Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 19th, 2013 @ 4:24am

Rydog wrote:I've owned Chrono Cross (but never got around to playing it) for many years. In fact, my PS1 copy is sitting on a shelf right next to me. When I decided to play it last week, I had initially intended on buying the PSN version and playing it on my PSP, but the fact that my PSP is running custom firmware seems to have me stonewalled from any PSN downloads and/or PS3-to-PSP transfers. And if I'm gonna play it on a non-portable console, I'm gonna do it on whatever looks the nicest. So, I'm emulating it on my PC -- I did not pirate it.

Play Suikoden 2, you damned scurvy dog!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 19th, 2013 @ 7:40am

LiQuid wrote:
Rydog wrote:I've owned Chrono Cross (but never got around to playing it) for many years. In fact, my PS1 copy is sitting on a shelf right next to me. When I decided to play it last week, I had initially intended on buying the PSN version and playing it on my PSP, but the fact that my PSP is running custom firmware seems to have me stonewalled from any PSN downloads and/or PS3-to-PSP transfers. And if I'm gonna play it on a non-portable console, I'm gonna do it on whatever looks the nicest. So, I'm emulating it on my PC -- I did not pirate it.

Play Suikoden 2, you damned scurvy dog!


Don't listen to liquid. Just play Jade Cocoon instead.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Rydog » Jan 19th, 2013 @ 3:11pm

kenzo wrote:
Rydog wrote:I've owned Chrono Cross (but never got around to playing it) for many years. In fact, my PS1 copy is sitting on a shelf right next to me. When I decided to play it last week, I had initially intended on buying the PSN version and playing it on my PSP, but the fact that my PSP is running custom firmware seems to have me stonewalled from any PSN downloads and/or PS3-to-PSP transfers. And if I'm gonna play it on a non-portable console, I'm gonna do it on whatever looks the nicest. So, I'm emulating it on my PC -- I did not pirate it.
1.) You've had it for years and never played it? :?
2.) I thought you had a Vita? Or at least access to one.
3.) How about the bios you're using for that emulator? ;)
4.) For the record, I don't care if you're pirating anything this old - which is why I said 'LOL' and not 'tisk tisk'. In fact, I openly endorse pirating older games, especially if they're hard to get legally like Suikoden II. I'm just happy you're finally giving this awesome game a good go. Hopefully you can stick around for the 2nd disk.

Nah, no Vita of my own yet. I probably uhhhh acquired the PS1 BIOS image somewhere. I've had this emulator installed for so long that I've forgotten about that. But I do try to pursue legitimate means, especially when it comes to really large games (i.e. not older ROM files, which I can archive easily).

And yeah, I can already tell that I'm in for Chrono Cross for the long haul. Currently distracted with Fire Emblem: Awakening and The Cave, but I'll get back to it. :)
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby mirandoaotros » Jan 19th, 2013 @ 9:34pm

Konanda wrote:
mirandoaotros wrote:Also Karen is wrong on this same point when she says stomach flu, there's no thing as a stomach influenza, so it's a stomach cold or just a stomach virus, again reinforcing flu = cold in common terms.


Stomach flu is just a slang term for Gastroenteritis, which is an inflammation of the stomach and/or small intestine and can be caused by a number of things not just viruses


that's exactly my point, Karen get super offended when Higgins says "flu, cold whatevs" and goes on the "flu is influenza" rant, completely oblivious to the fact that even she's using flu as a umbrella term for many diseases with flu/cold like symptoms and not just influenza.
mirandoaotros
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Jan 7th, 2012 @ 4:55am

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Jan 20th, 2013 @ 12:52am

Rydog wrote:And yeah, I can already tell that I'm in for Chrono Cross for the long haul. Currently distracted with Fire Emblem: Awakening and The Cave, but I'll get back to it. :)
I just finished playing the demo for the 3DS Fire Emblem game. It's pretty alright, perhaps even good! But not anywhere near the same league as Chrono Cross (and certainly not like a real TRPG like Tactics Ogre). Also, seriously, can we get a good decade long ban on protagonists with amnesia, please?
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Rydog » Jan 20th, 2013 @ 4:00am

kenzo wrote:
Rydog wrote:And yeah, I can already tell that I'm in for Chrono Cross for the long haul. Currently distracted with Fire Emblem: Awakening and The Cave, but I'll get back to it. :)
I just finished playing the demo for the 3DS Fire Emblem game. It's pretty alright, perhaps even good! But not anywhere near the same league as Chrono Cross (and certainly not like a real TRPG like Tactics Ogre). Also, seriously, can we get a good decade long ban on protagonists with amnesia, please?

Just because it isn't 3D with a bunch of stupid elevation doesn't mean it's not a real tactical RPG! There's a LOT of granularity to this game that you probably don't get to see in the demo (but I'll have more to say about that later).
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 20th, 2013 @ 4:22am

Rydog wrote:
kenzo wrote:
Rydog wrote:And yeah, I can already tell that I'm in for Chrono Cross for the long haul. Currently distracted with Fire Emblem: Awakening and The Cave, but I'll get back to it. :)
I just finished playing the demo for the 3DS Fire Emblem game. It's pretty alright, perhaps even good! But not anywhere near the same league as Chrono Cross (and certainly not like a real TRPG like Tactics Ogre). Also, seriously, can we get a good decade long ban on protagonists with amnesia, please?

Just because it isn't 3D with a bunch of stupid elevation doesn't mean it's not a real tactical RPG! There's a LOT of granularity to this game that you probably don't get to see in the demo (but I'll have more to say about that later).

Is "granularity" what you call having to grind with characters that are useless 90% of the time for that other 10% of the time when they will save your life? Because that's what Fire Emblem means to me.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Rydog » Jan 20th, 2013 @ 4:37am

LiQuid wrote:
Rydog wrote:
kenzo wrote:
Rydog wrote:And yeah, I can already tell that I'm in for Chrono Cross for the long haul. Currently distracted with Fire Emblem: Awakening and The Cave, but I'll get back to it. :)
I just finished playing the demo for the 3DS Fire Emblem game. It's pretty alright, perhaps even good! But not anywhere near the same league as Chrono Cross (and certainly not like a real TRPG like Tactics Ogre). Also, seriously, can we get a good decade long ban on protagonists with amnesia, please?

Just because it isn't 3D with a bunch of stupid elevation doesn't mean it's not a real tactical RPG! There's a LOT of granularity to this game that you probably don't get to see in the demo (but I'll have more to say about that later).

Is "granularity" what you call having to grind with characters that are useless 90% of the time for that other 10% of the time when they will save your life? Because that's what Fire Emblem means to me.

I'll have more to say once the review embargo lifts; there's a bunch of interesting mechanics. But damn, Fire Emblem's not THAT grindy (at least, the GBA ones never were). I remember grinding my healers up in the GBA Fire Emblems because it was free and fast and easy, but the combat units that I actually used leveled up generally just fine over the course of the game. I always orchestrate final hits on the guys who need XP, but that's the way the game is supposed to work (I wouldn't call it grinding).
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 20th, 2013 @ 4:53am

It's annoying. Tactics Ogre on PSP revolutionized tactical RPGs because everyone on the team gets an equal cut of the EXP earned in a fight. A genius idea and it's embarrassing that it took 30 years for someone to do it, and even more embarrassing that every other game doesn't do it.

Having to be mindful of who gets the killing blow in a game where you should be more concerned with matters of life and death is terrible game design.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Jan 20th, 2013 @ 9:36am

I have to side with LiQuid on this. And it's also not just matters of no elevation/terrain. But it doesn't seem to matter which direction your units are facing, and character skills/classes (if past Fire Emblems hold true) are static/hands off/egregiously simple. If it wasn't for the fact that death is permanent or the crushing difficulty (both things that can be turned off) this game feels like baby's first TRPG. Which honestly isn't the worst thing because sometimes it's nice to have a simple/non-stressful game (something I greatly appreciate nowadays), but it still feels like a lot is missing here. LiQuid is also right on the money with Tactics Ogre and the removal of grinding. And not only is XP spread evenly over the party, but you also level up entire classes and not just individual characters - so if a unit does die, you're not entirely boned and can replace them with another unit at the same level (just missing all the accrued specializations you've built up). It's kinda bad that games like this haven't learned any lessons from revolutionary games like Tactics Ogre or Valkyria Chronicles and is completely stuck in its ways/stuck in time.

But I'll keep an open mind and look forward to reading your review since the demo did only go two missions deep.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby puppybox » Jan 20th, 2013 @ 9:20pm

Fire Emblem doesn't split experience? That sucks. I downloaded the demo but haven't tried it yet and my interest just dropped dramatically. I just don't have the time or patience these days to worry about making sure everyone gets their death blows in
puppybox
User avatar
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Apr 21st, 2011 @ 9:12am
Location: A sunny hammock

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby manta173 » Jan 21st, 2013 @ 12:52pm

Higgins you are an idiot. Seriously go to a doctor shut your mouth and learn something.

I will confirm a lot of the previous posts here.

This is the flu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFdDRhNAqF8
This medication is used to keep the flu from getting worse and causing complications. And people that claim it does not work started it too late for it to be effective. Taking medication based on the directions is important.

The vaccine is 100% dead so you cannot get the flu from it. It takes time to work (2 weeks). It does not cover every strain just the ones the CDC and other global scale health organizations are worried about.

Viruses and bacteria are less closely related than you are to a coconut. (Literally)

Side note from my pharmacist wife:
They intentionally leave strains out of the vaccine because 40 years ago it was causing concerns with the mutation speed. But the vaccine makers take that into account so that the flu actually mutates less than it did in the past even though more people are more exposed today.

So being concerned about mutation is stupid especially if you get the flu because you didn't bother to get a flu shot you give it a chance to replicate and mutate inside of you when it would not have gotten that chance if you did not get infected.
manta173
User avatar
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011 @ 9:54am
Location: Decatur, AL

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 21st, 2013 @ 1:10pm

Tell it to these people!

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby darfox8 » Jan 21st, 2013 @ 1:21pm

Captain Trips was man made as like a weapon or something. It's not really what your afraid of with the flu shots. Also stay tuned for /alltalk Watches: The Stand.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8
User avatar
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 3:23pm
Location: Ocala, Florida

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 21st, 2013 @ 1:25pm

darfox8 wrote:Captain Trips was man made as like a weapon or something. It's not really what your afraid of with the flu shots. Also stay tuned for /alltalk Watches: The Stand.


THIS
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Jan 21st, 2013 @ 3:19pm

manta173 wrote:Higgins you are an idiot. Seriously go to a doctor shut your mouth and learn something.

Image
SHOW ME YOUR RAAAAGEEEEE!!!!!
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby PawnSacrifice » Jan 22nd, 2013 @ 10:09am

Ryan Higgins being unable to grasp the basic concept of vaccination on this weeks episode may well be the most depressing section I have listened to on the Geekbox, or any podcast for that matter. Please tell me it was all a big joke?!?!?!?!?
PawnSacrifice
User avatar
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Jan 22nd, 2013 @ 10:04am

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:16am

Whar's the new episoad?!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 9:20am

Uh, that's a good question...
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Rydog » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 4:02pm

LiQuid wrote:Whar's the new episoad?!

It's up now. TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 4:11pm

You're technically LAZY! :lol:
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 5:21pm

Early contender for favorite Ryan Scott quote of 2013:

*while stuffing his face* "We've got to have standards!" *MUNCHMUNCHMUNCH*
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 6:10pm

http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/p ... ang-theory

Thinking Big Bang Theory is funny and non-offensive to nerds is fine and you're entitled to your point of view, but dismissing outright that actual nerds do is shitty practice. Saying it's "nerd blackface" is extreme and silly, but it's an apt, snarky, succinct way of pointing out that the show derives a lot of its humor at nerds' expense. I love the comparisons this guy makes between Abed and Sheldon and I think the shows' treatment of those two specific characters speaks volumes about how they view nerds in general.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 6:30pm

Pretty decent article LiQuid. I thought this was something that could have used elaboration upon and more Community parallels:

Another troubling thing about Big Bang is its insidious homophobia. We are supposed to laugh whenever Howard and Raj do something which could be considered as homosexual. The closeness of their friendship is the target of jokes as is their fear and disgust at being mistaken for a gay couple.
Compared to Community where Troy and Abed are adorable, and their bromosexual romance is usually some of the most awesome bits of the show instead of something that ought be ridiculed.

I can't wait to get home and listen to this episode. It's honestly embarassing that the only person who used to watch Community on this podcast was Higgins (further underscoring how Higgins is easily this podcasts' best person ever).
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Weirzbowski » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 6:38pm

Master Higgins on point about the Big Bang Theory.
Weirzbowski
User avatar
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 6:36pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 6:48pm

Most vilified to geek hero in one week. Damn, the internet is fickle! :lol: 8-)
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 6:54pm

Higgins wins the Geekboxie for Most Loved and Most Hated cast member 3 years running!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 7:00pm

I'm dismayed to find out there's lost footage of Adam drunken rambling about Hunger Games. Ryan Scott you can't allow this kind of shit to happen.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby puppybox » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 7:09pm

Higgins had a pretty good "WHAAAAAAAAAT" when Ryan said his favorite animated movie of all time was Wreck It Ralph :lol:

Did the geekbox ever do the spoiler episode on Sherlock season 2?

Also, Jeff Green was robbed!!! Stop sucking up to the fans
puppybox
User avatar
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Apr 21st, 2011 @ 9:12am
Location: A sunny hammock

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 7:49pm

Master Higgins wrote:Most vilified to geek hero in one week. Damn, the internet is fickle! :lol: 8-)
I hurt you because I care. It wounds me that someone so great watches a show like SAO and likes it.

puppybox wrote:Higgins had a pretty good "WHAAAAAAAAAT" when Ryan said his favorite animated movie of all time was Wreck It Ralph :lol:
Queue up the facepalm jpgs.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron