Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 12:47am

kenzo wrote:
Walzo wrote:
kenzo wrote:
Walzo wrote:Also, DC post New 52 continuity is all kinds of screwed up and dumb.
And yet you don't read GL, which is all kinds of great, and the continuity is pretty much intact.
Oh, so one book or this one group of books continuity's book is still good?

Tell me about the other 40.
Why? I don't shill for the rest of the 52. But GL is the shit. Just giving an example of something that doesn't suck, doesn't completely fuck your vaunted continuity in the ass, and that you don't read because you're grouping it together with a bunch of other junk that doesn't deserve to be grouped together.

GL may be the shit, but I'm not reading it. According to others, GL is the only one with a intact continuity. And I'm talking about DC as a whole, and while it is great that GL is going good, everything else isn't, continuity wise.
Walzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 10:58am

Walzo wrote:I was almost not gonna pick up Avengers because of Brock and Ryan.

Yeah, don't listen to me when it comes to Bendis.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Walzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 12:56pm

Master Higgins wrote:
Walzo wrote:I was almost not gonna pick up Avengers because of Brock and Ryan.

Yeah, don't listen to me when it comes to Bendis.

I'm talking about the current run going on.

Btw, I'm TheCerealKillz on Twitter.
Walzo

Postby comicsanddakine » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 1:34pm

Some quality pick there CerealWalzo!! Here is my current Top 10 from all currents:
10. Uncanny Avengers
9. Indestructible Hulk
8 Manhattan Projects
7. Nightwing
6. Green Lantern
5. Daredevil
4. Detective Comics
3. Wonder Woman
2. Batwoman
1. Avengers

I gotta agree with you and for the most part everyone from the Ministry of Higgins feel that New 52 as it is can't hold a candle to what it was when it started. Marvel Now has been great so far and I don't hate on them doing it as a generic, GRAND OPENING like every other Korean, Chinee, or other nee-spot that tries to grab some attention from the rando-readerby...

Thanks for always supplying us with the great questions, eventhough it take Ryan over a year to actually read em on air.

Walzo wrote:Out of those 52 books, I'm reading (or plan on reading) these books:

Talon
Animal Man
Swamp Thing
Justice League Dark
Wonder Woman
Superman: Man of Steel by Scott Snyder and Jim Lee

Out of Marvel Now!, I'm reading (or plan on reading) these books:

Indestructible Hulk
Thor
Avengers
New Avengers
Young Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
All New Xmen
Deadpool
FF
Journey Into Mystery
Xmen
Uncanny Xforce

And those are just my Marvel Now titles.

I don't even consider myself a fanboy of either side, since I'm digging what Image and Valiant are putting out a lot more.
comicsanddakine

Postby Toby » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 1:38pm

I loved Bendis on Ult Spidey, but totally didn't like his Avengers run or anything else he's done during that period. So far though I'm liking his X-Men.

I think I'm pretty even on Marvel/DC books nowadays, since I'm back just to the characters or creative teams I like on the DC side.

Marvel - Gambit, Uncanny X-Force, Oz, .... DC - Nightwing, Batgirl, Birds, .... Also I'm extremely behind on everything!
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby comicsanddakine » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 1:43pm

Toby wrote:I loved Bendis on Ult Spidey, but totally didn't like his Avengers run or anything else he's done during that period. So far though I'm liking his X-Men.

I think I'm pretty even on Marvel/DC books nowadays, since I'm back just to the characters or creative teams I like on the DC side.

Marvel - Gambit, Uncanny X-Force, Oz, .... DC - Nightwing, Batgirl, Birds, .... Also I'm extremely behind on everything!

Finish up all your work so you can come back and have fun on Mondays with me homie!!
comicsanddakine

Postby Toby » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 1:45pm

It's gonna be a while....
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby LiQuid » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 2:13pm

Kinda surprised among all you bros there's NO Hawkguy love. It's like the main internet darling like Daredevil was in 2011. I think the kind of street level, day-to-day heroing in it is kind of similar too. They're both amazing books. Daredevil hasn't dipped in quality once since it started too which is crazy. Those are both gonna be legendary runs when they're done.
LiQuid

Postby comicsanddakine » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 2:39pm

LiQuid wrote:Kinda surprised among all you bros there's NO Hawkguy love. It's like the main internet darling like Daredevil was in 2011. I think the kind of street level, day-to-day heroing in it is kind of similar too. They're both amazing books. Daredevil hasn't dipped in quality once since it started too which is crazy. Those are both gonna be legendary runs when they're done.

I love the creators on the Hawkeye book but I feel that the evolution of the character after the film came out has sucked since. I was a fan of the stuff that Cornell was dropping with Hawkeye & Mockingbird but since then I just feel he is way too much of a Marina Douche for my taste. On the other hand, if he went back to being a badguy-- I would prob like him...
comicsanddakine

Postby LiQuid » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 3:11pm

Higgins keeps saying Hawkeye in the Fraction comic is Hawkeye from the movie and I think that's retarded and ridiculous. He's nothing like movie Hawkeye. He's just regular dude on the street.
LiQuid

Postby Toby » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 4:09pm

From everything what you guys are saying, I'd probably love Hawkeye quite a bit. I'll check it out!
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby kenzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 4:52pm

Omar, you didn't list Batman or Justice League in your top 10.

I love you, man.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 5:31pm

My top 10 is something like:

10. Wolverine and the X-Men -Frankenstein arc was goofy but I'll never get sick of the school antics. Ever.
9. Young Avengers -After 1 or 2 more issues this is going to jump to #3 or 2, I just know it
8. Daredevil -Somehow got even BETTER than it was with Rivera/Martin when Samnee signed on. So consistently awesome
7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles -New artist is baller. Slash/Turtles fight over the last two issues has been H Y P E !
6. Avengers -Every issues feels like shit is going to get bigger and BIGGER. Opena draws circles around even some of the BEST in the biz
5. Wonder Woman -Diana's family keeps getting more and more fucked up! Her Wesley Willis, fly-infested brother is INSANE :lol:
4. Thor -A couple years ago the only thing more ridiculous than the idea that a Thor comic could be one of my favs ever would be...
3. Aquaman -That 15 issues into Aquaman it has remained one of my favorite comics since I got into comics. Reis's replacement is RETARDED!!
2. Saga -This universe is perfect. These characters are perfect. BKV's dialog is perfect. I want this to be a film franchise instead of Trek/SW
1. Hawkeye -This is the perfect comic when Aja is drawing it, and it's merely the "best on the shelf" when he's not

That's all subject to change at any given moment. Like this month Aquaman and Wonder Woman swapped spots because Wonder Woman was kind of a snoozer but this Atlantis arc in Aquaman is off da fuckan CHAIN.

There's a lot of real good honorable mention stuff that is constantly entertaining but doesn't warrant a top spot for some reason:

Green Lantern books x3 -event is blah but the books are still entertaining every month
Animal Man/Swampy -haven't read since Rotworld started
Punisher War Zone I'm gonna miss the fuck out of Rucka when this is over
All New X-Men -the characterizations of some characters is still pretty iffy but it's fun as hell to read
X-Treme X-Men -might just be Exiles renamed, but Pak is killing it and his artists have been getting GOOD
Batwoma -Consistently some of my favorite art but the story just isn't up to snuff, even with this mythology/Wonder Woman stuff going on
Superior Spidey -Best trolling in comics today and Ock/Spidey really is superior to Peter Parker, at least for the moment
LiQuid

Postby Walzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 5:54pm

Has anyone read Young Avengers yet? I loved it. Ms America has an awesome design.

Also, my top 10:

10. Harbinger
9. Archer and Armstrong
8. The Manhattan Projects
7. Indestructible Hulk
6. Batman
5. Daredevil
4. American Vampire
3. Thor
2. Saga
1. Hawkeye
Walzo

Postby Toby » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 7:48pm

I liked it, also I'm a huge fan of Jamie's art! What happened to the black kid that was the mini Captain America? I liked him! Maybe because he reminded me of Night Trasher! :lol:
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby LiQuid » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 7:56pm

Kieren Gillen said someone else called dibs on Patriot for another book but didn't say what yet. He got all pissy and quit the team after Children's Crusade anyways. He's a bitch and there's enough teen angst just from Wiccan anyways.
LiQuid

Postby Walzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 9:36pm

Everyone should read the new Journey into Mystery. 6th best Marvel NOW title.
Walzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 9:54pm

The first issue did nothing for me. I skimmed the 2nd and didn't feel compelled to pick it up. Sell it to me. A few months ago I would have laughed at you if you recommended an Asgard comic but I liked Gillen's JiM and I love Aaron's Thor so it feels like I'm living in bizarro world.
LiQuid

Postby Walzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 10:27pm

I really don't know how to explain it, it is just good. The art is good, the story is good, etc.

Also, Brock isn't picking up Young Avengers because, "According @RyanHigginsRyan rant the other day the book could have made money, but Marvel screwed that up."
Walzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 10:45pm

Brock doesn't buy Marvel books, he just reads them so he can complain about them. He "knows" they're all bad before he even reads them. Brock doesn't belong in any rational conversation about Marvel because he's not a comic fan, he's a fanboy and a really gross one at that because he's irrational. He's surrounded himself with people that don't care enough to even put up a fight. I gave up trying to even talk to him about Marvel months ago. He won't hear anything you have to say.
LiQuid

Postby Walzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 10:54pm

Yeah, he does that a lot, I don't give him as much flack for it though. He did think Thor and Indestructible Hulk were good, which kind of gives me hopes. And yeah, I started to completely question the continuity of Batman in DC and he just said they were enjoyable books. Which, if it was Marvel with the errors, he would fully bash it in everyone's face.

Also, perfect way to describe JiM: It's about Sif, who is trying to protect Asgard, but also to trying figure out what Asgard means, as she's lost her national or cultural identity.
Walzo

Postby Toby » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 11:47pm

LiQuid wrote:Kieren Gillen said someone else called dibs on Patriot for another book but didn't say what yet. He got all pissy and quit the team after Children's Crusade anyways. He's a bitch and there's enough teen angst just from Wiccan anyways.

Ah, haven't read that one yet. But the hardcover is on my bedstand reading pile though. That's too bad, cause i'd prefer him on the team rather then Wiccan/Hulkling. Do like the new girl though. Partriot, Miss America, and Girl Hawkeye woulda been my preferred line up, and they should go on black ops missions, and.....wait that's young justice! :D
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby Walzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 11:51pm

Miss America is awesome.
Walzo

Postby Toby » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 11:54pm

LiQuid wrote:Brock doesn't buy Marvel books, he just reads them so he can complain about them. He "knows" they're all bad before he even reads them.

Agreed.

LiQuid wrote:He's surrounded himself with people that don't care enough to even put up a fight.

Tried, pointless.

LiQuid wrote:I gave up trying to even talk to him about Marvel months ago. He won't hear anything you have to say.

Exactly....
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby Toby » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 11:58pm

Walzo wrote:Miss America is awesome.

Yeah very interested to see what they got set up for her. Love her attitude so far, and he look is great. But hopefully she won't be a she-hulk/miss america (from marvel2) mash up.

Really hopeful for some cool dialogue scenes between her and girl hawkeye. I could see them not getting along and its gonna be great!
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 10:06am

Almost the entirety of my dislike of Hawkeye is Fraction. Sometimes (Iron Man, Iron Fist), he's pretty great. Sometimes, I just can't deal with his dialogue and style of story telling. Hawkeye is definitely one of those times. I looooooove Aja, and I love Hawkeye, but this just isn't working for me.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 10:46am

Yeah, yeah, hipster Fraction. Heard you. I'm not sure what you'd prefer but street level, man of the people Hawkeye with whip smart dialog is perfect comics to me. It's not relying on Big Dumb Villains and run of the mill heroics, it's just perfect characterization of two awesome characters that are typically ignored. Fraction elevated Kate from antagonistic co-leader of the Young Avengers to a witty, playful foil to OG Hawkeye and it's brilliant. Consistently.
LiQuid

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 11:56am

LiQuid wrote:Yeah, yeah, hipster Fraction. Heard you. I'm not sure what you'd prefer but street level, man of the people Hawkeye with whip smart dialog is perfect comics to me. It's not relying on Big Dumb Villains and run of the mill heroics, it's just perfect characterization of two awesome characters that are typically ignored. Fraction elevated Kate from antagonistic co-leader of the Young Avengers to a witty, playful foil to OG Hawkeye and it's brilliant. Consistently.

This, this times a million. It's such a fantastic book.
Walzo

Postby Toby » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 12:07pm

Walzo wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Yeah, yeah, hipster Fraction. Heard you. I'm not sure what you'd prefer but street level, man of the people Hawkeye with whip smart dialog is perfect comics to me. It's not relying on Big Dumb Villains and run of the mill heroics, it's just perfect characterization of two awesome characters that are typically ignored. Fraction elevated Kate from antagonistic co-leader of the Young Avengers to a witty, playful foil to OG Hawkeye and it's brilliant. Consistently.

Girl Hawkeye is in the book too??? I love her! Ryan is there a trade yet? When's the hardcover out?? The double trade HC not the stupid little ones!

Actually now that I think of it, this got mentioned on the podcast a while back, I totally forgotten about it! I wanted to check it out back then too!
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 12:19pm

Toby wrote:
Walzo wrote:

Girl Hawkeye is in the book too??? I love her! Ryan is there a trade yet? When's the hardcover out?? The double trade HC not the stupid little ones!

Actually now that I think of it, this got mentioned on the podcast a while back, I totally forgotten about it! I wanted to check it out back then too!

I asked that question! The trade comes out in March and collects Hawkeye 1-5 and Young Avengers Presents 6.
Walzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics