Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 17th, 2013 @ 7:26am

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:I've had the flu before but it was nothing compared to this sinus infection I got this one time.
I got a sinus infection this year because I had the flu - that's the other thing about catching the flu is that it can lead to secondary infections while your body is messed up. If I put off going to the doctor because again, I thought I was a badass. When I finally went, if I hadn't arrived that day, I would have blown an ear drum.

Don't get me wrong the flu is bad, I missed a week of school because of it when I was a kid. The sinus infection was just so much worse. I had all the flu symptoms but way worse plus I couldn't move my head without the world spinning and I couldn't really hear all that well. I slept for like 4 days straight only waking up to empty my stomach from both ends AT THE SAME TIME. The worst part of it all was it hit me on Christmas day and then when I got back to school we were suppose to write an essay on what we did over Christmas break and I had nothing to write.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jan 17th, 2013 @ 7:33am

I've had ear infections that would have been worse than my stint with the flu but for the fact that I was on THE most amazing painkillers. Without the meds though it was like I'd been shot in the side of the head it hurt so bad. That two hour wait in the ER was probably the most painful experience of my life.
LiQuid

Postby Myndflyte » Jan 17th, 2013 @ 8:30am

Well the first episode I ever listened to of the Geekbox made me have to register so I can comment on the flu discussion, mainly because the whole conspiracy behind the flu shot is annoying to me. Just because you get the flu shot doesn't mean you won't get the flu. In the same vein, not getting the shot doesn't mean you will get the flu. And getting the shot does not give you flu. The whole idea, like Karen was trying to say, is that scientists try to predict what the major stain(s) will be and vaccinate for that. Yes the virus will mutate but that is what it does. It's sole purpose is to survive in the host. It would mutate whether or not the flu shot was around.

You also have to remember every one's immune system is different. Higgins may have never had the flu probably because he was able to fight it better than someone else. Or he did have it but the symptoms were manageable and it wasn't really noticed. Vaccines are made for a reason and they are made to try to keep us from getting sick.

But you also have to keep in mind that viruses are different from bacteria. Your body can eventually take care of viruses (aside from the nasty ones like HIV or ebola) while bacterial infections can be much more of a problem. Your body produces antibodies against viruses which prevent them from infecting host cells. That is why, like Ryan said, it takes a while from the time you get the flu shot till when it is actually effective. This is different from bacterial infections where antibodies don't really do anything. You need to disrupt the bacteria in a way as to prevent it from replicating. If anything is going to mutate and kill us all, it will be bacteria. That is why when you get an antibiotic, you take it all to kill all the bacteria. If you don't take it long enough, you are essentially selecting for the bacteria that can change and be resistant to the antibiotic. That is how we end up with things like MRSA.
Myndflyte

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 17th, 2013 @ 11:32am

Rydog wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:But I've never had the flu, nor a flu shot...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking_(fallacy)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Master Higgins wrote:
LiQuid wrote:As someone who has had the flu before, I can say that it was easily the most miserable week of my entire life but the reason I don't get a flu shot isn't because I'm a conspiracy theorist retard like Higgins, it's because I'm better than the flu. I welcome it to try and come at me again. If you're a pussy ass kid go ahead and get a flu shot. If you're old you probably already have one foot in the grave and don't give a fuck. But for a young, healthy adult there's no reason to bother with that shit. Just get a couple bottles of Gatorade, camp out on your shitter with a puke bucket and sweat it out like a fucking man.

If having the flu means you've got a fever and throwing up/diarrhea for a few days, I can almost 100% say I've never had the flu.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Rydog » Jan 17th, 2013 @ 11:46am

Master Higgins wrote:
Rydog wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:But I've never had the flu, nor a flu shot...

Master Higgins wrote:
LiQuid wrote:As someone who has had the flu before, I can say that it was easily the most miserable week of my entire life but the reason I don't get a flu shot isn't because I'm a conspiracy theorist retard like Higgins, it's because I'm better than the flu. I welcome it to try and come at me again. If you're a pussy ass kid go ahead and get a flu shot. If you're old you probably already have one foot in the grave and don't give a fuck. But for a young, healthy adult there's no reason to bother with that shit. Just get a couple bottles of Gatorade, camp out on your shitter with a puke bucket and sweat it out like a fucking man.

If having the flu means you've got a fever and throwing up/diarrhea for a few days, I can almost 100% say I've never had the flu.

Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 17th, 2013 @ 11:58am

Nice one, dude.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Jan 17th, 2013 @ 1:17pm

I haven't listened to the podcast yet (I will on the airplane). But the way things sound in this discussion thread are hilarious. Higgins, vaccines are science. SCIENCE. Trying to deny their benefits is seriously the same kind of stupid shit as arguing against evolution. I want you to realize that you're being *that guy* right now.
kenzo

Postby ChristophBA » Jan 17th, 2013 @ 1:37pm

I am not sure If Ryan just doesn't belief in the flu shot or vaccination overall. The "flu shot" is if I understand it right a Vaccine so flu shots = bull -> vaccination = bull but ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poliomyelitis#Vaccine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallpox#Prevention
oh or just http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vaccine_topics

So if vaccination is a scam why did/is it working ?

Rest of the show was really good and I think I will watch arrow now. I have never heard you guys/girls talk about breaking bad. Doesn't anyone watch it ?

oh and do not get me wrong I really like you Ryan. We all have these stupid conspiracy theory until we get real information. For me I was almost convinced of 911 inside job and for almost one or two years a Global warming skeptic.
ChristophBA

Postby Konanda » Jan 17th, 2013 @ 9:39pm

Hey Higgins, suppose for whatever strange reason when you were born your doctor didn't give you the polio vaccine. You discover this when you are say 25 during a checkup with your doctor and they realise this error. Would you voluntary get the vaccine or just say fuck it?

Also do you not get the recommended booster shots ever 10 years or so for stuff like Tetanus, Rubella, Measles, Diptheria, Mumps, Whooping Cough, etc?

The Influenza usually isn't as severe as other viruses and bacterial diseases that are commonly vaccinated for but the same concept is used and has improved the overall health of much of the world. Trying to say vaccines don't provide a benefit is super idiotic, like the Taliban in Pakistan's assertion UNICEF distribution of the Polio vaccine is actually a spy mission. (Although I imagine there are more hidden motives and agenda behind that)

I'm not saying you must get the vaccine or anything, however it is beneficial. Personally I haven't had a flu shot in about 7 or 8 years but that's mostly because I'm still a healthy young adult that usually gets adequate rest. For me it's more an issue of not having the time to do it or forgetting about the period it's being offered/already getting what feels like flu before the period where the public clinic days really ramp up and thinking meh, I'm already good more than anything. (as opposed to reluctance to get it due to the belief it is not beneficial)

(Note, I haven't listened to this yet and likely won't until the weekend but what being said second hand here about what Higgins is saying sounds beyond stupid.)
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 10:45am

ChristophBA wrote:I am not sure If Ryan just doesn't belief in the flu shot or vaccination overall. The "flu shot" is if I understand it right a Vaccine so flu shots = bull -> vaccination = bull but ...

Just flu shots. When you get a vaccination, what you're getting it for doesn't mutate. The flu changes every year. I understand how it can be possibly helpful for older people, but when the side-effects of a flu shot are "flu-like symptoms", what's the point? Dead or not, you're injecting yourself with the flu.

Konanda wrote:Hey Higgins, suppose for whatever strange reason when you were born your doctor didn't give you the polio vaccine. You discover this when you are say 25 during a checkup with your doctor and they realise this error. Would you voluntary get the vaccine or just say fuck it?

Also do you not get the recommended booster shots ever 10 years or so for stuff like Tetanus, Rubella, Measles, Diptheria, Mumps, Whooping Cough, etc?

Sure, I'd get it. I haven't got any booster shots since I was a kid, no. Wasn't aware you needed them more than once.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 11:18am

Higgins, you are an insane person. I honestly don't know how you can think the things you think. You actually liked Brave?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby puppybox » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 11:35am

Mr_eX wrote:Higgins, you are an insane person. I honestly don't know how you can think the things you think. You actually liked Brave?

Oh Higgins. It just gets worse and worse
puppybox

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 12:30pm

puppybox wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Higgins, you are an insane person. I honestly don't know how you can think the things you think. You actually liked Brave?

It was ok, better than most recent Pixar movies (Toy Story 3, Up).
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 12:41pm

You think Brave is better than Toy Story 3 and Up? What?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 12:42pm

Yes. I didn't like those movies.

Brave didn't make me want to slit my wrists due to depression by the end.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby darfox8 » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 1:02pm

Brave is fine as a simple movie for kids. But I thought it was going to be an awesome adventure movie so I was super disappointed.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby LiQuid » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 1:04pm

Why don't you like the best Toy Story movie?
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 1:17pm

darfox8 wrote:Brave is fine as a simple movie for kids. But I thought it was going to be an awesome adventure movie so I was super disappointed.

I don't disagree with you there. It wasn't as advertised.

LiQuid wrote:Why don't you like the best Toy Story movie?

1? By 3, it's just the same sappy, sad story.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 1:29pm

I find it hard to believe a guy who listens to the music you do doesn't just wanna slit his wrists from depression at all times by default. A weepy Toy Story movie should be a pick-me-up for you!
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 2:29pm

Master Higgins wrote:
ChristophBA wrote:I am not sure If Ryan just doesn't belief in the flu shot or vaccination overall. The "flu shot" is if I understand it right a Vaccine so flu shots = bull -> vaccination = bull but ...
Just flu shots. When you get a vaccination, what you're getting it for doesn't mutate. The flu changes every year. I understand how it can be possibly helpful for older people, but when the side-effects of a flu shot are "flu-like symptoms", what's the point? Dead or not, you're injecting yourself with the flu.
This isn't a matter of opinion, it's wrong information. Some diseases mutate wildly, while others don't. The flu mutates like crazy. The cold isn't actually a disease, but an umbrella term for a series of different diseases that all give certain cold-like symptoms. There are no 'side-effects' to a flu shot, unless you're allergic to eggs or something. This myth stems from the first batch of flu vaccinations where there were side effects and people did develop the flu, but that was literally like, 40 years ago and the process has been greatly refined. The flu shot is, itself, dead. 100%. There's no way it can infect you because the stuff that does the infecting is DEAD and inert.

Konanda wrote:Hey Higgins, suppose for whatever strange reason when you were born your doctor didn't give you the polio vaccine. You discover this when you are say 25 during a checkup with your doctor and they realise this error. Would you voluntary get the vaccine or just say fuck it?
Sure, I'd get it. I haven't got any booster shots since I was a kid, no. Wasn't aware you needed them more than once.[/quote]Jesus Christ, you should go to a doctor, get a physical, and have them explain all this shit to you. Yes, you need boosters because some immunities in your body naturally fade over time.

Master Higgins wrote:
puppybox wrote:
It was ok, better than most recent Pixar movies (Toy Story 3, Up).
Never seen Toy Story 3 (I have it on disk, just waiting for an opportune time to watch), but Brave wasn't better than Up. Sad-story in the beginning aside, Up was way more of an adventure, and that was awesome. Plus, fat asian kid and grumpy old man - always great. That said, I don't get the Brave-bashing. I mean, it's no Cars, let alone Cars 2. It's kinda dumb and simple but it's not offensive and kids and people like my mom love it. Plus, celtic stuff, that's always cool, right?
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 2:43pm

Speaking of the flu, item #3 in this Cracked article is fairly pertinent to this discussion.

I also found #4 to be particularly interesting.
Last edited by DarthEnder on Jan 19th, 2013 @ 4:42pm, edited 2 times in total.
DarthEnder

Postby kenzo » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 2:59pm

I think it's funny that people who hide inside all day think that's going to help them not catch the flu, when in reality, it's staying indoors that helps the flu spread, since being indoors also means people are within close proximity to each other for longer duration of time. During this flu epidemic, only Hawaii has avoided the worst of all the states, and that's basically because the weather is nice so people go outside and open their windows instead of hunkering down and never leaving the house/their work.
kenzo

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 4:28pm

Higgins I don't care what great movies you hate or 7/10 movies you love, the real issue here is that you don't understand basic medical science.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby kenzo » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 6:05pm

I listened to the podcast (I suppose I should now address which one #203) - and I have a few thoughts beyond the stupid disease-talk.

• Congrats to R.S. for finally playing Chrono Cross. And double props for keeping an open mind about it and not letting the "Chrono" tag weigh down his expectations or thoughts on the game. I will however say "LOL" at his tacit admission to pirating the game when it's readily available to buy and play via the PSN. Playing on PC probably makes it look/run better, but PSOne games generally look/play great on portables, and I know RS has a PSP and a Vita. My only (completely unsolicited) advice for playing Chrono Cross - yeah, there's a ton of side characters. Don't worry about collecting them if you don't want to. Some of them have cool side stories, most of them are completely disposable and don't affect the story in any way, and you're never really forced to use most of them so you don't have to worry about keeping them leveled up. I mention this because one of the biggest complaints levied against Chrono Cross is the unnecessarily large cast - but that's not really a demerit when it's totally ancillary and the game doesn't force you to do this shit.
  • That said, I have to harp on it again, it breaks my balls that you guys love all these poopy games, and say this or that is the best, and not a single one of you have played the gaming-perfection that is the Suikoden series. Especially when you all lament how time consuming RPGs are, and how Suikoden is (a lot like Chrono Trigger) not a big time investment at all and the game speeds along at break-neck speeds. I don't care if you have to pirate the games (please do actually, they emulate well) just play them.
  • Big thanks for pimping the Trophy Competition and the /alltalk podcast! I will say about the trophy competition that it's not just PS3 trophies - you can get trophies playing Vita games too and it all goes towards your PSN trophy level.
kenzo

Postby mirandoaotros » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 9:04pm

While Higgins is crazy, if the cold is a umbrella term for any disease that gives similar symptoms, then flu is a cold. And Higgins is right on that. Also Karen is wrong on this same point when she says stomach flu, there's no thing as a stomach influenza, so it's a stomach cold or just a stomach virus, again reinforcing flu = cold in common terms.

Finally, Hell Yeah!! on Gabriel Knight as best game of 93/best adventure game ever, Ryan couldn't be more right on that one!
mirandoaotros

Postby Konanda » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 9:34pm

Master Higgins wrote:

Sure, I'd get it. I haven't got any booster shots since I was a kid, no. Wasn't aware you needed them more than once.

You should definitely be getting booster shots for certain diseases. Certain diseases are very aggressive once infected with them meaning should an infection occur it would be best to have your body to be able to identify and fight it quickly. Thing is over time the internals of your body will change just as the outside does (it's one of the ways how people who never were allergic to something suddenly are seemingly out of the blue) and it's protection against certain diseases or viruses can and often does wane. So to ensure continued protection, you get a booster shot
One of the main one you should be getting every 10 years or so is the Td which is an inert combination of Tetanus, and Diptheria.

I don't know about in the States but over here the Ontario Ministry of Health will give your parents an Immunization Record to keep with you when you get your first shots (around 2 months) that you are supposed to keep with you and keep updated so that you/legal guardian can easily keep track of your immunizations so you know which one you have and when you need to get new ones. For instance I got my adolescent age Tdap (Td plus Pertussis [Whooping Cough]) back in March 2006 so once 2016 roles around I should be getting another Td in the Spring to keep my body prepared for a possible infection.

Here is a U.S. Government webpage I found outlining what you should be getting as an adult. However like anything to do with questions about your health you should first talk with your doctor for what you should be getting.
Last edited by Konanda on Jan 18th, 2013 @ 9:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konanda

Postby Konanda » Jan 18th, 2013 @ 9:40pm

mirandoaotros wrote:Also Karen is wrong on this same point when she says stomach flu, there's no thing as a stomach influenza, so it's a stomach cold or just a stomach virus, again reinforcing flu = cold in common terms.

Stomach flu is just a slang term for Gastroenteritis, which is an inflammation of the stomach and/or small intestine and can be caused by a number of things not just viruses
Konanda

Postby lorenzosama » Jan 19th, 2013 @ 1:25am

It's pretty appalling how ignorent Higgins is about basic high school biology. Even after Ryan and Karen explain to him how vaccines work he still equates them with the flu. After saying bacteria and viruses are "pretty much the same thing" I knew this was going to be an interesting discussion, but Higgens really needs to be better informed, especially before making up how the conspiracy that the flu vaccine only makes the flu mutate more. Higgens, I'm not really sure how you believe some of the things you do and normally it's fine, but please don't spread misinformation, the anti vaccine movement is already surprisingly popular, I'd hate to have it bleed into one of my favorite podcasts.

Thanks Ryan and Karen for doing your best to set him straight with knowlege. I'd love to listen to the "Sci-box"
lorenzosama

Postby Rydog » Jan 19th, 2013 @ 1:40am

kenzo wrote:Congrats to R.S. for finally playing Chrono Cross. And double props for keeping an open mind about it and not letting the "Chrono" tag weigh down his expectations or thoughts on the game. I will however say "LOL" at his tacit admission to pirating the game when it's readily available to buy and play via the PSN. Playing on PC probably makes it look/run better, but PSOne games generally look/play great on portables, and I know RS has a PSP and a Vita. My only (completely unsolicited) advice for playing Chrono Cross - yeah, there's a ton of side characters. Don't worry about collecting them if you don't want to. Some of them have cool side stories, most of them are completely disposable and don't affect the story in any way, and you're never really forced to use most of them so you don't have to worry about keeping them leveled up. I mention this because one of the biggest complaints levied against Chrono Cross is the unnecessarily large cast - but that's not really a demerit when it's totally ancillary and the game doesn't force you to do this shit.

I've owned Chrono Cross (but never got around to playing it) for many years. In fact, my PS1 copy is sitting on a shelf right next to me. When I decided to play it last week, I had initially intended on buying the PSN version and playing it on my PSP, but the fact that my PSP is running custom firmware seems to have me stonewalled from any PSN downloads and/or PS3-to-PSP transfers. And if I'm gonna play it on a non-portable console, I'm gonna do it on whatever looks the nicest. So, I'm emulating it on my PC -- I did not pirate it.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby kenzo » Jan 19th, 2013 @ 1:47am

Rydog wrote:I've owned Chrono Cross (but never got around to playing it) for many years. In fact, my PS1 copy is sitting on a shelf right next to me. When I decided to play it last week, I had initially intended on buying the PSN version and playing it on my PSP, but the fact that my PSP is running custom firmware seems to have me stonewalled from any PSN downloads and/or PS3-to-PSP transfers. And if I'm gonna play it on a non-portable console, I'm gonna do it on whatever looks the nicest. So, I'm emulating it on my PC -- I did not pirate it.
1.) You've had it for years and never played it? :?
2.) I thought you had a Vita? Or at least access to one.
3.) How about the bios you're using for that emulator? ;)
4.) For the record, I don't care if you're pirating anything this old - which is why I said 'LOL' and not 'tisk tisk'. In fact, I openly endorse pirating older games, especially if they're hard to get legally like Suikoden II. I'm just happy you're finally giving this awesome game a good go. Hopefully you can stick around for the 2nd disk.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics