Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 12:20pm

If Avengers 2 has a panel (obviously it will) and Jeremy Renner is there, everyone should give him Hawkeye Vol 1 and be like, "Read this and be like him".
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 12:45pm

Toby wrote:Girl Hawkeye is in the book too??? I love her! Ryan is there a trade yet? When's the hardcover out?? The double trade HC not the stupid little ones!

Actually now that I think of it, this got mentioned on the podcast a while back, I totally forgotten about it! I wanted to check it out back then too!

Yes. She's amazing. I was going to post post some pages to showcase how amazing some of the dialog is, but without contest they just aren't done justice. The way the story flows during an issue, jumping quickly around timelines but still being coherent and fast paced. Some of the issues feel like self contained Quentin Terantino movies, the way characters interact and how action develops out of sequential time but builds up to a fantastic conclusion.

There's a page in an early issue where Clint is thinking to himself via narration boxes while he's getting his ass kicked and when he gets punched a chat bubble with "urrgh" or whatever will come out of him and it actually interrupts his thoughts. That's so brilliant to me. Most inner monologue like that just happens over the action but Fraction makes the narration happen in real time just by having it interrupted by Hawkeye getting punched in the gut.

And something I heard Ryan and Brock bitch about was the "lazy translation." Hawkeye's finds his neighborhood harassed by some vaguely Eastern European thugs that wear tracksuits that swear and say "bro" a lot, and sometimes when you hear them talk in their native language instead of having their dialog translated with brackets around and an editor's note saying what language they're speaking, we read it from Clint's point of view and the text bubble will just say "Something angry. Russian maybe?" Brilliant.

It's like these people have been fed comic book tropes so long they're incapable of accepting anything other than crusty old fashioned writing. Hawkeye feels modern and COOL. It's probably the coolest comic I've ever read. It's got so much style, and most of that comes from its writing, which is high praise with someone as amazing as Aja drawing it.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 12:59pm

Yeah, bro. Hawkeye is pretty good, bro. Bro! I'm so [something Spanish, maybe?] excited for more bro stories featuring Hawkeye lusting over teenage girls, bro! Groundbreaking bro, bro.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Toby » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:02pm

Yeah I definitely will check it out, and really Girl Hawkeye woulda been reason enough for me. She's the only reason (and a bit of patriot) that I stuck around on the first run of Young Avengers. Just too bad that I missed out on the first printings of the earlier issues, I would have just collected it. Also love the cover design too. If I got time I may swing by the shop after work today, and pick up the first couple.

Need to catch up on Uncanny Avengers too.
@tobyxi
Toby
User avatar
Movie Magic
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Feb 22nd, 2012 @ 1:08pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Toby » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:04pm

Master Higgins wrote:Yeah, bro. Hawkeye is pretty good, bro. Bro! I'm so [something Spanish, maybe?] excited for more bro stories featuring Hawkeye lusting over teenage girls, bro! Groundbreaking bro, bro.


One day I wanna read comics through Ryan's eyes! Would be fun! :D
@tobyxi
Toby
User avatar
Movie Magic
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Feb 22nd, 2012 @ 1:08pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:06pm

Toby wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:Yeah, bro. Hawkeye is pretty good, bro. Bro! I'm so [something Spanish, maybe?] excited for more bro stories featuring Hawkeye lusting over teenage girls, bro! Groundbreaking bro, bro.


One day I wanna read comics through Ryan's eyes! Would be fun! :D


Grant Morrison will be all you see.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:06pm

Toby wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:Yeah, bro. Hawkeye is pretty good, bro. Bro! I'm so [something Spanish, maybe?] excited for more bro stories featuring Hawkeye lusting over teenage girls, bro! Groundbreaking bro, bro.


One day I wanna read comics through Ryan's eyes! Would be fun! :D


It's pretty Imageing great.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:08pm

Master Higgins wrote:Yeah, bro. Hawkeye is pretty good, bro. Bro! I'm so [something Spanish, maybe?] excited for more bro stories featuring Hawkeye lusting over teenage girls, bro! Groundbreaking bro, bro.


God damn it Ryan.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:12pm

Master Higgins wrote:Yeah, bro. Hawkeye is pretty good, bro. Bro! I'm so [something Spanish, maybe?] excited for more bro stories featuring Hawkeye lusting over teenage girls, bro! Groundbreaking bro, bro.

It's weird. I know you're seeing the words, but I don't think you understand any of it.

And seriously lmao at Hawkeye lusting after teenage girls. For starters, she's like 17 or 18, and she's the one that's constantly lusting after him. Hormonal, teenage girls NEVER EEEEEEVVVVVVVVERRRRRRR lust after chiseled, obnoxiously attractive men! Fraction's so absurd!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:14pm

Master Higgins wrote:Yeah, bro. Hawkeye is pretty good, bro. Bro! I'm so [something Spanish, maybe?] excited for more bro stories featuring Hawkeye lusting over teenage girls, bro! Groundbreaking bro, bro.
Why do you hate fun?

I think Higgins just convinced me to read Hawkeye.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:16pm

I think Higgins might be against this newfangled idea of independent, sexually liberated women. He'd rather them all dress up in thongs and flash their asses like pinup girls.

What did you think when Kate woke up in Marvel Boy's bed and didn't even know his name or how she'd got there? I bet you thought she was a little whore. A harlot. A strumpet! I bet the thought of these new, young writers coming in and turning female comic characters into actual people instead of just a collection of body parts for you to oogle at just fucking eats you up inside.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:18pm

LiQuid wrote:I think Higgins might be against this newfangled idea of independent, sexually liberated women. He'd rather them all dress up in thongs and flash their asses like pinup girls.

What did you think when Kate woke up in Marvel Boy's bed and didn't even know his name or how she'd got there? I bet you thought she was a little whore. A harlot. A strumpet! I bet the thought of these new, young writers coming in and turning female comic characters into actual people instead of just a collection of body parts for you to oogle at just fucking eats you up inside.


I don't even know where any of that is coming from. I don't like Hawkeye cause Fraction is a shit writer.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:19pm

Master Higgins wrote:
LiQuid wrote:I think Higgins might be against this newfangled idea of independent, sexually liberated women. He'd rather them all dress up in thongs and flash their asses like pinup girls.

What did you think when Kate woke up in Marvel Boy's bed and didn't even know his name or how she'd got there? I bet you thought she was a little whore. A harlot. A strumpet! I bet the thought of these new, young writers coming in and turning female comic characters into actual people instead of just a collection of body parts for you to oogle at just fucking eats you up inside.


I don't even know where any of that is coming from. I don't like Hawkeye cause Fraction is a shit writer.


Fraction is not a shit writer. FF and Hawkeye are fantastic.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:20pm

You say he's shit but your criticisms don't go any farther than base shit like admonishing his use of the word "bro" when there's a perfectly realistic, hilarious in-world reason behind it.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:21pm

Walzo wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:
LiQuid wrote:I think Higgins might be against this newfangled idea of independent, sexually liberated women. He'd rather them all dress up in thongs and flash their asses like pinup girls.

What did you think when Kate woke up in Marvel Boy's bed and didn't even know his name or how she'd got there? I bet you thought she was a little whore. A harlot. A strumpet! I bet the thought of these new, young writers coming in and turning female comic characters into actual people instead of just a collection of body parts for you to oogle at just fucking eats you up inside.


I don't even know where any of that is coming from. I don't like Hawkeye cause Fraction is a shit writer.


Fraction is not a shit writer. FF and Hawkeye are fantastic.


Hawkeye is Fraction wanting to be Bendis. FF is Fraction wanting to be Milligan. Most of his stuff just doesn't work for me.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:21pm

Master Higgins wrote:
Walzo wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:
LiQuid wrote:I think Higgins might be against this newfangled idea of independent, sexually liberated women. He'd rather them all dress up in thongs and flash their asses like pinup girls.

What did you think when Kate woke up in Marvel Boy's bed and didn't even know his name or how she'd got there? I bet you thought she was a little whore. A harlot. A strumpet! I bet the thought of these new, young writers coming in and turning female comic characters into actual people instead of just a collection of body parts for you to oogle at just fucking eats you up inside.


I don't even know where any of that is coming from. I don't like Hawkeye cause Fraction is a shit writer.


Fraction is not a shit writer. FF and Hawkeye are fantastic.


Hawkeye is Fraction wanting to be Bendis. FF is Fraction wanting to be Milligan. Most of his stuff just doesn't work for me.


How in the world is Hawkeye Fraction trying to be Bendis?!
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:23pm

Fraction's entire career has been Bendis-lite.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:30pm

Damn you Ryan.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:31pm

You can't even talk to him.

I actually like Bendis and have read most of his stuff that wasn't Avengers and Hawkeye is NOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooothing like any of it. At all. Even remotely.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:36pm

I really don't think that Justice League is a good book
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:39pm

Nope. Last 2 issues have been good but only because of the Atlantis crossover. The first 14 issues were a meandering mess. The Shazam backup has been amazing though. I wish it was its own comic.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:54pm

Shazam need its own book.

Also, why the hell doesn't Marvel have a Doctor Strange ongoing book yet. Same with Silver Surfer or the Annihilators.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 1:58pm

Walzo wrote:I really don't think that Justice League is a good book

LiQuid wrote:Nope. Last 2 issues have been good but only because of the Atlantis crossover. The first 14 issues were a meandering mess. The Shazam backup has been amazing though. I wish it was its own comic.
Men after my own heart.

I feel like a broken record saying how bad JL is, but it's easily the worst book in the N52, simply out of failed expectations. Shazam would be the best book in the N52 if it was by itself.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 2:02pm

I'd read a Shazam book. I don't get why JL was put so high up on everyone's best N52 books. I stuck around for a couple of issues and will pick it up here and there, but overall I haven't liked it
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 2:06pm

Walzo wrote:I don't get why JL was put so high up on everyone's best N52 books.


Johns/Lee.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 2:08pm

Master Higgins wrote:
Walzo wrote:I don't get why JL was put so high up on everyone's best N52 books.


Johns/Lee.


Bleh.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 2:23pm

I never really read Green Lantern. Couldn't get into it.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 3:01pm

Master Higgins wrote:
Walzo wrote:I don't get why JL was put so high up on everyone's best N52 books.


Johns/Lee.

That only explains why expectations were so high. That doesn't explain you lot for fellating it for so long after it was out. :lol:

I don't even think it's as bad as kenzo. I still read it and enjoy it enough month to month but it was mediocre for its first arc and straight up poor for that Steve Trevor arc. I can get behind the dumbness of the Cheetah arc, but I can see why people consider that awful as hell too. That was specifically LiQuid comics.

Kenzo, for all the bitching you do about some of the DC books you continue to read why don't you just drop like your bottom 3 or 4 books and pick up some of the more positively received Marvel or indie books? Off the top of my head you'd like something like Hawkeye or Daredevil. You don't have to get armpit deep in Marvel continuity to enjoy some of its more standalone books.

Also more people should check out Frankavilla's Black Beetle. The old fashioned pulp story isn't going to set the world on fire but it's got some of the best art around. I like it a lot more than Batman currently.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 3:05pm

If you don't get an art boner just looking at this you need some viagra:

Image
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 3:11pm

I need to pick up Black Beetle.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron