Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Oct 8th, 2016 @ 7:00am

I could play my gameboy at school.

I could play gameboy while taking a poop.

I could play gameboy while sitting out on my front porch.

I could play my gameboy when I went to my friends house after school and we could talk about pro stratz for beating bosses in Final Fantasy Legend 3.

The gameboy has like 2 or 3 dozen greatest of all time games.

The gameboy has the greatest sound chip in the history of video games.

Before the gameboy the best option we had were these fucking dumpsters.

You can't say something like "if you don't care about portability" the gameboy sucked, because the fact that you could play FULL video games on a machine that fit in your pocket in the 80s was fucking unheard of. It was fucking sorcery.

I literally cried the Christmas morning when I woke up and received a second hand Gameboy in an ugly carrying case with copies of classic games like Kirby's Dream Land, Gargoyle's Quest, Tetris, Balloon Kid and others.

My JRPG obsession was fostered during my time with the gameboy. I'd only dabbled in Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior and didn't really "get" them at the time, and even now I feel like both of those games are vastly inferior to about a half dozen JRPGs on the gameboy like FF Adventure and the 3 SaGa (FF Legend) games, Great Greed, Rolan's Curse and motherfucking pokeyman.

Gameboy is better than the NES. Gameboy is one of the greatest video game consoles of all time.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 8th, 2016 @ 8:58am

When LiQuid is right, he's right!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Oct 8th, 2016 @ 3:09pm

Saying the Gameboy is worse than the NES in every way is an outright lie. At the very least, it has a better sound chip than the NES.

The best Zelda game was on Gameboy.

The best Kirby game was on Gameboy.

The best Mario game was on Gameboy (Mario Land 2 - fight me)

The best 2D Final Fantasy/SaGa game was on Gameboy (FFL3 baby!)
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Oct 8th, 2016 @ 10:23pm

I wish there was a will/way for Nintendo to do some kind of upgraded reissue of the original Gameboy with some modern technology powering it. Just use the same original case (or the GB Pocket form factor, which I really liked) but with modern internals. Built in battery, modern display with the pixel density of a modern phone instead of the old dot matrix. Could be like their NES Mini, powered on internal memory instead of using the old carts but just have a collection of the greatest hits from the GB library all on one unit that felt like the original. Much like with the NES, emulating them on a PC just doesn't feel right. Using an Xbox controller makes them play like shit. I'm starting to get all nostalgic now. I wonder what an old Gameboy sells for on ebay. I still have some of my old carts...
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Oct 10th, 2016 @ 4:22am

LiQuid wrote:The gameboy has the greatest sound chip in the history of video games.
Oh fuck off.

LiQuid wrote:Before the gameboy the best option we had were these fucking dumpsters.
That's why I carried books with me instead. And saved the video gaming for my nice comfy, properly lit house.

LiQuid wrote:You can't say something like "if you don't care about portability" the gameboy sucked
Yes. Yes I can.

LiQuid wrote:because the fact that you could play FULL video games on a machine that fit in your pocket in the 80s was fucking unheard of. It was fucking sorcery.
Yes. Full video games, that were worse than the ones I was already playing.

Being portable doesn't MATTER to me if the games are worse. If you give me a console that only plays Atari E.T. but it also lets me fly, then I'm gonna think that's neat and all, but it's still a shitty game console.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Oct 12th, 2016 @ 4:12am

DarthEnder wrote:
LiQuid wrote:The gameboy has the greatest sound chip in the history of video games.
Oh fuck off.

No, you fuck off please.

https://youtu.be/n-CUWMOAu6o?t=39s
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Oct 14th, 2016 @ 6:25am

My big takeaway from the Luke Cage series was that I really wish his superhero name was Bulletproof instead of Power Man.

Man, I freaking LOVE the first 3 Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

The 4th is such a disappointment because it completely misses the point of the first 3. Which is that, Jack Sparrow is not the main character.

Jack is like the Genie in Aladdin. He's the most entertaining character, and he's necessary for the plot, but the movie is ABOUT Aladdin. The Pirates movies are ABOUT Will and Elizabeth.

The characters that the 4th movie SHOULD have been about were the preacher and the mermaid. Instead, those characters aren't introduced until, like, halfway into the movie. And they focused on Jack instead. Instead of him just being the wacky plot device that upends everyone's lives that he was intended to be.

Also, Keith Richard's appearance in the 4th movie actively ruins his appearance in the 3rd, which was great.
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Nov 2nd, 2016 @ 9:51pm

I had the EXACT same experience with my Grandfather that Fitch had with his mom.

He walked into the room one day while I was playing Final Fantasy IV and wanted to know where the music was coming from and didn't know video games could sound like that.

Protip: When renting games, I always played in Save slot 3. Greatly increased the chances of it still being there next time I rented the game.
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Nov 9th, 2016 @ 9:08am

I do wish they'd made Danny Rand Asian-American. I feel like that whole...thing, is something they can get away with doing once, and they JUST did it with Doctor Strange, so maybe don't do it twice in a row.

And for the record Higgins, in Attack on Titan, Mikasa is EXPRESSLY Asian. You're right though that none of the other characters are.
DarthEnder

Postby AdamFitchFan » Nov 10th, 2016 @ 9:11am

So I felt like I needed to post here even though I rarely do because I'm worried about Adam Fitch.
I'd say that about pre E3 time this year (2016) Adam has been hardly talking in episodes like he did in 2015, 2014, 2013 etc. Not to mention that when he does talk he sounds very bored and tired.

Not to mention that he barely is on episodes anymore each week its a surprise if he shows up now and when he does he barely even talks anymore so its just sad.

So Higgins and Ryan and Justin pls force Adam to talk more! Is he dealing with depression or something? I'm starting to think he might have something going on that keeps him from talking like his usual self :(

Also have Alice on more episodes it was nice while it lasted.
AdamFitchFan

Postby LiQuid » Nov 10th, 2016 @ 9:23am

Adam's married now so his balls are gone. RIP.
LiQuid

Postby Toby » Nov 20th, 2016 @ 1:52am

I'm with Kenzo and Liquid!!!

Game Boy by far my all time favorite system, hell I still play it to this day! I still hunt down games on ebay every now and then that I missed as a kid.

There is just a certain charm to them.

I think SNES is my second favorite system, followed by NES.
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby DarthEnder » Nov 24th, 2016 @ 2:55pm

Hey, one of you Patreon Backers ask them to come up with a list of 30 games for an SNES Classic Edition.

Apply the same limitations that the NES Classic Edition had:
1. Only NA released games(it's not the Super Famicom Mini).
2. No licensed characters(not sure if that's a real rule, but the NES Classic didn't have any games with licensed characters).

Here's mine!

1. Super Mario World
2. Yoshi's Island
3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
4. Super Metroid
5. F-Zero
6. Starfox
7. Earthbound
8. Super Punch-Out
9. Super Mario Kart
10. Kirby Super Star
11. Kirby's Dream Course
12. Donkey Kong Country
13. Sim City
14. Super Mario RPG
15. Final Fantasy II
16. Final Fantasy III
17. Chrono Trigger
18. Secret of Mana
19. Actraiser
20. Street Fighter II Turbo
21. Final Fight
22. Mega Man X
23. Mega Man 7
24. Super Ghouls N' Ghosts
25. Demon's Crest
26. Super Castlevania IV
27. Contra III
28. Sunset Riders
29. Gradius III
30. Super Bomberman

All told, 4 companies. Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, Square.
Last edited by DarthEnder on Nov 26th, 2016 @ 5:06pm, edited 2 times in total.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Nov 25th, 2016 @ 1:34am

Find 2 games in there to drop for Tetris Attack and Demon Crest and we're in business. I say all 3 Mega man X games are expendable. Donkey Kong Country too. Those games are shit.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Nov 25th, 2016 @ 2:23am

No Harvest Moon? Shame.
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Nov 26th, 2016 @ 5:01pm

LiQuid wrote:Find 2 games in there to drop for Tetris Attack and Demon Crest and we're in business. I say all 3 Mega man X games are expendable.
If you mean any 1 or 2 of them, sure. If you mean all 3, then you're a dumb dummy that's dumb and also shitty.

I could see replacing X2 and X3 with Mega Man 7 and Demon's Crest.

LiQuid wrote:Donkey Kong Country too. Those games are shit.
Yeah, but there's no way it wouldn't be on there. Donkey Kong is too important a character to Nintendo.

A Fire Emblem game would have been a given too except none of the SNES ones ever came out in NA.

kenzo wrote:No Harvest Moon? Shame.
Honestly, I never even heard of that series until well after the 16-bit era.
DarthEnder

Postby Toby » Nov 30th, 2016 @ 11:56am

Thats a solid 30 titles.

Personally I would love for Rocky & Pocky, Skyblazer to be on it. And not sure if the following had NA releases - Super Parodius, Pop'n'Twinbee, and Rainbow Bell Adventures.
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby DarthEnder » Dec 1st, 2016 @ 1:44am

So is Ryan just aggressively being a dick just straight up refusing to have spoiler discussions at the ass end of the podcast?
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Dec 11th, 2016 @ 8:40pm

Higgins can go fuck himself. Guardians was totally a comedy. And that's why it's the best Marvel move.

The new trailer for 2 is the best thing ever. And if the entire movie was just the Guardians interacting with each other, it would be the best movie ever.

Ronin or Ego or who the fuck ever can eat a dick. Get out of my movie. You're wasting valuable Star Lord and Rocket time.
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Dec 17th, 2016 @ 5:28pm

I'm actually with Adam on this one. Why would you listen to the soundtrack to a musical before seeing the musical? It would spoil the shit out of the musical.

A musical is not an album. A musical has a narrative. A plot to it. And the soundtrack isn't just, like, an ambient score, it's how most of the dialog is delivered. Why would I want to listen to that without any of the context that defines it?

It'd be like listening to a radio play for Star Wars before seeing Star Wars. No thanks.
DarthEnder

Postby GiantAsianMan » Dec 18th, 2016 @ 7:49am

DarthEnder wrote:I'm actually with Adam on this one. Why would you listen to the soundtrack to a musical before seeing the musical? It would spoil the shit out of the musical.

This assumes that story is the only reason see a musical, and that seems awfully boring to me. A musical should be both a narrative and a great collection of songs. The songs should be so essential to the narrative that removing even one should cause the story to fall apart. But at the same time, the songs should be good enough to where if you remove the story, the songs are still listenable and enjoyable. I see no problem with getting familiar with the themes and motifs of a show before seeing it. In some cases (many, IMO), it can even enhance the live theatre experience. Staging, props, choreography, etc.- the "how" of telling a story can matter so much more just the "what" of it.

With specific regard to Hamilton, I absolutely believe this to be true. So much is happening with the music, I think knowing it going into the show helps with the viewing. And this is actually my one big complaint about the show- the lyrics (at times) are so fast, exact, and precise that they can be hard to follow the first time through (see: Lafayette's double and triple time raps in Yorktown). This can, in turn, draw your attention away from what's happening on stage to direct it towards thinking, "wait a second, what did he just say?" and that can be a problem. But if you've internalized the music, you don't need to give it second thought as you watch the staging, props, choreography, etc. Of course, you shouldn't have to be familiar with the material beforehand in order to enjoy a show, and I don't think *have* to be familiar with Hamilton prior to seeing it, but I think it can help. Wait, no, let me rephrase that- it's not that it necessarily helps when seeing the show, it's that it doesn't hurt or diminish the experience of seeing Hamilton by knowing the music and lyrics beforehand. Also, Hamilton's also a sung-through musical, so if narrative context is a concern for you, you won't actually miss any listening to the soundtrack (save for one scene, which was left off the recording). Lin-Manuel Miranda's work is so strong, Hamilton is absolutely worth listening to without having seen the show (as is The Hamilton Mixtape).
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby DarthEnder » Dec 20th, 2016 @ 12:21am

GiantAsianMan wrote:But at the same time, the songs should be good enough to where if you remove the story, the songs are still listenable and enjoyable.
Right, which you can do indefinitely after seeing the play and not spoil the narrative.

Although I guess in the case of Hamilton there's a good chance you'll just never be able to see the play.
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Jan 7th, 2017 @ 1:48am

"So he can be like, "Who has the high ground now?""

You got me with that one Ryan.

Also, if the Han Solo movie can do for "12 parsecs" what Rogue One did for the Death Star flaw, then I'm all in.
DarthEnder

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jan 7th, 2017 @ 7:05am

DarthEnder wrote:Also, if the Han Solo movie can do for "12 parsecs" what Rogue One did for the Death Star flaw, then I'm all in.

They already doubled-down on that mistake in Force Awakens, so I wouldn't hold your breath.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby DarthEnder » Jan 7th, 2017 @ 10:00am

GiantAsianMan wrote:They already doubled-down on that mistake in Force Awakens, so I wouldn't hold your breath.
It's not about "fixing" the mistake. It's about coming up with an explanation so that it doesn't need to be fixed.

The EU already did it once, I'm curious to see how nuCanon handles it.
DarthEnder

Postby slinkdickens » Jan 9th, 2017 @ 2:07pm

I'm catching up on podcast and just listened to the one where you bash Universal Studios...

If your impression of Universal Studios is from pre-Wizarding World of Harry Potter, then I can understand why you think it's garbage. However, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is hands down the most thematic "land" in any park anywhere. It blows anything Disney has out of the water (Cars Land comes close and the new Avatar land might top it when it opens). They also opened a Springfield land (Simpsons theme) in Hollywood and it likewise tops just about anything Disney has done. Additionally, Comcast bought NBCUniversal in 2011 and pumped a ton of money into the theme park division. Among other things, they dropped $100 million on the Transformers ride, $1.6B on Harry Potter and Despicable Me in Universal Studios Hollywood, and are building a $3.25B park in Beijing.

In 2015, Comcast spent $1.5B to buy controlling stake in Universal Studios Japan. Given their investment and recent track record, I have no doubt the Nintendo Land will be on par with the things they've done recently.
slinkdickens

Postby DarthEnder » Jan 23rd, 2017 @ 6:50pm

On the subject of Mother 3, I have a theory.

We know that Nintendo isn't going to start charging for it's online service until several months after the Switch's launch. And we know that one of those features is going to be that each month, you'll be able to play a virtual console game for free for the duration of that month.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the month the first start charging for that service is going to be the month they release Mother 3, and Mother 3 is going to be the free game of the month. Just to get a ton of rabid fanboys to sign up for the service.

Hell, I wouldn't put it past them to make it so you can't buy Mother 3 until AFTER the free month ended. So you'd HAVE to get the service if you wanted to play the game during the first month.
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Jan 26th, 2017 @ 7:21pm

DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Jan 29th, 2017 @ 6:40am

I wonder if Higgins is even aware of his hypocrisy.

"It can't get a fair review, because everyone has already decided to hate it." from someone who can't give it a fair review because he's already decided to love it.

At least the people prejudging it negatively have the precedent of other the other movies in this series.
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 3rd, 2017 @ 7:35pm

My take on the subject of who Rey is:

Rey isn't going to end up being Luke's kid. She's the reincarnation of Anakain Skywalker's Force convergence.

Anakin wasn't born normally. Palpatine used the Force to create him to be this being of ultimate Force power. And after Vader died, this convergence didn't just vanish. It was reborn into another person.

That's why Rey is so capable in the Force despite never having been trained. That's why Rey has this psychic connection to Anakin's lightsaber. Because it used to be hers. Because she's Vader reborn. And it's why Luke looks so sad to see her, especially holding it.
DarthEnder

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics