Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 20th, 2013 @ 10:36am

1. Fuck you DC for shoving another Lantern book at me, even if it is skippable Larfleeze.

2. Wow, what a great, left-field pick for writer in Venditti.

3. Glad Josh Fialkov still has work. Maybe he can do something with RL. That book has been a fucking disaster since day one. At the very least he'll be able to use some of his "Bitchy lady" material that he likely had cached up for Mary on Bleez.

4. I don't think DC cares about New Guardians at all.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 20th, 2013 @ 10:51am

I'm meh on Billy Tan, no problem with any of the other creators, though. Should be interesting!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Walzo » Feb 20th, 2013 @ 11:59am

I really like RV on XO Manowar. Hopefully he can get me to read GL.
Walzo

Postby kenzo » Feb 20th, 2013 @ 1:54pm

I don't know any of those names. I fear for the future.
kenzo

Postby comicsanddakine » Feb 20th, 2013 @ 8:21pm

Bernard Chang should be busting GL but oh well-- love how Higgins came thru on his call go iVampire dood taking over
comicsanddakine

Postby DukeTogo » Feb 21st, 2013 @ 9:49am

Currently making my way through, and enjoying, the pre-New 52 GL and related GLC run.

At first glance, none of these creative teams does anything for me, but I'll be glad to catch up with TPB's if I hear good things about the books.
DukeTogo

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 25th, 2013 @ 10:55pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 97 (2013-02-25)
This week, we discuss Toby infecting us with Captain Trips, Emerald City Comiccon, the best time to be alive (and reading comics), culling the New 52, too much Batman?, alternative costumes, DC’s mini-events, JLA reading suggestions, new Superman/Batman title, new Green Lantern creative teams, Nova #1, new episodes of Green Lantern and Young Justice, and the big spoiler from DC Comics. Starring Ryan Higgins, Omar Brodrick, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 11m 01s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Feb 25th, 2013 @ 11:53pm

Can't wait to hear about how much you hated the new Nova. Man what a terrible comic.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Feb 26th, 2013 @ 6:36pm

Catching up with with the CC. Man, I've really missed Toby. Also, how do you mispronounce 'avarice', Brock? Don't you teach at a school? :lol:

Edit: Hey, this was a good episode. Good job guys. And Brock didn't even complain about the Cartoon Conspiracy! Now you're gettin' it, thanks!
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Feb 28th, 2013 @ 5:02pm

Once again, Omar's opinions on everything represent the pinnacle of human thinking. Spot on about Aaron Kuder's shit in New Guardians. That book finally has a fucking visual identity now and it has looked amazing. See this post from last month where I had to defend this amazing man from the likes of the cretins that inhabit this forum:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2794&p=147014#p147014
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 4th, 2013 @ 11:01pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 98 (2013-03-04)
Emerald City ComicCon is over, and we've got some news from the con, as well as discussions of other superhero tv shows, the Game of Thrones comic, Trinity of Sin ongoing books, Marvel's DCU, massive collections, Marvel #1 at SXSW, Superman Unchained, the great Superman argument, Guardians of the Galaxy #1, some quick Green Lanterns and Young Justice talk, and Bryce's quick Marvel picks. Starring Ryan Higgins, Omar Brodrick, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, and Toby Sidler.
Running Time: 1h 15m 02s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Mar 4th, 2013 @ 11:42pm

Alright, I guess I'll listen to it then.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 6th, 2013 @ 10:30am

Ok, everyone shitting on Superman right now is hilarious. The book was pretty dumb when the N52 was launched, but Rockafort and Lobdell have been awesome. Everyone who shits on it haven't read the books and simply make fun of the name H'el (which is a tard name but whatever).
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Mar 6th, 2013 @ 5:01pm

I like Bryce a lot. But his characterization of DC being ALL Batman/Superman is about as wrong/ignornat as Brock is about Marvel shit. Let's go through all the Batman/Superman titles, and anything remotely related to them:

Batman
Batgirl
Batman & Robin
Batman: The Dark Knight
Batwing
Batwoman
Birds of Prey
Catwoman
Detective Comics
Nightwing
Redhood and the Outlaws
Batman Incorperated
Talon
Batman/Superman
Superman
Superboy
Supergirl
Teen Titans
Action Comics
Superman Unchained

Tangentially Related:
Justice League
World's Finest
All-Star Western
Suicide Squad

So, we've got 20 (stretching it to 24) books that have something to do with Batman or Superman out of 52. Now, granted, that's a lot. But that's what, less than half? Not really honest to keep saying it's all of their output.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 6th, 2013 @ 5:32pm

24 is still a lot of fucking comics. Imagine if half of Marvel's lineup was related to just Spider Man. I love Spidey but that shit would suck.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 6th, 2013 @ 5:43pm

Yeah, Marvel doesn't have hardly any books related to their two biggest franchises, The Avengers and X-Men...

Avengers
New Avengers
Avengers Arena
Avengers Assemble
Secret Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
A+X
Cable & X-Force
Captain America
Captain Marvel
Daredevil
Deadpool
Gambit
Guardians of the Galaxy
Fantastic Four
Hawkeye
Indestructible Hulk
Iron Man
Journey Into Mystery
Nova
Red She-Hulk
Superior Spider-Man
Avenging Spider-Man
Thor
Thunderbolts
Venom
Winter Soldier
Wolverine
Savage Wolverine
Wolverine & The X-Men
X-Factor
Uncanny X-Force
X-Men
All-New X-Men
Age of Apocalypse
Astonishing X-Men
X-Men Legacy
Uncanny X-Men
X-Treme X-Men
Young Avengers
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Walzo » Mar 6th, 2013 @ 6:02pm

Master Higgins wrote:Yeah, Marvel doesn't have hardly any books related to their two biggest franchises, The Avengers and X-Men...

Avengers
New Avengers
Avengers Arena
Avengers Assemble
Secret Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
A+X
Captain America
Captain Marvel
Gambit
Guardians of the Galaxy
Indestructible Hulk
Iron Man
Nova
Thor

Deadpool
Cable & X-Force
Wolverine
Savage Wolverine
Wolverine & The X-Men
X-Factor
Uncanny X-Force
X-Men
All-New X-Men
Age of Apocalypse
Astonishing X-Men
X-Men Legacy
Uncanny X-Men
X-Treme X-Men
Young Avengers

I deleted some, this should be the actual list.

Also, those books are group books, Batman isn't.
Walzo

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 6th, 2013 @ 6:27pm

Reed is in New Avengers, Thunderbolts is an Avengers spin-off, Venom is in Thunderbolts, etc...
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Walzo » Mar 6th, 2013 @ 6:34pm

Master Higgins wrote:Reed is in New Avengers, Thunderbolts is an Avengers spin-off, Venom is in Thunderbolts, etc...

What you are saying in THOSE lists isn't what we are saying in the Batman list. With the bat books, all of those books are usually apart of the major story arcs within the main book, and a portion of those books have the same character. Avengers is a group book, so of course you could list titles left and right with characters that are within the book. However, Thor, Cap, Ironman, Hulk, and a lot more don't have any sort of connection with the Avengers title as of now.

So the "Avengers" title that I consider to be apart of that thing, and NOT the characters would be:

Avengers
New Avengers
Avengers Arena
Avengers Assemble
Secret Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
A+X
Young Avengers

And Xmen:

Wolverine & The X-Men
X-Factor
Uncanny X-Force
X-Men
All-New X-Men
Age of Apocalypse
Astonishing X-Men
X-Men Legacy
Uncanny X-Men
X-Treme X-Men
Cable & X-Force
Walzo

Postby kenzo » Mar 6th, 2013 @ 7:18pm

Master Higgins wrote:Yeah, Marvel doesn't have hardly any books related to their two biggest franchises, The Avengers and X-Men...
To be fair to Marvel, the Avengers is a team-up book. If you said the same thing about the Justice League and DC, just about every single book would belong under its umbrella since everyone at one point or another has hooked up with a JL-team. As for the X-Men, that franchise is so storied and has so many characters that it might as well be its own universe at this point, so I don't really think that's a fair comparison either.

To me, they're both the same. Marvel or DCU, they're both extremely limited in scope to just their superheroes, not really branching out into the myriads of other possibilities for stories/genres. Quibbling over how these heroes are organized/segregated into various teams is totally a fool's errand and serves no purpose.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 6th, 2013 @ 10:07pm

Avengers and X-men are just that, franchises with dozens of characters. Batman and Superman are two characters and most of their family of books are offshoots of those two characters. The comparison is ridiculous.

Also it fucking sucks that Wonder Woman isn't actually the third tier DC claims she is. Batman and Superman need to both leave and Wonder Woman and Aquaman should be the new faces of DC comics.
LiQuid

Postby comicsanddakine » Mar 6th, 2013 @ 11:43pm

LiQuid wrote:Avengers and X-men are just that, franchises with dozens of characters. Batman and Superman are two characters and most of their family of books are offshoots of those two characters. The comparison is ridiculous.

Also it fucking sucks that Wonder Woman isn't actually the third tier DC claims she is. Batman and Superman need to both leave and Wonder Woman and Aquaman should be the new faces of DC comics.

Great idea! Better yet...MERA and Wonderwoman!!!!
comicsanddakine

Postby LiQuid » Mar 7th, 2013 @ 12:18am

Oh man, I just got a good Omar question for the podcast. You gonna be on it next week? I'll try and remember to tweet Higgins before the show.
LiQuid

Postby Toby » Mar 7th, 2013 @ 12:55am

I think both Big O and I will be at the Warriors/Knicks game, but will be back in full swing for Grand Episode 100!!!
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby TripleZ » Mar 7th, 2013 @ 1:03am

Long time listerner to the Comics Conspiracy here - been listening since episode 1. I'm posting to beg Omar and Bryce to cut back on the swearing if at all possible. I realise I sound like a complete pussy, and believe me, when provoked I swear like a sailor. So I have no problem with an appropriate use of shit, fuck, and the like. However Omar and Bryce in particular drop the f bomb virtually every 2nd or 3rd sentence to the point where it's fucking annoying. It's gone from being an expression of what the guys are thinking to a Tourettes style verbal tic. Please guys, try to get through a couple of sentences without using the f bomb - you may find you actually become more articulate.
TripleZ

Postby LiQuid » Mar 7th, 2013 @ 2:00am

TripleZ wrote:Long time listerner to the Comics Conspiracy here - been listening since episode 1. I'm posting to beg Omar and Bryce to cut back on the swearing if at all possible. I realise I sound like a complete pussy, and believe me, when provoked I swear like a sailor. So I have no problem with an appropriate use of shit, fuck, and the like. However Omar and Bryce in particular drop the f bomb virtually every 2nd or 3rd sentence to the point where it's fucking annoying. It's gone from being an expression of what the guys are thinking to a Tourettes style verbal tic. Please guys, try to get through a couple of sentences without using the f bomb - you may find you actually become more articulate.

I'm a long time reader of your post and I would like to ask you to not be such a miserable pile of awful shit. It's like every word you type sounds like a faggot with fag balls being faggy about shit. Fuck.

People talk how they talk and I can't fucking stand it when people register to criticize shit they have no business commenting on. There are literally dozens of podcasts about comics where nobody swears. Go listen to those. Keep listening to this one too, because the people on it are (mostly) cool and them using casual language shouldn't be a turn off WHEN TALKING ABOUT FUCKING COMICS BOOKS. This isn't NPR. It's not daytime television. It's shop talk. Deal with it or shut your stupid face.
LiQuid

Postby comicsanddakine » Mar 7th, 2013 @ 12:45pm

TripleZ wrote:Long time listerner to the Comics Conspiracy here - been listening since episode 1. I'm posting to beg Omar and Bryce to cut back on the swearing if at all possible. I realise I sound like a complete pussy, and believe me, when provoked I swear like a sailor. So I have no problem with an appropriate use of shit, fuck, and the like. However Omar and Bryce in particular drop the f bomb virtually every 2nd or 3rd sentence to the point where it's fucking annoying. It's gone from being an expression of what the guys are thinking to a Tourettes style verbal tic. Please guys, try to get through a couple of sentences without using the f bomb - you may find you actually become more articulate.

Thx for listening 3Z and for your helpful feedback. Bryce and I work in the tech-sector and education respectively so we don't get to drop the fucking F-bomb on the regular that you so don't enjoy. Like Liq said, we don't really think about what we are saying on the podcast as to much of Ryan's freestyle-shoptalk-brand of podcasting-- actually, Ryan asked to tone it down on the pirate-talk but to be honest, whenever we do-- usually Ryan, Toby, and even Charlie pickup the F-bomb party. For me, saying FUCK this and FUCK that has been like the primary driver to getting Bryce and I to moments of genius-level contemplation in our weekly, hour long, circle-jerk. Or it could be the 10% IPA.
comicsanddakine

Postby kenzo » Mar 7th, 2013 @ 1:34pm

Toby wrote:I think both Big O and I will be at the Warriors/Knicks game, but will be back in full swing for Grand Episode 100!!!
I'M GOING TO THIS GAME! Can't wait to see Curry slice up NYC's old and fat guards. The Bhangra show during halftime should be good, too.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Mar 7th, 2013 @ 1:41pm

LiQuid wrote:Also it fucking sucks that Wonder Woman isn't actually the third tier DC claims she is. Batman and Superman need to both leave and Wonder Woman and Aquaman should be the new faces of DC comics.
Wonder Woman being called part of the "trinity" is an embarrassment, because it's totally the most transparent and pathetic attempt at affirmative action in comics. The third person should totally be a GL or the Flash or someone who is more popular in the actual comics. If they want a woman there, they should either push Wonder Woman more (how about making that movie, finally?) or promote/create some other character that people would latch onto easily. How sick would it have been if Baz was a woman?
kenzo

Postby Toby » Mar 7th, 2013 @ 5:58pm

kenzo wrote:
Toby wrote:I think both Big O and I will be at the Warriors/Knicks game, but will be back in full swing for Grand Episode 100!!!
I'M GOING TO THIS GAME! Can't wait to see Curry slice up NYC's old and fat guards. The Bhangra show during halftime should be good, too.

Sweet! I can't wait! Also doing Warriors/Rockets tomorrow night.
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics