Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Jul 21st, 2016 @ 1:51am

Higgins, I have a question for you if you should choose to entertain it. How do you order your comic book shelves at the store?

I walked into both of my LCSes this last week for the first time in ages and noted how they ordered their single issues and found it baffling. One store divided by publisher (a section for Marvel, a separate section for DC, a separate section for the indies) which seemed fine but made it hard to find the new issues that came out that week, and fuck you if you wanted an issue from a month ago. The other store shoved the comics towards the back of the store, so it wasn't the first thing you saw when you walked in. And that store had all of its single issues organized on the shelf alphabetically, independent of publisher or line (I went in looking for Nightwing and Grayson; comics that were 20 feet away from each other on the shelves; wouldn't you want to stick the Bat-Family comics all near each other?) all jumbled together. There were little tags noting what was new and not new like a sale-tag you saw at a super market, but if I was a regular customer, wouldn't it be better to have all of that week's new issues pulled aside and also front and center?

I dunno, I'm sure both these places had their reasons, be it inventory management or that single issue comics weren't as important to their bottom line. But still, it left me perplexed and curious how you guys do it.

Fake edit: And I know you guys have described your system in the past but that was probably years ago that I listened to it.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jul 21st, 2016 @ 9:41am

I think my LCS does it publisher first and then mostly alphabetically. Trying to group comics by what "family" or group they are in would be too tricky because those lines get way too blurry.
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jul 21st, 2016 @ 11:05am

My LCS puts the week's new issues in the middle-back of the store, but it's clearly labeled "THIS WEEK'S COMICS." I've always assumed this was so you had to walk into and through the store to get to them, and not just hang around out front (the other LCS I go to from time to time does the same thing). From there, major DC and Marvel books, both recent back issues and trades, are grouped and organized by title, so all Bat-family books (Batman, Nightwing/Grayson, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, etc.) are in one spot, so are all Superman -related titles, Spider-Man/Woman/Gwen/etc., Justice League, Avengers, and so on. All remaining recent back issues from all publishrs are then organized alphabetically, and trades are organized by publisher- non-major DC and Marvel, Image, Veritgo, and Other (Boom, Dark Horse, IDW, Valliant, etc.). Thee are also some smaller displays for recent big events (like Rebirth and Civil War II), and properties on TV (like Green Arrow, Flash, Alias, Daredevil) and in movies (like Deadpool, Guardians, Black Panther, Thor).

This system seems to work out okay. It makes sense to regular customers, and while it may be tricky for new/infrequent ones, those people are probably gonna ask for help finding stuff anyway, so they find what they need either way.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby kenzo » Jul 21st, 2016 @ 11:33am

I can see organizing by family being trickier for indie titles or Marvel (isn't everything X-Men, Avengers, then everything else at this point?), but it's super easy with DC, since DC does the organizing/delineation into families themselves.

I've never run a store so I can only speculate and make uninformed guesses about how to best organize a store. But it seems counterintuitive to put the new issues farther away from the entrance, forcing people to look through other things first to get to them. If I'm buying brand new single issues, I'm probably a regular or potentially a new regular, and I don't really need to look through stuff I've seen already a million times. I'd think that I'd want to provide the most convenience for my regulars to keep them satisfied and thus loyal. The only reason I could see this not being the case is if single issues weren't your biggest priority, or if the layout of your store made it tricky to keep those things in the front. Like, you're trying to avoid congestion of the entryway or the cash register area.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 22nd, 2016 @ 1:17pm

We have a New Release wall and Current Issue wall. They're right next to each other with a break in-between. Current goes from the front of the store along the side wall, with the New Release after it at the back of the store. It's the "put milk and eggs in the back of the supermarket" mentality. We used to have new comics in the front years ago, and 90% of my Wednesday customers wouldn't walk more than 10 feet into the store. After we changed it, we saw a huge uptick in time customers spent in the shop looking at things, and most importantly, buying things.

New Release are sorted by:
Top Shelf: Trade Paperbacks (Marvel) | Trade Paperbacks (indie) | Trade Paperbacks (DC/Vertigo), all alphabetical
Shelves 2-4 (sometimes 5): Marvel | DC / Vertigo, all alphabetical by title
Shelves 5-6: Indie, alphabetical

With new releases, a lot of people have lists, so Action goes under A, New Avengers under N, etc.

Current Issues are sorted by:
Marvel/Star Wars | DC/Vertigo | Indie

The current issues are sorted by character, so the top shelves right now are:

Marvel: A-Force, Agents of Shield, Astonishing Ant-Man, All-New All-Different Avengers, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers

DC is a bit messed up because of Rebirth, but it's Rebirth, Aquaman, Batman, Detective Comics, Flash, etc...

Back issue bins are mostly pure alphabetical, but if a series is big enough, like New Avengers, it gets it's own spot outside of Avengers. All the "All-New" shit is just under the base title in chronological order with each new series getting a new tag and start year.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 22nd, 2016 @ 1:26pm

Many stores claim that putting the new releases with the older stock increases sales of older material, but I'm very much against it and think it adds a crazy level of not only confusion, but also insane levels of shifting inventory every week for new comics. Maybe if you only get 1-2 shelf copies of anything it's no big deal, but I get anywhere from 5-10 copies to 100+ shelf copies of some comics. No chance in hell I'd be able to, nor want, to shift every comic in the store for that.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 22nd, 2016 @ 1:47pm

Here's part of our Current Issue wall.

Lots of indie comics, there's some overlap but I try and keep them as organized and well-sorted as possible. Unlike nearly every other store I've ever gone to. :o

New Comic wall, sold out of a handful things since Wednesday. There's lots of exposed piping in the store, so we've worked around it and used it to label sections. Our tpbs used to be there, back when it was one shelf! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Example of alphabetical by character and family.

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 22nd, 2016 @ 5:19pm

This is what I thought of when Kenzo first started talking to me about this.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 22nd, 2016 @ 7:43pm

Holy shit that video is 6 years old!
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jul 23rd, 2016 @ 9:37pm

Higgins, you're a champ. Way bigger/better answer than I could have ever hoped. I hadn't considered the dairy-aisle argument. I dunno if I agree with it, but that's probably why I don't run a store. I definitely wouldn't want people congregating in areas right next to the front door or the cash register though.

Your single issue shelves blow the pants off my LCSes, btw. Just eyeballing it, you're dealing in at least 4x the volume my shops do, and got a lot more variety. I went into one of my shops looking to walk out with some Green Lantern. They had only one GL series on the shelves, and a single trade available to purchase. It was definitely disheartening. I like your system of grouping by hero. Would that mean you put Grayson right next to Nightwing this last month?

One last question: when people buy single issues from you, do you just throw them in a bag then and there at the register? I know you take them out of the polybags, but do you bag & board them at the register? Both my LCSes do that, and I found that odd, but charming. Is that normal, or have I just been that long out of the game?
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 24th, 2016 @ 5:17pm

kenzo wrote:Higgins, you're a champ. Way bigger/better answer than I could have ever hoped. I hadn't considered the dairy-aisle argument. I dunno if I agree with it, but that's probably why I don't run a store. I definitely wouldn't want people congregating in areas right next to the front door or the cash register though.

Your single issue shelves blow the pants off my LCSes, btw. Just eyeballing it, you're dealing in at least 4x the volume my shops do, and got a lot more variety. I went into one of my shops looking to walk out with some Green Lantern. They had only one GL series on the shelves, and a single trade available to purchase. It was definitely disheartening. I like your system of grouping by hero. Would that mean you put Grayson right next to Nightwing this last month?

One last question: when people buy single issues from you, do you just throw them in a bag then and there at the register? I know you take them out of the polybags, but do you bag & board them at the register? Both my LCSes do that, and I found that odd, but charming. Is that normal, or have I just been that long out of the game?

Well, we've been slowly shifting out the New 52 stuff, so all Rebirth is together. By the time September is over, it'll only be Rebirth.

As for bags & boards, nothing comes that way. Nothing comes in a bag. I bag and board them at the register if the customer wants them (it's 25-cents for walk-in, 15-cents for subscribers). We bag and board all our subs because 1) we want to keep them in good shape in the boxes and 2) 90% of my subs want them, so it's easier to just unbag a few.

[edit] Realized I put two of the same image before. THIS is our new release wall after a few days:

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 27th, 2016 @ 11:16pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 271 (2016-07-26)
This week, we discuss Batman: The Killing Joke, San Diego Comic-Con 2016, LineCon, Legion, Power Man & Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, WB releasing all the trailers, Wonder Woman, and Justice League. Starring Ryan Higgins, Jim Jokisch, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, Lane Terasaki, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 14m 57s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 2nd, 2016 @ 10:13pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 272 (2016-08-02)
This week, we discuss HOA’s, buying comic collections, early Suicide Squad reviews, chronic depression, how Valiant ended, GenCon, a new Marvel vs DC event, and other listener questions. Starring Ryan Higgins and Toby Sidler.
Running Time: 1h 14m 10s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Lombaszko » Aug 5th, 2016 @ 7:22am

Man, screw all these Rotten Tomato scores and the threads on other forums with people bitching. It's awful and hard to not notice. I've been excited to see Suicide Squad but when I see this negative feedback I start to question if I should go see it or not because of this hive mind mentality. I have to tell myself to ignore it. I'm a DC fan, I love the characters and want to support them. I shouldn't feel bad about being excited because other people aren't. I also think some of these reviewers go into a movie under the assumption it's going to be a 10/10 and work their way down from there, where I've always looked at it like every movie is a blank slate and I'll judge it on it's own.
It's a movie where there's a crocodile man and a guy who can shoot fire. This isn't going to be an art house picture. I believe it's supposed to be a fun, popcorn movie. Not everything has to be a deconstruction of the genre or profound cinematic experience. It's a movie. I like movies. Fuck the noise, I can't wait to see this on Sunday.

Also, really enjoyed the Ryan/Toby cast. Always like hearing Toby's perspective on things, easier to do when there are less people recording!
Lombaszko

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 5th, 2016 @ 9:04am

I wonder how much Toby gets interrupted on a podcast when the only other person is Higgins.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 5th, 2016 @ 9:28am

CrossXhunteR wrote:I wonder how much Toby gets interrupted on a podcast when the only other person is Higgins.

Not as often, I can't get away with it as much :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby slinkdickens » Aug 9th, 2016 @ 2:36pm

Lombaszko wrote:Man, screw all these Rotten Tomato scores and the threads on other forums with people bitching. It's awful and hard to not notice. I've been excited to see Suicide Squad but when I see this negative feedback I start to question if I should go see it or not because of this hive mind mentality. I have to tell myself to ignore it. I'm a DC fan, I love the characters and want to support them. I shouldn't feel bad about being excited because other people aren't. I also think some of these reviewers go into a movie under the assumption it's going to be a 10/10 and work their way down from there, where I've always looked at it like every movie is a blank slate and I'll judge it on it's own.
It's a movie where there's a crocodile man and a guy who can shoot fire. This isn't going to be an art house picture. I believe it's supposed to be a fun, popcorn movie. Not everything has to be a deconstruction of the genre or profound cinematic experience. It's a movie. I like movies. Fuck the noise, I can't wait to see this on Sunday.

Unless you can't afford the ticket price and the 2 hours, why not watch a movie you've been looking forward to? You have to at least see for yourself if it's bad, right?

I also think that as comic fans we do ourselves a disservice if we collectively give a pass on a bad movie because it's supposed to be a "fun, popcorn" movie. If the movie is shallow and also not fun, then it's not a "fun, popcorn" movie.

Modern movie critics aren't movie snobs (in large part, we can thank Roger Ebert for that). They get paid to judge a movie for what it is and their ability to articulate that judgement. The only real difference between them and most people is that they'll bother to sit down and write several paragraphs on their thoughts rather than just say, "that movie was cool" or "that movie was bad". Once you start attaching non existent reasons as to why some score isn't what you expect (like they have an assumption that a movie is supposed to be an art house movie), you enter a realm of irrational loyalty to something that doesn't deserve it. Don't give that fandom away. Demand better.
slinkdickens

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 9th, 2016 @ 3:18pm

I don't understand how anyone could call the movie bad. It may have not been good, but bad isn't the only other option for those people.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Aug 9th, 2016 @ 4:23pm

I don't consider the film bad. I can understand someone saying it's bad, but I'd like them to articulate their opinion in a way that makes clear why they disliked it and in a way that makes sense rather than hating it for irrational reasons.
kenzo

Postby Lombaszko » Aug 10th, 2016 @ 7:26am

slinkdickens wrote:Unless you can't afford the ticket price and the 2 hours, why not watch a movie you've been looking forward to? You have to at least see for yourself if it's bad, right?

I also think that as comic fans we do ourselves a disservice if we collectively give a pass on a bad movie because it's supposed to be a "fun, popcorn" movie. If the movie is shallow and also not fun, then it's not a "fun, popcorn" movie.

Modern movie critics aren't movie snobs (in large part, we can thank Roger Ebert for that). They get paid to judge a movie for what it is and their ability to articulate that judgement. The only real difference between them and most people is that they'll bother to sit down and write several paragraphs on their thoughts rather than just say, "that movie was cool" or "that movie was bad". Once you start attaching non existent reasons as to why some score isn't what you expect (like they have an assumption that a movie is supposed to be an art house movie), you enter a realm of irrational loyalty to something that doesn't deserve it. Don't give that fandom away. Demand better.

Good points. Goes both ways, can't be afraid to call something out even if you're a fan in general and can't let others decide for you. It's tough for me because it takes a lot of effort to get out to the movies because of work, kids and lack of friends to go with. It's almost like I need a little bit of validation before I commit to something. Reviews and Twitter opinions are places for quick validation.

That being said, I'm so glad I saw Suicide Squad! 9:00pm showing on Monday, sold out theatre. I hope it's got some legs.
Lombaszko

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 16th, 2016 @ 11:41pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 273 (2016-08-16)
This week, we discuss Suicide Squad, as well as the July 2016 Diamond Comics sales charts, and answer some listener questions. Starring Ryan Higgins, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 2h 29m 03s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 11:38pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 274 (2016-08-23)
This week, we discuss the Breaking of Bryce, behind the scenes with Suicide Squad, the “David Ayers Cut”, top secret binders, end of Invincible, Rebirth reviews, and some listener questions. Starring Ryan Higgins, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, Kevin Sharp, Toby Sidler, Julian Titus, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 38m 25s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Lombaszko » Aug 25th, 2016 @ 6:48am

I'm still confused why some folks don't buy into the plot. Am I understanding these things wrong?
SPOILERS FOR SUICIDE SQUAD

- Waller gives the "Superman White House" example to the military higher ups. She's a saleswoman at this point, obviously the President would be toast but it paints this really dramatic picture as to why she needs the authorization to create a team. She's not literally saying the Squad could prevent that but she's manipulating her superiors to get what she wants.

- When the Enchantress becomes a threat it's the military superiors who decide to make Task Force X active. Mostly due to the fact Waller just sold them on the idea she has meta-humans who can deal with other meta-humans. There is also a line spoken that says up to this point, the military force hasn't been effective against the threat. It's reasonable to think that a general seeing a meta-human going nuts would be like, "Meta-human huh? Where have I heard that before... oh shit! We just heard Waller talk about how she had people to deal with this. Send 'em out!" Once Waller has approval, she can delegate the mission however she wants. She chooses to have them rescue her because the mud men are sent out by Enchantress to capture her. Enchantress hates Waller. At the same time, Enchantress knows Flagg has information that would help her get revenge. She probably doesn't like Flagg either because he's trying to keep her in check because he loves June.

- Some folks criticize the Squad for being sent up against this big, world ending threat. I don't really see Enchantress as that. She talks about how she hates that people worship technology now-a-days, she makes threats to destroy it all but when she's powered up enough she immediately goes after Waller and then when she gets her she targets government intelligence facilities. She's just lashing out at her captors, Waller and the government. The only reason the Squad decides to take her down is because Flagg, at the end of his rope, pleaded with them about how much he loves June and wants her back. For me, it's actually a very small, very personal conflict.

- Reasons for the Squad being chosen. Aside from the obvious, as Higgins said "Because they are on the Squad", I think they gave enough justification for every character to be there.

- Flagg: Has experience with black ops, meta-humans.
- Harley: She fucks up trained guards in prison constantly, expert in melee combat. Plus, I think her and Flagg have similar characteristics. Both are in love with someone who's got some serious issues and no matter what they do to them they will be loyal. She's a soldier for the Joker and I think Waller sees that and knows she can be manipulated by her as well. She's probably the least qualified on paper when you got a dude that can shoot fire but I think it still works having her be a part of the team.
- El Diablo: Fire powers, obviously. I do wonder if Waller knew he could transform into the Mayan Demon?
- Killer Croc: Super strong, water-ops.
- Deadshot: When he takes out those mud men, you understand why he would be on the team.
- Boomerang: He's robbed every bank in Australia. It's clear he's very good at breaking into things. People forget he used his surveillance boomerang to calculate what they were dealing with. Also, nobody has mentioned he was stealing diamonds with a DUST BUSTER! That was my favorite part of the movie.
- Slipknot: To get killed... But also, he can climb anything and with someone that needs rescuing in a skyscraper Ropeguy might be useful.
- Katana: They explicitly say she's there to protect Flagg.

For me, every character has a motivation and reason. While I do agree with Kevin and Toby that there could have been better motivations, maybe matching the comics more closely, I still found it enjoyable and nothing stood out.

Also, we're starting to build a very nice roster for the eventual Blackest Night movie! El Diablo, Slipknot, Zod, whatever Robin that was dead in BvS.
Lombaszko

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 30th, 2016 @ 10:27pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 275 (2016-08-30)
This week, we discuss the potential New Warriors tv show, Heroes & Villains FanFest, DC Comics Rebirth reviews for July, listener questions, and a special cameo by Byrce Larsen! Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, and Toby Sidler.
Running Time: 1h 52m 03s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 6th, 2016 @ 10:42pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 276 (2016-09-06)
This week, we discuss Joker Duck, Rebirth sales, Justice League vs Suicide Squad, Green Lanterns delays, potential Legion creators, Monsters Unleashed, ResurreXiOn, Flintstones, and listener questions. Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and a soucent of Bryce Larsen.
Running Time: 1h 28m 39s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 13th, 2016 @ 10:21pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 277 (2016-09-13)
This week, we discuss Uncanny Marvel, Civil War II crossovers, event delays, the worst clickbait tease we've ever done, Death of Hawkman, Champions #1 sales, Ghost Rider, Black Lightning, and listener questions. Starring Ryan Higgins, Jim Jokisch, Bryce Larsen, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 20m 54s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 20th, 2016 @ 9:54pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 278 (2016-09-20)
This week, we discuss DJing, August 2016 Diamond Comics sales charts, USAvengers, (She-)Hulk, what is Clone Conspiracy, Everybody Hates Dan Slott, and listener questions. Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 22m 17s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 27th, 2016 @ 10:52pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 279 (2016-09-27)
This week it’s an accidental TV/Movie Conspiracy, as we discuss RSS feeds, Nightwatch, The Tick picked up by Amazon, Cyborg in Flash, Deathstroke on Arrow, our next sale, Supergirl previews, Luke Cage, and answer listener questions. Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 15m 15s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jw_6179 » Sep 28th, 2016 @ 6:24am

Nightman was complete garbage, but the Manimal crossover episode was amazing. Manimal was just charming. If only they could have worked Automan in to a three-way episode, it'd have made the existance of Nightman worth it.

Alas, Nightman is putrid.
jw_6179

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 4th, 2016 @ 10:58pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy: Episode 280 (2016-10-04)
This week, we discuss Bryce hating our favorite characters, the return of Wildstorm, Kamandi Challenge, new Justice League of America members, Luke Cage (no spoilers), listener questions, and why you need to buy Marvel Comics titles this week. Starring Ryan Higgins, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 29m 17s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics