Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Rydog » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 12:30am

This is the thread to discuss our flagship podcast -- The Geekbox.

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Geekbox -- Episode 267 (2014-04-16)
Wherein we discuss Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Pulp Fiction, the best video games of 2007, the history of Brutal Legend, losing awesome jobs, the secret history of Justin Haywald, Google Glass for the masses, our desert island media, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and our favorite board games. Starring Ryan Scott, Adam Fitch, and Justin Haywald.
Running Time: 1h 29m 54s

(Note: We had separate threads for all episodes up through The Geekbox #202. We're trying a single-stickied-thread strategy for each of our shows now, to keep everything from getting lost in a ton of threads. Please post all episode discussion in this thread!)

The Geekbox website
Podcast RSS feed
Subscribe on iTunes!
Subscribe on Stitcher! (Make sure to use the promo code "GEEKBOX")
Support us on Patreon!
Follow me on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
Watch us on YouTube!
Watch us on Twitch!
Take our listener survey!
Send us some email!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 1:38am

I like individual threads because they're more inviting and focused. But I know for the GJB threads this is probably a better way to do things since there isn't a lot of people using them. But that's to be expected I guess.

I'm hoping against hope that this is the episode that the cast actually plays Chrono Cross and gives it the props it deserves, but it probably isn't.
"Kenzo. Could you supply me with your home address so I can visit/murder you? I would appreciate that! Thanx!" -LiQuid
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 4:44am

Just what we need. MORE STICKIED THREADS.
What I saw / What I heard / What I did / What I read
"This Drow bow is pretty godly. Not gonna lie, I'd probably dump $250 on it if it shot rainbows on top of the butterflies." -kenzo
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 9:56am

FYI, Star Wars has already done Seven Samurai.

The Clone Wars episode "The Bounty Hunters" is straight up a Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven remake.

Personally, I prefer individual episode threads. I mean, the only thing IN this subforum is episode discussions. If you compress them all into a single thread for each show, you're only going to have 4 threads in the whole subforum.
DarthEnder

Postby darfox8 » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 10:36am

I loved it when Karen called Ryan Scott out on his Oscar bull. I lol'd at the whole Higgins flu thing. My advice to Karen is to not give a fuck about his weird opinions. Sure, try and use facts to defuse his bull but at a certain point don't stress yourself out it's not like he's going to be right if he gets the last word.

Also, thanks a lot for pimping the /alltalk podcast. We appreciate it.
-If you play Little Big Planet please check out my levels. http://lbp.me/u/darfox8/levels
-Here's one of my Levels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM7F6Rg7pDE
-Megaman Legends > *any game you like*
darfox8

Postby IRL_Troll » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 11:10am

I don't even know where to begin with Ryan's ignorance towards vaccines and almost germ theory in general. But, you can't reason someone out of a position they weren't reasoned into. A noble effort though Karen and Ryan
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby Adam Fitch » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 11:37am

Higgins needs to take a remedial human biology class. Immediately.
Adam Fitch
The Evil Twin

Postby kenzo » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 1:58pm

I'm sure Higgins says some really stupid shit about the flu/the human body. And I know that as nerds, we're all supposed to be smarter than that/probably are. But just to play devil's advocate, the vast majority of the regular population probably believes similarly dumb things/is misinformed about shit. Hell, I was watching a news report about how some doctors and nurses - the two groups of people who SHOULD KNOW BEST - refuse to get flu or other immunizations because of pure ignorance. People IRL are dumb and uninformed, whatcha gonna do?
"Kenzo. Could you supply me with your home address so I can visit/murder you? I would appreciate that! Thanx!" -LiQuid
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 3:03pm

Just read the plot synopsis for Gabriel Knight and shit sounds fucking SO bad. Like awful nerd genre fiction. Then I went and skimmed through some youtube videos to see the performances and they were terrible too. The scene I saw in particular has the most hysterical jive talking negro I've ever seen in a video game. How this is the best of Sierra's adventure games I have no idea.
"This Drow bow is pretty godly. Not gonna lie, I'd probably dump $250 on it if it shot rainbows on top of the butterflies." -kenzo
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 4:18pm

LiQuid wrote:How this is the best of Sierra's adventure games I have no idea.
It is the best because Ryan Scott. :lol:
kenzo

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 4:26pm

Higgins Science.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Konanda » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 7:08pm

So what happens when this thread reaches 10 pages or so in 5 episodes? I mean maybe that works for something like the Comedy Button or Good Job Brain (which are conversly more popular and much more popular) where the threads are generally dead.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 7:30pm

The plan right now is to just keep the threads going, and start new ones when they get crazy big. Think neogaf, I guess.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 7:40pm

This place could stand to be more like GAF.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 7:50pm

LiQuid wrote:This place could stand to be more like GAF.

It's nice to want things.
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 8:17pm

I don't understand how Higgins understands that germs are good because they help you build antibodies against viruses but doesn't understand that the flu shot does the exact same thing. It exposes you to the flu virus so that your body will build up antibodies for it.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 8:25pm

LiQuid wrote:Higgin's is the Geekbox's Brock.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 8:28pm

DarthEnder wrote:I don't understand how Higgins understands that germs are good because they help you build antibodies against viruses but doesn't understand that the flu shot does the exact same thing. It exposes you to the flu virus so that your body will build up antibodies for it.

...causing Captain Trips.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 8:31pm

Even if you're not patient 0 you're still not going to survive the apocalypse since you live in a pretty dense urban environment. You might as well enjoy a flu-free existence until medical science wipes us out.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 8:32pm

But I've never had the flu, nor a flu shot...
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 8:36pm

That won't matter once it's airborne!
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 8:37pm

Master Higgins wrote:But I've never had the flu, nor a flu shot...

Yes you have. You just mistook it for a cold.
kenzo

Postby meDotJS » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 8:38pm

Neither have I (well, at least since I was 7), but the only reason I don't get the shots is my fear of needles (seriously, best anti-drug tool ever, give everyone a phobia of needles and they'll never take any drugs that require them), and the only two reasons I don't get the flu is because I wash my hands to the point where they bleed (though that has more to do with Wisconsin winters than hand washing), and every single person I know is a wuss who quarantines themselves to their homes the moment they even sneeze.

(Seriously though, fuck Wisconsin winters, even with hand-lotion my hands are still dry to the point of constantly bleeding during the colder days, this is unbearable at times)

My point that I was trying to make when I prematurely hit the post button (it's an issue men my age have to deal with) is that causation does not equal correlation. It could be a million different things keeping you from getting the Flu. It could be good hygiene, the fact that you work at a comic-book shop and therefore have customers who would probably find any excuse they could to stay home (like not feeling so well) and also probably hate any kind of contact, maybe it's just luck, maybe it has to do with living in friggin southern California and calling anything below 70F cold, who knows? It could be none of these things, but I honestly doubt it is some major government conspiracy.
Last edited by meDotJS on Jan 16th, 2013 @ 8:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
meDotJS

Postby LiQuid » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 8:41pm

As someone who has had the flu before, I can say that it was easily the most miserable week of my entire life but the reason I don't get a flu shot isn't because I'm a conspiracy theorist retard like Higgins, it's because I'm better than the flu. I welcome it to try and come at me again. If you're a pussy ass kid go ahead and get a flu shot. If you're old you probably already have one foot in the grave and don't give a fuck. But for a young, healthy adult there's no reason to bother with that shit. Just get a couple bottles of Gatorade, camp out on your shitter with a puke bucket and sweat it out like a fucking man.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 8:52pm

LiQuid wrote:As someone who has had the flu before, I can say that it was easily the most miserable week of my entire life but the reason I don't get a flu shot isn't because I'm a conspiracy theorist retard like Higgins, it's because I'm better than the flu. I welcome it to try and come at me again. If you're a pussy ass kid go ahead and get a flu shot. If you're old you probably already have one foot in the grave and don't give a fuck. But for a young, healthy adult there's no reason to bother with that shit. Just get a couple bottles of Gatorade, camp out on your shitter with a puke bucket and sweat it out like a fucking man.

If having the flu means you've got a fever and throwing up/diarrhea for a few days, I can almost 100% say I've never had the flu.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 8:56pm

There are a lot of different ways it can manifest. It could be as mild as just cold symptoms with a fever. When was the last time you had a fever?
LiQuid

Postby puppybox » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 9:38pm

The flu probably went through my house at Thanksgiving this year. My daughter was sick for a few days, I was uncomfortable / mildly sick for like a day, but my wife was out for a week. Even if I was fine chances are I passed it on to someone who wasn't :(

I didn't get a shot this year because I didn't even remember too. Seems like in years past there was a lot more advertising and signage about getting it (of course maybe I just didn't go out that much). I didn't even realize it was flu season until people were getting sick.

Anyway, how does Karen afford to travel to all those marathons :shock:
puppybox

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 9:40pm

I've had the flu before but it was nothing compared to this sinus infection I got this one time.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jan 16th, 2013 @ 10:31pm

LiQuid wrote:There are a lot of different ways it can manifest. It could be as mild as just cold symptoms with a fever. When was the last time you had a fever?
This. Every year, there are different strains that go around, some more virulent and with worse symptoms than others. This year's is supposed to be some of the worst on record. Other years, it's no worse than a mild cold and you didn't think much of it. I normally didn't get flu shots because I hated shots and thought I was a badass. Then, four or five years ago, I caught the worst flu of my life. Whole body felt like it had been hit by a car, I was puking and had explosive diarrhea, I couldn't keep anything down. I felt like I was seriously dying, probably dangerously dehydrated, and the pain/stuffed up sinuses was so bad I couldn't even sleep at night. The worst of it also happened the mother fucking night before going on vacation. The next day, we had to wake up at 4am (I didn't wake up because I never fell asleep that night) to drive to the airport and fly to Hawaii. Our flight was delayed for over twelve hours. Imagine dying, of the worst illness ever, being totally exhausted (because you're ill and haven't slept in 40 hours), and not even able to fucking lay down because you're at an airport terminal and then in a cramped as fuck airplane for fucking 20 hours straight. Worst day of my life, and it ruined what should have been a trip to paradise. After that I've vowed to never miss a flu shot again and you know what? I've only had flu/cold symptoms once or twice ever since. IMO everyone should get flu shots. If you don't, you're only fucking yourself.

Mr_eX wrote:I've had the flu before but it was nothing compared to this sinus infection I got this one time.
I got a sinus infection this year because I had the flu - that's the other thing about catching the flu is that it can lead to secondary infections while your body is messed up. If I put off going to the doctor because again, I thought I was a badass. When I finally went, if I hadn't arrived that day, I would have blown an ear drum.

puppybox wrote:Anyway, how does Karen afford to travel to all those marathons :shock:
You'd be surprised how much disposable money you have when you don't have to pay for raising kids.
kenzo

Postby Rydog » Jan 17th, 2013 @ 2:53am

Master Higgins wrote:But I've never had the flu, nor a flu shot...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking_(fallacy)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Next
Forum Statistics