Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 11:12am

John Carter and Amazing Spider-Man are not bad movies.

Brave should have been in the worst movies list.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Walzo » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 12:01pm

House at the End of the Street was the worst movie that I had seen last year. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D is also fucking stupid, however nothing holds a candle to Birdemic 1 and 2.
Walzo

Postby jw_6179 » Jan 26th, 2013 @ 4:46am

2012 game of the year: Crusader Kings II.

Disappointing this game didn't even make the nominations list, I know it was released extremely early in the year and these sorts of lists skew late in the year, but there was no other game I sunk more time in to in the past year than CK2. The emergent stories that come out of a campaign from that game are pretty amazing, quite honestly, it's visually quite good looking, deep mechanics, etc.

But hey, I guess an iPhone remake of an old flash game is a way more worthy nominee.

In movies, no mention of Dredd? It's a shame, for I found that to be a better "call back" to old '80s action films than the Expendables series. But I guess people would have had to seen it to pick it, and uh, the box office numbers on that film were ... Not good. Haha.
jw_6179

Postby kenzo » Jan 26th, 2013 @ 5:02am

jw_6179 wrote:2012 game of the year: Crusader Kings II.

Disappointing this game didn't even make the nominations list, I know it was released extremely early in the year and these sorts of lists skew late in the year, but there was no other game I sunk more time in to in the past year than CK2. The emergent stories that come out of a campaign from that game are pretty amazing, quite honestly, it's visually quite good looking, deep mechanics, etc.

But hey, I guess an iPhone remake of an old flash game is a way more worthy nominee.

In movies, no mention of Dredd? It's a shame, for I found that to be a better "call back" to old '80s action films than the Expendables series. But I guess people would have had to seen it to pick it, and uh, the box office numbers on that film were ... Not good. Haha.
One thing you gotta remember about their list is it's simply limited to the shit they've played/watched this year - which isn't much apparently. Would you rather they declare something to be the best that they haven't even experienced first hand?

That said, I'm so glad nobody on the podcast said that Walking Dead is their GotY, because then I would have probably punched something until either the thing i was punching broke, or until I fractured my hand.
kenzo

Postby jw_6179 » Jan 26th, 2013 @ 5:06am

kenzo wrote:One thing you gotta remember about their list is it's simply limited to the shit they've played/watched this year - which isn't much apparently. Would you rather they declare something to be the best that they haven't even experienced first hand?

That said, I'm so glad nobody on the podcast said that Walking Dead is their GotY, because then I would have probably punched something until either the thing i was punching broke, or until I fractured my hand.

I guess I had just hoped the game had gotten more exposure. I had heard it sold well above what Paradox had expected it to, and it's a fun game to discuss (Particularly if you like the books/television show Game of Thrones -- in a lot of ways, this is the best GoT game made [Faint praise, I know.]) Crazy little stories will emerge, and they're actually pretty fun to talk about with other people if you've played the game. It's a different game than a Civilization game, although it appears similar, because it's less "I am the nation of France trying to conquer the world", and instead it's a story about you, a noble of some degree (Duke, count, marquis, king, emperor, whatever) and the political intrigues you engage in to expand your dynasty/secure a future for your sons.
jw_6179

Postby PawnSacrifice » Jan 26th, 2013 @ 2:29pm

Best film of the year was Dredd, without a doubt.

The biggest disapointment of the year is that Dredd flopped at the box office. Now we'll never get to see any sequels exploring the rest of Megacity one and the cursed earth.

The biggest crime of the year is that The Sweeney was more succesful over here in the UK than Dredd. I watched that movie last night and it was terrible. I had heard a lot about Plan B being a decent actor but, my god, he was flipping terrible. Yes, his last album was excellent, but he can't act for toffee.
PawnSacrifice

Postby LiQuid » Jan 26th, 2013 @ 2:32pm

By all rights, Dredd should have flopped in the US, but there's really no excuse for it flopping in the UK. That shit's straight up shameful.
LiQuid

Postby PawnSacrifice » Jan 26th, 2013 @ 2:38pm

True, I half wonder if a lot of Dredd's buzz was stolen by the Raid as that made release sooner thanks to a shorter production time. That is also a contender for worst crime of 2012, the whole thing with the Raid plot being ripped off from the Dredd script. Most of the public (and a lot of film reviewers) didn't realise that and got it the wrong way round, assuming that Dredd was ripping off the Raid. The Raid was good in a good-fight-scenes sort of way, but Dredd is unarguably the better film.

Also, and this must have been said a thousand times before, but Higgins really needs to actually watch the Big Bang Theory. That show is legitimately geeky and even starts off in the first episode, if I recall correctly, with a joke about string theory that you would need to be a geek to understand. The writers really know their stuff and seem to enjoy dropping in references to classic text adventures and the like. Seriously, Higgins, get over this...

Oh yeah, and someone please explain herd immunity to Higgins.
PawnSacrifice

Postby kenzo » Jan 27th, 2013 @ 9:44am

Max was the best guest on the podcast this year, and it wasn't even close. In terms of personality and wit, he's like a young Jeff Green. But he actually can muster enthusiasm for shit, still likes stuff, doesn't just play baby-games and WoW, and isn't talking about his family/being old in lieu of interesting nerdy stuff. Ray Barnholt is a distant second but deserves an honorable mention.

"Worst game is Final Fantasy XIII-2 because of how bad FF13 was." Jesus... Christ. You guys are the fuckin' worst sometimes. Karen and RS, I never want to hear you give Higgins shit again for saying something illogical.
kenzo

Postby Weirzbowski » Jan 27th, 2013 @ 5:28pm

When I watch TBBT I find the stuff they talk about to not be geeky enough. Its like a popular persons view of geekery. They just skim the surface of geek culture with references that the average TV viewer could get.
Weirzbowski

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 27th, 2013 @ 9:43pm

PawnSacrifice wrote:Best film of the year was Dredd, without a doubt.

The biggest disapointment of the year is that Dredd flopped at the box office. Now we'll never get to see any sequels exploring the rest of Megacity one and the cursed earth.

It's selling well on DVD, there could be a sequel.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jw_6179 » Jan 29th, 2013 @ 5:53am

For all TBBT fans here, have you heard about Noobz? Sounds like your kind of movie. You know they're real gamers, because I heard they make a cake joke.
jw_6179

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 29th, 2013 @ 12:15pm

Here's the print for the Hyrule Historia book my girlfriend Leann drew!

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Jan 29th, 2013 @ 12:39pm

Is that you as Tingle?

Also, how lame is it that Tingle is AWOL in the most recent Zelda stuff?

Also also, doesn't this imply that RS is fated to be in a love-reincarnation cycle with Karen?
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 29th, 2013 @ 12:42pm

That's awesome but I prefer Ryan's old teeth.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 29th, 2013 @ 12:49pm

Yeah, Ryan needs the old teeth.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 29th, 2013 @ 12:58pm

kenzo wrote:Is that you as Tingle?

Also, how lame is it that Tingle is AWOL in the most recent Zelda stuff?

Also also, doesn't this imply that RS is fated to be in a love-reincarnation cycle with Karen?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I told my gf to make me the "Buy something, will ya" guy, but she made me Tingle instead. Sigh.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jan 29th, 2013 @ 1:02pm

Master Higgins wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I told my gf to make me the "Buy something, will ya" guy, but she made me Tingle instead. Sigh.

She clearly knows things about you that she doesn't feel comfortable discussing.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 29th, 2013 @ 1:11pm

She really doesn't like me that much :(
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby puppybox » Jan 29th, 2013 @ 2:08pm

Cool picture
puppybox

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 30th, 2013 @ 9:50am

Cause Ryan's a tard and only updates the front post...

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Geekbox -- Episode 205 (2013-01-28)
Wherein we discuss the rumor mill, J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars, the Justice League film team, The Cave, Double Fine’s Kickstarter game, Gas Powered Games vs. Kickstarter, the end of THQ and Epic Mickey, Nintendo’s big announcements, and the rise of Fire Emblem. Starring Ryan Scott, Karen Chu, Adam Fitch, and Ryan Higgins, with special guests Alea Garbagnati and Chris Noyes.
Running Time: 1h 5m 25s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jan 30th, 2013 @ 10:22am

Ryan Scott is SO UNBELIEVABLY BAD at the internet. How does he ever get anything done?
LiQuid

Postby karubah » Jan 30th, 2013 @ 12:15pm

With what Higgins said about game consoles being dead - There usually is a dead period after the initial launch, like the first three months see new games for the system, but after that there is a lull that sets in for several months. I think the last consoles I remember having that type of launch were the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube.

Now consoles suffer from having any major release in the first six months of their lives. Like if you look at the Nintendo 3DS, WiiU, or Sony PS Vita, there were no major releases for six months to a year. Both Sony and Nintendo have been "guilty" of having a launch window mentality that does not guarantee anything new will come out for sometime after a console's come out. I guess Super Street Figher IV for 3DS would be considered the major launch game for that system and that came out March 27, 2011. While the first major game release for the system, Super Mario 3D Land, did not come out until November 13, 2011 - roughly seven months afterwards. Personally I do not think this is cause for alarm because compared to the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis days we have so many different types of games available to us on handhelds, tablets, and game consoles that we pretty much have no excuse to be bored.
karubah

Postby puppybox » Jan 30th, 2013 @ 2:28pm

People's attachment to the original Epic Mickey concept art is weird. It looked nice but no major Disney game was ever going to look exactly like that ,plus I think the game is much closer to the concept art then people give it credit for. But more importantly making the game prettier wasn't going to fix all the problems it had (judging by reviews at least, I never played it). There were complaints about platforming, camera control, etc... art wouldn't change it. Either way its a shame how EM 1 and 2 turned out. It could have been the mascot platformer our generation

And why did Higgins announce *buy* on Yoshi's Epic Yarn? Too awesome for you?
puppybox

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 30th, 2013 @ 2:48pm

Kirby's Epic Yarn didn't do much for me.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby puppybox » Jan 30th, 2013 @ 2:49pm

Master Higgins wrote:Kirby's Epic Yarn didn't do much for me.

Can you tell me what it feels like? Living without a soul I mean

puppybox

Postby Candle » Jan 30th, 2013 @ 2:53pm

Noyes brought the condescending douche out of everybody
Candle

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 30th, 2013 @ 3:20pm

puppybox wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:Kirby's Epic Yarn didn't do much for me.

Can you tell me what it feels like? Living without a soul I mean

Oh, it was super cute and everything, but I've never been a big Kirby fan. That was actually the first Kirby game I played more than 2 minutes of.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Jan 30th, 2013 @ 3:24pm

Hold up. I don't think Higgins realizes Kirby is a Nintendo franchise. You're supposed to love this shit, dude. It's your brand of baby-games.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 30th, 2013 @ 3:27pm

kenzo wrote:Hold up. I don't think Higgins realizes Kirby is a Nintendo franchise. You're supposed to love this shit, dude. It's your brand of baby-games.

Kirby was mostly Gameboy, yeah? I had one, but didn't play a *ton* of games on it.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics