Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 12:09pm

LiQuid wrote:
kenzo wrote:I'm positive people have said the same thing about N52 Wonder Woman.

I'm positive you're an idiot.
1) I'm not saying I agree with that sentiment, just pointing out that your argument is an illogical one to make.
2) Don't get mad at me because your argument makes no sense. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, and not fitting with the look of anything else isn't a reason to say it shouldn't exist.
kenzo

Postby SynysterBear » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 2:50pm

Owwh weeee next week episode is gonna be good. Thor a girl? uh ohs.
Kenzo is a tumblrina.

http://i.imgur.com/Hc86Cdi.jpg
SynysterBear

Postby LiQuid » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 3:57pm

kenzo wrote:
LiQuid wrote:
kenzo wrote:I'm positive people have said the same thing about N52 Wonder Woman.

I'm positive you're an idiot.
1) I'm not saying I agree with that sentiment, just pointing out that your argument is an illogical one to make.
2) Don't get mad at me because your argument makes no sense. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, and not fitting with the look of anything else isn't a reason to say it shouldn't exist.

Not only does Batwoman look like everything DC does except better. JHW was doing art on DC books (including Batwoman via Detective Comics) before the New 52 started. Who would say something so stupid as that his art is awful (really, go find an example of someone denigrating the art in that book when it started) and/or that it doesn't fit in with other DC books? It has the same style and tone as all the Mahnke/Gleeson/Reis's out there.

This new book looks like if Marvel took one of their main-line X-Men books and put Scotty Young art on it. Not that this art is Scotty Young caliber, it's not, but that's what it would be like. It would be stupid.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 3:59pm

SynysterBear wrote:Owwh weeee next week episode is gonna be good. Thor a girl? uh ohs.

Thor gender bending event? There could be some comedy there.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 4:05pm

I don't even understand what you're saying. Batwoman? What? Batgirl is now equivalent of mainline X-Men? Did all that soccer watching damage your brain or something?
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 4:11pm

J H Williams hasn't been on Batwoman for a while, and even when he was, he only did like every other arc.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 4:16pm

Ok, my bad you said Wonder Woman, I thought you were keeping it in the Bat-family. Wonder Woman makes even less sense, since Cliff Chiang both looks just like everybody else doing mainline DC books AND doesn't have the pretentious layouts of Batwoman.

Also Bat-family is basically DC's X-Men, for all intents and purposes. It's their super popular, self-contained mini-universe within their mainline shit. Batgirl is equivalent to any of the popular female X-Men characters like Rogue, or Kitty. Imagine if they made a comic where Rogue inexplicably looked 10 years younger done by a mangaka. It would be ridiculous placed next to the rest of the line. DC already DOES books like this, they just aren't umbrella'd in with the rest of the New 52 shit. They're outlier books based on cartoons, and digital first books.
LiQuid

Postby SynysterBear » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 4:35pm

LiQuid wrote:
SynysterBear wrote:Owwh weeee next week episode is gonna be good. Thor a girl? uh ohs.

Thor gender bending event? There could be some comedy there.

Spoilers for Original Sin #1,
Spoiler: show
Thor States, after being effected by the Watchers Eye, he has a sister. Either a different reality or something to do with Odinsleep. Thats my guess.
Kenzo is a tumblrina.

SynysterBear

Postby LiQuid » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 4:58pm

If it's just like his sister, or some alternate dimension version of himself that'd be a really shitty bait and switch. I want some full on, Freaky Friday style body swap action.
LiQuid

Postby SynysterBear » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 5:59pm

LiQuid wrote:If it's just like his sister, or some alternate dimension version of himself that'd be a really shitty bait and switch. I want some full on, Freaky Friday style body swap action.

Would be cool.
Kenzo is a tumblrina.

SynysterBear

Postby seamus2389 » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 6:06pm

I think that art for the new bat girl is great (but I also think most of the art for DC/Marvel is dull as shit).

Books that are seen as popular amoung female readers (Saga, Captain/Ms Marvel, to a lesser extent Velvet, fatale, rachel rising and lazarus) are also books I see covered on sites that never/rarely covered Marvel/DC comics before so if this book gets coverage there which I think it would it might sell alright. it being described as Girls meet Veronica Mars does sound right up the alley of a couple of the sites like Slate which covered Saga and Captin/Ms. Marvel when they came out.

I would say comixology rather then LCS is how they would be bought. The price could well be a issue though.

This, Thor now being a woman and Marvel launching a couple other female lead books in the last 12 months has me thinking that this strategy of going after new female readers could actually working but I'd give it another year before feeling confident in that thought.
Last edited by seamus2389 on Jul 15th, 2014 @ 7:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
seamus2389

Postby kenzo » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 6:29pm

LiQuid wrote:If it's just like his sister, or some alternate dimension version of himself that'd be a really shitty bait and switch. I want some full on, Freaky Friday style body swap action.
You just want all the fan art of him having sex with himself.
kenzo

Postby kevinep3 » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 7:38pm

CrossXhunteR wrote:The biggest barrier to reading comic books is purchasing them. Even if it was advertised and available where a "tumblr-girl" could buy it, stuff still costs money that a lot of people just are not willing to spend, especially if you don't already read comics. I honestly don't know how someone gets into comics without having friends that are into them.

You tell yourself "this seems kinda cool" , torrent a bunch of comics and realize what you've been missing out on. Then get a job and buy old ones and any new ones you like either digitally or physically like I did.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby LiQuid » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 7:41pm

I mean, like, what young boy hasn't thought to himself about how rad it would be to have a banging set of titties to fondle? That's a way less gay fantasy than wanting to fuck your same sex clone.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 8:01pm

LiQuid wrote:I mean, like, what young boy hasn't thought to himself about how rad it would be to have a banging set of titties to fondle? That's a way less gay fantasy than wanting to fuck your same sex clone.
That's not homosexual, that's autoerotic. Whereas what you propose is transsexual.
kenzo

Postby ShadowSot » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 7:13pm

I'm expecting it'll have Thor's sister picking up the hammer.
ShadowSot

Postby SynysterBear » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 9:48am

ShadowSot wrote:I'm expecting it'll have Thor's sister picking up the hammer.

I would believe so.
Kenzo is a tumblrina.

SynysterBear

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 21st, 2014 @ 10:15pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 168 (2014-07-21)
This week, we're joined by listener Cris Soctor as we discuss his super fandom, Sunnydale, Cris' Secret Origin, pre-San Diego Comic-Con excitement, not Thor Girl, Falcon Cap, Avengers NOW!, Marvel movie dates, The Rock as Shazam, and listener questions. Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, Cris Soctor, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 20m 52s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby darfox8 » Jul 24th, 2014 @ 11:16am

Cris was pretty cool. I enjoyed packing stories for some odd reason.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 28th, 2014 @ 8:51pm

http://www.geekbox.net/archives/2014/07 ... k-edition/

tl;dr - I'm having surgery, see you guys in a few weeks.

Hi everybody!

If you’ve been listening to the Comic Conspiracy or the Geekbox for the last year or two, you’ll notice I’ve been sick. A lot. Recently, it’s become worse. Starting in May, I’ve had the worst colds I can remember having in my life, almost non-stop. After a few weeks, I was put on two rounds of strong anti-biotics after determining I had a sinus infection and an ear infection, which did little to help me recover. The doctor decided to run a CT scan, and discovered the left half of my sinuses were completely blocked, and I had developed several nasal polyps which have caused me to continue to get sick over and over. They scheduled endoscopic nasal surgery for the soonest possible time, so now I’m waiting. The surgery is happening the morning of Wednesday, August 6th, so we’re hoping this will take care of the problems and relieve the side-effects, including cold and flu-like symptoms, massive sinus pressure, and headaches.

So what does this have to do with the podcast? Well, mere hours before getting ready to record today, my sinuses starting acting up again after a few days of relief. I waited and was hoping it would pass, but as we got set up, it was obvious there was no way I’d be able to talk for a few hours without having to step away every minute or two. As it’s the week after San Diego Comic-Con, we had a ton to talk about, and I feel terrible about missing the episode. Our current plan is to record an extra-long episode next week, discussing SDCC news, Toby’s trip to San Diego, and the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but I can’t make a promise that I’ll be well enough to record. It’s hard enough being at work and talking as little as possible. If we record next week, I’ll release half the episode on Monday, August 4th and the second half after my surgery while I’m recovering on Monday, August 11th. If we’re unable to record, there won’t be a new episode until August 18th, but I’m going to try and not let that happen. I assume I’ll be feeling close to 100% and ready to return to work and recording by August 18th, if not before! If there’s any changes, I’ll keep people updated. Thanks for your understanding!

Ryan Higgins
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Mr_eX » Jul 28th, 2014 @ 9:17pm

Get well soon. I hope your surgery goes well.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jul 28th, 2014 @ 9:51pm

Good luck mang. I think we should let Brock step up and host a show. I think he's ready.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jul 28th, 2014 @ 9:52pm

Also he gives you so much shit every time you fuck any minor thing up it'll be nice to be able to throw that shade back on him.
LiQuid

Postby meDotJS » Jul 28th, 2014 @ 10:50pm

After reading those first two sentences I expected you to reveal that it was something life threatening. Relieved to read that it's not.

Still a bummer you're gonna have to go through surgery. Good luck with that. Get well soon.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby kenzo » Jul 28th, 2014 @ 10:56pm

kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 29th, 2014 @ 3:30am

Has Brock never hosted a show?
CrossXhunteR

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 29th, 2014 @ 8:49am

CrossXhunteR wrote:Has Brock never hosted a show?

He did once, when we remodeled the store and I had to get the point of sale system back up before reopening. That was about a year ago. If I'm feeling as bad next week as I did last night, I'll probably hand it off to the other guys.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 29th, 2014 @ 8:54am

Your crew of hooligans seems competent enough to run the ship without the captain. Plus, with all the comic-con stuff, they should have plenty to talk about.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 29th, 2014 @ 10:04am

Master Higgins wrote:
CrossXhunteR wrote:Has Brock never hosted a show?

He did once, when we remodeled the store and I had to get the point of sale system back up before reopening. That was about a year ago. If I'm feeling as bad next week as I did last night, I'll probably hand it off to the other guys.

I remember that episode. I think that was more like hosting with training wheels since you were still in the store to keep him from Brocking it the fuck up.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jul 29th, 2014 @ 10:07am

I remember that episode actually being pretty good. I'm A-OK with letting Brock handle things while you're gone. Focus on getting better, man! Worst case scenario, everyone gets really drunk on the podcast and we have a really entertaining episode.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics