Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 30th, 2013 @ 6:23am

kenzo wrote:
LiQuid wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:our failed attempt at a Justice League movie elevator pitch
Again?
"I'm done with the Justice League movie"

-Ryan Higgins, 12 episodes ago, and has mentioned the JL Movie every episode since.

:lol:

I can't help we get asked about it almost every episode!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Toby » Apr 30th, 2013 @ 10:19am

Master Higgins wrote:
kenzo wrote:
LiQuid wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:our failed attempt at a Justice League movie elevator pitch
Again?
"I'm done with the Justice League movie"

-Ryan Higgins, 12 episodes ago, and has mentioned the JL Movie every episode since.

:lol:

I can't help we get asked about it almost every episode!

Don't worry guys, just wait till you hear Brock's pitch! It's gold!
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby LiQuid » May 2nd, 2013 @ 1:28pm

Having a hard time finding the words to describe how retarded Brock is.

Low rent comic publisher: http://blog.zenescope.com/about/

Coppola's film studio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Zoetrope
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » May 2nd, 2013 @ 1:29pm

The best part about Brock is that this shit is recorded for posterity every week. He's becoming my favorite part of this podcast. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 2nd, 2013 @ 3:56pm

LiQuid wrote:Having a hard time finding the words to describe how retarded Brock is.

Low rent comic publisher: http://blog.zenescope.com/about/
Coppola's film studio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Zoetrope
Yeah, that was pretty facepalmy. But I can't criticize because I've been known to make mistakes like that. Though usually I fact-check pretty fast if someone questions me.
kenzo

Postby Roadie Brock » May 2nd, 2013 @ 10:46pm

I got my Z-ope's mixed up.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Walzo » May 4th, 2013 @ 8:47am

I wonder what the guys thought of Ironman 3.

Best Marvel Movie excluding the Avengers.
Walzo

Postby Plark » May 6th, 2013 @ 2:10pm

Love the podcast! Wish I had a store around me as cool as yours!
Plark

Postby Master Higgins » May 6th, 2013 @ 10:00pm

Hold on to your butts, we talk a lot of Iron Man 3 this episode!

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 107 (2013-05-06)
Iron Man 3 came out this past weekend, and we have a giant spoiler-filled podcast about it, as well as some discussion beforehand about Free Comic Book Day, comic covers in trade paperbacks, favorite super hero costumes, and toys we want. Starring Ryan Higgins, Omar Brodrick, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 18m 26s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby karubah » May 7th, 2013 @ 7:00am

karubah

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » May 7th, 2013 @ 10:15am

Iron Man 3 is the Cabin in the Woods of Marvel movies with the way it fucks with your expectations and the Star Trek IV of how they can do whatever the hell they want with the story and genre (this will probably be one of the best comedies of the year I'll see). Ryan is crazy, Brock is at least reasonable with his gripes.

Also Killian has almost the exact same origin as Syndrome in The Incredibles.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Xiong » May 8th, 2013 @ 9:14am

I land between Brock and Ryan for Iron Man 3.
Twitter@SmackChopG
Xiong

Postby Xiong » May 8th, 2013 @ 9:26am

Also Ryan nails it on the head about the other iron man suites. It makes no sense as to why the other suites dont come in and help, especially when his home get attacked! Soooooooo when your home's being attacked by missiles and the LOVE OF YOUR LIFE who YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT is in danger, nope wont call them?.. Its just an excuse to have a huge battle for the end.
Twitter@SmackChopG
Xiong

Postby puppybox » May 8th, 2013 @ 11:29am

I really enjoyed the Iron Man discussion this week. I'm glad there was such a diverse opinion about it because listening to everyone gush for an hour probably wouldn't have been as interesting
puppybox

Postby DukeTogo » May 9th, 2013 @ 6:14am

Agreed about the Iron Man discussion, it was entertaining even if I think Higgins is off his rocker. I need to go back and listen to their Dark Knight Rises podcast to hear whether Ryan was as worked up about the massive plot hole around Bruce getting from desert jail to Gotham as he was about the armors thing, which at least had a throwaway line to justify it.

And thanks for talking about my TPB question. I've been catching up on Green Lantern and GLC and not having clean breaks in the GLC: Recharge trade is driving me nuts. I usually read right before bed and like to leave off at the end of a chapter. Not having breaks in the book makes this pretty difficult.
DukeTogo

Postby LiQuid » May 9th, 2013 @ 8:15am

Throwaway lines in Dark Knight Rises attempted to mask 3 hours worth of plot holes and Higgins buttfucks that piece of shit. Trying to find logic in his ravings is futile.
LiQuid

Postby comicsanddakine » May 9th, 2013 @ 11:44am

LiQuid wrote:Throwaway lines in Dark Knight Rises attempted to mask 3 hours worth of plot holes and Higgins buttfucks that piece of shit. Trying to find logic in his ravings is futile.

hahahaha!!! i love you man
comicsanddakine

Postby Vyria » May 13th, 2013 @ 3:42pm

I feel like Higgins was playing his 3DS or something through half of this movie.

Lots of SPOILERS in here, but I guess if you listened to the actual episode you're probably in the clear!

Here's some stuff:
  • Killian's motivation wasn't some decade old grudge against Tony. He wanted Tony because Tony almost fixed Extremis while drunk and boning a woman. He tried to partner with Stark openly before all the supervillain stuff.
  • The Mandarin as he was originally created was a horrible racist caricature and prime example of otherization. They deliberately skewer the character's origins by playing off modern fears of the "other" and foreigners and then revealing him to be a fake. Funny enough they literally explain this in the movie in the fortune cookie speech.
  • This is not the same reveal as Batman Begins. There's a fake Ras in Batman because they're playing a shell game to protect their actual leader. The Mandarin is a completely fabricated persona for the sole purpose of driving defense contracts. They serve completely different purposes in their respective movies.
  • The suits were trapped under literal tons of rubble blocking what are probably massive blast doors preventing anyone from stealing the suits. They probably can't blast their way out. It's a plot contrivance but Tony initiates House Party as soon as Jarvis tells him the rubble is clear, it's not like he forgot they existed.
  • Who cares where the other Avengers were. This is an Iron Man movie. Suspend some disbelief. I don't hear you whining about how Superman doesn't show up in every DC hero comic to save the day any time something looks extra dangerous. Some better handwaving as to why SHIELD didn't do anything might have been good though.
  • That scene of removing the shrapnel was kind of out of nowhere and I'm not sure if we're supposed to think Tony finally figured out a way using that magnet, or we're supposed to believe he used Extremis on himself. That was pretty dumb.
  • You missed all the subtext in the movie.

To elaborate on the last point: The PTSD stuff was pretty surface, but there's a way deeper theme about Tony's personal identity in regards to Iron Man. This is specifically framed when he's sitting on the couch next to the Mk42. You have so much time with Tony outside of the suit, including tons of scenes where the suits are doing stuff on their own. There's a constant theme of how Tony hides behind the suits, when throughout the movie the suits are frequently letting him down or malfunctioning. When you get to the final battle the suits are doing are holding their own but several get eviscerated. The moment where the Mark 42 shows up to rescue him from Killian is a bit of a slapstick moment, but it serves to demonstrate to Tony he can't just hide in the suit and save the day. He demonstrates he learns this lesson by not trying to get the suit on again but by actually forcing it on to Killian. Obviously this isn't enough and Pepper actually ends things, but at the end of the movie we have Tony finally asserting that he, not the flimsy throwaway robot suit, is Iron Man.

I honestly thought the third act of Iron Man 1 was kind of shitty, and 2 had a stupid plot, but better action than the first. I'd rank this the best Iron Man movie easily followed by 1 and a distant 2. In spite of its thematic depth, the plot was otherwise pretty bog standard. Avengers was shallow, but also one of the most exciting, spectacle filled action movies ever made, so it's still the #1 MCU film, but I'd still rank Iron Man 3 second.

Try watching the movie again with a more critical eye and actually pay attention to some of the plot stuff you glossed over. That one throwaway bathroom joke was to immediately illustrate that "the Mandarin" was some crass idiot and not the serious villainous mastermind we thought him to be. It was supposed to swerve your expectations really hard instead of a gradual reveal. They didn't put that in there so people would go "doody smells! haw haw."

I don't know that you'll ever like the film, but I think you at least owe it a second viewing.

Also I don't see why you guys loved Thor so much when it was so goddamn boring and had a terrible plot. It also aspired to some decent thematic elements with Loki being torn between his actual parentage and loyalty to those who raised him, but it mostly fell flat. Then you had Thor learning humility and what it's like to be human after basically just chatting with Natalie Portman for three days. Real character arc there.

Then again Higgins also loves Green Lantern, which was an offensively bad squandering of both comic property and acting talent.
Vyria

Postby Master Higgins » May 13th, 2013 @ 10:24pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 108 (2013-05-13)
This week, we discuss the Non-Comic Conspiracy, Mark Millar hate, New Warriors love, favorite Charlton characters. Wonder Woman: Earth One, the return of Batcow, DC’s newest round of cancelations, Superman Unchained variants, retailer math, Iron Man 3 week two box office numbers, losing Marvel’s Cinematic Universe actors, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and some random comic picks. Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 07m 00s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » May 13th, 2013 @ 10:24pm

Vyria, we'll be covering your post next week :)
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » May 13th, 2013 @ 11:31pm

So nobody has seen Superman Unbound yet then?
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 14th, 2013 @ 12:24am

Master Higgins wrote:Vyria, we'll be covering your post next week :)

Motherfucker used bullet points and errthang. That shit was straight Konandian.
LiQuid

Postby Toby » May 14th, 2013 @ 1:16am

Charlie and I have. We were going to talk about, or we may have shelved it for next week. Ryan has a uncanny way of not talking about the things we talked about talking before we start recording. I think that sentence made sense right? We almost didn't even talk about SHIELD! Nor the Marvel/Actors money issue.

However Supes Unbound should fit nicely into next week non-comicbook conspiracy episode! Star Trek, Arrow, Supes Unbound, and Doctor mother effing Who! :D

Edit: Actually we did shelf it! Omar has his review for it! So next week for sure, when he's back.
Last edited by Toby on May 14th, 2013 @ 1:18am, edited 1 time in total.
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby Toby » May 14th, 2013 @ 1:17am

Brock will hate it! Watch some cartoons brother!
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby manta173 » May 14th, 2013 @ 9:59am

I'm so upset with your complaints I might listen to this for the first time just to see how you respond to this.

Vryia I agree with you almost 100%, but I liked all 3 Iron man movies not just this one.
manta173

Postby comicsanddakine » May 14th, 2013 @ 11:10am

props on picking Hickmans' Avengers #11 with their trip to pseudo-Vegas and Shaing Chi gets mad Bruce Lee on all those suckas!! w00t! okay what happened to the Wonder Woman bondage talk?? FAIL.
comicsanddakine

Postby DukeTogo » May 15th, 2013 @ 6:06am

Vyria wrote:I feel like Higgins was playing his 3DS or something through half of this movie.

Lots of SPOILERS in here, but I guess if you listened to the actual episode you're probably in the clear!

Here's some stuff:
Edited for length, but he goes on to drop serious knowledge.

This guy, he gets it.

I agree that the removal of the shrapnel from Tony's chest happened a bit too quickly in the film. Upon second viewing, I felt a lot better about it.

As Vyria pointed out in his excellent analysis, the movie is about Tony realizing that he's Iron Man even without the suit and that building and maintaining this huge armor arsenal was a coping mechanism that allowed him to hide from his real life. Once he does away with the "distractions," he's able to focus his considerable talents as a mechanic on fixing himself.

The shrapnel thing and the "therapy" sessions with Banner can both be seen as attempts to build a better Tony. That said, it would've been nice to see a couple short scenes to explain this a little more clearly.
DukeTogo

Postby Vyria » May 16th, 2013 @ 1:00pm

Exciting! In case you were wondering it's "Veer-ee-uh" like the country Syria with a V.

I've always wondered where yours and Ryan Scott's Mark Millar hate came from (aside from the dumb movie pitch bullshit,) and that's despicable reaction to retailer woes.

Also thanks to all of you for the Five Ghosts recommendation. I love pastiche and pulpy throwback and this is pretty neat.
Vyria

Postby Master Higgins » May 20th, 2013 @ 10:28pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 109 (2013-05-20)
The (Mostly) Non-Comic Conspiracy takes over as we discuss some listener questions, as well as the Arrow Season 1 finale, Star Trek Into Darkness, epic time travel paradox argument, and the Doctor Who Series 7 finale. Starring Ryan Higgins, Jim Jokisch, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 56m 20s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » May 21st, 2013 @ 12:47am

Longer eps from both shows is awesome. Glad Arrow is finally getting covered. Why did it take an entire amazing season?!
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics