revolver. There's an underlying plot and character development in the series, but it creeps along very slowly and most of the time it's conundrum-of-the-week filler episodes. I really liked City Hunter (Ryo is what I imagine Omar to be like, just even more cartoonish) but I just wanted you to have grounded expectations for this one. Also, I would avoid showing the show to say, any girlfriend, or someone with sensitive modern sensibilities, because it can be pretty regressive with regards to how Ryo treats women, or how his casual rapeyness is just continually shrugged off as nbd when Ryo should be in jail at this point for being a serial molester. :lol:
kenzo

Postby Walzo » Jun 9th, 2016 @ 7:03pm

Arrow Season 4 was one of the worst things I've ever watched, to the point that I had to stop watching because I was dumbfounded by what the writers were thinking. I had to stop watching it was so bad.

Also thank you Kenzo, I will be watching Hero Academia now.
Walzo

Postby totoro » Jun 10th, 2016 @ 10:40am

Toby wrote:It's my third, 4th if you count the Swiss dialect on its own. But yeah I'll keep trying.

I would have never guessed, honestly. You've always sounded like a native English speaker to me. Don't let the bastards get you down.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro

Postby kenzo » Jun 10th, 2016 @ 11:24am

I agree Walzo, Arrow (and Flash) have been abysmal this season. Also, hi buddo! I miss chattin with you. You ever get that microphone issue sorted out?
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 14th, 2016 @ 11:23pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 265 (2016-06-14)
This week, we discuss E3, some amazing gifts, May 2016 sales charts, The Flash Season 2 finale, X-Men: Apocalypse. Starring Ryan Higgins, Ryan Hess, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, and Toby Sidler.
Running Time: 1h 44m 31s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 22nd, 2016 @ 10:16pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 267 (2016-06-28)
This week, we discuss DC Comics Rebirth: Month One, including Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, The Flash, and Titans. Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 58m 25s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Lombaszko » Jun 29th, 2016 @ 8:52am

I brought a big stack of Rebirth #1s to read during lunch so I can listen to this on my way home. Really can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts!
Lombaszko

Postby Allstarmatches » Jun 29th, 2016 @ 11:49am

Great show as always, guys - I do feel the need to defend the "dead cat" remark which was met with such derision. Some of that was just Twitter shorthand and/or my sad attempts at being clever. I actually hate cats so another dead one is hardly reason for outrage.

There's no anger or venom involved here. I don't care for the Superman title. I don't like the setup of Clark & Lois not living in Metropolis - I know Superman can get anywhere but not having Metropolis as their home base feels wrong. I agree that pre-52 Superman "sounds" like the real deal, but IMO Lois doesn't feel right at all. She's always been a city mouse, putting her on a farm 300 miles from Metropolis doesn't work for me at all. Jon seems ok but I think Tomasi and Gleason are repeating the same beats they had for Damian Wayne and I never much liked their take on Damian. (The B&R book was really good during the time Damian was dead though.). Much of this is personal preference - Superman is a perfectly professional comic - it just doesn't speak to me even as a parent. I have enjoyed Action more, in part because it leans into the whole "WTF-ness" of this current convoluted setup.

So to sum up, "dead cat". :D
Allstarmatches

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 5th, 2016 @ 9:40pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 268 (2016-07-05)
This week, we discuss the Champions, Great Lakes Avengers, our exclusive Harley Quinn store cover, crossover mini-series, the best Darkseid stories, Identity Crisis, Marvel’s Mosiac, Berserk, CW on Netflix, and Ryan Ray-nolds. Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West
Running Time: 1h 05m 31s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 12th, 2016 @ 11:24pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 269 (2016-07-12)
This week, we discuss the June 2016 Diamond sales charts, as well as the most recent Marvel #1 issues, including Civil War 2 #1. Starring Ryan Higgins, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 2h 14m 41s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Allstarmatches » Jul 13th, 2016 @ 11:06am

Why Sharon Carter is old:

Cap was stranded in Dimension Z during Remender's first arc. At the end of that story Sharon comes to Dimension Z to rescue him, apparently killing Cap's "son" Ian. Sharon was apparently killed at the end of that story as well, and did not return to Earth with Cap.

Near the end of Remender's run, it was revealed that Sharon survived and was stuck in Dimension Z. She became a mother to Ian and returned to Earth when Ian did. Because time passes differently in Dimension Z, Sharon had aged. Unlike Cap, she never got de-aged, so she's still old.
Allstarmatches

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jul 13th, 2016 @ 11:29am

Ta-Nehisi Coates: I believe it's pronounced tah-na-HAH-see. But I could be wrong.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 19th, 2016 @ 9:51pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 270 (2016-07-19)
This week, we discuss San Diego Comic-Con hopes, more DCTV rumors, Marvel Now: Divided We Stand, Valiant, and topical comics. Starring Ryan Higgins, Jim Jokisch, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 25m 23s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics