Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby totoro » Jul 29th, 2016 @ 3:59pm

compellinggameplay wrote:
d1nonlyclo wrote:Also there is no V in the way Hawai'i or in the way the locals pronounce it. Don't be a bunch of haoles.

DO YOU SEE THIS ADAM?!

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro

Postby DarthEnder » Jul 29th, 2016 @ 7:57pm

Adam Fitch wrote:I basically am this guy sometimes:
Is that the guy from Adam Ruins Everything?
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Jul 29th, 2016 @ 9:30pm

The first step towards recovery is admitting you have a problem.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Aug 2nd, 2016 @ 7:34pm

I'm with Higgins that the fact that you can't collect other classes loot in WoW's appearances totally sucks.

So I solo some old raid trying to get rogue sets, and I'm getting tons of armor from other classes, but none of it gets saved to my collection, even though the collection is account-wide? So not only do I have to run this raid a bunch of times to get all the armor for one character, I got to run it a bunch of times with EVERY character, and throw 90% of the stuff that drops away? Man, fuck you Blizzard.

On the subject of the Gameboy, I'm with Ryan. I never actually cared about portability, so when I tried out Mario Land and the game was categorically worse than the original SMB in every single way in an era when the SNES was already out, I just had no interest in the console.

I didn't finally get around to getting into the system until years later when I got Pokemon, Link's Awakening and a Super Gameboy all at once.
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Aug 3rd, 2016 @ 5:11am

On the subject of gaming accomplishments, for mine, the biggest one is collecting all 720 current Pokemon.

As far as the games you mentioned:

I beat Battletoads back in the day(a feat I can no longer replicate, even using save states).
I beat all of Demon's Crest, including the Dark Demon bonus boss.

I never beat Zelda II. I got as far as the Thunderbird in the Great Palace.
I never beat Ninja Gaiden. I got as far as the boss fight against your father in the last level, saw how far the game sent you back if you have to continue after reaching that boss fight, and said fuck that forever.
I never got past level 3 of TMNT. Getting past the dam sucked, and the fact that you couldn't continue if you did just made me not want to play it anymore after getting to level 3 a couple times.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Aug 3rd, 2016 @ 5:01pm

I've always wanted to try and make a legitimate effort at beating the first 2 Zelda games.

When I had my NES as a kid my family did not have a lot of money so we got a lot of the NES games that I played from a friend of my uncle who had access to either stolen or unsold stock and sold them to my parents for dirt cheap. So I never got to spend much time with a lot of the NES classics many people love, instead games like John Elway Quarterback, Pinbot and Operation Wolf (without a zapper) are MY classics (sadface). I only played very limited amounts of games like the Zeldas, Metroid, Castlevanias, etc at friends houses and when they were available at the local rental store (not often).

Maybe I'll snag one of those little NESs and give it an earnest shot.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Aug 4th, 2016 @ 8:30pm

LiQuid wrote:Maybe I'll snag one of those little NESs and give it an earnest shot.
I was just going to suggest that, under the assumption you aren't willing to just use an emulator for some reason.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Aug 4th, 2016 @ 8:55pm

Yeah you know, I've emulated NES games so many times over the course of my adolescent and adult life and something about the format makes it hard to stick with it. Also PC gamepad D-pads are always hot trubbish.

The game lineup on those NES minis is practically every single game that I wanted to own as a kid but never could cuz of suburban poverty.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Aug 5th, 2016 @ 3:09am

Eh. It should have had Castlevania 3 instead of 2. And River City Ransom instead of Double Dragon 2.

It also should have had Contra 1, Mega Man 3, Metal Gear, and either Dragon Warrior 3 or 4.
DarthEnder

Postby kenzo » Aug 5th, 2016 @ 3:17am

Iwata didn't die for this. It's gonna be five years flat before Nintendo goes full Konami.
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Aug 5th, 2016 @ 3:28am

kenzo wrote:Iwata didn't die for this. It's gonna be five years flat before Nintendo goes full Konami.

Makes pachinko games full-time?
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Aug 17th, 2016 @ 7:32pm

On the subject of Empire Strikes Back being dark, it's really not. It has a dark ENDING, sure. But the movie itself has plenty of humor and likeability to it. The majority of Han & Leia's cute interactions are in Empire. And Yoda and Lando both have plenty of humorous moments.

On the subject of Suicide Squad, I actually agree with Higgins ONLY on the argument of why you have the rest of the team there instead of soldiers. It's because if you send in the Suicide Squad, you send in the ENTIRE Squad. Even if you're only sending the team in for Deadshot and Diablo, you still send in the rest of the team as well because they're a unit. There's no real reason NOT to send them if you're already sending part of the unit.
DarthEnder

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 18th, 2016 @ 4:53am

People keep bringing up "Why was Harley Quinn on the Suicide Squad". Why is she ever on the team in the comics? What could she ever bring to the team?

The unicorn thing was brought up when Captain Boomerang was introduced, in his rap sheet thing.
CrossXhunteR

Postby GiantAsianMan » Aug 18th, 2016 @ 7:13am

CrossXhunteR wrote:People keep bringing up "Why was Harley Quinn on the Suicide Squad". Why is she ever on the team in the comics? What could she ever bring to the team?

Issue sales.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby PhuckThisGeyEarth » Aug 18th, 2016 @ 12:32pm

Long time listener and DC fan, used to feel bad how Ryan Higgins was treated in disagreements in the early years but his DC bias and his irrational arguments about (mostly) comics is getting embarrassing. If Trump financially sponsored Higgins he would make an incredible politician after hearing him break Ryan Scott and Bryce Larsen with his ridiculous points.
PhuckThisGeyEarth

Postby isthatabear » Aug 19th, 2016 @ 12:47am

PhuckThisGeyEarth wrote:Long time listener and DC fan, used to feel bad how Ryan Higgins was treated in disagreements in the early years but his DC bias and his irrational arguments about (mostly) comics is getting embarrassing. If Trump financially sponsored Higgins he would make an incredible politician after hearing him break Ryan Scott and Bryce Larsen with his ridiculous points.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. The first half of this episode was painful.
isthatabear

Postby LiQuid » Aug 19th, 2016 @ 2:24am

Every time a new comic book movie comes out both the Geekbox and the Comic Conspiracy become unlistenable to me. These guys don't even realize that they have the literal exact same conversation every time, too.
LiQuid

Postby PhuckThisGeyEarth » Aug 19th, 2016 @ 1:15pm

Fascinated with the Karazhan video, too bad I had to stop when the game audio was way too loud compared to the commentary, so about 11 minutes in.
PhuckThisGeyEarth

Postby compellinggameplay » Aug 22nd, 2016 @ 2:24pm

LiQuid wrote:Every time a new comic book movie comes out both the Geekbox and the Comic Conspiracy become unlistenable to me. These guys don't even realize that they have the literal exact same conversation every time, too.

I always imagined that Comics Conspiracy was a weird reverse-world podcast where everyone agreed with Higgins
compellinggameplay
Super Intern

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 2:48pm

LiQuid wrote:Every time a new comic book movie comes out both the Geekbox and the Comic Conspiracy become unlistenable to me. These guys don't even realize that they have the literal exact same conversation every time, too.

I always imagined that Comics Conspiracy was a weird reverse-world podcast where everyone agreed with Higgins

Have you met Bryce or Toby...
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby isthatabear » Aug 24th, 2016 @ 8:23pm

Master Higgins wrote:

Have you met Bryce or Toby...

I'm listening to the CC podcast for the first time to confirm this :lol:
isthatabear

Postby DarthEnder » Aug 25th, 2016 @ 4:26am

Jesus Christ. I said last week that I actually agreed with Higgins that Ryan's argument against Harley/Boomerang etc. being there was dumb. But Higgins comeback to that(that he took a whole week to come up with) is "No arguments are valid. They only exist for haters."?

What the fuck dude. There is a perfectly valid rebuttal to Ryan's argument there. You didn't have to use a dismissive wave of your dick.

The idea that you can't be a fan of something and still pick it apart is also ridiculous. And is pretty much the entire point of CinemaSins.

And I totally want to hear you guys talk about WoW. I just want you to wait until after Legion is out and you actually have something substantial to talk about.
DarthEnder

Postby slinkdickens » Aug 25th, 2016 @ 2:33pm

What Higgins fails to realize is that when a movie is not engaging (i.e. bad), then it's natural for the audience's mind to wander and start dwelling on what he calls nitpicks. All of the logical loopholes don't matter when a movie is good.

It's true that Ryan Scott dwells on nitpicks when he doesn't like a movie, but that's just a normal guy (as opposed to film critic guy) response to a bad movie. When pressed to give an answer as to why a movie is bad, your average person will fixate on some thing or things that took him out of the moment - in other words, the things that prevented him from being entertained.

When it comes down to it, Suicide Squad is a terrible movie because it's not entertaining. I think most would simply just say the movie is boring. People are going to give different reasons as to why it was boring, but I think from a storytelling point of view it's boring because the character development is done poorly. I think people responded to the marketing because it sells this promise of a bunch of interesting characters. Then you see the movie and that promise is broken. The little character development it has feels forced (Diablo), incomplete (Harley Quinn), or manipulative (Deadshot). That results in the audience having little investment in the action, which makes any action scenes boring (you only get away with that if you're bringing something new to the table in terms of action, and Suicide Squad definitely does not).
slinkdickens

Postby jw_6179 » Sep 5th, 2016 @ 4:24pm

The film you were thinking of was "Phantasm", which is actually a super entertaining series. The ice cream man in those films is a kind of goofy bad-ass, a'la Ash. They tend to be more horror-comedy than comedy-horror, so more like ED2 than Army of Darkness, but they're actually a lot of fun.
jw_6179

Postby DarthEnder » Sep 8th, 2016 @ 1:35am

Wall to wall WoW discussion this week, and I loved it.

I'm with you guys, I'm loving Legion.

On the subject of one of the dungeons being accessable in the overworld, that's true of pretty much all of the dungeons in the game. Almost all of the dungeons in the game fit into the world geometry of the larger world. And if the dungeon has outdoor sections, and you can fly, you can usually fly right into them. They won't have any of the enemies or anything in them if you don't enter through the entrance, but you can still land and walk around.

This is most notable in Blackwing Lair from vanilla. Where the final boss Nefarian's throne room was located on an outdoor terrace. In Cataclysm you can just fly up and land on that terrace, and it's actually the entrance to a new raid instance, Blackwing Descent.
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Sep 14th, 2016 @ 6:21am

My ringtone is also the MGS codec sound.

The thing that always scared me as a kid were the rotoscoped orcs and Balrog in the old cartoon version of Lord of the Rings. Not the Rankin & Bass versions of Hobbit or Return of the King.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Sep 24th, 2016 @ 11:07pm

Rofl Justin thinks 999 is overrated, what now kenzo
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Oct 7th, 2016 @ 8:17am

I'm with Ryan on the Gameboy thing. I never really liked it much. Portability meant nothing to me and every game I played on it always seemed to be the worst game in it's series.

Super Mario Land was worse than SMB1 and this game came out after SMB3. Castlevania Adventure was actually a worse game than Simon's Quest. Final Fantasy Legend was the worst FF game I'd ever played(though I now know those were technically SaGa games).

And I hated playing the thing too. Shitty batteries, a screen you can't see most of the time, etc. YEARS later, I finally got a Super Gameboy which solved those problems for me. I got it mostly to play Link's Awakening and Pokemon, and I loved those games, but this was, like, 8 years after the system came out.

I do give it credit for creating series like Kirby, Mana, and Gargoyle's Quest, but I'd never go back to play the Gameboy versions of those games. They just went on to become so much better on other platforms. And most of the time, that platform was the NES, an OLDER system.
DarthEnder

Postby kenzo » Oct 7th, 2016 @ 8:45am

Gameboy were great, and if you hated them I pity you.
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Oct 8th, 2016 @ 6:18am

I didn't hate it, it was just an objectively worse system than the one that came out 5 years earlier, and a vastly worse system than the one that came out the same time.

Like I said, if you don't care about portability at all, there was really NOTHING good about the thing.

Hmm...maybe I did hate it.
DarthEnder

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics