Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 3:25pm

Master Higgins wrote:
Walzo wrote:I don't get why JL was put so high up on everyone's best N52 books.
Johns/Lee.
What LiQuid said.
kenzo

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 3:56pm

Bleeding Cool just reported that Doctor Strange is apart of Phase 3 for Marvel Movieverse.
Walzo

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 10:06pm

On a side note, Saga is not talked enough on the podcast.
Walzo

Postby Walzo » Jan 26th, 2013 @ 9:37pm

Everything about DC's release schedule is the biggest fucking bullshit ever. Batman Vol 2: Night of the Owls is coming out in April.

Yet, Avengers Vol 2 is coming out in July.

Fuck you DC. I can't even read books I wanna read because of your dumb ass release schedule. Thanks.
Walzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 26th, 2013 @ 9:41pm

Well if they hadn't tapered their trade releases since the start of the New 52 they would have had 52 trades all come out in the same month last year which would have been no good for anybody. Just buy singles, they got that shit on Comixology for $2 an issue.

Is that Night of the Owls trade going to have all the rest of the Bat family tie in issues? Seems like they should do that, but dude lemme tell you that whole story was a big waste of time. If I didn't read AmVam I'd think Snyder was the most overrated writer in comics next to Geoff Johns.
LiQuid

Postby Walzo » Jan 26th, 2013 @ 11:44pm

I don't think he is overrated, his stuff is good. The Black Mirror is one of the best Batman related things I've read, and The Court of Owls is a great new addition to his rouges gallery. I'm already picking up the book in singles, I just was posting something from the New 52 compared to Marvel Now.

And I get that they don't wanna release 52 trades in a single month, and I get they want to stretch it out over the year. But why can't they just release a batch of books at a time? Why are we getting Vol 2 of Batman in 2013, and getting Avengers Vol 2 only 2 months after that?!
Walzo

Postby Toby » Jan 27th, 2013 @ 2:11am

Alright just finished reading Hawkeye 1-5. And you guys are gonna hate me and I'm going to loose a lot of cool points, cause I don't entirely disagree with Ryan at all. This book to me doesn't quite feel like a Hawkeye book, I'm not entirely sure if it even feels like a Clint book either. Sure he's in it, Kate's in it, but if Clint and Kate's name were Bob and Jessica, no one would say this is a Hawkeye book. (Probably have to take the bow and arrow out of issue 2 as well).

When went into the shop to grab the books, and flipped through them, I realized why I passed on it to begin with. The art just isn't my cup of tea. I like my flashy 90's poppy art. While I don't have anything against noir looks of feels, I can't help to shake the feeling that this is a bit wannabe Alex Maleef'ish from the Bendis DD run. While we're at it, this series does remind me a bit of the Bendis DD run as well. I told this to Ryan and he say whaaaat, David Aja is awesome didn't you read the Iron Fist issues? Never been a fan of Iron Fist, so Ryan pulled out the trade for me. I liked Aja's work in there far more then I do in Hawkeye. Never the less, I was gonna give it a shot. Now reading the book the art bother me less and less, and the writing helped the flow of things. It's actually very Tintini'sh in where the panel count is a lot higher then the average super hero comic.

Going further the were fun, there were some good scenes, and I liked the book. I didn't love it or hate either. I actually don't think Clint would talk that much in public, or be kinda ditzy at points. It's nice to see him being cool w/ his housemates though. The "Bro" dialogue got annoying real fast, I found it charming at first but when everyone of those Russians was saying it, that kinda killed the joke for me. The "lazy" translation that got mentioned, well I didn't hate it as Ryan did, but it did bother me too. And I know it's coming from Clint's viewpoint, but personally I would have preferred seeing the russian dialogue and Clint's speechbox saying "something russian". The whole lusting after Kate thing - eh didn't really see it that way. There's always gonna be that tension when it's the opposite sex.

I have to say one thing though, while it was hard to keep reading the next issue, but once I was reading the story and the world totally sucked me in. So a wonderful job done there. So after all this, I'm not sure where I stand w/ this. I don't think its a bad book, but not sure if I like it either. It was surely a fun read, and I'm even big fan of Clint and Kate! Ryan can attest that collected the old school Hawkeye mini's over the years and I'm a big fan of Westcoast Avengers. (Boy some of those books are super cheesy nowadays!) And yes it is one of the better Marvel books, but that Rucka Punisher series was way more my thing. Maybe it's just the art. Sorry guys!
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby LiQuid » Jan 27th, 2013 @ 2:22am

Not liking Hawkeye because of art. Literally the first time I've ever heard that. Good job Toby, you're dead to me.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 27th, 2013 @ 11:29am

I know a bunch of people who passed on it because of the art. It's just not very super-hero-y. Same with Daredevil.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Walzo » Jan 27th, 2013 @ 11:41am

I just saw that rabbit thing from Dc, the one thy looks like Rocket Racoon. It's an abomination.
Walzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 27th, 2013 @ 12:28pm

You better not be talking about Captain Carrot motherfucker. And we were on speaking terms...
LiQuid

Postby Walzo » Jan 27th, 2013 @ 12:34pm

I don't understand why they would make Captain Carrot. Of all the ideas to copy, why copy Rocket Raccoon?
Walzo

Postby Walzo » Jan 28th, 2013 @ 1:34pm

Wonder what Ryan thought of Young Avengers.
Walzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 28th, 2013 @ 1:46pm

Sold out in minutes, just got a copy back from a customer to read. Will talk about it probably tonight on the podcast.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jan 28th, 2013 @ 2:00pm

I know it's too hipster for Ryan without him even having to say so.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 28th, 2013 @ 2:05pm

I liked Phonogram, so I'm hoping I like this.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Walzo » Jan 28th, 2013 @ 2:06pm

You guys need questions?
Walzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 28th, 2013 @ 2:51pm

Master Higgins wrote:I liked Phonogram, so I'm hoping I like this.

It's not possible. I don't believe this for a second.
LiQuid

Postby Walzo » Jan 28th, 2013 @ 4:39pm

Geoff Johns is the ultimate fanboy writer and he hates Batman
Walzo

Postby Toby » Jan 28th, 2013 @ 4:51pm

I'm a big fan of Phonogram and Suburban Glamour, I know that I've brought up Suburban Glamour on the podcast before.
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby Walzo » Jan 28th, 2013 @ 4:54pm

How was Young Avengers for you
Walzo

Postby Toby » Jan 28th, 2013 @ 5:13pm

I thought I responded to you earlier in the threat about this:

Toby wrote:I liked it, also I'm a huge fan of Jamie's art! What happened to the black kid that was the mini Captain America? I liked him! Maybe because he reminded me of Night Trasher! :lol:

Toby wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Kieren Gillen said someone else called dibs on Patriot for another book but didn't say what yet. He got all pissy and quit the team after Children's Crusade anyways. He's a bitch and there's enough teen angst just from Wiccan anyways.

Ah, haven't read that one yet. But the hardcover is on my bedstand reading pile though. That's too bad, cause i'd prefer him on the team rather then Wiccan/Hulkling. Do like the new girl though. Partriot, Miss America, and Girl Hawkeye woulda been my preferred line up, and they should go on black ops missions, and.....wait that's young justice! :D

Cool first issue, not sure if I like Hulkling and Wiccan, a little too much teen angst for me. But looking forward to seeing where this is going. I'm nothing super special has happened yet, it's just a set up issue. Kate and Miss America are awesome. Wish Patriot was still in the mix, but Miss America may more then enough make up for it. Art is superb!!
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby Walzo » Jan 28th, 2013 @ 5:16pm

In pretty sure I asked you that question. I'm dumb.

I'm formulating some questions for tonight's podcasts.
Walzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 28th, 2013 @ 5:17pm

Patriot sucks bro. Book will be better off without him. Would rather have Speed back but I guess Kieren didin't want to make the book too white-guy heavy.
LiQuid

Postby Toby » Jan 28th, 2013 @ 6:13pm

LiQuid wrote:Patriot sucks bro. Book will be better off without him.

Yeah probably.
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 28th, 2013 @ 11:53pm

New episode!

The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 93 (2013-01-28)
With most of the cast out this week, we’re joined once again by Kris Faraone and his partner at Heroes and Dice, Chris Roe. Join us as we discuss Chris’ Secret Origins, some more Green Arrow love, Justice League International, some new titles and cancellations, Doctor Strange movie, ranking the Marvel movies, Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, guessing the Man of Steel box office, Jenny Olsen, the cancellation of Green Lantern: TAS and Young Justice, Impulse being awesome, other podcasts we listen to, a listener’s first HeroClix game, and the return of random picks! Starring Ryan Higgins, Omar Brodrick, Kris Faraone, Bryce Larsen, and Chris Roe.
Running Time: 1h 14m 18s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Jan 29th, 2013 @ 3:27am

Omar killin' it this episode! "Shawn Kemp of comics" - LOLLLLL. Love keepin' it real with Avengers too, that movie was good but overhyped and mediocre in a lot of aspects.

Also, you've gotta look into JoJo some more, Omar. It's the hottest shit right now. The anime they're making is starting from the beginning of the manga (1986) and they're going through it at breakneck speeds, so none of this DBZ-shit where battles takes half a season to complete (they're something like, 16 episodes in and already halfway done with the second series - the manga is broken down into series and there's been 8 of them so far). And this shit is beyond fabulous - watch the two OPs they've had so far:

The buff, hot-blooded dudes! The fighting action! The poses! The crazy sexual undertones! Such awesome, concentrated 80s goodness! And they're going full-strength with the franchise too - there's a new fighting game coming out as well:

You guys gotta get on it stat. Also, big ups for Higgins for the pimpin'/breakdown.
kenzo

Postby comicsanddakine » Jan 29th, 2013 @ 12:21pm

kenzo wrote:Omar killin' it this episode! "Shawn Kemp of comics" - LOLLLLL. Love keepin' it real with Avengers too, that movie was good but overhyped and mediocre in a lot of aspects.

Also, you've gotta look into JoJo some more, Omar. It's the hottest shit right now. The anime they're making is starting from the beginning of the manga (1986) and they're going through it at breakneck speeds, so none of this DBZ-shit where battles takes half a season to complete (they're something like, 16 episodes in and already halfway done with the second series - the manga is broken down into series and there's been 8 of them so far). And this shit is beyond fabulous - watch the two OPs they've had so far:

The buff, hot-blooded dudes! The fighting action! The poses! The crazy sexual undertones! Such awesome, concentrated 80s goodness! And they're going full-strength with the franchise too - there's a new fighting game coming out as well:

You guys gotta get on it stat. Also, big ups for Higgins for the pimpin'/breakdown.

Will do, need to prep for that upcoming anime/manga episode...THX!!!
comicsanddakine

Postby Walzo » Jan 29th, 2013 @ 1:04pm

The Dark Knight Rises was the 7th best movie of the year. Avengers was 6th.
Walzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics