Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » May 19th, 2015 @ 9:57pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 210 (2015-05-19)
This week, we discuss Secret Wars #2, the worst marketing in comics ever, Thor #8, Uncanny X-Men #600 delays, 8 Months Later, the Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow trailers, and the Arrow finale. Starring Ryan Higgins, Jim Jokisch, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 20m 22s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » May 19th, 2015 @ 9:59pm

Since I'm 5 months behind, please tell me Higgins that you guys were freaking out at them going to Coast City in next season's Arrow. WE GREEN LANTERN BABY
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 20th, 2015 @ 8:59am

Toby, I'm catching up on a few episode and I hear you did some drawings on FCBD. Do you have an photos of them?
CrossXhunteR

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 21st, 2015 @ 2:46am

I love how bitter Higgins is towards Archie and Kickstarter.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Master Higgins » May 21st, 2015 @ 8:22am

CrossXhunteR wrote:I love how bitter Higgins is towards Archie and Kickstarter.

Eh, not bitter really, just confused. There's little reason to do it. Their deal for the digests at Walmart and Target doesn't really bother me, not many stores carry them anymore, but the comics by big-name creators make them more money in comic stores than they'd get from Kickstarter, even if they hit their goal. The backlash from retailers having the product second would cause us to slash our orders to almost nothing.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 21st, 2015 @ 8:37am

Can you not still acquire copies to sell at the store? They are just shifting more risk away from themselves, and potentially onto the stores if they want to play ball. You repeatedly said that they would make more money selling in shops, but you don't know that. Going that route, they have to pony up the money up front to pay the creators and get in in to stores, something that might not make financial sense for them at the time. With Kickstarter, they can guarantee the money upfront to pay the creators and get the books to the paying audience with much less risk. The "backlash from retailers" just seems like retailers being vindictive assholes because they weren't able to make as much money. I understand it is a business solely focused on making money/not risking money, but that also applies to the creators of the books, not just the stores were they could be sold.
CrossXhunteR

Postby pacino » May 21st, 2015 @ 8:38am

it just amazes me how biased against Marvel the podcast is
pacino

Postby Master Higgins » May 21st, 2015 @ 8:44am

CrossXhunteR wrote:Can you not still acquire copies to sell at the store? They are just shifting more risk away from themselves, and potentially onto the stores if they want to play ball. You repeatedly said that they would make more money selling in shops, but you don't know that. Going that route, they have to pony up the money up front to pay the creators and get in in to stores, something that might not make financial sense for them at the time. With Kickstarter, they can guarantee the money upfront to pay the creators and get the books to the paying audience with much less risk. The "backlash from retailers" just seems like retailers being vindictive assholes because they weren't able to make as much money. I understand it is a business solely focused on making money/not risking money, but that also applies to the creators of the books, not just the stores were they could be sold.

Their reasoning behind it was because they had to pay out extra money for the product for the Target/Walmart deal, so they couldn't afford to pay for these books without the Kickstarter. $350k for 6 issues each (12 total), minus KS fees, minus all the high-end reward tiers, maybe they'd pocket $280k? I'd assume, at a minimum they'd sell on average 25k copies per issue in the direct market (#1, especially on B&V, would sell way way way more, so even if they drop, still averages out), that's north of $500k wholesale. They can still sell off these "variants", as they were calling the KS covers, and make even more.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » May 21st, 2015 @ 8:45am

pacino wrote:it just amazes me how biased against Marvel the podcast is

...Bryce?
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » May 21st, 2015 @ 9:07am

Master Higgins wrote:
pacino wrote:it just amazes me how biased against Marvel the podcast is

...Bryce?

No, dude, literally anybody that listens would notice it. After all these years you guys are still just as biased as ever. Bryce's bias in the other direction kind of offsets it now at least.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » May 21st, 2015 @ 7:35pm

Is Higgins complaining in last weeks episode that creators are skipping the publisher/retailer system to directly sell their comics to fans via kickstarter????
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » May 21st, 2015 @ 7:38pm

This entire conversation is fucking hysterical. Higgins is going to pull Archie comics from his shop because they are crowdsourcing one book? I don't even get what the problem is.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » May 21st, 2015 @ 7:38pm

Higgins you are a weapons grade fucking retard.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » May 21st, 2015 @ 7:40pm

HIGGINS YOU ARE ARGUING AGAINST EVEN ATTEMPTING TO SELL A COMIC BOOK IN A SHOP THAT IS NOT A DEDICATED COMIC SHOP. I KNOW THIS IS YOUR LIVELIHOOD AT STAKE HERE BUT PLEASE GIVE PEACE A CHANCE!
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » May 21st, 2015 @ 7:55pm

This thing was never going to get funded anyways.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2094312/archie ... the-books/
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » May 22nd, 2015 @ 4:00pm

LiQuid wrote:This entire conversation is fucking hysterical. Higgins is going to pull Archie comics from his shop because they are crowdsourcing one book? I don't even get what the problem is.

I didn't say that, did I?

They're crowdsourcing 6 issues each of 2 series by high-profile creators. The audience for Archie is pretty limited, but these books could do well. Since they were offering basically variant covers, many people who would buy them would get them through the KS, leading to potentially limited sales in-store. I wouldn't order nearly as many as I would have had there not be crowdfunding versions out there.

Perfect example is Girl Genius by Phil Foglio. I'd sell 8-10 copies of the books when they came out once a year. He turned to KS and suddenly sales drop to 2 copies. Long-time subscribers all went to KS first and got them. I cut orders to 2, and will never stock the book again, because the vast majority of customers will just buy direct. This leads to him having to basically do this forever, because I won't support the book in-store.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » May 22nd, 2015 @ 4:02pm

LiQuid wrote:HIGGINS YOU ARE ARGUING AGAINST EVEN ATTEMPTING TO SELL A COMIC BOOK IN A SHOP THAT IS NOT A DEDICATED COMIC SHOP. I KNOW THIS IS YOUR LIVELIHOOD AT STAKE HERE BUT PLEASE GIVE PEACE A CHANCE!

I'm fine with Walmart/Target getting Archie digests, but not at the cost of losing the comics that I actually could have sold.

Mighty No 9? Was never going to be made by any company. Fucking Betty & Veronica by Adam Hughes? Every comic store in the country would bend over backwards to carry that.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » May 22nd, 2015 @ 5:57pm

Comics' lack of availability in locations that aren't dedicated comic retailers is such a huge part of the reason people don't give a shit about them anymore. We need spinner racks at the corner bodega again. Would help if they didn't cost so fucking much too. Get the kids back into it.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 22nd, 2015 @ 6:49pm

I bet Liquid remembers back during the War when he could pick up a comic for a nickel and buy the local whore's time with his leftover quarter.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Master Higgins » May 26th, 2015 @ 10:40pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 211 (2015-05-26)
This week, we discuss FanimeCon 2015, the Flash Season One finale, the Lord Mesa art print giveaway, and answer listener questions about Secret Wars tie-ins, our picks for the next CW DC Comics television show, major changes that stuck around, and a lot more! Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, Charlie West, and a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo by Ryan Scott.
Running Time: 1h 28m 42s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Toby » May 27th, 2015 @ 1:30am

Well I'm dumb and don't know how to post a pic here. So I'll have Master Higgins post the Mini-Prints give away flyer here tomorrow. Name your favorite scene from the Arrow/Flash universe, and the each CC host will pick 4 favorites. (I posted 2 on FB and Twitter but my count was wrong then.) If you want Bryce's pick you may have to hate the show lol. Giving away 5 here, 5 on my twitter, and 10 on Geekbox/CC's FB.

CrossXhunter - Ha you don't wanna see em man. I can honestly say they were pretty bad. I felt bad for the people ended up with pieces from me lol! Made some kids happy w/ some "flatter" characters though, so I did at least something right =)
Last edited by Toby on May 27th, 2015 @ 12:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 27th, 2015 @ 3:18am

My favorite scene from the shows is Barry's first confrontation with the Reverse Flash, around Christmas. Starting with RF just watching Barry, into a chase through the streets, leading to the fight in the stadium. It was the shows first introduction to the Reverse Flash, showing how great of a threat he is. It has probably my favorite line from the shows during their confrontation.
Reverse Flash wrote:We've been at this a long time, you and I, but I'm always one step ahead. It is your destiny to lose to me, Flash, just as it was your mother's destiny to die that night.
CrossXhunteR

Postby slinkdickens » May 27th, 2015 @ 6:00pm

I really feel like this podcast suffers from the host having not watched Daredevil. We've had back to back to back discussions on a movie that was fine (Avengers 2) but just did more of the same. Meanwhile, Daredevil is arguably the best comic book based video thing to happen this year and it gets hardly any discussion because Ryan and a few others haven't seen it yet.

I worry that by the time they do watch it, they will consider it too old to talk about when it deserves a spoilery podcast discussion of its own. Its certainly more deserving than Avengers 2 was. How do we have a whole podcast on Star Wars/Batman v Superman trailers and nothing substantial on Daredevil?

I'm not just ranting to be a dick. I'm a fan of this podcast and I wouldn't listen to it unless I was interested in hearing the regulars' opinions on comic book stuff. So, I've been waiting to hear an opinion on what I consider the best TV adaptation of a comic superhero I've ever seen. It kind of makes it feel like the podcast isn't able to stay relevant, which is a shame.
slinkdickens

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 27th, 2015 @ 6:38pm

Daredevil is long as fuck. All of those other things you listed are really short.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » May 27th, 2015 @ 7:11pm

Does Daredevil get better in the 2nd half? I watched 6 episodes over the last day and it's like Arrow with all fun removed. Do people that love it only compare it to the Affleck DD or all modern comic properties in general?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » May 27th, 2015 @ 7:21pm

Hole up a second, I think Zatoichi might have just showed up. This might get alright.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » May 27th, 2015 @ 9:02pm

For me, it's just hard finding time to watch it with Leann, who's enjoying it. We're almost done, got I think 4 episode left. We actually talked about really needing to push through and talk about it, so probably not next week (because I'm gone all weekend [yes, to Disneyland]), but the week after, for sure.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby slinkdickens » May 28th, 2015 @ 2:41pm

LiQuid wrote:Does Daredevil get better in the 2nd half? I watched 6 episodes over the last day and it's like Arrow with all fun removed. Do people that love it only compare it to the Affleck DD or all modern comic properties in general?

I think the show kind of suffers from being on Netflix all at once since its not a good show to binge watch. I binge watched it and my initial reaction was that the show was all right. It wasn't until I read reviews and reflected on it later that I came to appreciate how good it was. Had I watched an episode a week (or maybe even just one episode a day) I think my initial reaction would've been much more positive.
slinkdickens

Postby DukeTogo » May 28th, 2015 @ 8:43pm

Ryan's proclamation that the end of the Flash finale rivaled anything from any Marvel movie on an effects level may have been the best instance of DC fanboy-ing yet. I enjoyed the hell out of the first season and dug what they were doing in the finale, but to claim those effects are as good as the stuff from the climaxes of either of the Avengers movies or Guardians is insane. That's not a knock on The Flash at all. They're doing some really cool stuff of a TV budget, but the later Marvel movies are in a different league entirely. The movie guys have more time, money and people to make things happen.

Or, maybe Ryan's fucking with us.

And, yeah, Daredevil is better than Arrow or Flash.
DukeTogo

Postby Toby » Jun 1st, 2015 @ 5:19pm

Last call for the Flash & Arrow mini-prints entries is tonight at 8pm. That way I can make a list between this Forum, FB, and Twitter. Winners will be announced on tomorrow's podcast. CrossXhunteR, you're looking pretty good right now :D

slinkdickens - I'm making my way through DD and really like it. I have like 2 or 3 left to watch. I couldn't get this done sooner, when it came out I was working 12 hour days out of town. Last month till now you can blame on the NBA playoffs. SHIELD however you can give me shit for, since I've lost interest, it's been really hard for me to finish the show. I think I have like 7 more to go. I like Marvel just as much as DC, never quite understood all the fanboy hate between the two properties. And Daredevil is one of my favorite characters.
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics