Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Feb 11th, 2013 @ 5:12pm

Mr_eX wrote:There is also a Han Solo movie in development which will probably be the best Star Wars movie
It's cute you think this.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 11th, 2013 @ 5:17pm

That will rest solely on whomever they cast.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Andamanen » Feb 12th, 2013 @ 2:00pm

Regarding Fire Emblem: I just learned you can turn off the general acknowledgments in the options that seemed to irritate both of you. They talked about the game over on the 8-4 podcast, partly because they did the localisation. You worked with Mark MacDonald at 1up, right?

Also: I'm already strangely hyped for your top 10 list for 1998, also known as The Greatest Year of Gaming.
Andamanen
User avatar
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Feb 12th, 2013 @ 1:51pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Feb 12th, 2013 @ 3:27pm

Andamanen wrote:Regarding Fire Emblem: I just learned you can turn off the general acknowledgments in the options that seemed to irritate both of you. They talked about the game over on the 8-4 podcast, partly because they did the localisation. You worked with Mark MacDonald at 1up, right?

Also: I'm already strangely hyped for your top 10 list for 1998, also known as The Greatest Year of Gaming.

I kinda can't wait to hear how dumb RS gets on the topic of FE:A. Anyone have a link to his review? This game is fun but it is mad dumb. Also, I'm super annoyed by the Japanese audio glitch.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby puppybox » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 7:05am

Ryan's reaction to Higgins when talking about Rayman was priceless :lol:
puppybox
User avatar
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Apr 21st, 2011 @ 9:12am
Location: A sunny hammock

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 11:01am

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Geekbox -- Episode 207 (2013-02-12)
Wherein we discuss next-gen consoles, Sony’s E3 embarrassments, the secret history of YouTube, Wii U-exclusive games (or the lack thereof), Ryan Higgins vs. reasonable perceptions, Nintendo’s uphill battle, retro Batman, the already-aborted Justice League movie. Starring Ryan Scott, Adam Fitch, and Ryan Higgins.
Running Time: 1h 15m 38s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 11:09am

Play Mario for Mario...what?
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 11:11am

You can trade games on steam.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 11:16am

Mr_eX wrote:Play Mario for Mario...what?


I play Mario games cause they're Mario games, I don't understand how this is hard to understand. I'm there for the franchise, not for the gameplay.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 11:28am

That's like drinking Coke because its Coke
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 11:35am

Higgins do you go out of your way to say the most depressing shit about everything?
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 11:59am

Mr_eX wrote:That's like drinking Coke because its Coke


Ok? I do. I'd rather drink Coke than generic cola.

LiQuid wrote:Higgins do you go out of your way to say the most depressing shit about everything?


How do you figure?
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 12:21pm

Master Higgins wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Play Mario for Mario...what?
I play Mario games cause they're Mario games, I don't understand how this is hard to understand. I'm there for the franchise, not for the gameplay.
You're the gaming equivalent of lamp-shade comic collectors.

I love certain franchises a lot too. But that's because they've won me over with a history of excellence, not because of some misplaced sense of loyalty to a commercial brand for no reason. If your games have turned to shit over the years, you've lost my loyalty. Games with Mario in them used to stand for excellence. Now, they stand for shovelware. Nintendo turned Mario into Mickey Mouse.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 12:42pm

Master Higgins wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Higgins do you go out of your way to say the most depressing shit about everything?


How do you figure?

You live a life of willful ignorance and fanboy delusions. Far be it from me to tell anyone how to live their life, I just wish I never had to hear about it. You're gross. You're like the anti-me.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 12:57pm

kenzo wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Play Mario for Mario...what?
I play Mario games cause they're Mario games, I don't understand how this is hard to understand. I'm there for the franchise, not for the gameplay.
You're the gaming equivalent of lamp-shade comic collectors.

I love certain franchises a lot too. But that's because they've won me over with a history of excellence, not because of some misplaced sense of loyalty to a commercial brand for no reason. If your games have turned to shit over the years, you've lost my loyalty. Games with Mario in them used to stand for excellence. Now, they stand for shovelware. Nintendo turned Mario into Mickey Mouse.


Lamp-shade Mario collectors would only buy figures and plushies and never play the games.

Nintendo has won me over with years of great games and systems, and I continue to love most Mario games I play. I didn't like Galaxy, didn't beat it, and didn't bother with Galaxy 2, and I'm not out there buying every Mario sport game or whatever, so it's not like I will only buy every Mario game. But side-scrolling platformer Mario? Love every one I've played, and I'll continue to get them.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 1:03pm

Master Higgins wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:That's like drinking Coke because its Coke


Ok? I do. I'd rather drink Coke than generic cola.



It's like drinking coke because its coke and not even trying Pepsi because its not coke.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 1:05pm

But Pepsi is terrible...
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 1:12pm

It's better than coke
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby darfox8 » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 2:03pm

To be fair the "New Super Mario Bros" games aren't shit, but their also not fantastic. They've become sort of cookie cutter and formulaic. Kinda like Ratchet and Clank games. They're a lot of fun and they're well made but most of them are the same exact game with different levels. It's like your buying level packs with these new Mario games.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8
User avatar
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 3:23pm
Location: Ocala, Florida

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby totoro » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 2:09pm

Mr_eX wrote:It's better than coke


I'm fairly certain you're violating a number of local ordinances by saying that.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro
User avatar
 
Posts: 2226
Joined: Dec 28th, 2010 @ 10:32am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 9:19pm

Higgins is essentially the living embodiment of a consumer whore.

The only thing that matters to him is the branding. Does this product have his favorite corporate mascot attached to it? Does it have the stamp of approval of the brand he's familiar with? Quality isn't relevant. Nothing else matters.

Rydog wrote:I'm not sorry for offending you, furries.
Image
DarthEnder
User avatar
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Apr 27th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: NinjaPirate HQ

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 9:49pm

DarthEnder wrote:Higgins is essentially the living embodiment of a consumer whore.

The only thing that matters to him is the branding. Does this product have his favorite corporate mascot attached to it? Does it have the stamp of approval of the brand he's familiar with? Quality isn't relevant. Nothing else matters.

Drink it up, Higgins.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 10:16pm

Since Ryan mentioned how much Dracula X sucked, I posted my thoughts on it here.
DarthEnder
User avatar
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Apr 27th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: NinjaPirate HQ

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 10:17pm

LiQuid wrote:
DarthEnder wrote:Higgins is essentially the living embodiment of a consumer whore.

The only thing that matters to him is the branding. Does this product have his favorite corporate mascot attached to it? Does it have the stamp of approval of the brand he's familiar with? Quality isn't relevant. Nothing else matters.

Drink it up, Higgins.


Image
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 10:39pm

Master Higgins wrote:
LiQuid wrote:
DarthEnder wrote:Higgins is essentially the living embodiment of a consumer whore.

The only thing that matters to him is the branding. Does this product have his favorite corporate mascot attached to it? Does it have the stamp of approval of the brand he's familiar with? Quality isn't relevant. Nothing else matters.

Drink it up, Higgins.


Image

Haha, what a fraud. I know you're probably just being willfully ignorant again, but just IN CASE you didn't know, the only thing that meant was that the publisher paid Nintendo a licensing fee. That thing was stamped on the box of LJN games for fuck's sake.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 10:58pm

I know, it was a joke.

I think I explained myself enough. I'll follow Mario for the franchise, but something like RPGs are where I'll diversify. I don't see it being too different than comics. Some I read cause I really like the creative team. Some I read cause I like the characters.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Feb 13th, 2013 @ 11:17pm

Master Higgins wrote:I know, it was a joke.

I think I explained myself enough. I'll follow Mario for the franchise, but something like RPGs are where I'll diversify. I don't see it being too different than comics. Some I read cause I really like the creative team. Some I read cause I like the characters.
So, I get faithfully following something like Superman, because there have been decades of really good Superman stories, and you see his characters as something that exists beyond just whatever comic issue you're currently reading at the time. He's got a history, a life, romances, families, etc.

So, where does the Mario comparison fit in? That is a fat dude in overalls who steps on shit. There's no deep morality plays here, or interesting stories, or epic romances, or galactic menaces, or anything remotely comparable to the shit you are faithful to in comics.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 14th, 2013 @ 10:49am

Exactly. Following a character specifically only makes sense when there's something to the character. Personality, depth, etc. You're literally just sticking with the character because it's the one that was most popular when you were younger.

It's also weird you say "I don't really have any interest in 2D platformers. I only play Mario because it's Mario." So the question becomes, do you LIKE playing Mario? Or do you suffer through each new Mario game simply because it's Mario. Because if you play New Super Mario U or whatever and you like playing it, then guess what, you like playing 2D Platformers. Because it is one. And you are liking playing it.

Master Higgins wrote:Image
Well played sir.
DarthEnder
User avatar
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Apr 27th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: NinjaPirate HQ

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 14th, 2013 @ 12:24pm

DarthEnder wrote:Exactly. Following a character specifically only makes sense when there's something to the character. Personality, depth, etc. You're literally just sticking with the character because it's the one that was most popular when you were younger.

It's also weird you say "I don't really have any interest in 2D platformers. I only play Mario because it's Mario." So the question becomes, do you LIKE playing Mario? Or do you suffer through each new Mario game simply because it's Mario. Because if you play New Super Mario U or whatever and you like playing it, then guess what, you like playing 2D Platformers. Because it is one. And you are liking playing it.


I like playing them, but platformers aren't my game style of choice. RPGs are. I'll play almost any RPG, but I just stick with the Mario games because of my love of them growing up.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Feb 14th, 2013 @ 12:28pm

DarthEnder wrote:It's also weird you say "I don't really have any interest in 2D platformers. I only play Mario because it's Mario." So the question becomes, do you LIKE playing Mario? Or do you suffer through each new Mario game simply because it's Mario. Because if you play New Super Mario U or whatever and you like playing it, then guess what, you like playing 2D Platformers. Because it is one. And you are liking playing it.
I think it was with Mario Galaxy that I realized that not only did I really not enjoy most platformers, but that no amount of nostalgia for old shit would save a game that I thought was inherently not fun to play. Been off the Nintendo bandwagon ever since, and it's felt truly liberating.

Master Higgins wrote:I like playing them, but platformers aren't my game style of choice. RPGs are. I'll play almost any RPG, but I just stick with the Mario games because of my love of them growing up.
I mostly just feel super bad for you, because that's fuckin' battered-wife logic right there.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron